$vboptions[bbtitle]

Blues Jr. Texas Red

CQLove
October 3rd, 2008, 01:47 AM
I broke down and bought the Blues Jr. Texas Red. I had a hard time choosing between the Tweed NOS but that Celestion Vintage 30 was too tempting. Plus I am from Texas so it just makes sense.

Gr8tfulEd
October 3rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
Congrats! I've been looking at that one too. Just something about it...
Good score.

Theusla
October 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I am jealous. :mrgreen: I want one of those very bad. Is it a true red or have a little orange tint to it? I was not sure from the pictures. I need it to go with my Tele.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/Theusla/Guitars/100_0001.jpg

CQLove
October 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
It would match your Tele perfectly. It is a fiesta red and man does this amp sound awesome. That vintage 30 growls. Another cool fact is that only 800 of these babies were made.

Tim73
October 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Pictures please

Theusla
October 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/Theusla/Guitars/Texasred.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/Theusla/Guitars/Texasred1.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/Theusla/Guitars/Texasred2.jpg

A LTD Edition with a Feisty "Texas Red" Look!
The Blues Junior™ Texas Red all-tube combo amp brings you the tone that has made FENDER® amps famous- all wrapped in vibrant, "Texas Red" vinyl with a wheat grille cloth. Five tubes (three 12AX7s in the preamplifier stage with a pair of EL84 handling power amp duties) provide perfect tones with the world-famous Fender reverb completing the signal path. For tonal versatility, the Blues Junior Texas Red "Fat" switch thickens up the sound for big chords and aggressive leads. This limited edition Blues Junior Texas Red is all about tone and vibe!

Fender Blues Junior Texas Red at a Glance:

A fan favorite

Tubes, electronics, and more!

A fan favorite
The Fender Blues Junior Texas Red, a warm-toned favorite in a super-cool LTD edition finish, takes Fender's 15-watt tube preamp/power amp platform and pushes it through a 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker with a ton of vintage vibe. And just to make this an even cooler amp, Fender is limiting production on the Fender Blues Junior Texas Red to just 800!

Tubes, electronics, and more!
That classic Fender sound comes courtesy of a pair of EL-84 Groove Tube output tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. Push them hard and you get great overdrive; back off a bit and the Blues Junior Texas Red cleans up for classic Fender "sparkle and spank." Add the renowned Fender reverb, flexible controls, and FAT circuit for golden tones, and you're in business!

Fender Blues Junior Texas Red Features:

All-tube

15 watts into 8 ohms

12" Fender Celestion Vintage 30 speaker

1 Channel

"Fat" Switch,

Reverb

Chrome Panel

Vintage Pointer Knobs

Reverb

"Texas Red" vinyl with wheat grill cloth and brown handle

Tweed series logo and "Texas Red" chili pepper badge

Tube complement: 3 x 12AX7, 2 x EL84

Solid-state Rectifier

Connector for optional external footswitch

Tim73
October 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
That looks great!

Mutato
October 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
I wonder if the "custom tube placement" adds to the vintage sound! ; - )

Enjoy your amp! Looks cool. I have the original 90's era Tweed covered one.

The O.K.
October 4th, 2008, 12:40 AM
That amp looks like ****, but I bet it sounds great.

JimiBryant
October 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
those handles are famous for snapping in half in cold weather,
otherwise I think it's pretty a sharp-looking amp.

Texas-sized congrats on yer acquisition!

whiskeytown
October 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Well does that Celestion Vintage 30 got some cool twangin sounds, I was always considering it as hard rock speaker, and Celestion G12 Century or G12-T75 more suitable for cool clean tele sounds.

JimiBryant
October 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
a V30 might be overkill for a Blues Junior although
I know folks like 'em and it's all good, really, in
my book. if one could fit it in there, the Celestion
Alnico Blue would be ideal.

the discontinued Celestion Silver Series 12" is
also an excellent speaker for a 15 watt amp, IMO,
as long as you're not married to Alnico magnets
and nothing but.

I like cheap, somewhat inefficient speakers in
small combo amps for cranking purposes and
the Silver 12" were about twenty or thirty bucks a
pop brand new although those may have been the
close-out prices? very much on par with your P12R
except of course it being Celestion not Jensen plus
with a ceramic magnet.

I also like a V30 paired with a 75th Anniversary
Special and with at least a 40 or 50 watt amp to
drive 'em.

speakers are very important to one's tone/sound
(well.. duh!) but as with pickups it's all subjective
'cuz we all have our own ideal tone although there
may well be many similar qualities which many of
us are chasing.

I really like the red tolex and wheat grille with the
black control plate.. Fender has used the BJr chassis
in a buncha amps (the Two-Tone, that one that looked
like a big ol' plastic rock, etc) but the Blues Junior is
a modern classic no matter how one looks at it.

tombm3
October 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hey JB,

I think the faceplate is still chrome. I think that the picture was taken to minimize the glare and made it appear dark. Someone that has one of these new configurations will have to ultimately confirm.

carlos
October 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
those handles are famous for snapping in half in cold weather,

Really? :shock: How cold for snapping point?

CQLove
October 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
The vintage 30 tone is not very twangy but I did not buy it for twang. This amp produces sounds of Keith Richards to my ears. It nails Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Little T & A. The kind of twang it can produce can be heard on the opening lick(which continuously plays) in Ventilator Blues. Honky tonk Woman is also another song this amp perfects. It is classic rock tone that this amp spits out. (in my opinion) The Cowboy Song is another from Thin Lizzy that this little amp produces. Particularly the solos in that song sound awesome. Beast of burden also. the list is too long!! I bought this amp because 80% of the songs I play are Classic Rock. I use a MIM 98-99 Strat and a 2007 Gibson SG special Cherry faded

famouspogs
October 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I also purchased one of these and they're really quite nice, really great clean tone from a speaker that shouldn't allow that. As mentioned it gets a snarly boxy rolling stones sound. Really cool amp. I've wondered if its better than the tweed nos version though, anyone care to elaborate for me so I may feel safe with my purchase or run back to the store and get my money back.

