$vboptions[bbtitle]

Grounding Problem?

cheezhead
April 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hey all,

Lately I've been having a weird buzzing problem and I can't narrow down the source. I have a highway 1 tele and I'm running it directly to a Vox AD30VT amp.

When I'm plugged in and I turn on the amp it starts to buzz a bit. But as soon as I touch the strings or any metal part on the guitar, the buzzing gets a lot louder. I've tried plugging the amp into different outlets, turning off lights, computer, tv, with no improvement. I think it might be a grounding problem in the guitar but I'm not sure?

Does anyone know what the source of this problem might be? Thanks for the help in advance!

sjtalon
April 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Pull the control plate off and check all your ground wires, especially the output jack wires.

A cheezehead from Colorado:shock:

Greetings for Yooperland

Guitar_Ninja
April 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, sounds like a ground wire is loose in your guitar.

cheezhead
April 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Well, I just pulled the control plate and pulled the input jack out and all the ground wires seem to be still soldered in place. Could it be anything else?

riverrat
April 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM
This is probably a long shot but take an aerosol can of Static Guard and spray a little Static Guard on a soft rag then wipe your pick guard with it. The problem maybe static build-up ? This is a quick trial and error thing which may or may not work. Good luck !

Glenn

sjtalon
April 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I forgot to mention to wiggle/bend both your cord jacks and see if anything happens. Also, do you have a different cord (and AMP) to try ?

It must be a wiring deal someplace as your guitar should get QUIETER when you touch any metal on it. I assume this just started ?

AND, WELCOME to the forum.

cheezhead
April 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I forgot to mention to wiggle/bend both your cord jacks and see if anything happens. Also, do you have a different cord (and AMP) to try ?

It must be a wiring deal someplace as your guitar should get QUIETER when you touch any metal on it. I assume this just started ?

AND, WELCOME to the forum.

Wow!
I wiggled the cord jack going into the amp and if I fennegle it just right, the buzzing stops! Who thought the answer could be so easy!

Does this mean that the input to my amp is loose and it just needs to be tightened?

mellecaster
April 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Does this mean that the input to my amp is loose and it just needs to be tightened?
Depends on the type of jack your Amp has (Metal or plastic)...What type of Amp ?

cheezhead
April 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Depends on the type of jack your Amp has (Metal or plastic)...What type of Amp ?

It's a Vox AD30VT...

sjtalon
April 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Glad you found the culpert, and I always wanted to know how to spell fennegle :razz:

sjtalon
April 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=625

Another find:
"The AD30VT .............Overall construction is of a very high standard with the exception of some minor design flaws, the most annoying of which would be the plastic input jack which has a tendency to work loose and drop into the amplifier chassis. "

pjam
April 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I had same thing on a strat and cured it by tightening the nuts on the output jack