$vboptions[bbtitle]

Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer - Anyone try it out yet? Opinions?

Jenix
October 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
I know the old ones are famous but what of the new ones? I know these are relatively new. I'm going to have some money from my birthday coming up and this (or another compressor), a wah pedal, or a loop pedal are all in the running. But the purpose of this thread is the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. Any word on how it is and its best uses?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dan-Armstrong-Orange-Squeezer-Compressor-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150598

rpjones
October 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
never used one, but Analogman posts this on his web site:

"There is also a "reissue" of the 1970s Dan Armstrong OS available made by by WD products. The circuit is similar to the original but suffers from a few problems like a different chip which does not sound good and the use of several other different components (cheap diode, FETs, and CAPs). The original used a 4558 chip while the reissue uses a higher tech chip which uses different pins and just does not sound right. They also suffer from poor construction and quality due to being assembled cheaply in a third world country. I talked to Dan Armstrong in England about the WD and he said they can not even be made to work right, he has nothing to do with them."

I built a clone of the Orange Squeezer on a GGG board and like it very much, it adds a nice boost and just a little bit of squeeze and grit, sounds great on a tele. You might want to consider an Analogman Juicer or a Pedal Doctor Tangerine Squeeze. Not much more than the reissue.

mojoming
October 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I use one (a clone) first in my pedal chain. I've found the OC to be the best of all the stomp comps I've used over the years. They have a fast attack and fast release with more than enough boost to send an amp into overdrive if you want to push it to do that. I don't know if I would mess with something that looked that cheap. Like rpjones said for not much more money you could get a Baja Tech Da Squeezer (I'm using) or an Analogman Juicer and have a really well made pedal.

guit30
October 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I have heard that these are junk, made by Grafton Electronics in USA
Jim

Guitar_Ninja
October 27th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I built one awhile ago, and it's about the only stompbox compressor I can stand. Be forewarned that it's a very subtle compression effect. A lot of people who have built them actually think there's something wrong with their units, since they can't seem to hear it compressing, just boosting the signal. But it's working. Both subtle and smooth. :cool:

mojoming
October 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I built one awhile ago, and it's about the only stompbox compressor I can stand. Be forewarned that it's a very subtle compression effect. A lot of people who have built them actually think there's something wrong with their units, since they can't seem to hear it compressing, just boosting the signal. But it's working. Both subtle and smooth. :cool:

You can make it really squash your signal usually via a trimpot inside the unit. I agree you can make it be very subtle and smooth. I think it is its best feature. It's one of my favorites too and if you've never tried one and you're a compressor user you have to check one out. Make sure you adjust it to your likings before you write it off. You'll never pickup another compressor they are that good.

sugarinthegourd
October 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I just built an OSQ (Orange Squeezer clone) from General Guitar Gadgets. I was amazed and pleased when not only did it work on the first try (my first attempt at building a pedal) but it sounds fantastic -- in fact it sounds better and quieter imho than the AnalogMan Juicer which is also a Dan Armstrong clone.

guit30
October 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Orange Squeezers are great especially for country music, My favorite is the Hartman Compressor
Jim
PS- has a 73 Raytheon 4558 opamp instead of the jrc4558 and it uses a silicone signal diode instead of germanium, so many variations.
Here's from his site

http://www.theohartman.com/comp_faq.htm

Bopcat
October 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I used the one from Analog Man. I liked the effect, but it was just too noisy for me. I e-mailed Mike for advice, but he said they are noisier than some other compressors.,

J. Hayes
October 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM
somewhere in my garage that I'm trying to find. I'd forgotten all about having it until this thread came up. I don't have the guitar anymore but I originally bought the OS to slap right on the front of my 335 which really put the juice to that guitar. I also used it on an old ShoBud pedal steel for awhile. I always wished they'd had the adjustments outside the box instead of having to take them apart to adjust anything.........JH in Va.

wnorcott
November 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I had an original one in the 70's jeez I seem to have lent, lost or given away all of them I had the Orange Squeezer, Purple Peaker, Yellow Humper and Red Ranger.

Anyway I concur the GGG boards are fine. I build all my own pedals anyway. I might build an Orange Squeezer for old times' sake but I already have a AMZ Compressor (SSM-2165P) which is better anyway. I have an old DOD Milk Box which is a mighty fine compressor if you like to tweak settings it has 4 knobs on it.

guit30
November 4th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I have a 20 year old DOD that is the best compressor I have ever used for country music period!!!!
Jim

Big Lug
November 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Orange Squeezers are great especially for country music, My favorite is the Hartman Compressor...

I just got one the other day. Me likes :grin:

Finally, a comp that I can work with instead of fighting with. It is subtle, immediate in attack, and can send an amp into overdrive territory if that suits your fancy.