$vboptions[bbtitle]

Help me fight Bugera V22 gas...

Will Chen
November 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Played one earlier this week and it's been on my mind ever since. Surprisingly good sounding amp for the low price tag. Must fight temptation...

moodus2006
November 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
V22 = :) I bought one on sale and have found it to be a very nice amp. I find 99% of play time at home is through that , the low output triode mode... ah sweet heaven.

evilandy
November 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I can only encourage you to go get this amp.:twisted:

Hey, I used to live on Omar Ln in Plano.

Will Chen
November 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM
You guys failed miserably...

...just picked up the amp. :grin:

The wife's gonna kill me!

atroy...That's less than 5 minutes from my place!

holgaguy
November 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
You guys failed miserably...

...just picked up the amp. :grin:

The wife's gonna kill me!

atroy...That's less than 5 minutes from my place!

Can you disguise it as a piece of furniture?

Will Chen
November 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Can you disguise it as a piece of furniture?

It pretty enough to be one! :lol:

Will Chen
November 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Logged some time on it over the weekend. Pretty impressive. The amp is capable of a very wide range of tones and can do everything short of metal. I really like the tones on the dirty channel with the gain set around one paired with a single coils. Very twangy with excellent snap and midrange punch. They really did a great job in voicing the channels to be complementary. Some amps when you switch channels it feels and sounds like a completely different amp. Not so here. The dirty channel sounds like an extension of the clean channel. Very nice indeed...

dantonel
November 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Will, Do you have a Tube screamer or an Overdrive? If you do could you do me a favor and see if it reacts well to the Dirty channel... This will be my selling point too, Well... That and if it plays well at bedroom volume... Is there a big difference from soft to louder?

Will Chen
November 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Will, Do you have a Tube screamer or an Overdrive? If you do could you do me a favor and see if it reacts well to the Dirty channel... This will be my selling point too, Well... That and if it plays well at bedroom volume... Is there a big difference from soft to louder?

I've got a TS9, I'll have to wire it up and check for you. I did run my English Channel in front of it and as well as my RP355 set to a TS808 and both sounded good. However, the dirty channel has so much gain on tap I actually preferred then amp gain rather than using a pedal in front of it and ended up using a lower gain od with the clean channel to kinda emulate a 3 channel amp (clean, dirty, and dirtier).

It sounds great at bedroom volumes and cranked up a bit. Haven't had the chance to run it at performance volume for an extended period of time other than for a few seconds but it sounds consistent across volumes IMHO. Very nicely implemented master volume. I'll confirm after running it at a rehearsal on the 14th. I don't know how I feel about triode operation yet. Just not as lively and a bit underwhelming compared to pentode operation so far but I'm still getting to know the amp.

This is definitely a lot of amp for $350...

drdos
November 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Played one earlier this week and it's been on my mind ever since. Surprisingly good sounding amp for the low price tag. Must fight temptation..."Help you fight Bugered V22 Gas"... Well, all I can say is it's too late. You bought an amp that sounds like your taking it up the clanker... nuff said..:oops:

Hoodster
November 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Did you try Kaopectate?

drdos
November 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Did you try Kaopectate?
That or a good Ear Wax removal kit!:roll:

popthree
November 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
good grief, you didn't give the guys here even 5 hours to try and help you fight the GAS. i was going to provide "Made in China" as a defense but i don't think you really wanted help.

Will Chen
November 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
The GAS had been brewing for a few months. I was being haunted by it last week upon playing it at a local GC and receiving a $50 off coupon in the mail. Like the weak junky that I am I gave in to the drug...

BTW - Country of origin doesn't mean much to me, especially the China debate. My wallet likes good affordable gear.

FirstBassman
November 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Well, I see that we're already too late.
But I was going to pass on that I recently picked up the Bugera V5 (after being very frustrated with my recent tube amp experience).

I haven't tried it with my Bad Monkey yet but straight out of the box it sounds great.
So far, so good.

popthree
November 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
aren't those amps about 900 bucks ? i guess affordable is a sliding scale.. and certainly does matter what the application is.. when i drop that kind of cash i like to have the ability to turn it back into the same (or more) money later. buying a new imported amp guarantees loss of funds when parting ways... buying old MIA amps guarantees equal or greater funds when parting.. if purchased wisely. YMDV

i'm not knocking your purchase decision..but you did presume to solicit advise with the title of your thread.

anyway, enjoy your new amp.

wyattt
November 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I played one again yesterday. I passed on it. It sounded decent, but not great. (at least to me). But, I'm an indie rock guy and so maybe it wasn't in line with what I like in an amp. I ended up buying a JTM 45 from Metro instead.

Will Chen
November 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
aren't those amps about 900 bucks ? i guess affordable is a sliding scale.. and certainly does matter what the application is.. when i drop that kind of cash i like to have the ability to turn it back into the same (or more) money later. buying a new imported amp guarantees loss of funds when parting ways... buying old MIA amps guarantees equal or greater funds when parting.. if purchased wisely. YMDV

i'm not knocking your purchase decision..but you did presume to solicit advise with the title of your thread.

anyway, enjoy your new amp.

