$vboptions[bbtitle]

Fender Koa Telecaster - Special Edition

WolfBend
April 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Everybody!
Do you know the koa telecaster?
Whats the diference beteween the koa tele with the telecaster standart?

Only the pickups?

Thanks!

boris bubbanov
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hello, Wolf!

Special Edition = Korea.

This Koa will remind players most of the Lite Ash Telecaster, and maybe a little of the TC-90, because the guitars coming out of this contract plant in Korea all have the same flavor to their workmanship.

Mmmmm, Koa.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/Bubbanov/21MAR252009001.jpg

Neat!

brewwagon
April 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Vanishing koa
In the study, Goldstein and his colleagues focused on private grazing lands that once held large
stands of koa trees, a species of Acacia that can grow more than 100 feet tall and is found only in the Hawaiian Islands. Koa wood was used by early Hawaiians to build canoes, but upland
forestlands were restricted to spiritual leaders. "Koa still has important cultural significance for
native Hawaiians," Goldstein said. "Unfortunately, only 10 percent of the original forests are intact
today."
Koa forests began disappearing in the 18th century when Europeans introduced livestock and
logging to the islands. Studies have shown that the demise of koa has had a detrimental impact
on a number of ecological services, such as freshwater aquifers and biodiversity. "A large fraction
of native Hawaiian biota is associated with koa forests, including endangered birds, the one
native land mammal [the Hawaiian hoary bat], understory plants and other groups

GuloGulo
April 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM
actually its more similar to the lite ash telecaster then a standard.

It has 22 frets, stock seymour duncan pickups, Koa veneer over a basswood body also made in korea instead of mexico.

I've been thinking of getting one for awhile now I just think the price is a little high for a basswood body and just a veneer of wood. I want a solid koa guitar one day. Love the smell of that stuff. :smile:

WolfBend
April 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
But, is koa special edition a USA Fender or Mexican/Korea Fender?

boris bubbanov
April 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Neither.

It is made in Korea, not at a Fender plant. They build it under contract.

WolfBend
April 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Excuse me, I wanted to say if that korea fender (koa edition) is worse than the fender made usa...

nvilletele
January 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Resurrecting a slightly old thread, the only one I could find discussing this guitar . . . anyone ever played one of these? If so, what are your impressions . . . ?

I see from earlier posts that this is similar to the Lite Ash Tele, in terms of flavor of workmanship . . . I was not so impressed with the Lite Ash, though it had a nice neck. But I only ever tried one of them out, and sometimes quality varies.

justin.ray
May 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've got one of these guitars. I've not played on any other than the one I own, but I like the sound. The neck feels great and I like the tone with the brass saddles on the bridge. This guitar's low-end is on the weak side, probably due to the basswood body, but basswood is nice and light, I appreciate a light guitar. I'm not the biggest fan of the Seamor Duncan pickups, but the neck pup sounds nice enough. When I bought mine (used from a GC in Houston), I went into the store intending to buy the tele that I liked best in the store. This one was it. I've been thinking about putting in a set of Rio Grande dirty harry pickups. I think I'll be quite pleased with the guitar after that.