$vboptions[bbtitle]

P90s: Duncan Designed vs GFS vs Tonerider

wetland10
December 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Looking at pickup options for my Squier Custom II. I have the original DUncan Designed P90s in there with the original 250k pots. How do these pickups compare to GFS P90s and Tonerider P90s? One better than the other, is it purely subjective? What do you think? I have no experience with GFS or Tonerider.

Thanks,
Wayne

Telenator
December 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
It all depends on what you're playing. P90's are very versatile pickups and come in a multitude of flavors. You can jazz 'em, rock 'em, blues 'em or just about anything else. I have 5 P90 equipped guitars and was recently involved in a new version of this great old pickup. It's brighter, more articulate and falls somewhere between a P90 and a Ric single coil pickup in sound.

I have a set of Vintage Vibe P90's that were made to fit a mini-humbucker mount and a set of Seymour Duncan P90's fit into Ric toaster covers. Both killer versions in their own right.

Yup, lots to choose from both production and custom P90's!

Chrismo
December 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Those DD pickups are pretty good - they might fall around the same quality of the GFS or Toneriders. I've heard great reviews of GFS and Tonerider P-90s, so if you decide to swap I think you'll be fine either way.

Codger
December 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Iíve used a couple of sets of the GFS P-90s. The neck is reverse wound so you get hum cancelling in the middle position, and theyíre alnico 5, so they may sound warmer than your other pickups. Iíve been happy with them. Some folks have raved about the Mighty Mite for budget P-90s also.

wetland10
December 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
So many to choose from. I think the DD ones are alright, just looking into any alternatives that won't set me back a lot of money but might be a good bang for the buck.

Wayne

Jimo
December 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
GFS Mean 90's = $75 = Alnico 5

Tonerider Rebel 90's = $100 = Anico 2

Which sounds the best--(the best to me would be Leslie West Mississippi Queen rhythm tone???????)

Mumphrey
December 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I don't know how they compare, but the Tonerider are KILLER.

After almost 30 years of playing, and having tried every pickup under the sun,
Tonerider were genuinely impressive.

Jmezz
December 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have the original DUncan Designed P90s in there with the original 250k pots.

Check out Squier's service .pdf. :arrow: http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/current/Tele/Vintage%20Modified%20Tele%20Custom%20II-%20Service.pdf

I have the same guitar in black and thought I only had 250k pots too. Then I popped the hood and saw they were, in fact, 500ks. They're still stock of course. I like the DD pickups in mine. If I were going to switch them for anything they'd probably get bumped for a pair of TV Jones P-90s. I haven't done much research on that, but I want to put a bigsby on it too so that would just complete the whole "vintage modified" deal for me. :cool:

Chrismo
December 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM
GFS Mean 90's = $75 = Alnico 5

Tonerider Rebel 90's = $100 = Anico 2

Which sounds the best--(the best to me would be Leslie West Mississippi Queen rhythm tone???????)

Mean 90.

Jimo
December 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I thought from some of your other post, you would have said Toneriders. The Mean 90's would capture the Mississippi Queen tone better than the toneriders? Also :

BG pups has the Pure 90's on sale for $140 per set??? How would you rate them?

Thanks for the help! JIMO

Jimo
December 6th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I don't know how they compare, but the Tonerider are KILLER.

After almost 30 years of playing, and having tried every pickup under the sun,
Tonerider were genuinely impressive.

Did you try the Rebel 90's?

wetland10
December 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Check out Squier's service .pdf. :arrow: http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/current/Tele/Vintage%20Modified%20Tele%20Custom%20II-%20Service.pdf

I have the same guitar in black and thought I only had 250k pots too. Then I popped the hood and saw they were, in fact, 500ks. They're still stock of course. I like the DD pickups in mine. If I were going to switch them for anything they'd probably get bumped for a pair of TV Jones P-90s. I haven't done much research on that, but I want to put a bigsby on it too so that would just complete the whole "vintage modified" deal for me. :cool:

I have to look again. I think the last time I had worked done on it when we pulled it apart it had 250k pots. I also don't remember it having solid shaft pots.

Wayne

Will Chen
December 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I've got Mean 90's in my Highland Royal (335 copy) w/ 500K pots and love them.

Jimo
December 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I guess I'm just going to have to get a set of each.......ha!..

Jimo
December 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Those DD pickups are pretty good - they might fall around the same quality of the GFS or Toneriders. I've heard great reviews of GFS and Tonerider P-90s, so if you decide to swap I think you'll be fine either way.

The toneriders sound pretty good.....apparently so do the mean 90's........

Rhomco Guitars
December 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I have to look again. I think the last time I had worked done on it when we pulled it apart it had 250k pots. I also don't remember it having solid shaft pots.

Wayne

Unless someone has changed them it will have 500K mini pots. I have just finished doing a refin on mine just to change the color and I put new full sized 500's in mine. I think the SD Design P-90's are awesome and choose them in this guitar over my Gibson and Lollar P-90's.
Best P-90 guitar bang for the buck anywhere (IMHO)
Rob

TNO
December 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
The Mean 90s are really good...just a little more clarity than a real P90. I haven't tried the Toneriders but I think they're wound a bit hotter. The scatter-winding and pure nickel cover should help clarity even with a hotter wind.

musicalmartin
December 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I like my Tonerider Vintage P90 neck in my Thinline .Goes from Warm clean jazz to break up nicely for blues .A matching pair would be a great combo.I really love Toneriders they are quaslity jobs and sound great .I use 250 K pots as I want to keep the Tonerider Hot Classic tele pickup in the bridge just the way it is now .

dadawads
December 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I have a GFS P90 in the neck position on my tele partscaster. The guitar has 500k pots, and a stacked humbucker in the bridge. It's big and jazz/bluesy. A lot like a good humbucker, but with better articulation. I don't claim it's better than the Toneriders, but I am very happy with it. I doubt any other pickup for the same dollars is as good. Get a hot bridge pickup to match it with, because it's pretty strong.

wetland10
December 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Unless someone has changed them it will have 500K mini pots. I have just finished doing a refin on mine just to change the color and I put new full sized 500's in mine. I think the SD Design P-90's are awesome and choose them in this guitar over my Gibson and Lollar P-90's.
Best P-90 guitar bang for the buck anywhere (IMHO)
Rob

I'm going to have another look to make sure. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I looked. I do like the SD Design P90s, but sometimes they seem a little dark to me. Other times they sound great.

Wayne