$vboptions[bbtitle]

Best P90 Pickups Currently on Market?

Goldtop78
July 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hi. Looking for opinions regarding P90 pickups for my goldtop 56 reissue les paul. I'm currently using the Gibby's which don't sound too bad, but I can't help but wonder if there is something better out there. I play classic rock, blues, some jazz. I like clean tones and edge of break tones. Thanks!

bootlegger1929
July 7th, 2009, 12:58 AM
look into Harmonic Designs.
His P90 style pickup is supposedly amazing.
I have a set of his tele pups and LOVE them dearly.

fordfanjpn
July 7th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Speaking of P90's, has anyone tried the Fralin humbucking P90?

Bill

Guitarmadcat
July 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I've compared Gibson's P90s with Seymour Duncan and prefer the Gibbos - BY FAR!!!
They sound great in a Les Paul btw.
Maybe consider changing something else down the line, like speakers for example?
Good luck.

telechaser
July 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Speaking of P90's, has anyone tried the Fralin humbucking P90?

Bill

Will check into this. Always wanted a P90 neck on a Tele. The price looks ok too.

tjalla
July 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Clear, tight and detailed - Lollar
Clear, warm and organic - Antiquties
Splitting the difference - Fralin

All very musical.

P-Zilla
July 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
organic is such a silly term.

P90s are hard to mess up. I have played anything from the gibsons, duncans, dimarzios, and lollars. I love the lollars because I could switch magnet type. But for me its all about the ceramic p90s. They twang harder, get nice and raunchy but can be smooth and clean when I rolled back or ease up on my right hand.

Jammin'John
July 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I like the Duncan Vintage P90's. :wink:

JJ

DMace
July 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I played a LP Jr. with a set of Smit's Handwound P-90s in it (I'd never heard of the winder) and it sounded fantastic. $150 a set.

bilpfeiffer
July 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I recommend Vintage Vibe; you can switch the magnets and Pete is a great guy: he will answer any question, try to give advice on how to get the sound you're after and build whatever you want at a reasonable price. Bil

MickM
July 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Can't go wrong with Tom Shorts. So many choices, so few guitars.

tjalla
July 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Organic to my ears = natural, musical, complex.

That's how I hear the Antiquity P90s I've used. They capture a 'broken-in' vibe that most new pickups don't. I can't say the same for stock Gibson/Duncans I compared them too.

Plus they look like they have been sweated on, or buried in the groud. So I'm sticking with organic :mrgreen:

redstringuitar
July 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
organic works for me, good post tjalla.

ac15
July 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Gibson and Wolfetone P90's are my favorites. I swapped several P90 pickups in and out of my guitars, and before I settled on these two as my faves I had: Lollar, Harmonic Design and Seymour Duncan.

The Lollars are good, but a bit "sterile" sounding to me. Harmonic Design P-90's are just plain bad (to me) and I generally love HD pups (just not the P90). By "bad" I mean that whenever I had those pickups (vp90) in one of my guitars (and I had the same P90 set in two different ones), I was always fiddling around with the tone knob to dial out some annoying frequency. Happened in both guitars.

The Duncans I had were one of the overwound, "hot" P90's that came stock with one of my guitars. Honky and horrible. Never tried the Antiquity. I suspect that would have been more to my liking.

I took the stock Gibson P90's out of my Historic Les Paul, thinking there "had to be something better" even though I liked them. I ended up switching back to the Gibsons. Booteek is NOT always better.

ac15
July 8th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hi. Looking for opinions regarding P90 pickups for my goldtop 56 reissue les paul. I'm currently using the Gibby's which don't sound too bad, but I can't help but wonder if there is something better out there. I play classic rock, blues, some jazz. I like clean tones and edge of break tones. Thanks!

Are you using Gibson P90's or the pickups that came stock with the Epiphone? Those guitars do not come stock with Gibson P90's.

Vehje
July 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Has anyone compared the new production Gibsons, Lollars etc. to the vintage P90ish pickups such as Harmony/Silvertone Gibson P13:s or the Kay Barney Kessel pickups? I bought a Silvertone Espanada and a Kay Swingmaster and I absolutely love the sound of both guitars but as they really aren't the hi-end of luthiering I'd like to find the pickups to match those as I'd like to get the same sound from my newer archtops. Any suggestions?

