beez
February 24th, 2004, 06:02 PM
a sign of the apocalypse?

http://www.parkerguitars.com/Press/Merleendorsesparker.htm

scottmac
February 24th, 2004, 06:12 PM
a sign of the apocalype?

http://www.parkerguitars.com/Press/Merleendorsesparker.htm

I'm afraid this is the only possible explanation. Hold on, I think I hear the hoofbeats of the four hoursemen of the apocolypse.....

TeleGeir
February 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM
What is the man saying:
I knew about Parker but never really thought to try one. You know, after five decades of performing and recording, the last thing on my mind was finding a better guitar,” said Haggard. “But after a friend of mine bought a Parker, he started telling me that there is a better guitar. And so I played around with his and realized he was absolutely right.

Geir :)

MandyMarie
February 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Are you kidding me?!?!

Imagine the cover of "Big City" .... now imagine that with him holdin' a PARKER... it's just not right!

http://thatscountry.com/images/merle_haggard_cover.jpg

I'm all about finding a guitar that gets your motor runnin', but thinking of Merle playing licks he learned from Roy himself on a PARKER makes my eyes water! :shock:

0le FUZZY
February 24th, 2004, 06:27 PM
<li>"The things we do for love" (or of getus)
<li>When times are hard we sumtimes dew watt we muss tew stay alive.
<li>Back inna day when there waz no wood fer the fire they used kow pew pew.
<li>They dent say how much they paid him and never will in type but I'm sure they did and I'm sure he liked it and when yer as great as Merle has been over the years he knows we know and there will be a "Rest of the story" one day.
<li>Fer now we dew watt we kin but we behaver our bad seffs.
<li>The TELECASTER has got a lotta folks where they are goin and thats watt Leo and Fenner ment ta happin and "There but for fortune go you and I".

P.S. Years ago we hadda discussion as tew watt newer guitar will be collectable inna future and kin yew guess which one I picked? Ats rite!!!!!

http://personalweb.sunset.net/~barron/sig.gif
<font size=2>
Still here (http://personalweb.sunset.net/~barron/) </font size>

bri
February 24th, 2004, 06:32 PM
an Alabama concert. Their lead guy who I probably should know but don't, was playing a Parker and I remember at the time thinking what a bland characterless sound he was getting. So for now anyway, I'm not interested. 'Course you gotta remember that when Teles came out, they were avante guard and considered weird, untraditional, etc., etc.
Brian

Ben Jammin'
February 24th, 2004, 06:43 PM
would dance with the one that brung him. :roll:

timgreene
February 24th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Why could'nt fender give, merle an endorsement deal?

And does'nt the Parker script logo, in the bottom right corner, look, like it is a rip off of the fender logo?

Brad
February 24th, 2004, 06:57 PM
his "highly customized Parker Fly to his very own specs" has a vintage 3 barrel bridge with a nocaster vintage style pickup, double bound synthetic swamp ash body, maple neck with 6 in-line Kluson tuners.

Well, the prices on the Tuff Dog teles just went even more through the roof.

I'm sure Parker's are fine guitars and many players make great music with them. I've played several and to be honest, my $50 pawn shop Dempsey is set up better. Now maybe I'm jumping the gun and with a good set up I'd change my mind, but for the money they charge for those things you would think they would play like butter direct from the factory.

Oh Merle.....say it ain't so....what's next....Redd with a Washburn Dime Bag or Bill Kirchen with a Flying V???!! Or worse yet...0le Fuzzy with an Ibanez JEM!

Skydog
February 24th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Haggard gigs every night (on his way to Buck Owens Crystal Palace right now) ..maybe Parker pays for some of the diesel fuel.

ashtray
February 24th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Who's a playin' a what now? Man, I'm hangin' with the wrong crowd... :P

Mike Fleming
February 24th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Somebody said here recently that it might have something to do with his back problems...

Mike

cft3
February 24th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Come check out my new website, the Parker Discussion Page Reissue or "PDPRI" :lol:

C'mon, now, let's try not to panic. Jimmy Bryant played Vox 12-strings...

txjonc
February 24th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I'll believe it when I see him play one live.

Wherever he's playing tonight, I'd be surprised if there's a Parker in the guitar rack.

Ben Jammin'
February 24th, 2004, 10:19 PM
If you don't have a definative answer before then, I'll let you know what he's playin' onstage for sure.

cowboytwang
February 24th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Merle is going to be in Vegas this weekend, so I guess I'll have to make to town and see what he's pickin' on.