$350.

Resale value is of no concern to me as I don't view gear as an investment but rather the expense of being a musician. I don't mind paying a depreciation on a piece of gear that will bring me tonal joy on a daily basis but agree much better deals can be found used on gear (regardless of country of origin) if patient...

Will Chen
November 9th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I played one again yesterday. I passed on it. It sounded decent, but not great. (at least to me). But, I'm an indie rock guy and so maybe it wasn't in line with what I like in an amp. I ended up buying a JTM 45 from Metro instead.

Congrats!

wyattt
November 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks! I had nothing against the bugera, in fact it was pretty cool. Just not my thing. I'm usually all for mid to low priced amps.

evilandy
November 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Just saw a couple demos for the V22. Wow, those are a nice little surprise!

I now have more GAS... Thanks, Will!

popthree
November 9th, 2009, 08:27 PM
$350.

Resale value is of no concern to me as I don't view gear as an investment but rather the expense of being a musician. I don't mind paying a depreciation on a piece of gear that will bring me tonal joy on a daily basis but agree much better deals can be found used on gear (regardless of country of origin) if patient...
oh right, i was thinking egnator. yeah. glad you found something you like.

Ringo
November 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I've looked at them at several sites, no mention anywhere about the warranty.
Updated, I looked at the Bugera site, it says 1 year.

Next question, anyone looked under the hood? what's the build quality look like?

klast
November 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Well, I see that we're already too late.
But I was going to pass on that I recently picked up the Bugera V5 (after being very frustrated with my recent tube amp experience).

I haven't tried it with my Bad Monkey yet but straight out of the box it sounds great.
So far, so good.

Interesting! In the few V5 clips I have heard it seems to sound dark and muddy. Is that really so, or due to poor recording? Does it permit breakup at apartment volume in the 1/10 W setting?

Klas

SteveO
November 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Congrats on th V22,I bought mine a couple of months ago.Great amp with useable features,great tones are easy to find with all my various guitars.I also got mine at GC with the $50 coupon,can't beat it for $300.

Will Chen
November 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I've looked at them at several sites, no mention anywhere about the warranty.
Updated, I looked at the Bugera site, it says 1 year.

Next question, anyone looked under the hood? what's the build quality look like?

There is a real long post over at the Gear Page complete with gut shots. The general consensus is the build quality is very good though it appears to have board mounted tubes (pretty much all the affordable tubes amps seem to nowadays).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=594278

Congrats on th V22,I bought mine a couple of months ago.Great amp with useable features,great tones are easy to find with all my various guitars.I also got mine at GC with the $50 coupon,can't beat it for $300.

A couple of the dudes over at TGP got there's from Music123 for $280!!! That's an insane deal, but it seems they're having issues getting any new stock.

91xlntS-3
November 11th, 2009, 06:50 AM
This is the only amp that has interested me in the last 3 years. Going to be hard to find something to replace my favorite BJr. But I've said all along that if Fender would make a 2 channel BJr, I'd be all over it!

The Bugera looks to be close, but I've only had the chance to try out one example, and I don't know how it was set up (pent/tri). So I may have to look further and try to find another example to really see if it would work for me. But I do like the 2 channel option. And it's the right size/weight and power for what I do. Hmmmm....

Will Chen
November 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
This is the only amp that has interested me in the last 3 years. Going to be hard to find something to replace my favorite BJr. But I've said all along that if Fender would make a 2 channel BJr, I'd be all over it!

The Bugera looks to be close, but I've only had the chance to try out one example, and I don't know how it was set up (pent/tri). So I may have to look further and try to find another example to really see if it would work for me. But I do like the 2 channel option. And it's the right size/weight and power for what I do. Hmmmm....

It's got a different voice than a Blues Jr but sounds good. The amp sounds much bigger and more lively in Pentode mode, but Triode isn't bad you just have to revoice the amp to get a similar sound as in Pentode mode. In addition to having 2 channels, the mid boost switch totally changes the character of the amp. Disengaged there is a prominent low end slightly scooped mid range and a high end that can get a bit fizzy if you let it. On the dirty channel with the gain cranked up it overdrives in a very smooth fashion and can certainly handle hard rock and even maybe old school metal. I'm not sure exactly what to compare it to yet...

Engaged the lows and highs get attenuated and the mids (as you might expect) are up front and center. In this mode, you can get an AC-15 esque tone using the bright input on the clean channel with the master beyond 7 or on the dirty channel with the gain around 1 or 2 and the presence cranked up. Yet compared to the general Vox overdriven tone, the amp is smoother by comparison with a less crisp high end. Cranking the gain up a bit sounds like a tubescreamer boosted 60's or 70's era Marshall tone.