He're are the P90:s I've tried so far:
- Gibson P90: Fat and really middy, brilliant on the bridge with the pole pieces really close to the strings but for some reason I couldn't get these to sound good on the neck, they seem to have lots of upper middle but not enough presence
- Sheptone P90: Skinnier sounding than the Gibsons but for some reason I couldn't dial out some shrill upper-mid-range that annoyed me
- GFS P90: These don't sound like P90 to me at all, really thin single-coil sound that actually resemble the Fender texas special strat pickups, only louder. I actually have the on a tele and I love these pickups in it, they sound bright and clear, just not P90:ish
- Ludgren P90, 10% underwound: Smokey smooth, funny compressed fat sound but still enough highs to sound good clean, I guess this one's closest to the Gibson P13 of the ones I've tried
- Gibson P13 on Silvertone 1427: Brilliant, fat and thick with funny down-to-earth feeling, unbelievably dynamic to the extent you really have to watch your picking. Really "organic" sounding with lots of harminic content, these make a clean amp sound like it's on the edge of break-up
- Kay Barney Kessel: A bit brighter and cleaner than the P13:s but they have the same feeling to the P13:s. Lots of harmonic over/undertones which I guess make the "organic" sound..

Goldtop78
July 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Are you using Gibson P90's or the pickups that came stock with the Epiphone? Those guitars do not come stock with Gibson P90's.

I appreciate the reply's so far.

ac15: the P90's I have are Gibsons.......my LP is a historic reissue.

ac15
July 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I appreciate the reply's so far.

ac15: the P90's I have are Gibsons.......my LP is a historic reissue.

Gotcha. Sorry, misread your post, didn't realize you had the Historic. I've got the Historic 54 (great guitar as well, exactly like the 56 except for the wraparound bridge), and I really like the Gibsons, although I currently have Wolfetone pups in mine.

One thing I like about the Wolfetone pickups is that he uses Alnico II magnets (instead of alnico V like most use). Alnico II mags were used on the very earliest P-90's. It's a slightly less punchy sound, but you get more sustain (due to less string pull) and a smoother breakup. Clean sounds are way better than any alnico V I've tried.

I've heard that the Fralin P-90's are really nice, and somewhat like the Gibsons in terms of overall flavor. I've never actually tried them though. That may be an option if you like the basic flavor of the Gibbys but want something slightly different (plus the neck pickup will be slightly underwound, so they match better, something the stock Gibson P090 does not have).

Happy hunting.

tjalla
July 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Antiquities are also Alnico II, fwiw.

Teleholder
July 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone have experience with the Lollar 50's Wind P-90's?

Chrismo
July 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone have experience with the Lollar 50's Wind P-90's?

I've been looking into these pickups and received an e-mail about them.

My original e-mail:

Hi,

Iím thinking of using 2 P-90s in a Tele build with an alder body and maple neck. What set of your P-90s would retain a spanky quality but keeping a warm fatter tone? The underwound 50s set?

Please let me know. Thank you!

Greg from Lollar Pickups replied:

Hey Chris,

Thanks for checking with us.

Yes, our Ď50s set would be a great choice:
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=252&Category_Code=p90-pickups

They have a nice top-end sparkle, but stay sweet and clear.

Regards,
GT

Teleholder
July 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Chrismo. That's great information. Mine would be going into a Squier Tele Custom. I've heard a few clips, all in Goldtops, but I love the vintage sound. Now it's just the price tag holding me back for now.

mark norwine
July 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Speaking of P90's, has anyone tried the Fralin humbucking P90? Bill

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I put a "5% under" in my '54 ES-175. WOW!

The world has been waiting for this pickup since 1946. Honestly, these are the best thing to happen in a very long time..... 100% P90 tone, but dead quiet. Quieter than some PAF-style pickups I own.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/mark_norwine/IMG_1951.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/mark_norwine/IMG_1952.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/mark_norwine/IMG_1953.jpg

ac15
July 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the detailed photos. That's a pretty slick design he came up with.

mark norwine
July 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I *think* (could be wrong) that the old Gibson EBO pickup was similar...

ac15
July 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
To further throw a wrench in things (just another option), I recently put a TV Jones Filtertron in one of my P90 guitars. It sounds fantastic, as I do love the Filtertron tone. The example shown here is a "Powertron," but mine is the standard "TV Classic" Filtertron. Here it is. :

https://tvjones.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=0102-062

mad dog
July 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Just put a set of the Harmonic Designs VP-90s in my Orville LP Special. This was already a damn nice guitar, now it's somewhere else altogether. I've heard plenty of nice P-90s ... these HDs are right up there with the best of them.

TELE_BLUES
July 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
'56 goldtop r.i.The goldtop w/p-90s imo the best of the best in les pauls.I have aset of rio grandes in a guitar right now and love 'em.I also have a set of MANLIUS "howlin goat" p-90's in a mahogany body les paul jr. type guitar.Vintage specs a very nice set of p-90's.I'll be contacting him for another set soon.He has a few set of p.u.'s on ebay right now.Plus he's only 1-1/2 hr away from me i'll have to stop in some time and check him out in person.