Why could'nt fender give, merle an endorsement deal?

Fender does make a Merle Haggard model Tele.(at least they did at one time)

olewichita
February 24th, 2004, 10:57 PM
nothing wrong with a flying V... they're cool rocking guitars just ask albert king or lonnie mack...

now merle picking on a parker... ouch... i wonder if he would have made roy nichols pick one too!

merle on a flying V however... yowser... would be kinda cool again!

anyway, i'd mostly like to see merle pick a nice double or triple O style martin... tj

tele1
February 24th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I wonder what Redd thinks of Parkers??????????

stantheman
February 24th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Heck, Merle's been playing an Ovation A/E for about the
last 15 years or so. AND he's one of those Guys who
keeps a deal...he'll be playing them...but I'm positive that
he's not obligated to play 100% of the time...Parker's
a pretty decent place to work they're pretty ethical too.
Funny thought: ME playin' The Fly, teehee what a sight,
would like like a stick that blew offa one of the trees in
a big wind...sheesh. Merle's dues are paid in full, I don't
give a hoot what he plays, as long as he makes the gig.

Skydog
February 24th, 2004, 11:32 PM
My friend saw him last night, said Merle (and his lead player) were playin' some sort of neck-thru-body guitars.

Billy Lee
February 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Was the Tuff Dog Tele a tribute Tele, or did her endorse it? Is Fender still offering it? Is his deal with Fender done?

teleinMI
February 24th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I see a living legend...

http://mail.chartermi.net/~cdamon/guitar/merle.bmp

Skydog
February 25th, 2004, 01:07 AM
http://www.guitarplayer.com/images/0204/b2_supreme.jpg

cowboytwang
February 25th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Why would you ever give up playin' somethin' that looks like this???
http://images.misupply.com/products/original/Fender/64921.jpg

Joel Terry
February 25th, 2004, 10:38 AM
between playing a Fender without a paid/perked endorsement deal or a Parker with a paid/perked endorsement deal, it'd be a no-brainer...I cut my teeth on Fenders, and I'll probably be buried with a Fender.

It's not that I don't like Parkers; to the contrary, I like them a lot. The vibrato system itself is a magnificent piece of engineering and art--one of the best non-locking trems ever made.

But a Parker isn't a Fender. So sue me for being brand loyal. :P

Joel

Teletwang
February 25th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Was all this the same reaction Buddy Holly got when
he first started playing that new whacky lookin' Fender?

andrew
February 25th, 2004, 01:22 PM
For me a guitar is about 3 things;

1) Tone - must have a GREAT tone

2) Feel - it must FEEL great in my hands, and around my neck

3) Looks - it has to LOOK good to me

It takes a combonation of these 3 to REALLY make a great guitar. Some things you give-and-take on so that you can have one feature better then the others(unless it's a blackgaurd!! :wink: ).

The Parker KILLS number 3 so bad that it just makes me never want to play one, not to mention hear one.

A great guitar is like a great women. Always has the right thing to say, feels like imported silk, and, well, you get the rest of the story! :lol:

Brad
February 25th, 2004, 01:28 PM
nothing wrong with a flying V... they're cool rocking guitars just ask albert king or lonnie mack...

now merle picking on a parker... ouch... i wonder if he would have made roy nichols pick one too!

merle on a flying V however... yowser... would be kinda cool again!

anyway, i'd mostly like to see merle pick a nice double or triple O style martin... tj

You are correct...nothing wrong with V's. Believe me...I love em. It's just the shock value of seeing Merle with something other than a tele. Like Willie playing a Dean ML or Waylon with a Firebird. Both great guitars, just not what you associate with the artist.

benderking
February 25th, 2004, 02:02 PM
have we reached the nexus of the universe???!!!! i am astounded by merle playing a parker! WHERES REDD!!!!!!!!!!!

twang' on,
jerry

Tylercaster
February 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
My buddy saw Merle last month, and nuttin but Teles..... :roll:

Redd Volkaert
February 25th, 2004, 05:01 PM
I can't say for sure, but I can't see him playin' one of them thangs for very long, no matter what they paid him to hold it on the cover. :oops:

I do know he LOVES Tele's and old ones big time! :D

I was supposed to fill in this week with him in Calif, kind of subbing for Norm, the steel player (he was in the hospital a few days, nothing bad) but he's better already and has started back up with the tour. So they don't need me, and I can't see for myself how much better, sturdier, & lighter a "fly" is compared to Merles own feather weight signature Tele! :wink: 'IF' he is playin' it!

