$vboptions[bbtitle]

Basic bridge question

Little Timmy
May 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Does a standard vintage style SC bridge cover a routing for a HB?

JasonRobert
May 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Does a standard vintage style SC bridge cover a routing for a HB?

no, you will be left with two holes either side where the tabs of the humbuckers sit.

Little Timmy
May 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming

yegbert
May 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I tried it on a Squier Standard Series Special Tele. That body was routed the way that is common for a typically mounted, typically sized humbucker. As such, it had areas routed to allow for those side tabs, and those areas extend wider than a vintage style Tele single coil bridge. In fact, even the area routed for the main frame of a humbucker extended wider than the vintage style bridgeplate.

If you're doing this in order to put a single coil into the Tele, the other problems you're likely to find are:

1) a typical HB rout is slightly too small to fit a Tele SC;

and

2) a typical HB rout with minimal rout enlargement will likely be too close to the neck pocket to accomodate correct placement (distance along the length of the strings) of a Tele SC.

yegbert
May 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
...so I filled in the unneeded part of the original HB rout, and using a Dremel carved out a rout that placed the Tele SC in the correct position.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/538/2005_CII_Squier_Standard_Telecaster_Special_bridge _side.JPG