Zhangliqun
July 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Well crap on a stick! Why didn't I think of that???

The world has been waiting for this pickup since 1946. Honestly, these are the best thing to happen in a very long time..... 100% P90 tone, but dead quiet. Quieter than some PAF-style pickups I own.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/mark_norwine/IMG_1951.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/mark_norwine/IMG_1952.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/mark_norwine/IMG_1953.jpg

Jason Lollar
July 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I made something like that ten years ago but it sounded too much like a humbucker to my ear. Anyone seen soundfiles posted anywhere?

garymaddox
July 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I made something like that ten years ago but it sounded too much like a humbucker to my ear. Anyone seen soundfiles posted anywhere?

My problem is ALL P90's sound like a humbucker to me. I guess I don't know how to listen right!

What's the secret?

Zhangliqun
July 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I take it the design is not patented then?

Zhangliqun
July 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
P90s are hard to mess up. I have played anything from the gibsons, duncans, dimarzios, and lollars. I love the lollars because I could switch magnet type.

You should be able to swap mags easily on any P90, especially soapbars. Easiest mag swap there is.

Roli
July 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
My problem is ALL P90's sound like a humbucker to me. I guess I don't know how to listen right!

What's the secret?

Haha, you're so right! They must sound similar, it's steel poles and lots of wire taking up a somewhat large, wide space in both cases. lol That means the aperture and the magnetic field is similar, so the sound is pretty similar too. Only the 2nd one is humbucking.

Chrismo
July 11th, 2009, 03:35 AM

What's the secret?

See, that's the beauty of a P-90. It's all in how you approach it.

If you play 'em as if they were a set of Tele pickups, they have a crystal clean spank, especially if they're a lower wind.

If you play 'em as a humbucker, really needing that extra crunch, you get it.

They are by far some of the most versatile pickups ever.

david henman
July 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
...i have a musicman albert lee with three p90s.

its hard to imagine a better sounding p90, but i'm curious to know how they compare to the ones touted here.

anyone?

-dh

Arthur Dent
July 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone tried these from Shed Pickups?

Sollophonic
July 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I really like the second hand Kent Armstrong I put in this little thing

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/EpiLPJnrmodded3.jpg

valiant
July 18th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Bare Knuckle pickups in the U.K. are very highly rated and make a P90.....

Steve McGinnis
July 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I just put a set in my Les Paul Special (96). They sound fantastic! I originally liked the gibson bridge but the neck was too woofy. I got the Fralins for a good deal on ebay (170 for the pair) and put them in. Both the neck and bridge position improved dramatically.

bmgblues
July 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Budz P90 hands down!!

MikeMurray
July 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
BG Pups in my opinion :)

JTM45blues
July 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Fralins all the way. His neck and bridge pickup were what Sean Costello had in his 56 Les Paul Reissue, not the Lollars. This was straight from Sean at a gig that he played locally.

I have Fralins with an RS guitarworks upgrade kit, and its fabulous, sounds like old Chess Records tones on the neck and Freddy King on the bridge pickup. Awesome, awesome tone. I've also used it for playing rockabilly, and it does really well at that too, for some Carl Perkins flavor.

SpaceyBen
July 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I put in a set of Lollar's in my R6 and a wiring kit from RS and it is phenomenal. Best pup's ever IMHO.

benbo
August 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Spence is the MAN!!!!! You wont go wrong with anything from Spence. Tell him Ben sent you and to leave the sheep alone:shock:

jumpnblues
August 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Lots of great pu suggestions here and some of the best pu builders in the world posting on this very thread. I have 3 standard Lollar P-90s in my Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster and they sound luscious. I also have the David Plummer (Cherrick wind, I think) P-90s in my '54 Chambered LPGT and they sound equally killer. Big, juicy, fat, and yet clear sounding. Also, the clips of David Stephens' SD Design P-90s on his website sound superb.
That said, based on Mark Norwine's assessment alone, I'd like to hear clips of the Fralin noiseless P-90s. A little 60 cycle hum doesn't bother me much if the pu sounds stellar...like the Lollars and Plummers. So, any noiseless pu I try had better have "the tone" first and foremost. Being noiseless is just icing on the cake. I've only tried a Fender (Tele if I recall) with their noiseless single coil pu and, no offense, but I thought it really sucked. So my opinion of noiseless pu's is a little jaded.

Tom

SnidelyWhiplash
August 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Sheptones! :smile:

marc sosnoff
August 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
thorn guitars makes P-90 staples they are the best of the best. just like his guitars

never can go wrong with fralin

and klein maybe the best bang for the buck

Jason Lollar
August 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Zang could be he patented it I dont know-just because its patented doesnt mean its new it just means it hasnt been patented before.
Anyone care to know about sean costello- look at this old thread where stephant 2 who says he never installed my pickups has to say way back when http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/34729-hamel-pickups-3.html
its 9 post down from the top. Later on stephen2 claims they never were in seans guitar.
I dont know why people think I lie about it. Its hard to prove now that hes gone and who knows why he said what he did at times?