I'm sure they are great, well made guitars, but to a "telehog" they're just not one. :P

Redd

benderking
February 25th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Redd,
I was under the impression that you were still touring with merle some..... guess i was wrong? If'n you aint pickin with him... who's playing guitar?

twang' on,
jerry

Redd Volkaert
February 26th, 2004, 03:37 AM
He's been with Merle about a year now I guess. He was Lefty Frizzells GP in54' so he & Merle are swaping the duties.
Redd

MandyMarie
February 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I thought you were talking about Norm Hamlett - is he doing well Redd? If he's not...I'm going to feel horrible for bringing it up...

Redd Volkaert
February 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Norman Hamlet was in the hospital, but is fine & back playing this tour. Merle called me and asked if I'd fill in on the steel 'chair' ( BUTT with a Tele instead, you don't want to hear my steel playin') just for this tour they're doing now.
:oops:
So both Norm's are fine & on the road + Merle's crowd doesn't have to listen to me try & play cheazy steel licks on my Tele, :twisted: oh well, maybe some other time.

Redd :wink:

harlycarly
February 26th, 2004, 08:00 PM
....... I gotta feeling that even a "cheazy steel lick" outta you on your tele would suit most of us just fine!

spyder
February 26th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Ho...I reckon living legends can use any guitar they want...even a fly thing....personally, I don't get the connection with Haggard and the telecaster....other than it was the electric heard on many of his recordings...especially the earlier stuff...and his live shows featured Nichols and his telecaster pickin'....I saw Haggard twice when I was a youngster....once with the Buck Owens show...a year later as a solo artist gigging on the strength of his just released single "swingin' doors"...I had a taped copy of that show at one time...don't know what happened to it....anyway, Haggard used an acoustic both times...his live recordings featured him using an acoustic as well...for all I know Haggard could be a big telecaster enthusiast...probably is infact...but chances are he earned his signature model on the strength of his backing telecaster players both live and in the studio...IMO, the stylistic steel playing of Norm Hamlet deserves a mention....his contribution to the Haggard sound is equally important....can you imagine *swingin' doors" without his intro??...its so catchy many guitarists attempt to play it in addition to the guitar work when covering the tune..... I've yet to see the words *Zum* steel ( might have been a ZB, I forget) on this forum when Haggard is discussed.....anyway, I don't care what guitar the man uses these days....just so theres a telecaster behind him playing the big licks...later, spyder

sg3000
February 27th, 2004, 01:09 AM
I took some lessons from Merle's old guitarist Clint Strong a couple of years ago. Clint has been using
Parkers almost exclusively for years.
Maybe Clint said something to Merle????

Brad
February 27th, 2004, 02:18 PM
I took some lessons from Merle's old guitarist Clint Strong a couple of years ago. Clint has been using
Parkers almost exclusively for years.
Maybe Clint said something to Merle????

I love Clint Strong's playing. Awesome touch, tone and note choice. Monster player IMO. When I first played Friend in California and Chill Factor for my wife, ( before we were married ) she flipped out over Clint's playing.....and she knew nothing
( at that point! Ha-ha!! ) about guitars.

How was it taking lessons from him?

John Beland
February 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Hey..He's Merle Haggard. As far as Im concerned he can play a Stella Guitar and it's still gonna be Merle. When I see Hag I go to hear the voice. But it is a bit strange to see him no longer affiliated with Fender. Dumb move on their part.
I remember when Buck started adding a Farfisa Organ to his band instead of a steel. God...I was beside myself.
Times change...Life goes on.
Beland
www.johnbeland.com

txjonc
February 27th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Clint is playing Parkers now and I know he played on this record, maybe that is where Merle got it from. I know Clint likes them because there light, he played that LP for the longest time. I love Merle so I'm going to listen to him no matter what he's playing but I'm hoping it's a Tele straped on. Redd, nothing at all wrong with Mr. Stevens but I'd rather be listening to you playing lead. I'm pretty sure we all know what you'd be pickin'.

blue floral
February 27th, 2004, 04:21 PM
the man is a treasure. He can play a Daisy Rock for all I care, so long as he sings and plays.