Really surprised at how many sounds can be coaxed out of this amp...

moodus2006
November 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I am still in the "buy it if you can" camp. For the quality of tone - straight out of the box- it is worth it. sweet tone at reasonable volumes. the Bjr needs to have a little volume to really hit some sweetness. the v22 goes a wisper soft!

popthree
November 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I am still in the "buy it if you can" camp. For the quality of tone - straight out of the box- it is worth it. sweet tone at reasonable volumes. the Bjr needs to have a little volume to really hit some sweetness. the v22 goes a wisper soft!
subjective.. i much prefer the tone of a BJ to the bugera.. i played through a bugera @ GC awhile back and i thought it was blah.. again, subjective.

Will Chen
November 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM
subjective.. i much prefer the tone of a BJ to the bugera.. i played through a bugera @ GC awhile back and i thought it was blah.. again, subjective.

Yes they're different enough to polarize some. The V22 has some serious gain on tap which can be had at bedroom levels due to the master volume control. Something the BJ doesn't deliver on it's own. Of course everyone's tastes and tonal needs are different.

91xlntS-3
November 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Yes they're different enough to polarize some. The V22 has some serious gain on tap which can be had at bedroom levels due to the master volume control. Something the BJ doesn't deliver on it's own. Of course everyone's tastes and tonal needs are different.

The difference in tone is the biggest thing for me, but also the volume of the V22, didn't seem to be as loud as my BJr. But again, I don't know how the amp was set up, powerwise.

It definitely didn't have the same sparkle to the tone, but I did like the OD channel. Just didn't seem to be very loud. I will have to check this little guy out further, and really run it thru its' paces! I will say, it gets a solid "10" for looks, very nice looking amp.

popthree
November 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM
my bj delivers plenty of gain @ bedroom levels. thank you RAT, thank you sparkle drive.

my amp philosophy is, get an amp with a clean sound you can live with and don't ask the amp to do anything else of its own accord. i've never found a 2 channel amp that delivered a better overdrive sound than what a couple of dirt boxes can do, while still having the kind of clean sound i want.

Will Chen
November 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
The difference in tone is the biggest thing for me, but also the volume of the V22, didn't seem to be as loud as my BJr. But again, I don't know how the amp was set up, powerwise.

It definitely didn't have the same sparkle to the tone, but I did like the OD channel. Just didn't seem to be very loud. I will have to check this little guy out further, and really run it thru its' paces! I will say, it gets a solid "10" for looks, very nice looking amp.

The bright input rather than boosting the high end seems to attenuate the low end combined with triode mode you can significantly cut the power of the amp. Literature claims triode cuts power by 40% and I would subtract ~10% more (based on settings of course) using the bright input. I can say even with those settings, I don't feel comfortable cranking it at home as it's pretty loud and a bit rude to my wife and son. Run pentode and through the normal input, plenty of volume on tap. I'm bringing it to a rehearsal on Saturday and will have a better feel for how it performs in a group scenario.

my bj delivers plenty of gain @ bedroom levels. thank you RAT, thank you sparkle drive.

my amp philosophy is, get an amp with a clean sound you can live with and don't ask the amp to do anything else of its own accord. i've never found a 2 channel amp that delivered a better overdrive sound than what a couple of dirt boxes can do, while still having the kind of clean sound i want.

To each their own. I'm not going to say it's necessarily better sounding than a Blues Jr, just different. Way more feature packed but if those features don't interest you as a player then no need for them. I personally prefer the drive from amps, especially when you can crank them, the majority of the time versus pedals.

popthree
November 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
To each their own. I'm not going to say it's necessarily better sounding than a Blues Jr, just different. Way more feature packed but if those features don't interest you as a player then no need for them. I personally prefer the drive from amps, especially when you can crank them, the majority of the time versus pedals.
i love the sound of a cranked tube amp. your reference was to the usefulness of the drive channel's master volume compared to the bj. i was just saying there are other ways to get there... many believe, better ways. the great thing about getting drive from a pedal is..you don't like the drive.. get a new pedal..

Will Chen
November 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
i love the sound of a cranked tube amp. your reference was to the usefulness of the drive channel's master volume compared to the bj. i was just saying there are other ways to get there... many believe, better ways. the great thing about getting drive from a pedal is..you don't like the drive.. get a new pedal..

Sorry, let me clarify that I enjoy any well designed amp's high gain channel, even at moderate bedroom volumes, better than the vast majority of pedals I've tried as well when the pedal is used as the sole source of grit into a clean amp, tube or otherwise. It takes all types of tones to make us fickle guitarists happy, I'm the worst of the worst. I've owned all the pedals from the big boys from the horribly farty DOD Supra-Distortion all the way to the Sansamp GT2 and everything inbetween (haven't played much of the new boutique independent builder stuff but it's only a matter of time). Sometimes I'll wire up a pedal board, some times straight to amp, sometimes direct to a mixer/computer depending on the gig/session.

