$vboptions[bbtitle]

changing tele headstock

nkkenkel
June 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I was considering changing a tele necks headstock to an angled headstock, but I'm not 100% sure on how to do this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was probably going to get a GFS neck to do this with.

Jack Wells
June 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Why would you want to do that?

originalmatthew
June 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
well, you cant change the angle of the holes without major surgery on the headstock.
You can reshape the profile if ya really want to with a band saw and a sander.
Might I suggest saving some work? If you are going for that banana headstock look, there are several kramer style necks on e-bay. A little sanding and finishing and poof, there ya have it!

nkkenkel
June 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
well my build was going to start off as a tele, but the further I got into the possibilities and what I was really looking for, the further I started getting from a tele. My body is still basically based on my Tele layout including the neck cavity and bridge, but I am now looking to do a 3 per-side headstock. I figured I would have to completely remove the current headstock and put on a new one.

originalmatthew
June 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Oh, that angled. lol
If you are on a tight budget, Search "Eden guitar neck" on ebay. You can get an angled paddle head neck pretty cheaply in 25.5" or 24.75" scale. I have gotten necks from them that are ok, and some that were downright pretty but plan on doing some fret leveling and smoothing.

Jack Wells
June 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I am now looking to do a 3 per-side headstock. I figured I would have to completely remove the current headstock and put on a new one.

Unless you're a fairly skilled woodworker, I would advise against that. If you want a neck with a 3 & 3 angled headstock.......... buy it. Sell your Telecaster neck to someone who can appreciate it.

KevinB
June 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Yes, cutting a correct 15 degree angled scarf joint requires some serious tools - not to mention experience - to get it right.

LocustPlague
June 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Even if you did get the scarf joint cut properly, how in the hell could you fit 3&3 tuners on a tele headstock?

Jack Wells
June 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well I don't think he planned to use the Tele headstock once he cut it off.

nkkenkel
June 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Well I havent bought a neck to ruin just yet. But I am definitely going to go ahead and spend the extra money and buy an angled plank head instead of trying to convert one. Sometime down the line I will try my hand at neck building and see how it turns out.
I plan on documenting the build with pictures, so if all goes right I will post them in the forums if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone