$vboptions[bbtitle]

Dimarzio Area T bridge pickup

clapointe
February 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Needing your input on the Dimarzio Area T bridge pickup ! I'm wanting to play classic rock , blues and COUNTRY !!! Will the Area T do the twang for country ???

Chrismo
February 12th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Yes yes YES. It's the best bridge pickup I've ever used.

TG
February 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
It's very good, but being alnico2 you need to take time setting the height. Alnico2 is very height sensitive and a few turns of a screwdriver can make a big difference.

I actually prefer the pickup that the AreaT replaced...the DP412 Virtual Vintage Tele regular output. That's what I have in my tele and esquire and they aren't coming out. Ever.
I did put an AreaT in a thinline I had until recently and I did some experimenting swapping the AreaT and the DP412 between it and my esquire and I felt that the DP412 had the edge over the AreaT, even though the AreaT was very good. I can't remember exactly why now, but I liked either guitar that much more when the DP412 was in it. I ended up leaving the AreaT in the thinline and selling it.
I emailed Dimarzio to tell them that they needed have bothered trying to 'improve' the DP412...and that they didn't anyway. They had it right with the DP412. They emailed back that they didn't agree and that they need to constantly improve and change and move forward, blah, blah, blah....which didn't make sense to me considering that they still make the FS1 strat pickup.
If it ain't broke...

You sometimes see DP412s on eBay.

Ignatius
February 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I've tried the Area T twice. I want to like it. I have an Area Hot T and although I like it a lot, there are times when I wish it was just a tad less hot. I found the Area T to not be hot enough. And this is after carefully experimenting with pickup heights.

TG, I agree with your comments about leaving well enough alone. Perhaps it's the guitar it's in too, but I really like the Area Hot T's predecessor, the DP413. Oh well.

loudguitars
February 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I tried to like my area T. I installed it, gigged with it, tweaked it and removed it. Enough said. It had no balls! In my opinion.

Chrismo
February 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I tried to like my area T. I installed it, gigged with it, tweaked it and removed it. Enough said. It had no balls! In my opinion.

The Area Hot T has balls. I'd give that one a shot.

Funkybot
February 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I love my Area T's but I'm not a country guy so I won't comment on the twang factor. But tor rock tones, it's certainly more than capable and sounds great.

Voicing 13
February 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Is it a stack pickup?

Chrismo is making me very curious about the pup.

TeleJelly
February 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Don't hate me...but maybe the deciding factor as to whether the pickup sounds great or not has more to do with the instruments they are in. Some guitars really shine acoustically/electrically if the neck and body mate well. Just a thought :wink:

Chrismo
February 13th, 2010, 11:50 PM
TeleJelly is right - the pickup should fit the guitar.

Voicing 13 - I believe it does utilize a stack design in order to be hum-canceling. I may be mistaken as it does not look as tall as the Duncan stacks to me.

Voicing 13
February 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks Chrismo!

V

Funkybot
February 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
TeleJelly is right - the pickup should fit the guitar.

Voicing 13 - I believe it does utilize a stack design in order to be hum-canceling. I may be mistaken as it does not look as tall as the Duncan stacks to me.

I read somewhere that they use a weird stack design where the "second" winding is incomplete thus keeping the height down. According to them it's also what allows them to still sound like single coils. It's supposed to be a unique design to Dimarzio.

Voicing 13
February 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Funkybot,
thanks I'll do more research on these. The website doesn't say much.

V

RFurman
February 15th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I am also curious about the Hot Area T. Would it sound bad if it was paired with a regular Area T neck and also use the 4-way switching option?
Thanks,
RWF

Chrismo
February 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Funkybot - that's very similar to what I was told a long time ago. Almost like a dummy coil with the actual coil. They do that with the Bluesbucker...

RFurman - it would not sound bad at all - your bridge pickup would just be slightly gainier than a typical Area T. In fact I was suggested the Area Hot T with my Area T neck because I do play classic rock often.