Generally speaking, I like a feature rich amp to have options at my disposal even tough I may not use them all as I like to experiment. In the case of the V22, the high gain channel with the gain set to 1 sounds close to the clean channel with the master cranked up. So you can have your cake and eat it too. Then again, you can crank the gain way up as well.

V22 won't be the be all end all for everyone, but it's affordable and sounds darn good and that's all that really matters in the end to me. Blues Jr is a good amp in it's own right. Different folks, different strokes...

jrich99
November 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm going back and forth between this and a Tweed NOS Blues Jr. I'm really impressed with the price of the Bugera, but LOVE the SRVish tone of a Blues Junior. Any thoughts on getting this sound out of a Bugera?

Will Chen
November 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'm going back and forth between this and a Tweed NOS Blues Jr. I'm really impressed with the price of the Bugera, but LOVE the SRVish tone of a Blues Junior. Any thoughts on getting this sound out of a Bugera?

People always talk about the "SRV" tone as if it was a singular entity. Go back and listen to the Texas Flood album. Each song sounds subtlety different. His tone to me is about 10% Tubescreamer, 10% cranked up tube amp (he used a wide variety of Fenders and Marshalls), and 80% fingers.

If you've got the technique down, I think you could get close with a decent strat and either the clean channel with the master cranked or the dirty channel with the gain low and the mid boost engaged. I plan to have a review on my site and video on YouTube the first week of December which might help you get a feel for what the amp is capable of. That being said, I would strongly recommend trying before buying and buy from someone with a good return policy just in case you don't like it. If you love the tones the Blues Jr are giving you, the V22 likely won't beat it out (perhaps score a strong second) as they do not sound the same to me. Then again, I'm not intimately familiar with the Blues Junior as I do not own one.

popthree
November 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'm going back and forth between this and a Tweed NOS Blues Jr. I'm really impressed with the price of the Bugera, but LOVE the SRVish tone of a Blues Junior. Any thoughts on getting this sound out of a Bugera?what i recommend is that you try before you buy.. either one.

every time i've plugged into a blues junior i've liked what i heard.

i saw the bugera in a guitar center before i knew what it was... hadn't read about it on any forum..nothing.

i thought the aesthetic was excellent as was the price..so i carried it back into the little quiet room and played through it for about 20 minutes. i did not care for the tone much at all. frankly, to my ears, it just didn't sound very good.

i'm not trying to talk down the original posters new amp purchase.. i'm just saying.. that amp doesn't do anything for me.

the only way you are going to know if it will work for you is to try it in person. descriptive words on tone written and read on a guitar forum don't mean jack when it comes down to plugging in and making noise.

coincidentally.. my bj doesn't sound anything like SRV tone.

evilandy
November 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Went down to GC and tried one out, straight out of the box. Like a lot of people, I already had a preconceived opinion about Bugera that is not too favorable. But after reading about it, I really wanted to give it a chance. First, it's a good looking amp to me and it all starts with looks. The features on this amp are amazing. Fx loop, two channels, reverb... I didn't care for the sound of this reverb, but I've been spoiled using Fender spring reverb for years. I found the presence and boost controls to be useful in shaping your sound. It sounded much better than I expected. The overdrive channel had amazing sustain, but not over the top. If there was anything that I heard that I wasn't sure of, I knew I could remedy that with tubes and/or a speaker, however it was very solid as is.

I wouldn't want to compare it to a Blues Jr. It's too much like apples and oranges to me. There are several amps out there in this price range that are very cool, but not that many with all the features of the V22

I'm getting one soon as long as they don't jack up the price.

BTW, I tried a Marshall Haze and was annoyed by the onboard fx and the loud hum it was dishing out (may have been unique to that floor model, not sure). But I found the V22's tone far more desirable.

Will Chen
November 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yes, it's more Voxy chime than Fender sparkle. But as you crank it it's smoother than the typical Vox break up. I've never played a Matchless and it's been years since I've even heard someone playing one, but perhaps that's what they used as a blueprint for this amp (certainly that's where they were inspired from a cosmetics perspective).

Will Chen
November 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
OK, cranked it up for a rehearsal with my groove jazz group and it performed admirably. USed the clean channel at 5 and the lead with the gain around 2 and the volume maxed out. Master around 7. With those settings, I was able to dial back the guitar and get a decent clean sound while with the pot wide open a nice old school subtle breakup which fit the bands style perfectly. The lead channel picked up right where the clean left off. The slight fizzyness of the lead channel at bedroom volumes was gone and it just sang. If you need absolutely clean headroom at performance volume un miced, you might need a slightly bigger amp. But it sounded great cranked up (isn't that always the case with tube amps).

dantonel
November 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I played one this weekend at GC in San Antonio and it had some BAD Tube buzz... Has anyone come across that?

evilandy
November 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Is that the fizz that will mentioned? I played one at GC as well and heard that at low volumes. When I turned it up it went away.

mlweidl
November 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I went into GC today and played one of these guys. There must have been something wrong but it sounded terrible, i mean like line 6 bad. It sounded like a speaker was sitting in a cardboard box. So i got the ac15 instead, not a bad day

rangercaster
November 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
the Pacific Rim, especially Mainland China, is the future of affordable guitars, tube amps and effects ...

evilandy
November 17th, 2009, 01:48 AM
the Pacific Rim, especially Mainland China, is the future of affordable guitars, tube amps and effects ...

