$vboptions[bbtitle]

control plate compatibility?

tubescent
October 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
doin a partsacaster and wondered if american control plates match up with the holes on a highway one body? highway one body is essentially a mex body right? anyone had problems with the screws not lining up?

kylef
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 AM
cant see there being a problem mate.

its MIJ and MIA that dont line up...common thing with japanese fenders.

Doug Ferguson
October 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Nah, shouldn't be a problem. I've put new CP's on Squires, MIM's, and MIA's with no trouble at all.

PJ
October 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The import Teles, Fender and Squier, use metric hole spacing for mounting and are different from one another. When changing a Squier body to a Mex Std, I had to use the US control plate.

Jack Wells
October 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
There are a few varialbles involved here. Not all pickguards are the same .......... not all control plates are the same. When Telecasters are assembled, first the pickguard is installed.......... then the control plate is fit into the pickguard notch and screws installed. This is the procedure that should be followed when assembling a partscaster. If control plate screw holes need to be filled and new ones drilled, that's not a big deal.

yegbert
October 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Mighty Mite makes control plates 1 5/16" wide by 6 5/16" long, and this spec control plate is what I've seen used on Cort-built Squier Teles and Tele style guitars. The control plates on the [few] MIA and MIM Fender Teles I've seen are 1/16" narrower and shorter. A different width/length control plate requires a different radius in the half-circle cutout in the pickguard.

If control plate screw holes need to be filled and new ones drilled, that's not a big deal.

Not a big deal for me either.

mellecaster
October 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Deleted

mellecaster
October 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM
doin a partsacaster and wondered if american control plates match up with the holes on a highway one body? highway one body is essentially a mex body right? anyone had problems with the screws not lining up?

Actually it's a USA Body...which btw takes the same plate & pickguard as a Mexican Fender Body.

schoolie
October 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Does anybody recall which plates have 3/8" holes for the pots? The plate from guitarfetish is drilled for Metric pots and my CTS pots don't fit. Funny thing is that the drill bit to enlarge the pot holes is more expensive than a new control plate:lol:

IN particular, does the stewmac control plat fit USA pots and switches?

Thanks!

Jack Wells
October 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've never ordered a StewMac control plate but I'm thinking solid shaft pots may not fit since StewMac only sells split shaft pots which require a 5/16 in. hole.

I suggest buying control plates from The Stratosphere aka reliablefender. Get one taken from a MIM or MIA Telecaster. If you buy multiple items from them you can get a break on the shipping.

schoolie
October 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Does anybody recall which plates have 3/8" holes for the pots? The plate from guitarfetish is drilled for Metric pots and my CTS pots don't fit. Funny thing is that the drill bit to enlarge the pot holes is more expensive than a new control plate:lol:

IN particular, does the stewmac control plat fit USA pots and switches?

Thanks!

Good idea. I'll check Stratosphere.

Thanks, Dr Wells!