RFurman
February 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Chrismo,
Question for you -- can you effectively back off your volume pot on that Hot Area T, get it to clean up rather well, and get a little of a part of that vintage twang out of that bridge pup? I really do like the sounds that I have heard (for what little they are worth) on the DiMarzio site and the UTube. You would be a good judge as to whether that pup can get that good sweet sustain and crisp sound that I heard on the DiMarzio site. Thanks for your reply . . .
RFurman

Chrismo
February 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Chrismo,
Question for you -- can you effectively back off your volume pot on that Hot Area T, get it to clean up rather well, and get a little of a part of that vintage twang out of that bridge pup? I really do like the sounds that I have heard (for what little they are worth) on the DiMarzio site and the UTube. You would be a good judge as to whether that pup can get that good sweet sustain and crisp sound that I heard on the DiMarzio site. Thanks for your reply . . .
RFurman

Anytime you roll back your volume you will be cleaning up a pickup - I think with the Area Hot T you should be able to clean up just nicely. It's not so hot that it loses its singlecoil qualities - just a tad thicker for an increased bite with gain.

clapointe
February 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Are you guys using 250k pots or 500k pots ?

Chrismo
February 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I use 250K pots for singlecoils.

jmclaren
February 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I've been using both the Area T bridge and neck pups in my Tele for a couple of weeks now. I'm amazed at how "Tele - like" they sound. I've literally tried dozens of pickups in this same Tele during the past 25 years and I like these the best. I play all kinds of music and find the neck pickup to be great for jazz and blues, while the bridge works for both rock and country. Plus,the middle position has a cool funk / R&B tone. This is an extremely versatile pickup combination. The only downside is that the bridge pup is louder than the neck no matter how I adjust their height.

By the way, I'm in the process of trying different pot combinations and currently have both the volume and tone pots bypassed. I have a 1 meg tone pot on the way from Acme. Will install it when received and let you know how it sounds.

RFurman
February 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
jmclaren,
Are you using the Hot Area T in that bridge combo with the Area T neck? I talked with a tech on the phone today at DiMarzio and he said that it should work. My biggest concerns are that the Hot bridge might be way over the top as compared to the neck. A little greater output on the bridge is ok for me, but a huge difference might be another problem. Thanks for your input here . . .
RFurman

jmclaren
February 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
RFurman;
No, I'm using the standard Area T bridge. I haven't heard the Hot Area T, but it would probably overpower the neck Area T more than I'd like, based on my experience with the standard pup. I almost bought the Hot version initially, and am now glad that I didn't. But don't get me wrong, their outstanding tone and lack of 60 cycle hum make it all worthwhile for me.

Chrismo
February 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I was told the Area T/Area Hot T would pair okay - but I'm thinking the Area Hot T is the solution for Tele players with a 'bucker in the neck.

In my next Tele I'm doing a Dimarzio Minibucker and an Area Hot T.

jmclaren
February 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Chrismo;

I had the exact same thought when I first listened to them. The combo with a Mini bucker in the neck would be awesome. Might sound good with a chambered body, too (335-ish).

RFurman
February 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
To chrismo and jmclaren:
I take it that both of you are using regular Area T's in the bridge and the neck on your teles. Do you feel that you get enough grind out of the bridge when you need it considering this pup will be a little twangier (this word would only be found on a tele site, not Bennie's dictionary) and a little less output than a Hot Area T? I really appreciate all of you fellas replies, believe me . . . .
Thanks,
RFurman

jmclaren
February 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
RFurman;
When I turn my amp up or use a mild OD pedal, I get plenty of grind with the regular Area T. It reminds me of the Tele tone that the lead player for the Pretenders got in the early days.

RFurman
February 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Fair enough, sir, fair enough . . . . thanks for your help and insight.
Rfurman

Chrismo
February 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Rfurman - I certainly get the grind and grit when I need to - with the lower output it makes it easier to clean it up and let it roll when I need to.

Jmclaren - I'd really like to try that combo in a thinline Tele, but it'll likely be a solidbody.

hal
February 18th, 2010, 09:42 AM
No one is address one of the most important things about these pickups--less noise.

I have the original VV pickups in my 68. I originally got them to put in a G & L Asat Classic I had. I sold it to a guy in Australia for a tidy profit, but I put the pickups in the 68. They have been in there about 2 years now. And yes I still have the originals. I did not have to mess up the wiring to do this.

