Can I change the tube type in my od pedal?

April 22nd, 2004, 03:26 AM
I have a Tube Works Real Tube-- the one with 3 tone controls, and I like it, but don't use the highest part of the gain range on it. I'm wondering if I can switch out the 12AX7 for an AT7 or even an AU7. (I actually use it as a boost as often as I do as an OD). Does any one here know if I'll jack up the pedal by doing that? I NEVER use it past about 6, and if I'm thinking correctly, and it's technically feasible to do that, it would widen the range that I actually use on it. I don't want to ruin the pedal, but I'm thinking that switching out the tubes might lower me down into the Blues Driver neighborhood?????? All replies gratefully accepted, even if I'm a d@mn fool and you tell me so!!! Dogg

Tim Bowen
April 22nd, 2004, 04:04 AM
No problems at all, experiment to your heart's content. Some folks like 5751's in that pedal & others swear by 12AU7's. I doubt I'd try a 6L6 though... :shock:

April 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM
I've had great results with NOS Phillips 12AU7 in that pedal.

One thing to consider - when you drop down to tubes that have less gain, you may incounter more hiss than you're use to. Depending on how you set your pedal, and where it is in your chain of effects, you may or may not notice much.

April 22nd, 2004, 05:19 PM
I appreciate the help!!!Dogg