Chord Crazy!!!

tube power
May 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I'm trying to play a "simple" part exactly as recorded by Kix Brooks on
"Brand New Man"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFv06CFyks

First chord into the solo, he hangs on that chord ala "Pinball Wizzard"
Seems like some kind of e shape at the 8th or 9th but no matter how
I try to finger it the sound isn't even close.

Anyone able to duplicate that sound?

Telenator
May 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I don't have sound here at work but, have you considered it might be in an alternate tuning?

tube power
May 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I don't have sound here at work but, have you considered it might be in an alternate tuning?

I did think of that, but then he jumps right into an open D, adds and does a
pull off scale and it sounds like open E pentatonic just fine.

strat a various
May 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
S.V.

ednew
May 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Try this:

Grab a first position C chord.

Slide that up to the 8th fret (now it's a G chord) and add your little finger to 10th fret (D) on the first string. Get the Gsus / G major toggle by hammering your little finger onto the 10th fret(C) 4th string. Finally if you want to, use your thumb on 10th fret last string (D).

The G is the drone tone--not the D. No special tuning required,

Hope it helps.

Ed

TeleHawg
May 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Whether or not he's dropped the low D string, it sounds to me as if he's strumming a seventh-fret (D-shape) G with a suspended fourth (C) on the high E string. This "Pinball Wizard" chord, along with the open D string (and a band behind you!) would get you close enough, I think.

strat a various
May 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
S.V.

strat a various
May 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Try this:

Slide that up to the 8th fret (now it's a G chord) and add your little finger to 10th fret (D) on the first string. Get the Gsus / G major toggle by hammering your little finger onto the 10th fret(C) 4th string. Finally if you want to use your thumb on 10th fret last string (D).

The G is the drone string--not the D.

Hope it helps.

Ed

I think you nailed it. The D is the acoustic playing GBDGDG, as in a G chord with a suspended D. The Strat is doing exactly what you said. Together, the G and D blend.

tube power
May 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Try this:

Slide that up to the 8th fret (now it's a G chord) and add your little finger to 10th fret (D) on the first string. Get the Gsus / G major toggle by hammering your little finger onto the 10th fret(C) 4th string. Finally if you want to, use your thumb on 10th fret last string (D).

The G is the drone tone--not the D. No special tuning required,

Hope it helps.

Ed

I'll use that.
Alone, it sounds weak, but at rehearsal I bet it fits great...
http://www.joeradachi.com/b.mp3

Thanks guys

ednew
May 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
You still need to add the sus4 chord.

Here's an easy way:

Slide that 1st position C chord once again up to the 8th fret / 2nd string and add the little finger to the 10th fret / 1st string (D) and keep it there.

To toggle from the G major drone chord to the Gsus, just hammer onto the 10th fret / 4th string (C) with the third finger.

Here are the shapes:

G major drone chord Gsus

E-10 E-10
B-8 B-8
G-open G-open
D-9 D-10
A-10 A-silent
E-silent E-silent

Ed

strat a various
May 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'll use that.
Alone, it sounds weak, but at rehearsal I bet it fits great...
http://www.joeradachi.com/b.mp3

Thanks guys

ednew has a great ear for open chords, he's 100% right on the chord. It only sounds weak without the acoustic(Dunn) also playing the open "G" chord with extra "D" on the 3rd fret 2nd string.

Really good work ednew.

tube power
May 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
ednew has a great ear for open chords, he's 100% right on the chord. It only sounds weak without the acoustic(Dunn) also playing the open "G" chord with extra "D" on the 3rd fret 2nd string.

Really good work ednew.

For sure.

Thanks ednew.

ednew
May 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Sweet of you to say that, guys--thanks!! :grin:

E