$vboptions[bbtitle]

Sanding Sealer question

mcgeorgerl
September 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I've got my first body roughly shaped and tomorrow I'll probably route the standard pick-up cavities, etc.....

This will be some sort of paint over a soft maple so I'll be wanting to lay on some sanding sealer soon until I decide about the paint.

Lowes/Home depot has quarts of Minwax sanding sealer (Yellow Can) and Lacquer Sanding Sealer (Black Can). I'd rather spray than brush but neither has instructions for spraying. I didn't see any rattle-can sealer of any type or brand.

I went to the local Sherwin-Williams store and asked about nitro-cellulose. The sales folks didn't have the slightest idea what I was asking for and could not find it in their database but they did find a lacquer sanding sealer that I could order....in a 5 gallon bucket. Not much help..........

LuvN Guitars
September 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I can't recommend you any specific sanding sealers as the brands we have available here probably wont be available in the states. Having said that, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. If you mean the same thing when you say sanding sealer as I understand it, you will probably have to consider some type of grain filler too if you're going to paint over ash, it has a fairly open grain. A filler will save you a lot of paint and cutting back to get a level surface.

jimd
September 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Mcgeorgerl,

The Minwax stuff is not that great. It takes a long time to dry and is hard to sand. Lowes usually has Deft sanding sealer (look closely there is usually only a few cans). That is the stuff to get. It comes in both spray can and brush on. I like the brush on. It doesn't have to go on pretty since you are going to sand it all off anyway, and you can get good coverage quickly with a brush. If you can't find it at Lowes, check a specialty woodworking store like Rockler or Woodcraft.

Mik
September 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Luthiers Mercantile International, everything you need for a nitro finish including sanding sealer. (solvent based vinyl sealer is among the nastiest haz mats I've ever handled make sure there's ventilation, wear a pro/OSHA spec'd respirator and of course NO FLAMES!).

Been some years since I ordered from LMI but my experiences were excellent, you don't need to go on hardware store hunts except maybe for acetone, thinner and Preval spray units...

LMI has it all from tack cloths to alcohol soluble anilin dyes.

McFadden Lacquer products including sealer (http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Finishes&NameProdHeader=McFadden%92s%99+Spray+Lacquer)

blackbelt308
September 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I've had great results with a few coats of brushed-on Deft SS, followed by a few coats of sprayed-on Deft SS. The schedule is: brush on two coats with at least 30 min in between, wait 24-48 hrs, sand lightly, repeat, spray on 2-3 coats with at least 30 min in between, wait 48 hrs, sand lightly, repeat. Remove all glossy spots on the final sanding.

Deft dries very quickly. Make sure you wear a respirator or have plenty of air circulation!

Ciao,
Rick

jwj4856
September 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Both the Lowe's and Home Depot in my area carry spray cans of Deft sanding sealer which works well for me.

Danocaster
September 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
dont use the word nitro w/ them

just go back to Sherwin Williams and ask for their "LOVOC" Lacquer Sand n Sealer ( item T60 F64 )

it's what I use and it works great

mcgeorgerl
September 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Ahhh.....that's what I'm looking for.....product codes!! I tried looking on the S-W site before but wasn't having any luck. If LOVOC means (and I'm guessing here) "Low Volatile Organic Compounds" is it really a Lacquer product?

Thanks...too late to go to S-W today (Sunday) and it's raining anyway. I'll stop in tomorrow and since they're between Home Depot and Lowes, I should be able to find something.

I'm at a standstill right now anyway until I figure out my template issue....right now I've got more questions than I can find answers to..........

Colt W. Knight
September 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
brush on sanding sealer is easier for me than those expensive spray cans of sanding sealer. Just follow the instructions on the can. however, asothers havepointed out. deft SS comes in a can as well. Also, shellac makes good sandingsealer aswell.

Danocaster
September 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
the LOVOC is sold in gallon cans - not spray cans - just FYI

and it says Nitrocellulose Lacquer Sanding Sealer on the can

Nick JD
September 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Does maple need sanding sealer?

mcgeorgerl
September 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I think I could get away with not sealing the front and rear faces. But it looks like the end grain could. Plus, I've got a poplar body blank that's up next.

Colt W. Knight
September 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM
maple doesn't need a sanding sealer, but I think finish goes on easier after two coats of sanding. just my opinion of course.

Marc Rutters
September 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Does maple need sanding sealer?
I've started to use 1-2 coats sanding sealer on hard maple necks before frets and it's cut my finish time in half. All of those tiny scratches and voids like the edges of fret markers get filled so the lacquer can can lay down smooth and thin, less surprises. Home Depot carry's Zinsser brand pint/gallon and rattle can sanding sealer here but I'm thinking about trying some others to see how they compare because it comes out pretty orange peal even with a sprayer.

smilbourne
September 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
I use Zinsser SealCoat™ Universal Sanding Sealer with great results. Claims to be compatible with ALL clear wood finishes. Its wax free and brushes on nicely, producing a flat finish. It was £17.50 (about $25) for a quart tin, and im 3 guitars in and it doesnt appear to have gone down by much, so i can see im going to get many more out of it, so I see it as a bit of a bargain.

Simon

mcgeorgerl
September 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Stopped by S-W today and with the correct product code (Thanks again) the clerk was able to get me a gallon (smallest quantity) on order. Cost for a gallon is just under 40 bucks.

Found out that not all S-W stores are the same in our area. Most are home DIY but a few are commercial suppliers. That's where they have the sealer so they'll transfer it and save me the 40+ mile drive.

Colt W. Knight
September 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
In my opinion, sanding sealer is a worthy investment. A gallon should last you a long time.

mwaym
September 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
If I wanna stain a pine body, when do I use sanding sealer ??? After stain and before Tru-Oil ???

olaftheholy
September 24th, 2009, 06:32 AM
stain goes on bare wood...

soulfixinman
September 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
If I wanna stain a pine body, when do I use sanding sealer ??? After stain and before Tru-Oil ???

I don't think you can use nitro sanding sealer under tru oil,
since nitro sanding sealer is lacquer.
The rule is:
You can put lacquer over tru oil but not tru oil over lacquer.