Actually, Redd, I'd like to see you hit the stage with a Steinberger :lol: Your work on Spaghetti Western Swing is, as always, brilliant sir!!!!

cowboytwang
February 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM
IMO, the stylistic steel playing of Norm Hamlet deserves a mention....his contribution to the Haggard sound is equally important....can you imagine *swingin' doors" without his intro??...its so catchy many guitarists attempt to play it in addition to the guitar work when covering the tune..... I've yet to see the words *Zum* steel ( might have been a ZB, I forget) on this forum when Haggard is discussed....

Actually the original Capital recording of "Swingin' Doors" was Ralph Mooney and James Burton trading licks back and forth on a Fender 1000 pedal steel and a Fender Telecaster!

spyder
February 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Ho..more than likely the telecaster influence came from Buck Owens...Haggard was with the Owens entourage...was one of the original Buckaroos as well...Owens had been the biggest thing in country music for several years prior to Haggard hittin' the big time....no doubt Haggard was familar with telecasters...maybe he fiqured if they worked for Owens..the model would work for him too...in any case the telecaster did work extremely well in the capable hands his sound was entrusted to....both on stage and the recording studio....guitars aside, Haggards success and eventual legend status can be pinpointed to 3 things...alcoholism, the misunderstood deliquent/ criminal...patriotism....his uncanny writing ability and smooth voice hit home in a big way with all these subjects....throw in an occasional love song with a bigger than life hook line....and you have a living legend that still wows folks yet today...later, spyder

John Beland
February 27th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think Merle's "living legend" status can be attributed to the fact that there is virtually nobody in country music today who can equal his integrity and talent. I agree that his private battles have added to his mystique but even without his demons Merle Haggard would still be looked upon as being one of the greatest influences in the history of country music.
By the way, Merle was never a Buckaroo. He played with Buck for a very brief stint but was never a full time Buckaroo.
One of my greatest memories is recodring with Merle at his home jusat a few years ago. He was warm, gracious and very much full of life and energy. When he started singing at the mic it was all I could do to NOT jump up and cheer. He still has it...a youthful spirit, a gentle soul and a no nonsense approach to life.
He also plays some great guitar himself..tele or no tele.
JB
www.johnbeland.com

Tenbender
February 27th, 2004, 06:57 PM
He's The Hag, he can do whatever he wants... nuf said.

txjonc
February 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Hey JB, wasn't it Merle who came up with The Buckaroos as a name for Buck while he was playing bass in his band? I know he wasn't a full time member but I thought he played bass for a short time.

John Beland
February 28th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Not only did I have the pleasure of recording with Buck himself, but I played in a band with Tom Brumley for years (Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band) and also played alot with bassist Doyle Holly. Now those guys WERE Buckaroos!!! All of 'em were great guys!!!!!
I never heard Tom ever mention Merle with regard to his old Buckaroo stories...and I certainly heard alot of stories from Tom (LOL).
JB
www.johnbeland.com

Scotland
February 28th, 2004, 04:41 AM
There seems to be more used Parkers for sale than new ones in the U.K. at least. The new "fad" type guitars, cars, anything, always have that effect.

Johnny Isaacs
February 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Yes Merle did come up with the name The Buckaroos. Tom probably doesn't have any Merle stories 'cause Jay McDonald was playing steel for Buck at the time. Don Rich was in the band, but at this point, he was just playing fiddle.

Look at ol' Merle here on the right lookin' scared!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/122891/BuckwMerle.jpg

Johnny Isaacs

John Beland
February 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Well I'll be Johnny. I stand corrected. What a great picture. I knew they all played together but not in the Buckaroo formation. Tom was a charactor..had a million stories. It got to the point that when ever he would start up one we would all leave the room moaning...lol. This used to really aggravate ol Tom.
He's the greatst. So were all those guys...Thanks for the great picture and the correction, Johnny.
JB

beez
February 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Look at ol' Merle here on the right lookin' scared!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/122891/BuckwMerle.jpg

Johnny Isaacs

Yep.....He's also reaching in his pocket. Reckon he was about to shank somebody?? :lol:

John Beland
February 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Looks like Nudie had a two for one sale on black leather western jackets. Merle and his pal on the left must have picked up a couple...lol.

cowboytwang
February 28th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Looks like Nudie had a two for one sale on black leather western jackets. Merle and his pal on the left must have picked up a couple...lol.

In the book that came with the Buck Owens box set theres a picture of the whole band wearing the same black/cowhide suits.
Buck says that when they got the suits and put them on Merle said "What do you think we are, A bunch of f***ing buckaroos?" and the name stuck.

