$vboptions[bbtitle]

telecaster versatility

robrecht
May 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
okay people here thinking that a telecaster ain't a versatile guitar, are wrong! My modified MIM Std Tele can handle every musicstyle, some better then others.. of course for classic rock, country and blues and jazz (those styles the tele often is linked with), the tele is at it's best. but also for rock, hardrock, indie and punk (with some crunch) it's great. It even handles metal very well (metallica and the rasmus are two famous metalbands using teles!). High pinch harmonics coming out of my tele with some gain really sound great. it's a shame that les pauls and sg's are often opted above the tele IMHO.
that's what i would like to say :)
cheers

PraiseCaster
May 15th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I've gotten more versatility outta my lil Tele, than any other single guitar I've ever owned, and I do it all with a single channel tube amp! I've got mine set-up, too where I can get what ever tone, or sound out of it, simlply by flipping the toggle switch, and turning the volume and tone knobs! And I dont use any effects! Jazz, Rock, Hard Rock, Contemporary, Country, and a lil Alternative is all right there at my finger tips!

I cant say by experience (I've never tried em), but from what I've heard from others, the only thing more versatile, would be a modeling guitar (Line 6 Variac), and I've heard thatthey just seem to lack the warmth that the real McCoy would offer.

So I'll be staying with my trusty, #1 baby, for a very, very, long time too come! Cause in my book, it just dont get any better than this!

J-man
May 15th, 2004, 05:36 PM
okay people here thinking that a telecaster ain't a versatile guitar, are wrong! My modified MIM Std Tele can handle every musicstyle, some better then others.. of course for classic rock, country and blues and jazz (those styles the tele often is linked with), the tele is at it's best. but also for rock, hardrock, indie and punk (with some crunch) it's great. It even handles metal very well (metallica and the rasmus are two famous metalbands using teles!). High pinch harmonics coming out of my tele with some gain really sound great. it's a shame that les pauls and sg's are often opted above the tele IMHO.
cheers

The rasmus are not metal!! They are just a silly little pop rock band who try to be "gothic".

beefandbones
May 15th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I totally agree! Most people say it's versatile for country or blues, but if Jimmy Page can reach in and get Led Zeppelin's first album out of a Tele, and the solo from Stairway to Heaven too boot, then it's a good hard rock guitar.

Steve Cropper is just amazing on all those Stax sides. Bob Dylan and Robbie Robertson both play Teles on Live 1966 and that's just pure slashing. Curtis Mayfield plays a Tele on his live album too. Andy Summers from the Police is great too - and he's completely different than the other people I've listed.

The Tele is a basic guitar - just add you!

Ethan

robrecht
May 16th, 2004, 05:38 AM
rasmus aint metal indeed, sorry, just wanted to say that such 'heavier' sounds can be produced with a tele.
i don't like the line6, imho it's more like a synthguitar (what it's also meant to be..) and i think a guitar must be a guitar and have his own sound.
SG's and Teles rule!

J-man
May 16th, 2004, 03:20 PM
rasmus aint metal indeed, sorry, just wanted to say that such 'heavier' sounds can be produced with a tele.
i don't like the line6, imho it's more like a synthguitar (what it's also meant to be..) and i think a guitar must be a guitar and have his own sound.
SG's and Teles rule!

I havn't tried a line 6, the thing I think that bites about them is that its virtually impossible to replace the bridge or the pickups, and if you drop it too hard it may never work again! And of course we all know that being dropped is the second best thing teles do, the first being played surprisingly. :lol:

Mike Rice
May 16th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I find a Tele to be much more versatile than a Strat for example, I really do. There are perhaps 2 switch settings on a Strat that I find conducive to my style(s), where all 3 get put to work for me on a Tele. Add something like a 4-way switch, middle PU, or the Donahue wiring, and I get a guitar as utilitarian as they come.

During the jam last weekend I was up in my office playing Lenny's new '71 Tele. I was twangin' away at the bridge PU, then switched over to the neck unit and started playing some George Benson tunes. Lenny said "that's what I love so much about the Tele, it's country twang one minute and warm jazz the next".

Ironically there's a quote in the 2004 Frontline catalog I spotted that I belive they use in reference to an amp. But the quote was originally from Tom Wheeler and he was talking about the Fender Telecaster. "If there were a guitar army every soldier would be given a Telecaster. It has everything you need and nothing you don't".

That just about does it, don't it?

Adam Waldron
May 16th, 2004, 06:20 PM
The only thing that limits a Tele is the person playing it! 8)

Cheers,

Adam

lobotomyactivist
May 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
SG's and Teles rule!

funny.

my most recent choice was the SG vs. the Tele. guess which one.

Jude
May 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
The only thing that limits a Tele is the person playing it!

My ears are burning

timspong
May 17th, 2004, 05:33 PM
for me it is a very transparent guitar, so it will pick up on all your dynamics (the good and the bad). The better I get, the more I like it. In fact I sold off all the other electric guitars I have (cept a -no-name copy, I use as backup).

This morning, I was playing my tele straight into a mixer and out through the "near fields" and it still sounded great (no effects or anything). Try doing that with most other guitars and it would sound like poop.

It is stiffer to play Compared to a Les Paul or strat as it has a longer scale than an LP and no-floating bridge like the strat. But I don't think it is in any way too stiff - just right IMO.

retsacelet
May 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
In the past week I've had 3 gigs. Country, Jazz, and Classic Rock..all played on the same guitar: My nashville power tele!