It is now.

evilandy
November 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I went into GC today and played one of these guys. There must have been something wrong but it sounded terrible, i mean like line 6 bad. It sounded like a speaker was sitting in a cardboard box. So i got the ac15 instead, not a bad day

Must have been that amp. However, it's also subjective. I do know that the one I played sounded nothing like a Line 6.

klast
November 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM
OK, cranked it up for a rehearsal with my groove jazz group and it performed admirably. USed the clean channel at 5 and the lead with the gain around 2 and the volume maxed out. Master around 7. With those settings, I was able to dial back the guitar and get a decent clean sound while with the pot wide open a nice old school subtle breakup which fit the bands style perfectly. The lead channel picked up right where the clean left off. The slight fizzyness of the lead channel at bedroom volumes was gone and it just sang. If you need absolutely clean headroom at performance volume un miced, you might need a slightly bigger amp. But it sounded great cranked up (isn't that always the case with tube amps).

Interesting! Did you use the onboard reverb? If so, did it sound OK at rehearsal volume?

Klas

popthree
November 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
i had a similar experience with the bugera...

moodus2006
November 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
in pentode mode almost Cracked volume. gain at 3-4 master at 12 oclock boost in... with a les pal this amp has my favorite pedal free tone to date! Singing. smoothness..

i usually play in triode at real low volumes at home but this puppy can sing when juiced!

Will Chen
November 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM

AC15 is a nice amp indeed, love to have one one day. Congrats. Line 6 bad? Must've been something wrong with the amp. Or just maybe taste preference. IMHO, I like the smoother breakup of the V22 over the slightly gruffer nature of the AC15. Though I admit to not having spent many hours with an AC15.

Interesting! Did you use the onboard reverb? If so, did it sound OK at rehearsal volume?

Klas The room that band rehearses in is super live so no reverb. I tried it out but even maxed out the the verb of the room overpowered the built in verb. I like the reverb a bunch at bedroom volumes. I have another rehearsal with a different group next Monday and that's in a treated rehearsal space so I'll report back.

evilandy
November 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Will, that's exactly how it was for me. When I went to test drive the Vox AC15, I was prepared to fall in love but it just didn't happen. The V22 had me instantly.

Has Jet City had you try out their stuff yet?

Will Chen
November 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Will, that's exactly how it was for me. When I went to test drive the Vox AC15, I was prepared to fall in love but it just didn't happen. The V22 had me instantly.

Has Jet City had you try out their stuff yet?

I'm on the list and per their marketing guy should have something by the end of November or early December. Really looking forward to trying their stuff our as well.

mlweidl
November 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I was joking about it sounding like line 6 but ya it was bad but shoot i wish it sounded good cause my wallet is a little slim right now

evilandy
November 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Man, I don't understand why some of you all think it sounds bad. I can understand if it's not someone's preference or style, but to say it sounds bad? I just don't hear it. I've heard many amps that I thought had a great tone, but they weren't my thing. There's a guy on the Gear Page forum that posted a clip and it sounds great, just him and his Tele. Sounds like what I heard in the store.

I know it's not top of the line, but pound for pound (as far as cost) it's the best tone per dollar I've ever heard.

Will Chen
November 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Anyone in Dallas who wants to hear this puppy in action, I'm going to gig it tomorrow with Soul What (11/20/09) at O'Riley's 8989 Forest Lane, Dallas, Texas. 45 minute set 8:30 PM.

evilandy
November 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I wish I still lived in Plano. I'd be down there for sure, Will.

drdos
November 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Nope don't think anything was wrong with it. That's been my experience as well...Crap Tone

Will Chen
November 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Nope don't think anything was wrong with it. That's been my experience as well...Crap Tone

Hmm. Very strange. I mean, sure it doesn't sag like an old tweed Fender. But sounds like crap? I guess if you have a very, very narrow range for what defines "good tone".

So strange that over at the Gear Page there is a 30 page discussion with a bunch of love for the amp. Yet the amp doesn't seem to be catching on anywhere else...

Oh well! I for one am digging it. I was planning a TM 60 review before this over at my site, but seeing the split opinions, I think I need to get a video of the V22 up sooner rather than later...

evilandy
November 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Do you really think this sounds like crap tone? Come on, man...:twisted:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMHTg0_g-aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMHTg0_g-aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

popthree
November 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Do you really think this sounds like crap tone? Come on, man...:twisted:i had edited this because i thought my original response sounded a bit mean.. but since i've now been quoted, i'll restore my post to its original condition. it aint that mean.. and it is my honest opinion so what the heck.

in a word, yes.

the only redeeming part of that demo is the guy playing.

that amp tone does absolutely nothing good for me.

evilandy
November 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
in a word, yes.

the only redeeming part of that demo is the guy playing. that amp tone does absolutely nothing good for me.