MandyMarie
February 29th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Speaking of Buck Owens and Roy Nichols...I've been listening to The Farmer Boys all dang day today...now THAT'S my cup of tea! :D

Johnny Isaacs
February 29th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Tell me more about this Farmer Boys CD! I've heard about this before, but I don't know which one to get!

Johnny Isaacs

spyder
February 29th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Ho...I've seen that picture before....looks like Haggard is a Buckaroo to me...I never recorded with Owens...but I did play a show with him and Holly....didn't talk to Buck much...but I did spend some time with Holly...he talked mostly about the live releases...how the shows were edited and stuff....maybe the best thing about living legends is they're still living....its fun for those of us that aren't entirely in the know to speculate...but there ain't nothin' like gettin' the real lowdown from the legends and the folks close to them.....later, spyder

MandyMarie
February 29th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Johnny,

A bit of Roy Nichols, a bit of Buck Owens, a bit of Cliffie Stone, Louvin Brother like harmony...does it get better? :wink: :D

Bear Family put out one a while back that is about everything they ever recorded (I think the Bear Family CD is from '55 - '58) it's just a MUST. Those harmonies will make your eyes water and the lyrics will make ya crack up - but I hope tooooo many people don't get hip on the Farmer Boys...we cover about half the songs on that CD and we're not trying to mislead but I think folks usually assume we wrote 'em! Hahaha BR5-49 have done a few of their songs as well (Humdinger and Yearning, Burning Heart (which was written by Buck...or should I say Alvis!) come to mind). If you grab that one, let me know what you think.

tellypicker
February 29th, 2004, 02:26 PM
...Yearning Burnin Heart!!! I plum forgot about that one! Used to do that one back in the old days!!! Wooo Hoooo...........love it.

jerome
February 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Here in Branson...he was playing a bad dog tele...he had an older gentleman (Lefty Frizzel's guitar player...ashamed I forgot his name...he lives here in Branson) who was playing a Les Paul...no Flies in sight...

Ben Jammin'
March 22nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
and he was definately playin' that Bad Dawg Tele.

And so was his backup. Twin Bad Dawgs.

Just like Bob Wills' twin fiddles.

Guess he's still dancin' with the one that brung him.

:D

JohnnyAtomic
March 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
where was merle in arkansas last night? he was supposed to play in little rock but canceled.

Hey Mandy,
What's the name of that Farmer Brother CD. i've got hum dinger on a compilation album and love it. it sounds right up my alley i've been listening to this CD lately i'd never heard of by a guy named Elton Britt. he was from arkansas and was recorded mainly in the 40's and 50's. it's kinda a cowboy yodel-er meets western swing.

MandyMarie
March 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Johnny,

It's the only Farmer Boys disc on Bear Family (my favorite company in the world - I feel horrible because just about every third post of mine on any board has to do with something Bear Family has put out... :oops: ). Farmer Boys stuff in general is incredibly hard to find if you're a record collectin' geek so I'd recommend the Bear Family disc. It's just about everything they recorded hiss and all, just the way it should be!

What Elton Britt recordings should I hunt for?

Ben Jammin'
March 22nd, 2004, 07:19 PM
in Melbourne, Arkansas. He sold out the place and had everybody singin' the old stuff.

JohnnyAtomic
March 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
durn sorry i missed it. i saw on his web site he'll be in heber springs in sept.

Mandy, i'm bidding on one of those farmer boys CD's on the Bay. the elton brit i have is "the rca years" on BMG records. it's pretty good. lotsa good tunes nobody has heard before. i thought i was the only one "mining" old tunes from bands most people have never heard of and covering them. but not mentioning i didn't write 'em. hee hee. the electric donkey is my favorite song like that to cover. we had a whole set of "animal" songs. electric donkey, run chicken run, possum swamp (one i actually did write), etc.

johnny atomic

MandyMarie
March 23rd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Hey if you're not coming out and saying you wrote 'em but you aren't sayin' you didn't either...it's not lyin' is it? I think TONS of bands do that so we shouldn't feel guilty! :wink: :D

Johnny, you guys gotta work in a few songs off of this album - LOL, Walter gave me the heads up on this one when he was on the road with Jason and it cracks me up!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rmhodge/images/covers/farmer_sm.gif

That's Jason Ringenberg's "A Day At The Farm With Farmer Jason"

I'll look for that Brit recording, thanks so much for the heads up!