The church service I run is in a room that has the dirtiest power ever. EMF, video and light feeds that are not grounded, shared circuits with who knows what. A regular single coil pickup is just about impossible in that room. These pickups really fix all that and still sound great to me--like a Tele should.

jmclaren
February 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hal;
The less noise issue is a given. That's what caused me to check them out in the first place.

clapointe
February 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
I installed the Area T into the bridge of my Telecaster ! WOW .......... what a great sounding pickup ! I have a Dimazio Twang King in the neck and now the Area T in the bridge !!! It's a great sounding telecaster ! :-)

jmclaren
February 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Clapointe;
How's the balance between the two. Does the Area T overpower the Twang King?

clapointe
February 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Clapointe;
How's the balance between the two. Does the Area T overpower the Twang King?

I had to raise the neck pickup and lower the bridge pickup to balance the volume output of the Area T ! What a great sounding combo with Area T and the Twang King !!! :mrgreen:

dividedsky
March 1st, 2010, 11:49 PM
So the Area T's are pretty powerful? I have a low powered amp and decided I need pickups at least as powerful as the ones that came stock in my Mexican Standard.

TG
March 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
So the Area T's are pretty powerful? I have a low powered amp and decided I need pickups at least as powerful as the ones that came stock in my Mexican Standard.

They are fairly standard vintage output, I believe. But the magnets being alnico2 with a 'softer' magnetic field you can set them closer to the strings if you wish.
But, yes, it should be at least as loud as your MIM pickup. High output pickups don't necessarily just make things 'louder', incidentally. The general rule is that the more output a pickup has the worse it sounds played clean, so choosing 'powerful' pickups to compensate for an amp being low powered wouldn't be the approach I'd take.
For high-gain shenanigans super hot pickups work really well but they don't usually sound very good just plugged into a little amp. Most of us use relatively low output 'vintage' style pickups to get the best clean sound possible and then use the amplifier and/or some sort of boost to get volume and/or dirt. Remember that some of the finest 'loud' recordings were done with old standard 'vintage' pickups. Led Zep, Hendrix, etc...

There is the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot Tele pickup, by the way. Same as the AreaT but with more output.

randysmojo
March 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
The Virtual Vintage Hot was replaced by the Area Hot T. In reviews that I checked out, it almost seemed like the Virtual Vintage Hot was hotter than the Area T And the Area Hot T. There was a VV Hot T on ebay yesterday that might still be there.

Chrismo
March 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
The Virtual Vintage Hot was replaced by the Area Hot T. In reviews that I checked out, it almost seemed like the Virtual Vintage Hot was hotter than the Area T And the Area Hot T. There was a VV Hot T on ebay yesterday that might still be there.

I had one of these in an Esquire - they were rather ballsy for a singlecoil. Sort of like a P-90 in a way.

randysmojo
March 3rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
After a gig last weekend, I decided I've had enough with hum, so I sold off some stuff and just paid for an Area T Bridge pickup. I should get it and have it installed by the end of the weekend. I'll post back with what I think about them.

clapointe
March 5th, 2010, 12:36 AM
The Area T is really the best of both worlds of a 50's and 60's telecaster bridge pickup !

randysmojo
March 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well I played with the Area T last night. It was a wow moment. It sounds completely like a single coil with none of the stale lifeless-ness of other hum cancelling singlecoil like designs I've tried. Actual, it sounds better than the original pickup in my Custom Shop Tele, and equal to the Harmonic Designs Vintage Plus I have had before. This is the bridge pickup for me! Now to find a neck pickup I like as much. Of course I should probably try the matching neck model, but who knows. I might just try to take the cover off the current neck pickup. I't just a little bit dark, but sounds great otherwise.

jmclaren
March 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Randysmojo;
Your experience is similar to mine. I've never heard a dual coil tele pickup sound as much like a single coil as this one. It's the best sounding pickup I've ever had in my Tele. You should try the Area T neck. I like it as much as the bridge pup.

randysmojo
March 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'm strongly considering it! Right now I'm getting a pretty good even tone from the original neck pickup after I changed the pickup cover to a nickel silver cover, but I think I would like the Area more just because of output matching up better.

RnB
March 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I've been using both the Area T's & the Virtual Hot T's for a few years, mainly because they're noiseless, reasonalby priced, & sound great! The neck T is perfect for me. Not muddy at all! When I coupled it w/ the Hot T, it was somewhat mis-matched for me, so I returned to the lesser output of the Area T for the bridge.