909one
August 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Jason, I just ordered some of your 50's Wind p-90s.
I am really excited to get these in my reissue 330.
I was playing it last night with the stock Gibson pickups, through my Tweed Bandmaster clone, and it sounds likes total garbage to me right now.
Its such a beautifully playing guitar, but I just hate the way it sounds.
Output is way too hot. The bridge pickup way too honky and even a little shrill. The neck is too overbearing in the low mids.
I put a TV jones in the bridge position and it sounded great, but I already have a vintage Gretsch for that duty.
Looking forward to getting your pickups in there.
I have your Tele pickups and they are wonderful.

Jason Lollar
August 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks boss. I do not want to take that any further as it could be considered spam.

JTM45blues
August 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone care to know about sean costello- look at this old thread where stephant 2 who says he never installed my pickups has to say way back when http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/34729-hamel-pickups-3.html
its 9 post down from the top. Later on stephen2 claims they never were in seans guitar.
I dont know why people think I lie about it. Its hard to prove now that hes gone and who knows why he said what he did at times?

Jason,

I'm in no way trying to "lie" or "get in an argument" with you. However, I heard this straight from Sean's mouth on 2 occasions, when playing our local club, Blues on Grand. The claim he made both times, was that he never received his pickups from you. Obviously I didn't take his guitar apart to find out, and then photograph the evidence but that's what he claimed to me and a couple of my friends.

I've heard nothing but praise about your P90 pickups, and I'm sure they're wonderful. I was just speaking from my experience of having 2 seperate conversations with Sean.

Jason Lollar
August 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I talked to Sean many times on the phone. Dont know why he said that to you- who knows? People do and say odd things, I cant speak for Sean.
Simple twist of fate- what a killin version he did on that Dylan tune- amazing.

JTM45blues
August 30th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I talked to Sean many times on the phone. Dont know why he said that to you- who knows? People do and say odd things, I cant speak for Sean.
Simple twist of fate- what a killin version he did on that Dylan tune- amazing.

Indeed sir, indeed.

Mr. E
August 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Talking about P90s. Has anyone tried out the BG T90 pickups? I know they are not a "real" P90 but P90 tele bridge pickup, but how is it?

Escondido Bound
August 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hoping not to hijack the thread for too long, but for those of you who know them, would the Fralin noise-canceling P-90 fit under the cover for a neck position pickup on an early-'50s Gibson ES-125? The original P-90s on these guitars stand shorter because there is less clearance between the strings and the body; I think these neck pickups are similar to the original LP Jr. rounded-cover P-90s.

I hope so because these pickups look very interesting to me.

EB

mistermullens
September 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Wow, this thread couldn't have come back up at a better time. Just scored a Squier Tele Custom II, and the pups are pretty good, but I'm looking for better. The neck pup is kind of dull sounding. Its got plenty of punch, but its just not lively. Its not muddy, but it just ain't right. The bridge pup is pretty darn good, but its its too hot for me. I've already got them both lowered almost flush with the pickguard, and the volume down. I play a lot of blues (mostly Chicago style), slide, and some classic rock. I'd like to be able to go from Muddy Waters, Freddie King, to Allman Brothers, with a touch of Zep. I don't play clean, but these P90s have opened me up to the sweetness of a clean P90. Can I have it all? I need them to be just right. This guitar is a keeper for sure.

denizen69
April 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
you guys should check out http://www.lokiguitars.com

no doubt about it that these are the best. Pretty Versatile and dynamic as heck, they hum-cancel too.
should check them out! :grin:

Nathan
May 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Why didn't I think of that???

I did think of that years ago. Too bad Lindy beat me to it... It's the same design Lace used on their PS900 series soapbars, but they add the little combs and use a triangular coil. I thought: drop all the fancy stuff and wire up a P90 with the coils rotated 90 degrees. I sure want to hear them now.

Stratburst
May 19th, 2010, 02:54 PM
BG Pups in my opinion :)

Mine too. I have an overwound BG soapbar in my lap steel and it sounds stellar. Bryan Gunsher is a joy to deal with as well. I have an underwound humbucker and an overwound SC from BG that's going into my partstele.

I also really like Rio Grande's P-90's.

Talking about P90s. Has anyone tried out the BG T90 pickups? I know they are not a "real" P90 but P90 tele bridge pickup, but how is it?

Never tried them, but I've heard really good things about them.

