$vboptions[bbtitle]

How do I protect the ink on an autographed guitar?

Ericdb_1
July 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I've got a guitar that was signed by Alex Lifeson & a couple of other folks years ago. I'm getting back into playing again after years off & would like to use this one. Is there a coating that would be recommended to put over the autographs, preserving them, that won't affect the finish or quality of the sound? I was thinkning about a spray polyurethane or something and thought I'd better ask before I do something ruinous.

garytelecastor
July 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I would love an answer to this question too.

homerzeppelin
July 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Is the signature on the pick guard or the guitar finish itself?

If it is on the guitar finish, is the finish poly or is it nitro?

lamotta77
July 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
You should use a coat of lacquer...probably acrylic instead of nitro.

This demo displays someone applying decals to guitars and he talks about protecting them with a coat of lacquer afterwards...slightly different topic, but essentially the same purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApMJE2PuzNQ

Papa Joe
July 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I would do a test run before using lacquer.That stuff eats some things..If it was mine I would use clear enamal..

originalmatthew
July 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
if it's for protection only, and you dont mind how it looks, you could use transparent vinyl sheets like the ones that they make window signs out of that you can put on and reuse.

repeatofender
July 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
if it's for protection only, and you dont mind how it looks, you could use transparent vinyl sheets like the ones that they make window signs out of that you can put on and reuse.

+1 that wont melt the ink.

jimd
July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Do you know what they signed with? Was it a Sharpie? I would test whatever you want to coat it with on the same type of ink used to autograph it.

If the autographs are reallly important to you, I honestly would think about retiring that guitar. A job like this could really end badly. If the signatures are on the pickguard, swap it out. If they are on the body, I would pick up a replacement body on ebay and swap that out.

salamatizm
July 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
On nitro:
You can buy transparent water slide decal paper... cut out the shape of the signature and apply it like you normally would a waterslide, then you can coat with nitro...
Sand with fine grit then polish with a rubbing compount. You wont see the decal at all.
It will be like the signature is under the finish!
Nitro never cures and if you would spray nitro over a signed spot without covering it with something transparent, it would most def melt your finish (and signature).

Here you can find a description on how to apply waterslide decals to your favourite nitro finished guitar:
http://relicdeluxe.com/decal_instructions.asp

Here you can buy decal paper, be sure to get transparent paper, not white:
http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/2.htm

On poly:
I would just apply a clear vinyl sticker, and not coat with lacquer or anything. Don't you date come near a nitro finished guitar with vinyl decals, stickers!! :o)