$vboptions[bbtitle]

How do I remove white glue from a poly finish?

sawatsky
January 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I recently traded an Epiphone SG for a Squier Telecaster Custom. The previous owner had pasted a page from a magazine (God knows why...) onto the back of the guitar with WHITE GLUE. Anyone have any tips for removing the stuff? I haven't tried anything besides soapy water yet. I was thinking Goo Gone might work or Ronson lighter fluid... but does anyone have any suggestions that I may not be thinking of?

flyingbanana
January 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
If it's elmers type glue...simply use hot water on a spnge and keep wetting it with that warm/hot water while using a plastic scraper...or something softer than the poly, and it will come off. You don't want to use chemicals on it.

Inevitably, the poly will get scratched a bit, but you can simply buff that out using a fine grade polish. What I like now, even better than all that overpriced3M stuff is Mother's Billet Metal Polish.

sawatsky
January 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
If it's elmers type glue...simply use hot water on a spnge and keep wetting it with that warm/hot water while using a plastic scraper...or something softer than the poly, and it will come off. You don't want to use chemicals on it.

Inevitably, the poly will get scratched a bit, but you can simply buff that out using a fine grade polish. What I like now, even better than all that overpriced3M stuff is Mother's Billet Metal Polish.

Thanks for that tip. Will the Mother's polish work well enough to restore the finish to it's original shine? Or is that impossible?

robt57
January 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
If it is sticker glue, small amounts of WD-40...

flyingbanana
January 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for that tip. Will the Mother's polish work well enough to restore the finish to it's original shine? Or is that impossible?

I just used the Mother's polish on my Fender strat deluxe, to remove some light etches (really tiny) where the guitar rubs against my pants, belt, and it took em off with a few minutes of circular rubbing. Then I just used a good wax on it. I'm not this anal retentive normally, but just wanted to see how well this stuff works, and I thought it worked very well. It left no discoloration, and shined up the finish very well.

Honestly though, it depends on how bad the scratches are after you remove the glue. If it's minor stuff...do what I said. If you have bigger scratches, you might want to use a paint specific 3M rubbing compound first, then use the metal polish.

sawatsky
January 25th, 2010, 02:23 AM
If it is sticker glue, small amounts of WD-40...

It's Elmer's white glue. If it were sticker glue, that's exactly what I'd try haha

flyingbanana
January 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Yep....just keep applying hot water with a spnge until it's soft and starts coming off. Instead of scraping, you could simply try rubbing with the same sponge.

Keep us posted and show us some before and after pics.