SouthpawGuy
May 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I have a set of Fralin noiseless P-90s in my Heritage 137, stock wind. I like them a lot.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/Heritage%20137/137-01.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/Heritage%20137/137-07.jpg

Jakeboy
May 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
+1 on Vintage Vibe...I just put one in the bridge of my Hamer Monaco Elite Mahogany & LOVE it!

rock bottom
May 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Bare Knuckle pickups in the U.K. are very highly rated and make a P90.....

I woud go for the bk p90

gmann
May 21st, 2010, 08:11 PM
Sheptones! :smile:

Oh hell yes! I recently put these in my '96 R4 and couldn't be happier. Great tones all around and the neck pup is totally usable where it wasn't with the stock Gibson pups. Perfecet amt of grind and they clean up so nice when I back down on the vol.

MaxCaster
May 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Man, that Fralin noiseless is one wicked raw badass looking P90....

WrapAround
May 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
what is "the best" is subjective but we all know that. ;) i currently use Lollar in one of my guitars and it is a good/polite sounding P-90. it never gets raunchy like my P-90 from '59 or '60. but with that said, it's a very good sounding pickup. the P-90s out of my Gibson CS guitar is surprisingly "gain-y" sounding compare to the above 3. i also liked Fralin P-90 as well which doesn't have that "politeness" of the Lollar pickup.

Radspin
May 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I have a Grosh ElectraJet Standard with Grosh G-90s and they are superb. Well-balanced, clear, full, powerful, just fantastic.

RatherBeFishing
May 24th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Lollar are hard to beat. I have 3 of them in a maple/swamp ash, chambered strat and it is a great sounding guitar. They may work particularly well with strats for some reason. Someone else on the forum said they played a strat w/ Lollar P90s at a show and was impressed.

My buddies Bare Knuckle sounds good in the neck position of his modified Jagmaster.

I believe that Rob DiStefano says good things about Rio Grande and the plain ole' Gibsons.

Chewy
May 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Surprised there's only one mention in this thread of GFS. I thought everybody liked their P90's, but I thought mine just sounded like a loud Texas Special Strat pickup in the neck slot of my Tele too. But I am by no means a P90 aficionado.

Caisa
May 24th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Just wondering no one throws in the Thorn GT-90 "Staple Tops"...

audio astronomy
August 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
I need some help finding some p90's for my 92 Les Paul Special. Before I found this thread, people recommended me Lollars or Fralins but after reading this, there's too many choices! The guitar came with p100's that I really dislike but the guitar plays and resonates extremely well so I bought it anyway. The biggest problem is that I don't have access to these pickups locally so I can't try them out. I usually play a lot of clean and lightly overdriven stuff on the neck pickup and the complete opposite on the bridge pickup. Also, do you guys have sound clips for the other pickups? I've heard the Lollars and Fralins so far but that's about it. I'm also thinking of changing the original pots.

Coach305
August 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
When I recently came down with a bad P90 jones (not to put in my Tele; just wanted another guitar), I happened across a Hanson Cigno at my favorite guitar store. Fell in love, took it home that day. Hanson started out as a pickup-building company, and only recently branched out into guitars. In any event, here's what their take on a P90 sounds like:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KXO8Vd5laKI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KXO8Vd5laKI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Pickups themselves can be ordered here (http://shop.1asecure.com/index.cfm?StID=10673&DeptNo=16)...

ac15
August 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
When I recently came down with a bad P90 jones (not to put in my Tele; just wanted another guitar), I happened across a Hanson Cigno at my favorite guitar store. Fell in love, took it home that day. Hanson started out as a pickup-building company, and only recently branched out into guitars. In any event, here's what their take on a P90 sounds like:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KXO8Vd5laKI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KXO8Vd5laKI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Pickups themselves can be ordered here (http://shop.1asecure.com/index.cfm?StID=10673&DeptNo=16)...

I live in Chicago and I know the guy in the video (the main guy at Hanson Guitars). I bought my White Falcon from him about a year ago. Nice guy and yeah he has some cool guitars.

audio astronomy
August 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
That sounds pretty good and has a decent price. I'll def look more into it.

IdahoPicker
August 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
Probably going to be laughed at, but I rather enjoy Epiphone's P-90's. A nice warm bite to them.

Gary in Boston
August 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
I have a Dream 90 by GFS on my Seafoam Green guitar. Every single time I use this guitar around other folks they ask about the pickup. It's loud, fat ~ yet clean until you crank the amp. All for $ 32 or so.

Gary

Stratburst
August 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
I don't know about "best" but my choice for "best bang-for-buck" is BG Pickups (http://www.bgpickups.com/). I have an overwound P-90 in my lap steel and it's absolutely gorgeous, can twang or scream depending on the situation.

Gary in Boston
August 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I played a LP Jr. with a set of Smit's Handwound P-90s in it (I'd never heard of the winder) and it sounded fantastic. $150 a set.

