$vboptions[bbtitle]

Tele and les paul neck?

ddbobdylan
August 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I have a epiphone les paul neck, and i recently bought a telecaster body, that has a 2 and 3/16 " neck pocket, would I be able to put the Les Paul neck on the tele?

Staggered Mag
August 29th, 2009, 01:35 AM
The Les Paul neck has a shorter scale length. Mounted on a standard Tele body the guitar will not intonate.

guitarbuilder
August 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM
It may or may not be possible depending on many factors especially what kind of bridge you are using. I have a Kalamazoo neck that I plan on using on a tele body, and I should be able to intonate it without a problem, based on the measurements I took.
How much forward travel do your tele bridge saddles have from where the they are now? Some bridge types ( and saddle shapes) allow more travel than others. I used slightly longer screws and springs to achieve it myself. You would probably need 1/2-3/4" of forward movement from the highest part of the saddle ( center on round ones) depending on how much distance is from the 22nd fret to the end of the neck. It might put the saddles too close to the pickup for your liking though. Do some accurate measuring and find out.

ddbobdylan
August 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for replying. I haven't actually received the tele body yet. The Les paul neck has 23 frets, would I have to cut it down for it to intonate properly? I bought the tele body on ebay, and it is a telecaster body made by mighty mite, that is liscenced by fender as a replacement body. It comes clear of any electronics. What kind of saddle should I put on it? Also the fret board is 18 1/2".

cmatthes
August 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
A Les Paul with 23 frets?

guitarbuilder
August 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM
23 frets doesn't sound right. Lp's have 22 frets most if not all of the time. I don't want to say always because then somebody would prove me wrong. :-) SG's and other Gibson models have had 24 frets over the years. I can't think of 23 frets on anything I've personally seen from Gibson. As I said earlier, you'll have to wait until you have all the parts and then take some measurements. Whatever the measurement is from the breaking edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret should be the distance from the center of the 12th fret to the breaking edge of the saddle. Then you want some room to move backward away from the nut for compensation purposes which is why saddles are slanted on acoustics and why most saddles look staggered on an electric guitar. I just used a vintage ashtray bridge with 3 brass saddles and used 3 longer screws found at the hardware store. I got the springs from a Harbor Freight Spring assortment I've had.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s162/mmgguitars/bridge.jpg

ddbobdylan
August 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
http://boldt.us/4813-4/gibson-les-paul-custom-1960-reissue

ddbobdylan
August 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Would it save me the trouble, if I just got a tele neck?

ddbobdylan
August 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300340918217

Engraver-60
August 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I count 22 frets on that LP. Don't count the NUT, and don't count the extra fretboard hanging off past fret 22. You'll need to measure the distance from the 12th fret back to the fretboard edge of the nut. Then that's the distance you'll need from the bridge saddles to the 12th fret. Is that even a bolt-on neck? Looks like a standard set neck from epiphone/gibson style to me.

guitarbuilder
August 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Yep A fender neck will take care of any problems unless it doesn't fit into the neck pocket easily.

ddbobdylan
August 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks