$vboptions[bbtitle]

Two capacitors??? (questions)

cactusrob
December 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I was replacing some rinky-dink wiring that was added to my Tele (prior to me owning it) and noticed that the guitar has two capacitors.

My first question is about the "standard" one. It's soldered to both pots instead of just the tone pot. Is this normal or is there a special purpose for it?

The second question is about a really tiny capacitor soldered between two of the posts on the volume pot. It's so small I couldn't see a value stamped on it.

Does anybody have any idea what this thing may be for?

Thanks,

rob

mgwhit
December 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
The second question is about a really tiny capacitor soldered between two of the posts on the volume pot. It's so small I couldn't see a value stamped on it.

That's called a treble bleed capacitor. It's there to let some of your highs survive when you turn down your volume knob. Lots of different opinions about them.

Google: treble bleed site:tdpri.com

Twang King
December 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
soldering a cap between two pots is normal. the other little one is a treble bleed cap.

mgwhit
December 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
My first question is about the "standard" one. It's soldered to both pots instead of just the tone pot. Is this normal or is there a special purpose for it?

The tone cap should connect the output of your tone pot to the grounded lug of your volume pot. That's just because most wiring diagrams use the back of the volume pot as the central point of a star ground layout. The important thing is that the output of your tone pot goes through a cap to ground.

cactusrob
December 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
That's called a treble bleed capacitor. It's there to let some of your highs survive when you turn down your volume knob. Lots of different opinions about them.

Google: treble bleed site:tdpri.com

Would that be standard on an 80's Squire Tele? The rest of the wiring was so jacked up with globs of solder everywhere and pieced together wiring, it's obvious someone's been in there before me (I installed a DiMarzio rail p/u in the bridge position I had left over from another guitar - the orig bridge p/u was gone). So is it probable this treble bleed cap was added or has that been a standard Fender thing in the past?

Thanks to both you guys for the info!

Rob

cactusrob
December 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The tone cap should connect the output of your tone pot to the grounded lug of your volume pot. That's just because most wiring diagrams use the back of the volume pot as the central point of a star ground layout. The important thing is that the output of your tone pot goes through a cap to ground.

Thanks. I had seen that before but it seems like I've mainly seen it where the cap was soldered to just the tone pot (maybe I'm confused).
I wondered if maybe there was some special mojo attained by wiring it to both pots. :lol:

When I was a kid I used to wire and rewire stuff all the time so it came a little more natural to me - :smile: I've only recently began dusting off what I remember about all this stuff and getting back into it with some online research etc...

Thanks again!

Rob

mgwhit
December 26th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Would that be standard on an 80's Squire Tele? The rest of the wiring was so jacked up with globs of solder everywhere and pieced together wiring, it's obvious someone's been in there before me (I installed a DiMarzio rail p/u in the bridge position I had left over from another guitar - the orig bridge p/u was gone). So is it probable this treble bleed cap was added or has that been a standard Fender thing in the past?

Sorry, no idea what was standard for that model, but it really doesn't matter if you've changed the pickup(s). Fender has used them on and off through the years. My 90's MIM Standard had one. Modern Standards don't.

There are a lot of different opinions about treble bleed systems, but even most people with widely divergent opinions would probably agree that (a.) the appropriate use of and/or values of treble bleed components should be tailored for the pickups' sound and the pot values, and (b.) it's personal.

Try wiring without it. If you think the highs roll off too fast when you turn down the volume, try adding one.

cactusrob
December 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Cool... thanks

zag1
December 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
For volume mods, I generally use a 220k resistor, & a 471pf cap. I have 'em on all of my guitars except one (too lazy).

frankencat
January 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Question, where in the circuit does the treble bleed cap connect? I have seen diagrams with normal switches but I have a switch that looks a little different and I am not sure where to connect the bleed cap. I could just connect it to the lugs on the volume pot but something tells me that it is not the same thing. Thanks -Frank

cc9cii
January 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Treble bleed caps are normally soldered on the volume pot (the two non-ground lugs). What selector switch you've got has very little to do with the treble bleed cap.