I know this is a small point but Les Paul Jrs are single pickup guitars.....
You know Jr not yet grown up or mature........ before they grew their second pickup and became Les Paul Specials. Folks refer to any LP with P90's as Jrs and they are not.

I'm done now.

Gary

Bloozcat
August 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm doing a P-90 Strat project soon and after listening to some sound files on the new Kinman P-90 Hx, I think I might like to try a set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvP3soyUK9M

stephent2
August 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Zang could be he patented it I dont know-just because its patented doesnt mean its new it just means it hasnt been patented before.

On Sean's '53 Lollar rewound one pickup twice. On Sean's t90 I used one p90 of Lollars p90s and tele bridge we bought at retail, we replaced the Lollar bridge PU with a Budz. That's it. One rewind and one new p90. On Sean's '90s Goldtop reissue he had Fralins.

These guitars are still around in the hands of his family, (other than the t90 I built for Sean which the family buried w/ Sean) and what I've written easily verifiable.

Yes, Sean was irritated Lollar was using his name to sell pickups. After being on the road since he was 16, at 28 he was tired of getting little back from all his hard work, the props he got weren't really enough to keep the van topped up in gas.

Edit: There was a custom built thing that had Lollar jazzmaster PUs by Matt Wilson, Sean's gtr tech from St. Louis. Sean had that guitar on one gig, the strings kept popping out of the saddles,... there was a falling out w/ Matt, he took that guitar back to St. Louis.

Edit: I went back and read the thread, what a total mischaracterization. Exactly what I'm accused of doing. Liar is a fighting word, I don't take it lightly.

As a matter of fact, there's a post by another forum member who I don't know,... who said he spoke w/ Sean on the road and his report echos mine.

bargoedboy
August 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/page4.html
Alan does some great pickups, got a neck H/B he made specially for my tele. But P90 looks nice in a tele too.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/bargoedboy/flametop2.jpg

ashasha
March 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Yes, I know that this is an old thread, but it was one of the only resources on the internet that talked about noiseless P90's at all. I was set to buy a set of the Fralin noiseless P90's and I'm sure that they're great, but there seemed to be something missing from all the clips that I was hearing even though they sounded good.

Anyway, the point of my post here is to say that I just bought a set of Kinman P90 Hx pickups which are noiseless soapbar P90 pickups and I have to say that I'm completely blown away by them. They're a bit pricier than I would have liked to pay, but I did a LOT of research and while some of the other offerings out there are noiseless they're doing it with sidewinder type configurations which really are humbuckers and I can hear it in the clips I heard.

The P90 Hx pickups on the other hand are made from over 200 individual components with 8 years of R&D behind them vs a P90 which has 13 pieces making them. So the price is higher, but $100+ for a Gibson P90 with 13 parts vs a P90 Hx for $159 with 200 parts (minus the noise) actually justifies it a bit. There is a lot more going on in these than a standard P90 and they're going to cost considerably more to make.

Anyway I don't post very often on here unless I think that it's really valuable information and the Kinman P90 Hx belongs in the discussion here. I'd highly recommend them for anyone looking for a P90 without the hum that comes with them.

jackal
March 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Lawrence L-90s.

JKjr
March 6th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Kinda weird this thing popping up again while I've been auditioning P90's in my '56 Goldtop. Glad the Kinmans are working out for you Ashasha.

I have several P90 guitars and a few different pickup sets, and I've been swapping them between guitars and playing through different amp setups to get an idea of what worked best where. Short summary:

In the CS56 the stock Gibsons just suited this guitar better. Aparently the midrange honk and agressive nature bring this guitar alive, especially with the JTM45. One of my favorite guitar sounds bar none. Both the Lollars (stock wind bridge, -10% neck) and the Fralins(same) were wonderful but the Gibsons were just RIGHT. They were my least favorite pickup in every other application. Not that they aren't very good pickups,the others are just stellar.

The McInturff Royal was a different story. I've played it with the stock pickups for years.I knew there was room for improvement, but why do you change anything on a guitar that sounds that good? Anyway, the Gibsons were a step down from the stockers, fatter but with less air or definition. An essential clarity just kinda went away. Both the Lollars and the Fralins were off the scale both clean and driven. The harmonics are just stupid. With any amp. Why did I wait so long?