When I put a Mini in the neck, I'll put a Vitual Hot T (DP413) in the bridge position. They pair up great together. As you prolly know, it's a disontinued pup, in favor of the new Area Hot T (DP421), which I have not used. For a thick sounding Bridge pu...the Virtual Hot T delivers! I've installed a bunch of them in Teles I've made for people...all w/ Mini's in the neck. Dimarzio's work good in that, you have the capability to switch the wires, if the phasing's reversed when mixing other single coil pups...

I'm curious to know how the newer Area Hot T compares to the older version. You'd think they'd be somewhat similiar?

Area T Sample (http://harryj.net/AreaTele.mp3) by: Harry Jacobson

Rob TeleMan
April 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I've been using both the Area T's & the Virtual Hot T's for a few years, mainly because they're noiseless, reasonalby priced, & sound great! The neck T is perfect for me. Not muddy at all! When I coupled it w/ the Hot T, it was somewhat mis-matched for me, so I returned to the lesser output of the Area T for the bridge.

When I put a Mini in the neck, I'll put a Vitual Hot T (DP413) in the bridge position. They pair up great together. As you prolly know, it's a disontinued pup, in favor of the new Area Hot T (DP421), which I have not used. For a thick sounding Bridge pu...the Virtual Hot T delivers! I've installed a bunch of them in Teles I've made for people...all w/ Mini's in the neck. Dimarzio's work good in that, you have the capability to switch the wires, if the phasing's reversed when mixing other single coil pups...

I'm curious to know how the newer Area Hot T compares to the older version. You'd think they'd be somewhat similiar?

RnB, a question for you: What would you think of the combination of the standard Area T bridge pup (not the hot) with a MiniHumbucker in the neck? I have a Highway One with Bardens I had installed a couple of years ago, and I find that for me they're just too hot and don't "breathe". I've always liked the sound of Fender's Hot Rod '52 with the Duncan Mini. I believe it has a fairly vintage output single coil in the bridge, so I was thinking that the standard Area T might make a good choice. What do you think? My playing stays on the clean side of things; my favorite switch position is the middle. DiMarzio's site says the Area T's are quite height sensitive, so I was hoping that working with that could allow me to balance the volume between the bridge and neck pups. Thanks!

tompson
April 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I use a 5 way-double wafer switch with the Area T's. Not the Strat type. The 3 middle positions split the coils so they are true single coil. Gives it a fatter sound on the lows. Tone is well ballanced. The 2 outside positions are bridge stacked and neck stacked. I have them in a Jay Turser Costum with a 1986 '62 tele rosewood neck. It gets more play time than my '52 tele ri.

TG
April 15th, 2010, 05:14 AM
RnB, a question for you: What would you think of the combination of the standard Area T bridge pup (not the hot) with a MiniHumbucker in the neck? I have a Highway One with Bardens I had installed a couple of years ago, and I find that for me they're just too hot and don't "breathe". I've always liked the sound of Fender's Hot Rod '52 with the Duncan Mini. I believe it has a fairly vintage output single coil in the bridge, so I was thinking that the standard Area T might make a good choice. What do you think? My playing stays on the clean side of things; my favorite switch position is the middle. DiMarzio's site says the Area T's are quite height sensitive, so I was hoping that working with that could allow me to balance the volume between the bridge and neck pups. Thanks!

I've just yesterday installed a new Area Hot T in my Esquire and I think it might be what you're looking for. I've used the DP412 (the pickup the AreaT replaced) and an AreaT for a few years now, and I tried out a Virtual Hot Tele pickup...which I found a bit too 'warm'.

This Area Hot T seems to be in the middle. Plenty of poke but it has a gorgeous clean sound with a sweet and almost smooth top end. I'm still on first impressions, but from A/Bing with my other guitars and trying it through a couple different amps it seems like it may be my favorite tele pickup yet.

Hoodster
May 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Bump.

After extensive reading, the Area Hot T is in the lead for my Esquire project. Anyone else care to weigh in, especially regarding pot values (Dimarzio says you can use 250 or 500 with the Hot T, and I want to be sure to get maximum chime)?

clapointe
May 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I might be hated but after a few months of playing the Area T and playing the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster , I like the Area T so much more !!!

Funkybot
May 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I just want to chime back in and say that the Area Strat pickups are just as good. In fact, I got the pre-wired Area Strat pickguard first, and that's how I settled on the Area T's for my tele. I seriously think these are the best silent single coils on the market. They're the only things that actually sound and play like real single coils, minus the hum of course.