I think it's a matter of taste, friend. I understand if it's not for you, but it's not crap. There's a difference. I know what I heard when playing one and dialing it in where I like it.

popthree
November 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I think it's a matter of taste, friend.
yep i agree. its cookies and cream to me.. i hate cookies and cream and i will spit it out every time.. give me chocolate.. vanilla.. strawberry... rocky road..orange sherbert... and i'm happy..but give me cookies and cream and i will dispose of it politely when the host isn't looking.

the title of this thread is 'help fight bugera gas' and i'm doing my part :lol:

ultimately though... a youtube demo of any amp doesn't mean jack. you can find a hundred different vids of any amp and they all sound different. what matters is what works for you... i played through a bugera.. excited..wanting to like.. no good. doesn't work for me. i tried... i gave it a good go... didn't happen. 350 is cheap for a 20+watt tube amp.. but if it doesn't make the sounds you like to hear, it is money wasted....maybe the speaker needs 80 hours of flap before it starts breathing.. dunno ..

a seperate gripe i have is it just has too many knobs for me.

Jakedog
November 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMHTg0_g-aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMHTg0_g-aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I would not call that crap tone. I don't like it, it ain't my thing, sounds a little thin and raspy and harsh, like a VOX AC15 always sounds to me. I wouldn't buy one based on that clip. But it doesn't sound bad, lots of folks like that tone, and use it, with great success. I would say, given the choice between that amp and a Blues Jr., since people have asked for opinions, I'd take that Bugera in 2 seconds flat. That tone flat out destroys anything I've ever heard anybody get out of a Blues Jr. Myself included. I had a Jr. for awhile, and thought it sounded pretty damn good, until I started A/B'ing it with my other amps. Which are not expensive, or boutique, several of which are SS. So I bought tubes, and a speaker. There was noticeable improvement, but nothing to make me think it sounded good compared to my other rigs. I've since tried other BJr's, to make sure it wasn't just a bum amp, because I love the IDEA of the BJr., but I've thought the same thing about every one I've plugged into. FWIW, other people plugged into mine and loved it to pieces. To each their own.

I'd take that Bugera in 1 second flat over an AC15, as it sounds pretty much like what I'm used to getting from one of those, and is priced much more affordably, and has many more features.

I am waiting for a local store to get a 1960 head. For under $300, I really want to give that amp a good test run. Being a Marshall guy, I want to find out what that head is really all about in a bad way.

Brian blaut
November 20th, 2009, 01:51 AM
aren't those the amps with the logo of the shirtless muscle guy with a shaved chest stretching his arms up to the heavens? They put that on every ad I've ever seen. Looks like the cover of a ladies romance novel.

http://www.rosario-musica.com/guitarras%20amplificadores/Bugera%20Poster.jpg

you're welcome.
gas averted.

popthree
November 20th, 2009, 02:05 AM
lol

evilandy
November 20th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Hey popthree, I had a listen to your music at reberb nation and was wondering what amp you are using to get your tones?

Warren Pederson
November 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM

I've never tried one in the store but judging by that video, it's sounds Godawful bad. Not in a good way. JMHO

popthree
November 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hey popthree, I had a listen to your music at reberb nation and was wondering what amp you are using to get your tones?
depends on what song you are talking about. some of those are from a fender champ.. or a 62 gibson discoverer, a blues junior (billm mods), or a roland microcube.

Will Chen
November 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The vid doesn't do the amp justice. While I can hear the general character of the amp, there is way more low end on tap than in the vid. He clearly simply set up his cam using the cheap built in condenser. Also looking at where the controls are set, I think he's using the high gain channel with boost engaged with the guitar volume rolled back considerably or has extremely low output pickups because even with my SX SST57 with the gain up around 3 like he has it set it is a pretty dirty amp. I'm going to do my best to have a vid up next week with the amp miced with a SM57 using a variety of guitars.

evilandy
November 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM
The vid doesn't do the amp justice. While I can hear the general character of the amp, there is way more low end on tap than in the vid. He clearly simply set up his cam using the cheap built in condenser. Also looking at where the controls are set, I think he's using the high gain channel with boost engaged with the guitar volume rolled back considerably or has extremely low output pickups because even with my SX SST57 with the gain up around 3 like he has it set it is a pretty dirty amp. I'm going to do my best to have a vid up next week with the amp miced with a SM57 using a variety of guitars.

No doubt I picked a bad clip, but I guess having played it I can hear through the bad video mic, etc.

Looking forward to your clip, Will.

