$vboptions[bbtitle]

The Great Song with a Speech Impediment Thread...

getbent
February 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Some famous songs use a speech impediment as part of their hook... or as a way to make the lyrics work.... lets find'em all..

I'll start--> "you ain't seen nothin' yet" bachman turner overdrive

Randy was goofing off in the studio and mocking his brother Tim who stuttered... the teasing was going on with the tape rolling and their producer LOVED the part with bbbbb bbbbb baby... and they kept it!

Do you know any songs with a 'speech impediment'?

Stubee
February 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Just one of my favorite songs of all time: "My Generation" by the Who, esp. Live at Leeds.

simonc
February 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
the stutter rap?

loopy reed
February 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I believe any Modest Mouse song will work here.

"Talkin' sthit about a pretty thun-thet, blanketed in opinionth that I'll probably regret thoon..."

RodeoTex
February 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Just one of my favorite songs of all time: "My Generation" by the Who, esp. Live at Leeds.

I remember reading somewhere that in that song they were panning the speech impediment caused by some drug then popular in England (ludes maybe?) which caused that stuttering talking.
It caused quite a stir at the time as to whether or not it should be banned.

RodeoTex
February 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
What the heck is Jim Croce saying? Sounds like: 'That's the way it easily goes, let's forget all that..."
Is he supposed to be saying 'usually' or does he mean 'easily'. Guess it could make sense either way with some qualification.

zoso1119
February 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
What the heck is Jim Croce saying? Sounds like: 'That's the way it easily goes, let's forget all that..."
Is he supposed to be saying 'usually' or does he mean 'easily'. Guess it could make sense either way with some qualification.

That's the way they say it goes

Canuckcaster
February 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Robin Williams as Elmer Fudd singing Bruce Springsteen's Fire.

charlie chitlin
February 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Willie Dixon's "I'm Nervous".
Killer!
It's on Youtube.

charlie chitlin
February 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Robin Williams as Elmer Fudd singing Bruce Springsteen's Fire.

That always bugged the you-know-what out of me when he sang fi-wa.
That's just plain not how Elmer would have said it.

carraway132
February 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Tom Waits has a cool song, "Jesus Gonna Be Here" that he sings in the voice of a drunk with a bit of a lisp. It always makes me smile.

Telewilly
February 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
6-pmpgrYQgs

ScatMan
February 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood

Peggy Sue and Rave On by Buddy Holly

6Y9gb3NUGkk

kovachian
February 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM
From Wikipedia on In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida_(song)):
A commonly related story says that the song's title was originally "In The Garden Of Eden" but at one point in the course of rehearsing and recording, singer Doug Ingle got intoxicated and slurred the words, creating the mondegreen that stuck as the title. However, the liner notes on 'the best of' CD compilation state that drummer Ron Bushy was listening to the track through headphones, and couldn't clearly distinguish what Doug Ingle answered when Ron asked him for the title of the song (which was originally "In-The-Garden-Of-Eden"). An alternate explanation, as given in the liner notes of the 1995 re-release of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album, is that Ingle was drunk and or high when he first told Bushy the title, and Bushy wrote it down. Bushy then showed Ingle what he had written, and the slurred title stuck. It has been covered many times, such as the version by Boney M.

Buckocaster51
February 19th, 2009, 01:16 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MUELu8o5KJg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MUELu8o5KJg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

loopy reed
February 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Tom Waits has a cool song, "Jesus Gonna Be Here" that he sings in the voice of a drunk with a bit of a lisp. It always makes me smile.

I like that one. Wonder if this is the song that made Isaac Brock decide his singing voice was good enough...

JPark
February 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM
TIMMEH! Livin' a lie!

oFFQpd9akSg

Gilamnstr
February 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM
"Wookin' Pa Nub" - Eddie Murphy (couldn't find a YouTube link for it, though.)

DAK
February 19th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Billy Stewart's incredible "Summertime." Oh, and a pair of 70s hits: always sounded to me like Marie Osmond was singing "Pape-uh Woses" and Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds were singing "Baby, Baby Fawin' In Love."

Frontier9
February 19th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Billy Paul - Me and Misses Jones

Great old-time soul ballad - made all the more endearing when he sang "Me - e - a - and Mithis, Mithis Jones..."

TELECASTERbstrd
February 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Nirvana... All of it?

Jackson Jackson
February 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Three that come to mind...

Anything by Third Eye Blind as Stephen Jenkins has Elmer Fudd Syndrome and cannot fully pronounce his Rs. You can here this VERY clearly in "Semi-charmed Life" in the line "I believe in the faith that GWows".

Anything by RATT as Steven Pearcy has a very pronounced lisp.

An of course, John Fogerty's put on accent. "Big wheel keep on toinin', proud mary keep on boinin'" Not really a speech impediment, but a great hook!

Axis29
February 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM
There was a hair metal band popular around Baltimore during my teen years called Kix, they did a bunch of songs...and the lead singer had a horrible lisp... they had a song called blow my fuse, which was pretty funny. They did a song called Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, where the singer would go into this long diatribe about taking a girl out tot the van after the show. She uses up all his drugs then pukes everywhere... during whihc he imitates Elmer Fudd... all the while talking in his lispy voice...

Here it is on Telecaster! I remember him always using a Les Paul... Go figure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sHNsDcoxfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sHNsDcoxfY

jkingma
February 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Bowie - Ch, Ch, Ch, Changes

Elton - B, B, B, Benny and the Jets

SimpleOne
February 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Was it: "Isn't that the way they say it goes, but let's forget all that" ?

