$vboptions[bbtitle]

Hum that stops when I touch metal?

BoogerRooger
September 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Just finished a partscaster and it sounds alright, but it hums when I'm not touching the strings. The hum stops when I touch any metal part or I turn the tone knob to cut the treble. I've noticed the same thing happens with my CV, but the hum's quieter. I'm just palying through a Champion 600 RI. Can you tell waht's happening, and if there's a way to stop the hum? Thanks!

Dr. Bill
September 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Just finished a partscaster and it sounds alright, but it hums when I'm not touching the strings. The hum stops when I touch any metal part or I turn the tone knob to cut the treble. I've noticed the same thing happens with my CV, but the hum's quieter. I'm just palying through a Champion 600 RI. Can you tell waht's happening, and if there's a way to stop the hum? Thanks!

Welcome to the world of single-coil pickups. :lol: That buzz is why dual-coil humbucking pickups were invented. The difference between the two guitars may have to do with the possibility that one of them is shielded a bit better than the other, but the only way to completely nuke the buzz is to go with noiseless (i.e., dual coil) pickups.

BoogerRooger
September 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Ah! so that's why they're called humbuckers. I was wondering. Thanks!

Jimmyspaz
September 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Consider it a "vintage" feature. Every old single coil guitar I've owned does that. You soon get used to keeping one hand touching the strings, I did anyway.

barkley
September 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I also have this hum phenomenon with my LP with humbuckers! I assumed it was my body completing the ground circuit when i touched the strings, but it still makes me wonder why humbuckers would still hum like this.

:?:

mellecaster
September 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I would suggest a search for one of Terry Down's excellent posts on the subject...he can explain it much better than I can.

polishcomedy
September 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM
If you want to kill the hum, shield it in copper tape. I did it to my tele and it's dead quiet...no more buzz/hum.

Follow these guides and you'll be noise free:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_UnQbxtV7Y&feature=related

You may also want to pot your pickups:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYGeYL9b88

funff
September 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
If it's a partscaster could it also be that the jack is wired backwards, or that the bridge assembly isn't properly earthed? Also I hear the Champ 600 is a tad "hummy" too! Good luck with it anyhow.

BoogerRooger
September 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Now here's a thing, it only hums when the lights are on in my living room!

Citizen_Insane
September 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Ahh, well then it's a power issue. Let me guess, you have some florescent lights in your living room? It's called 60 cycle hum and it gets worse depending on what you have plugged into your house's electrical grid.

If you want to remove it, you can use what's called a power conditioner that will even out the power coming from the wall and into your amp. I don't think they're all that cheap tho.

dantonel
September 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Ok... so I had to ReDo my S101 custom Tele when I put in my hotrails in and now I get a heck of a Buzz. AND My hot Rails are too Hot (see matching thread name)

What do I do!

BoogerRooger
September 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ahh, well then it's a power issue. Let me guess, you have some florescent lights in your living room? It's called 60 cycle hum and it gets worse depending on what you have plugged into your house's electrical grid.

If you want to remove it, you can use what's called a power conditioner that will even out the power coming from the wall and into your amp. I don't think they're all that cheap tho.

Yep, some of them are fluoresent energy saving bulbs and on a dimmer - had problems with them before.

Ok... so I had to ReDo my S101 custom Tele when I put in my hotrails in and now I get a heck of a Buzz. AND My hot Rails are too Hot (see matching thread name)

I built my partscaster from bits stripped from another guitar with a HotRails that I didn't like. The HotRails had massive output, but no soul.

mellecaster
September 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
In a word, it's your dimmer...does it have a full-on position ?

JDC
September 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM
mellecaster nails it.

IMHO It's the rheostat (dimmer). Turn it all the way on or turn that light off (from the switch) and see if that doesn't clear things up for you. Not discounting OPs responses, they are, indeed, valid. However, when I started reading the thread, the first thing I wondered was if you had a light on a rheostat nearby.

I have one of those lights too. I listen to talk radio on AM radio sometimes and unless I turn the rheostat either full on or completely off, my radio buzzes like crazy.

giantslayer
September 17th, 2009, 12:50 AM
For my strat, shielding it with copper tape fixed that problem. It had a very small effect on hum while I'm touching the strings, but the hum doesn't increase if I move my hands off.