I should say that this amp doesn't sound like Rivera (my personal favorite) or whatever. I never expected that. But I like how it sounds for how inexpensive it is. It's almost funny the kind of junior high level of poking fun at Bugera that this has brought out.

evilandy
November 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
depends on what song you are talking about. some of those are from a fender champ.. or a 62 gibson discoverer, a blues junior (billm mods), or a roland microcube.

That's cool. Sounds great, man. :twisted:

popthree
November 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
That's cool. Sounds great, man. :twisted:
thank you, i think ?

i'm not sure how to interpret this :twisted: little face in the chosen context

Will Chen
November 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM
No doubt I picked a bad clip, but I guess having played it I can hear through the bad video mic, etc.

Looking forward to your clip, Will.

I should say that this amp doesn't sound like Rivera (my personal favorite) or whatever. I never expected that. But I like how it sounds for how inexpensive it is. It's almost funny the kind of junior high level of poking fun at Bugera that this has brought out.

YouTube clips can be tricky. I haven't seen an absolute accurate representation of this amp tonally yet just compare this clip to the V22/AC15 shoot out clip that's on YouTube. The tone is a polar opposite and fairly dark and laking definition. The actual sound is kinda between these 2 extremes.

franchelB
November 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM
It seems to have favorable reviews over at Harmony Central.com though some plan to upgrade the tubes and speaker.

Because of Bugera's association with Behringer, I wish you luck. I've been lucky with Behringer products (in terms of reliability), but I KNOW not everyone has had the same luck.

Will Chen
November 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Posted the vid. The audio cuts out around the 3 minute mark. I'll fix that tonight and reload demoing the complete clean and very dirty tones of the amp. You get to hear the voxy character of the clean channel pushed with single coils in the first part of the vid. Now, I fully understand taste is completely subjective. Even so, I think calling the tonal capabilities of the amp crap are a bit of a stretch, perhaps even misleading. It does what it does well. If you're looking for high gain Marshall or Tweed sag, of course you'll need to look elsewhere as that's not what this amp is about...

Regarding reliability. Thanks for the warnings guys. I've never known anyone personally with a Beringer or Bugera amp so don't have any personal experience to go by. I have had a number of friends with Marshall, Fender, Peavey, and Vox amps which have gave them many problems. Doesn't mean those companies are crap... If it breaks in a few weeks, you won't hear anyone yelling louder than me. But I don't put too mutch faith in anonymous horror stories online.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoRW8Wj7dWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoRW8Wj7dWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

popthree
November 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
what i can hear of your clip.. up to the 3 minute mark.. is the best tone i've heard from that amp on youtube or in person. the one i played through did not possess such a voice.. or i wasn't able to find it amongst the adjustments available.

i assume you've not doctored the recording in any way ?

nonetheless, based on the personal experience i had plugging into this amp in the quiet room @ guitar center, i would not consider purchasing one.

i wonder if most people who make amp purchase choices based on sound clips online are generally satisfied ?

Will Chen
November 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
what i can hear of your clip.. up to the 3 minute mark.. is the best tone i've heard from that amp on youtube or in person. the one i played through did not possess such a voice.. or i wasn't able to find it amongst the adjustments available.

i assume you've not doctored the recording in any way ?

nonetheless, based on the personal experience i had plugging into this amp in the quiet room @ guitar center, i would not consider purchasing one.

i wonder if most people who make amp purchase choices based on sound clips online are generally satisfied ?

As the video states, mild compression on the master bus just to catch peaks. No eq, verb, or any kind of processing. SM57 25% right and APEX ribben 25% left. I used 2 mics as neither one alone sounded as full/bright as me standing in front of the amp. The low end was actually more pronounced in the room as the mics were too close to capture room resonance (on purpose). This is the sound I heard when I first auditioned the amp in GC and why I'd been gassing one for a while and why I gave in so easily. I can only assume if you did not hear something similar, there was something wrong with the amp (perhaps simply needing a bias) or the guitar you were using (I'm using a dead stock $99 SX SST 57 on the first part of that clip). Most YouTube demos give a piss poor impression of what gear sounds like as the amp's are never miced correctly, gain is often maxed out, and time isn't spent learning how to pull out different tones. The picture of the controls was snapped immediate after recording each clip.

popthree
November 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
the guitar i used was a MIM telecaster and it didn't have any problems.. i played through several amps with it.

timmer114
November 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've played this amp both in the showroom stock, and a friend's with good tubes and a speaker. For 300 bucks, this amp is a nice bargain. Opened up, it's a pretty solid design. I can't speak for the transformers or anything, but I have seen uglier components on more expensive amps.

With afternarket JJ tubes and a Celestion speaker this amp really starts to shine. My friend has about 450 into his amp including the purchase price new, and it's a good one. The amp has alot of play in the EQ section, there's alot you can dial up here, so your going to hear alot of diiferent voiced V22's in demos out on Youtube. Most of them either too gained, or too dark. In person this is a decent amp that really benefits from a tube swap. The digital reverb is so so.