If only they'd make an Area P90...

Jethro
May 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM
What is the main difference between the area t and the tone zones....sound wise

clapointe
June 2nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Well I'm done with the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster and going back to the Area T !!!

JG806
June 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Well I'm done with the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster and going back to the Area T !!!

What? You can't do that! Seriously though I'm interested in both pups so tell me why you're back on the Area T wagon.

clapointe
June 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
The Area T doesn't have the twang of the SD Broadcaster but it sounds like a mean 60's Telecaster ! Plus the clean sound of the Area T is so warm that playing clean cords are so cool ! More growl less twang but more TONE !

clapointe
June 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
The Area T really does sound alot like the Fralin Blues Speical ! Don't hate me !!!!!!!

Chrismo
June 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Multiquote time!

Funkybot wrote:
If only they'd make an Area P90...

The Virtual 90 and Deluxe 90 are the two noiseless P-90 offerings, with the Deluxe 90s aiming for a rounder sweeter sound and the Virtual 90s getting closer to the raw rude P-90 tone. The Deluxe 90s are like Tele pickups on steroids - I have a set in my Black Dove Telecaster.

Jethro wrote:
What is the main difference between the area t and the tone zones....sound wise

The Tone Zones are going to be hotter and focused more towards a humbucker sound. The Area T is aiming for a noiseless Telecaster pickup sound.

Clapoint wrote:
The Area T doesn't have the twang of the SD Broadcaster but it sounds like a mean 60's Telecaster ! Plus the clean sound of the Area T is so warm that playing clean cords are so cool ! More growl less twang but more TONE !

The Area T is totally 60s but it has everything I love about a Tele - twangy, yet warm and versatile. Great pickup! I want the Area Hot T in another Tele.

Wound3rd
June 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I just got an Area Hot T to install in a Partscaster, currently paired with a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck - maybe not the best choice but it's what I had available at the moment. I'm still working with it but I use a POD XT Live for church playing. I have a Strat with the older Virtual Vintage pups and it's a good, clean sounding ax. Really have to pump up the gain to get a lot of OD on it. So far, on the same settings the Hot T seems to overdrive MUCH more. This is brand new this week so I'm still experimenting but it seems to sound better closer to the strings. However it's maybe too hot to get a good clean sound without really backing off the preamp settings. I have yet to put it through my Peavey Classic 50 but the Strat and my other Tele with an SD Broadcaster don't seem to be nearly so aggressive sounding. Also appears that the Pro is a bit louder than the Hot T unless lowered significantly and it's not a "hot" pup. I guess I need to do more tweaking and maybe come up with special settings just for the Hot T. Stay tuned. Oh, and did everyone else's pickup come with the white and black wires already cut short and soldered together? Never bought a Dimarzio like that before. No bare wire either.

middy
June 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Oh, and did everyone else's pickup come with the white and black wires already cut short and soldered together? Never bought a Dimarzio like that before. No bare wire either.

Yep, my Area T bridge is like that. I figure they just assumed most people would install it as if it were a single-coil, but noiseless. Which I did. :grin:

Stylemaster
July 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
The Hot T....oh my head is spinning......:confused:

Durango Twango
July 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I bought a set of Area T's to us temporarily until I decided what I wanted. That was two years ago. They sound great, especially in a mix, are nice and quiet and are a great value. Mine aren't going anywhere.

To address the above comments, pickups are always guitar dependent to my ears. I loaded these into a sub 4# one piece swamp ash body with stupid thin nitro that's very resonant and everything gets along nicely. Great guitar.

mickg
July 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I have the matched set and even though I've just switched out and replaced them with Kinmans 60s I was quite happy with the balance between them. beware though, setting correct height adjustment for your guitar nd your style of playing is even more critical with the Area Ts. They can sound very cardboardy if at the wrong height.

Stylemaster
July 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have the matched set...

Which matched set?

Stylemaster
September 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM

I'm very concerned about finding the right match for my new Area Hot T bridge pickup. I'm convinced the regular Area T neck pickup will have too low an output. I tried a SD Mini SM-1 neck but it was defective and a fiasco so I returned it to the eBay seller. Would you recommend the DiMarzio regular mini-bucker, the DP168, as a good match output and sound for the Hot T bridge pickup?

:?: