March 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have seen a few on Amazon which i am considering but cant decide between

The Soul of Tone: Celebrating 60 Years of Fender Amps

and

Fender Amps: Fifty Years

Anyone read either of these?

FILTHYJOE
March 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM
The "Soul of Tone" is a better coffee table book than a read. The Teagle/Sprung "Fender Amps: Fifty Years" book is very informative.

P.S. I own both of them.

tiktok
March 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
They're both good, but very different. Soul of Tone is the deluxe history of Fender amps--all the nitty gritty, lots of color pictures, CD of sound examples. If the "Fifty Years" book is the Teagle & Sprung, then it's the compilation of all their columns on Fender amp models from 20th Century Guitar magazine. Lots of good information (and funny commentary), but the Wheeler book is the current "bible".

Another good one is the Parrish "Fender Amp Book". Much easier to carry around to pawn shops and garage sales.

malko
March 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
thanks guys. so Soul of Tone has more information?

fancychords
March 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I too have both but the Soul of Tone is "the" one..

Gareth John
March 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Soul of tone is a really great book. It's detailed enough for those with a passionate interest in Fender amps and the Fender company. It's one of my favourite books, along with the Blackguard book and the Stratocaster cronicles. I also like Richard R Smith's the Sound heard around the world (about Fender as a whole, not just amps). Soul of tone really is a must.

tiktok
March 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
thanks guys. so Soul of Tone has more information?

Yes.

SamBooka
March 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
+1 SoT

T Prior
March 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I have them both I think they are both excellent.

Funkyryno
March 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The included CD's with Soul of Tone are all Greg Koch. It's worth the price of the book just to hear him demo the amps. The tone he gets with a Deluxe Reverb and a Tele gives me goosebumps.