BoogerRooger
September 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks for your help, I'll turn the lights up and get used to keeping my hands on the guitar to stop the hum.

I'm just happy that I didn't mess up putting my guitar together.

Going to enjoy playing it now!

jb12string
September 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Aluminum Foil and spray adhesive works well for shielding too, just make sure the spray adhesive isn't insulating (electrically)

FMA
September 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Recheck your wiring. You may have a ground issue. I had the same problem with a Gretsch. It turned out to be a bad solder joint on the ground side of the wiring.

giantslayer
September 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Aluminum Foil and spray adhesive works well for shielding too, just make sure the spray adhesive isn't insulating (electrically)

Strangely, aluminum foil didn't do much for me. I put a layer of copper tape on top of it a few years later (I think someone said it could be a bad idea for some reason) and that fixed my hum-when-I'm-not-touching-the-strings problem.

tdowns
September 18th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I would suggest a search for one of Terry Down's excellent posts on the subject...he can explain it much better than I can.

Well I'm not sure about that but....

You shouldn't ever expect a guitar with single coil pickups to be quiet if YOU are holding it AND NOT touching the strings. The problem is YOU, not the guitar. The human body is a very good wideband antenna. You will have an amazing amount of power line fields as a large body antenna that is mostly water. You already know this by the huge signal that is injected into an amplifier when you touch the tip of an open guitar instrument cable plugged into an amp. It will buzz like crazy. In fact, it will buzz louder than the signal from your pickup that has thousands or turns of wire. This signal in your body is re-radiated into the pickups when you are holding the guitar and not touching the strings.

When you touch the stings that are grounded, this ground shorts your body to ground and makes YOU and ineffective antenna. That's why guitars have the strings grounded. If they didn't, your big human signal would add even more hum by being injected into the pickups by the strings.

It sounds like your noise problem is exacerbated by light dimmers. Those pesky things quickly/abruptly apply voltage to the bulb in the middle of an AC cycle. This fast rate of change of current generates more voltage in the pickup than that of a regular power field. Get rid of them or turn them wide open.

Noise cancelling pickups are wonderful things. Some don't like the way they sound tho.

I hope this helps.

telecaster1987
September 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
+1 on tdowns. I'd make absolutely sure it's not a bad ground or bad solder joint problem. I'd also make sure that the connections on your jack aren't reversed. All ground connections need to be on the ring part of the jack. Good luck!

Trex
January 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I had the exact problem with a Fender Lite Ash telecaster made in Korea.

The guitar is properly grounded. I also tried to test this:i ran a wire from the bridge to the jack socket (ground) and it made no difference.

The guitar is not at all shilded (no paint no foil no nothing). I didn't find any copper foil so i used just plain supermarket aluminium foil to shield all the cavities (a bit of work with no adesive but it seams to work great).

The guitar is now quiet as a mouse it doesnt matter if i touch the strings or not!

broncstomper
January 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM
oops

capth00k
January 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Check your grounds if it's really annoying and not just a single coil buzz. Make sure the ground wire from the rear to the first pot is connected properly then have all grounds come off of that point. Make sure you didn't make a big ground 'loop' in your guitar... which i've done in the past when 'overdoing' things.

I've used Aluminum Tape (with success) for shielding purposes but copper is always better. Good Luck!!

TeleKato
January 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM
I can never remember what hummmm threads I've posted to ... So forgive me if I'm redundant ...

Hum Debugger. http://www.ehx.com/products/hum-debugger

I had hum issues and drove me nuts, especially when i drove all the way to Edgewater to have Tony (Mellecaster) look at it and it was quiet as the grave at his house! Dimmer switches and LV lights and more electrical crap than you can imagine at my place. So I get one of these and voila ... no hum. It even has two different levels of filter settings.

Anyway search it .... I heard about from Mark Davis on TDPRI and it was the best $100 i ever spent. I'll not be buying noiseless pickups again!

jb12string
January 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM
i drove all the way to Edgewater to have Tony (Mellecaster) look at it and it was quiet as the grave at his house!

Wait, Tony has a grave at his house?

TeleKato
January 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Wait, Tony has a grave at his house?

An article is a terrible thing to misuse!!! The indefinite article 'a' was a-ppropriate!!