Funny how the music can be so compelling that the lyrics are difficult to sort out, for me at least!

Bowie - Ch, Ch, Ch, Changes

Elton - B, B, B, Benny and the Jets

Ah!
So well known to us older ones and overlooked, cool.

Sigh...n n n nothing to add!

casterway
February 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Some famous songs use a speech impediment as part of their hook... or as a way to make the lyrics work.... lets find'em all..

I'll start--> "you ain't seen nothin' yet" bachman turner overdrive

Randy was goofing off in the studio and mocking his brother Tim who stuttered... the teasing was going on with the tape rolling and their producer LOVED the part with bbbbb bbbbb baby... and they kept it!

Do you know any songs with a 'speech impediment'?

It was actually his brother Gary that had the stutter.

My Sharona.

iBvayBXKJj4

Sollophonic
February 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Toyah;- Its a Mystery. From the early 1980s.

Toyah has a subtle lisp, and it is noticeable on this song in the chorus

Fret Wilkes
February 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Mark Knopfler doing "Song For Sonny Liston". He sounds a lot like Tom Brokaw. The letter R seems a challenge at times.

LOVE that tune and "LIVE" it was just incredible!

Big John
February 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Talkin' like a Lahndoner is an impediment in my book ! :grin:

fOiuDAPHxCE

Lost_N_Austin
February 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Miranda Lambert singing "More Like Her"

Here are the lyrics -
"You love her and she loves you with all she has
I guess I should’ve been more like that"

She sounds like she says -
"You love her and she loves you with all she has
I guess I should’ve been more Lie Kat"

I'm lucky I learned "Fuzzy Speak" thou because it doesn't bother me that much. Also, I'm not sure that being from East Texas qualifies as a true speech impediment.

L_N_A

Deacon Blue
February 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Am I the only one old enough to remember "Linda Lu" by Ray Sharp?

Jeff

hekawi
February 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
from The Runaways: "Hello Daddy, Hello Mom, I'm you're ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch Cherry Bomb!"

wylde4canes
February 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
"Wookin' Pa Nub" - Eddie Murphy (couldn't find a YouTube link for it, though.)

quite literally LOL!

beach bob
February 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
The lisp is intentional, but Hugh really sells this one...

jBwbJWF8_-Q

:lol:

Tim73
February 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
the stutter rap?

Is that really a "great song"? :wink:

Dave Hopping
February 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Am I the only one old enough to remember "Linda Lu" by Ray Sharp?

Jeff

Jeff-
There are a few of us still doing that tune.........Singing it and playing that muted reverse "What'd I Say" lick did take some time in the woodshed.

Fret Wilkes
February 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
quite literally LOL!

Ditto!

Who could forget...

"Uns, Tice, Fee Times A Madey"

hekawi
February 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Elvis: "Baby Let's Play House"

QI97stLQLdw

olewichita
February 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
sGuMI8ui4Xc

Brad Pittiful
February 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
cherry bomb - the runaways

smsuryan
February 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
how bout inagaddadavida or however you spell it? its not a speech impediment..the vocalist was wasted and was supposed to be singing "in the garden of eden" but it came out differently

HOBBSTER01
February 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
James Taylor Steam roller Blues-
I'm a D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Demolition derby mama a hefty hunk o steamin' junk.
At 2:39 in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3xQrSotc7k

Del Pickup
February 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Tweety Pie's "I tot I taw a puddy tat, a cweeping up on me" must be one of the classics in this discussion??

Brad Pittiful
February 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
sushi girl - the tubes

olewichita
February 20th, 2009, 12:22 AM
MX4wBtUQ8_o

garytelecastor
February 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
u88kf1J6Kv4

No music but every speech impediment there is gets a nod.

telepicker52
February 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
Steve Perry sings "Evewy, evewy day".

Fendrcaster
February 22nd, 2009, 02:54 AM
Black Slacks

rbPylX2HRsE

yanick
February 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

Enough said :)

byrdbrain
February 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
I know this is not strictly a speech impediment item,
but you need to hear Marie Osmond's interpretation
of dadaist Hugo Ball's Karawane (http://ubu.artmob.ca/sound/ball_hugo/Ball-Hugo_Karawane.mp3).

byrdbrain
February 22nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
This must surely count:
gYH7a3F0qvk

olewichita
February 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
well yeah, but how about the original... dig them strats...

VGBXHCGFOgw

zombywoof
February 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Tom Rapp and Pearls Before Swine - Rapp's lisp proved for some interesting vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPxpMVd0v4s

Filthy McNasty
February 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
The Rev. Horton Heat "Baby, I'm Drunk"
Nick Lowe "You Stabbed Me In The Front"

fauxhican
February 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Hendrix yet.

Excuse me while I kiss the sky
'scuse me while I kiss this guy

I guess It's not a real impediment, just a lack of annunciation.
What about Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-They say the heat of Rock and roll? Huey Lewis & the News

kelnet
February 24th, 2009, 02:48 AM
"Why don't we d-do it in the road?" - Beatles

"J-j-j-jive talkin'" - Bee Gees

"F-f-f-foolin'" - Def Lepard

Bluej58
February 24th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I don't know if they meant it as a hook, but Joe Strummer and Sonny Boy Williamson 1 are a couple of my favorite marble mouths, especially Sonny Boy on, Good morning little school girl