It's Chinese, it's 300 dollars, it's a nice amp. A good value for someone that wants to get into tubes. Right now my favorite amp is the Super Champ XD. Another 300 dollar Chinese amp. I am a lowbuck guy, I have to be in this economy. But if one of these came my way, I wouldn't just kick it outta bed =) Spend some time with one and tweak it some, it might grow on you.

Keep in mind, most people that show these on You Tube likely just got it, and haven't even broke in the speaker yet or found it's sweet spots.

evilandy
November 23rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Nice clip, Will! Not only shows the amp's potential, but speaks well for the Rondo guitar as well.

Frugality at it's finest!

tschommer
November 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I see that the vid has been removed, I'm looking forward to the new fixed version.

Will Chen
November 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Never mind, still messed up.

ArggghhhhhhhhhH!

Will Chen
November 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
OK, vid fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRW8Wj7dWc

wildschwein
November 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Wow - sounds great. Especially the cleans.

Will Chen
November 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Nice clip, Will! Not only shows the amp's potential, but speaks well for the Rondo guitar as well.

Frugality at it's finest!

I love that SX SST57. I know it's not perfect and the pickups are low output and electronics likely garbage, but I've connected with it in a huge way. I've played a ton of guitars over the last 2 years for my reviews as well as dropping into music stores and I haven't played a strat styled guitar which I like better. Something about the chunky neck and TOM bridge which just makes me giddy...

Will Chen
November 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
BTW-I take back any reservations regarding triode operation. Last night had a rehearsal in a small room w/ my rock group and the room's PA was less than ideal so I was having a hard time getting my vocals to cut though so we turned down a bit. On a whim I decided to run the amp in triode mode. Wow! The amp got much spongier/saggy (still no where near an old tweed though) and I was really digging the tones I was getting...

timmer114
November 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
One thing I will say also, the V22 is very sharp looking on the exterior. It has that Matchless or BadCat vibe going on =)

91xlntS-3
November 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Will,

Many thanks for the vid, just the way a demo SHOULD be done! Very well done!

As a side note, I just became a member of FrugalGuitar.com Hope to visit there often.

evilandy
November 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Awesome demo, Will! I went and picked one up today and I'm loving it.

tschommer
November 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
WOW!! Many thanks, I may have to take a trip to GC tomorrow.

Will Chen
November 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Wow - sounds great. Especially the cleans.

Will,

Many thanks for the vid, just the way a demo SHOULD be done! Very well done!

As a side note, I just became a member of FrugalGuitarist.com Hope to visit there often.

Awesome demo, Will! I went and picked one up today and I'm loving it.

WOW!! Many thanks, I may have to take a trip to GC tomorrow.

Thanks for the love guys! Hey, what happen to all the haters? :wink:

evilandy
November 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the love guys! Hey, what happen to all the haters? :wink:

Trying to hunt down more Bugera ads, I suppose.:lol:

tschommer
November 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The secret must be out, it looks like most online retailers are out of them. Even the GC web site lists them as being out of stock and as a special order in store item.

tschommer
November 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I got a 10% off email coupon from MF this morning and I just couldn't resist ordering one. It' on backorder though, so I hope I'm not waiting too long.

franchelB
November 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I heard a guitar player playing through a Bugera V22 @ GC in Arlington, TX...sounded pretty d@^n good too!

Will Chen
November 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I got a 10% off email coupon from MF this morning and I just couldn't resist ordering one. It' on backorder though, so I hope I'm not waiting too long.

Man, there's guys who've been waiting since September over at the Gear Page for one from Music123/MF...

Will Chen
December 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
So a couple nights ago I plug in an axe and the amp doesn't sound right. It's distorting way more than it should and the sound is inconsistent almost like a subtle random trem in on. I immediately thought I was going to have to eat my words regarding this amp. I went out and bought some fresh EL84s as it sounded like a tube going bad, opened the tube cage and...one of the power tubes wasn't fully set in it's socket. I pushed that baby back in and she's singing sweet again. Whew! I'll have to keep an eye on that socket though to make sure it's holding tight...

tschommer
December 5th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Mine just shipped this morning (from MF), hopefully I will be seeing it early next week!

WhiteWolf
January 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I ordered my V22 on Christmas Day from MF and got it on 1/4/10. I'm just trying to show how 'chunky' the amp distortion is (but of course it's being recorded by the camcorder's microphone) and no, I don't own a Tele :(

I'm not a pro or anything, I just 'jam' with friends once in a while...ANYHOW, I first play through my Jackson DX10D Super Strat (Dimarzio Super Distortion in bridge), then through my Brian May guitar.

Master Volume was 1/2 way up (5), volume ALL the way up (10)...amp distortion FULL ON, no pedals - Pentode Mode...

you'll see/hear me play with the tone controls/boost switch...Bass-5....Treble-8...Presence-5...Midrange-3 w/Boost (then-0 no Boost - then-9 with Boost)

guitar + cord + v22 = :)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b2S9CIbqGPk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b2S9CIbqGPk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>