I ended up leaving the Lollars in the PRS SE and the Fralins in the McInturff, but would be just as happy the other way around. The Gibsons were also quite good in this guitar, especially with a slide and some tweed.

musicalmartin
March 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I use Toneriders in my PRS SE Custom Semi Soapbar ,The hot p90 though they are not very hot at all just hotter than their vintage p90.If more expensive ones are better than them they must be ultra fantastic .Very pleased with the sound, and the low price .Not anticipating buying more expensive ones.Dont need to .the PRS versions were OK ,quite good but not as good as the Toneriders .

ashasha
March 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Lawrence L-90s.
Yeah, I am a HUGE Bill Lawrence fan, but they don't seem to be P90 sized pickups, they look like their halfway between soapbar and humbucker sized; plus they're pretty rare. I've never seen or heard one to be honest. I've been hoping that Bill would make a real noiseless P90, but he's had health issues the last few years and been moving around as well so it's probably low on his list of priorities.

As for more expensive sounding better, well if you want P90 sound and don't mind the hum that comes with it you can get a really nice one for reasonable prices, from my personal research trying to do it without hum is going to cost you a bit and in most cases take away some of that P90 mojo. The Kinmans really fit the bill for me though and while I wish it could have been done cheaper I don't think that it can be done better right now.

thephatboi
April 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have a mahogany tele with Fralin P-90s, and it is a truly fantastic combination. This tele has both mahogany neck and body so it is really more like a les paul special in terms of wood. I have built many custom guitars (had a shop out of Nadine's in Hollywood for years) and can say there is no one pickup that is better; it is more about matching the pickup to the guitar just like matching a microphone to a singers voice. I have been super impressed with the fat warmth, clarity and musicality of the Fralins in this guitar. Have not tried all the others mentioned here, all I can say is in this Tele, I am done, not touching a thing...:) Fralin also makes a humbucker sized P90 style pu called the P92. I love these too, though they are probably a bit clearer sounding than stock p90s and they humcancel. Highly recommended. BTW I don't think ANY of the humcancelling p90 style pups will sound EXACTLY like a P90, that is not to say they are great in their own way, just different; there is something about the shape of the coil of a p90 which affects the sound and if you change the shape and size (to make it humcancel) it WILL sound different. So if you want true p90 sound I believe you have to have a single coil P90...

dani
April 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
pete biltoft of vintage vibe built me a 7-string p90 (to my specs and requirement) and it was a piece of art at a reasonable price. sounded like how a p90 should and allowed the changing of magnets. really took the time and effort to explain what will work and what not. will be getting pete to build me another set of 7-string p90s soon.

i also own a set of lollars standards and they are clear as hell. a roll of the tone knob will give you the woman tone without going all muddy and losing clarity. not as brutish as a vintage gibson p90 but a whole load of finesse. more hi-fi than sterile i should say. beware, sloppy playing will not do them justice.

i have a wolfetone meaner coming in a custom lp jr dc that i ordered. will see how it will compare to lollars and vvg. btw, wolfe is currently in the prototyping stage of his take on a noiseless p90. will be interesting to see how that turn out.

trev333
April 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Do P90's benefit from a TBX tone control and treble bleed mods?... and separate V&T circuits for each PU?..

my soldering iron hand is getting itchy... :twisted:

I'm running the two through 1V-1T atm... sounds OK... maybe I could get more out of them?..

RichardM
April 29th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Brierley Guitar Pickups (http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au/p90.htm) Hand made in Aus. :cool:

geetarfreek82
June 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised nobody had mentioned Fezz's FP90'S yet! His youtube videos of them sound great, you can get a more fender-ish clarity out of a Gibson. Most people don't know that some of the earliest Gibson P90's had rod magnets in them (in the 40's/50's).

fenson
June 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm surprised nobody had mentioned Fezz's FP90'S yet! His youtube videos of them sound great, you can get a more fender-ish clarity out of a Gibson. Most people don't know that some of the earliest Gibson P90's had rod magnets in them (in the 40's/50's).

One did I think and it didn't go over well.

fenson
June 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
David Allen make a nice one as well.

eggman
June 6th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Howdy,

I'm quite happy with the pedestrian Duncan Vintage Soapbars in my Gibson LP Special. It's my "desert Island" guitar.

Teleglide
June 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Many to love. Lollars have the sound I'm looking for.

jamieorc
June 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Bill Lawrence L-609/610s. Humbucker-sized. Quiet and beautiful. Blow away the MM-90s in my Musicman Axis Sport

GCKelloch
June 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'd like to hear those 609/610's. Got any recordings?
Which PUP do you have in each position, and which H values?

fezz parka
June 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
FP90's:
bW_W_E_ncpE

eggman
June 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Howdy,

A single P-90 through a SF Champ. Go Fezz, go! Enjoyed it. :)

Carvalho Diablo
June 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
"Best" P90 ? No idea.

But I do know that I absolutely adore my SD Phat Cat in the neck of my Logan Custom telecaster. Just perfect...for me.