Joel Terry
May 17th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I find a Tele to be much more versatile than a Strat for example, I really do. There are perhaps 2 switch settings on a Strat that I find conducive to my style(s), where all 3 get put to work for me on a Tele. Add something like a 4-way switch, middle PU, or the Donahue wiring, and I get a guitar as utilitarian as they come.
Mike, I couldn't agree more. And I was a diehard Stratocaster guy pretty much since day one of taking up the guitar at the age of eight. (I mean, at that age, the way I remember hearing and processing the prevailing attitude, was: Jimi was the "best ever" + Jimi played a Fender Stratocaster = Stratocasters were the "best" guitars to play.) But, after years of listening to my stepdad's high praise for the Tele (he's a lifelong Tele player) and finding you wonderful ladies and gents, my Stratocaster days were numbered.

Don't get me wrong: I still have a couple of Stratocasters in the "arsenal" because I still love Strats; however, I'm a certified Tele guy now.

Frankly, I can't think of a notable genre of music that can't be played tastefully on the Telecaster. I love using the neck pickup for classical, even. (Yes, that muffled dynamo hum you hear is Maestro Segovia spinning madly in his grave. :wink:)

The only thing possibly missing from a Tele--in my humble opinion--is the option for a vibrato. Not a Bigsby, but a muich more versatile Stratocaster-style vibrato. (Leo should've made a vibrato on Teles an option starting in '54 when his "synchronized tremolo" came out on the Stratocaster.) But, the Tele is such a great guitar, putting a vibrato on it would only be gilding the lily.

The Telecaster is quite possibly the perfect electric guitar.

Joel

Impala
May 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM

During the jam last weekend I was up in my office playing Lenny's new '71 Tele. I was twangin' away at the bridge PU, then switched over to the neck unit and started playing some George Benson tunes. Lenny said "that's what I love so much about the Tele, it's country twang one minute and warm jazz the next".

Ironically there's a quote in the 2004 Frontline catalog I spotted that I belive they use in reference to an amp. But the quote was originally from Tom Wheeler and he was talking about the Fender Telecaster. "If there were a guitar army every soldier would be given a Telecaster. It has everything you need and nothing you don't".

That just about does it, don't it?

I think Tom Wheeler was ripping off former Fender Custom Shop employee Fred Stuart circa 1990: "If you were in the Army to play guitar they would issue you a Telecaster; it has nothing more and nothing less...".

hippietim
May 18th, 2004, 11:16 PM
It even handles metal very well (metallica and the rasmus are two famous metalbands using teles!). High pinch harmonics coming out of my tele with some gain really sound great. it's a shame that les pauls and sg's are often opted above the tele IMHO.

Sorry but a standard Tele is not a good metal guitar. Metallica used a Tele on a tune or two as an effect. The tone that guy in Rasmus gets could be accomplished with any guitar. The amount of signal processing going on there pretty much neuters the guitar tone. Don't get me wrong, I think they sound cool - I just don't see how it would matter what guitar he was playing. I still play metal when I get the opportunity and a standard Tele would be the last electric guitar I would reach for.

A Tele is only as versatile as the nut behind the wheel. Same as any other guitar. Heck, a single humbucker strat knock-off can be versatile in the right hands (who was that Eddie guy again?).

Vladimir
May 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM
After reading this thread, this evening while practicing, I tried playing the following:

-These arms of mine - Roy Buchanan
-Rock the Cashbah - Clash
-Revelation Mother Earth – Ozzy with Randy Rhoads
-Higher Love – Depeche Mode
-Tears – Django Reinhardt
-Some standard Jazz

All on my Squire Standard utilizing my toggle, volume and tone, not touching my SS amp (on the gain channel).
I would usually use my Ibanez SG and Archtop along with my Tele to cover all the sounds mentioned above, but amazingly, it sounded just as good.

I am not kidding you.

Ok, I may only be stretching the imagination while mentioning the words „I play“ in the same paragraph with Roy, Randy and Django, but the sound is there, if you know what I mean.

11 Gauge
May 19th, 2004, 04:11 PM
...that's a good way of describing myself.

i seem to have an identity crisis when it comes to what genre of music i may be playing, and the Tele fits me perfect.

one minute it's quiet background strumming, the next i'm stomping on something and riding the tiger, so to speak...

as for Teles not working for metal, i have to disagree. i seem to remember this guy from Sweden using a Strat when all the rage was Charvels, hot humbuckers, locking trems, and 17" radii necks. like or hate Mr. Malmsteen, he tore up alot of players who were using 'approved' Metal guitars, using just a fairly standard Fender guitar...

give me a Tele with a 9.5" radius neck, my choice of frets, bridge, and bridge pickup (as well as my secret tone circuit mod) and i can not only get into metal territory, but i've done the drop D thing on a few recordings with fantastic results.

but this nut behind the wheel loves changing lanes at will, speeding up, slowing down...

i use my Teles for the cleanest of cleans to the screamiest of screams, from BF Fender clean tones to JCM800 growling, Line 6 models of all types, SansAmp direct tones for recording, through fuzz pedals, through rack gear - it handles everything i can throw at it. the lack of trem or 1 to 3 extra frets just calls for a bit more improvisation...

denny
May 20th, 2004, 02:42 AM
1. No whammy bar. But you can use a DigiTech Whammy effect for the "Little Wing" whammy dive.

2. Man that Tele has some edges. It digs into your ribs. It is REALLY hard to play behind your head.

3. The Tele is kind of neck-heavy.

4. The layout of the controls sucks (somewhat). I reversed the control panel on mine to have the volume knob easily reachable with the pinky, but the front of the control panel is really in the way of strumming no matter the orientation.

All said, I still love it. I am a G*****n convert, and love my Tele.

denny