OG_Stike
June 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have a 69 SG Special like the ones Pete Townsend played. Had it since the early 70's. The stock P90's in that have served me well over the years - the neck pickup with the tone rolled off can produce the most wonderful Fripp tone. The guitar has seen better days and I rarely play it now. I do remember someone telling me that the PUs were etermely hot and to never part with them. They do hum alot and I spend much time when recording moving around to find the sweet spot with minimal hum.

I did put a Kinman P90 in my Tele and I have been very happy with it.

telejonez
July 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
The Frailin humbucking P-90s probably sound great. But then it's not a P-90, is it? It is oxymoronic.

SarahThustra
July 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
The Frailin humbucking P-90s probably sound great. But then it's not a P-90, is it? It is oxymoronic.

Ever get that feeling that you're pretty late to the conversation?

D.Allen
July 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
David Allen make a nice one as well.

Thank you Fenson.
Nancy Wilson and Derek ST Holmes both play my CoolCat P90 and Derek is Playing my PhilthyCat P90 on tour with Ted right now.
Here he is finding HIS SOUND
oCEi8v9M1uc

KenH
July 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
A lot of PU's discussed. Still waiting on the "Best" P90.

fezz parka
July 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
The Staple p90's are my fave.

D.Allen
July 3rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
A lot of PU's discussed. Still waiting on the "Best" P90.

Best is in the hands and ear's of the player who loves them.

4mal
July 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
I am very happy with a set of Pete Biltoft's P90s in a PRS. They really have a wonderful character to them. As usual with Vintage Vibe, his traditional tone, modern methods thing is at play with the swappable magnets and with the pickups themselves being very quiet as far as hum and single coil noise goes.

KenH
July 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Best is in the hands and ear's of the player who loves them.

Yes indeed. Along with the best amp, best guitar, best pedal, best strings, etc.

felis
July 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Iíve changed several P90 sets in my guitar, Kloppmann SB52ís are staying in place.

mad dog
July 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Just put a pair of Wolfetone P-90s in my Epiphone ES-295. the "Mean" P-90 in the neck, "meaner" in the bridge. Best modern P-90s I've heard. They remind me of vintage P-90 tones from the 50s. Big sound, warm, punchy and clear. No need to look further.

MD

jgnov99
August 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
See, that's the beauty of a P-90. It's all in how you approach it.

If you play 'em as if they were a set of Tele pickups, they have a crystal clean spank, especially if they're a lower wind.

If you play 'em as a humbucker, really needing that extra crunch, you get it.

They are by far some of the most versatile pickups ever.

AHHH! Someone who truly gets it! The coolest pups ever made IMHO. I have never found one that's more versatile OR more responsive than a good P-90! Sorta like driving an old VW Beetle. Not the fanciest thing out there but, when you really begin to become familiar with it, it becomes like a part of you and begins to take on your personality, and you can make it do whatever you need it to do..... My $0.02....

surfoverb
August 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM
lollar

thread/

chris Ray Nesly
August 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hi all ! - I ask myself why, in every subject, everybody speak about MOST expensive materials & big firm, and not the contrary ? Example : Wilkinson 30/35$ p u ! That's a quite maniac atitude in every forum and it bores people. So, I believe I don't reveive news or bad feedback, but I don't really care : I have my opinion, and make difference between good and half-bad (or good). Never read an original or new words anywhere.
Good luck all ! Chris, 63 y. o., France. -

ac15
August 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Just put a pair of Wolfetone P-90s in my Epiphone ES-295. the "Mean" P-90 in the neck, "meaner" in the bridge. Best modern P-90s I've heard. They remind me of vintage P-90 tones from the 50s. Big sound, warm, punchy and clear. No need to look further.

MD

I currently have Seymour Duncan Antiquities in my Les Paul, and they're great, but I would also probably put the Wolfetone's at or near the top of those I tried, and I have just about tried everything. It's a set I will still keep when I offload all of my extra P-90's. In my case I had the "Mean" in the bridge, which most people don't do, but it's great.

ac15
August 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM

MD

I currently have Seymour Duncan Antiquities in my Les Paul, and they're great, but I would also probably put the Wolfetone's at or near the top of those I tried, and I have just about tried everything. It's a set I will still keep when I offload all of my extra P-90's. In my case I had the "Mean" in the bridge, which most people don't do, but it's great.

FilthyFur74
August 25th, 2013, 12:51 PM

I've got Shed Vintage P90s wired up with RS GuitarWorks Vintage wiring with bumblebees. Outstanding pickups with not a bad tone to be had on bridge, neck or both together. Real warmth and woodiness without ever getting muddy and absolutely filthy when pushed. The guy who builds them certainly knows what he's doing but he doesn't half take his time and can be a pain to get hold of. Fortunately I didn't have to deal directly with him as the luthier who built my guitar did all that.