Billm
October 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM
The only difference is the speaker. If you want a different tone, get the C12N that's in the NOS. Or better yet, one of the popular Eminence speakers, such as the Texas Heat, Cannabis Rex or Red White and Blues.

A couple of my customers use V30s in their Blues Juniors and it is definitely good for classic rock. Some get good blues tones out of it, too. The V30 benefits from the usual BJr mods, just like any other speaker.

JimiBryant
October 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Really? :shock: How cold for snapping point?

probably not cold enough in Texas. :lol:

I don't know, really, and they may have changed the formula on the new ones
so they're not as brittle in freezing weather as the old ones were and are.

otaypanky
January 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Zzounds has a factory re-seal available for $519
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0213205601

I have the tweed version and I love it. I ran a V30 in it for a while and it sounded a lot like the C12N stock speaker, very good ~

Big Mike Blues
January 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Very cool. Amps always sound better in red. :razz:

geddins
February 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm bumping this one....I just brought one of these home today...NOS in a local store....GREAT amp!

mattdraffen87
May 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I also have this amp. Ive had mine for about 2years now and i love it. I am still trying to find "that right tone." I was wondering if anybody could tell me some good settings i could use?

tombm3
May 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
BJ Settings (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6roy2/zotemansbluesjuniorsettingsforthefdp/)

Boubou
May 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/Theusla/Guitars/Texasred1.jpg
Very nice, just hope the tube on yours are straight!

Jimmyspaz
May 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM
When I bought my Texas Red about a year ago they had Blues Jr.s in black, tweed and red in the store. I tried them all with my 3-pickup SG, the red sounded MUCH better to me. My wife was with me and agreed, the red was the most expensive of the three. It's only gotten better with playing, the speaker has broken in nicely. Of course, it may not be the amp for you, all ears are different. I would recommend , if you can, do what I did, try all the variations of Blues Jr. before buying.

twangking
May 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
BJ Settings (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6roy2/zotemansbluesjuniorsettingsforthefdp/)

I would never put a reverb on 10 for any amp. :shock:

eno55
May 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
buyer beware, Muscians friend has theses texas reds but they do not have the vintage 30 in them,I know because i just bought one,and it says special edition on the back also, so i called fender and they said that they made a run for MF without the vintage 30's of course you can put one in at your expence if you want there not cheap.
I just wanted to you guys know, I dont know the range of serial numbers of the frist 800 special edition texas reds, one needs to know this for collection value if any. F.Y.I
eno

hooch1
July 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
buyer beware, Muscians friend has theses texas reds but they do not have the vintage 30 in them,I know because i just bought one,and it says special edition on the back also, so i called fender and they said that they made a run for MF without the vintage 30's of course you can put one in at your expence if you want there not cheap.
I just wanted to you guys know, I dont know the range of serial numbers of the frist 800 special edition texas reds, one needs to know this for collection value if any. F.Y.I
eno

Thanks for that. I was just about to buy the Texas Red for the celestion. Still may get it for the color.

Billm
July 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
The V30 doesn't sound that good in a Blues Junior anyway, unless you like a strongly mids-focused sound. It has less bass than the stock Special Design speaker.

JohnK24
July 29th, 2010, 06:25 AM
The V30 doesn't sound that good in a Blues Junior anyway, unless you like a strongly mids-focused sound. It has less bass than the stock Special Design speaker.

So I guess you don't like classic rock, as you previously posted the V30 sounds good in that application ? The V30 is a fine speaker in the BJ - stock, it defintely helps in the higher volume use of the amp - stays tight. I never understood the need for HUGE bass in the BJ. The V30 cuts thru and you hear "guitar" - unless everyone is looking at this 15w amp for bass players ?

Billm
July 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM
If classic rock was all I played, I'd be very happy with a Vintage 30. But I can roll back the bass control and crank the mids when I want to cut through. Heck, you can make almost any speaker sound barky and nasal if you try.

The V30 comes up rather short if you want bright country tones (this is a Tele forum, after all), the 15 watt imitation of a Two Rock, or warm, resonant bass for fingerstyle off the neck pickup. I freely admit that I like to have bottom end available in an amp, even if I don't use it all the time.

JohnK24
July 29th, 2010, 10:12 AM
The V30 comes up rather short if you want bright country tones (this is a Tele forum, after all), the 15 watt imitation of a Two Rock, or warm, resonant bass for fingerstyle off the neck pickup. I freely admit that I like to have bottom end available in an amp, even if I don't use it all the time.

Teles are NOT strictly rooted in bright country tones imho...and plenty of Nashville's guys use Celestion equipted speakers in their boutique Vox hybrids. "15 watt imitation of a Two Rock" ...a Blues Junior ?!...you can't be serious here...if you are, well...more power to you.:roll:

psycom
October 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM
eno

WHAT!? I checked with Fender when I got mine and they said they have no way of knowing which one mine was of the 800? Seems odd doesn't it? wonder what else they don't know? need to write again and find out the deal.

there's an easy way to get rid of the hum these have. Mine was loud. (http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/bjrhum.htm) ALL gone now and I did what the link says but used HVAC Silver Foil tape instead. Laid a strip across the front bottom (shielding controls) cause I could. ended ALL the hum is GONE!.

The "twin Stack mod" makes a big difference! My jumper is held in with a bread tie until I decide to solder it. :) Made a huge difference in the sound. So did JJ's 83's and TAD 7025's and an AX7-C in the pre. Stock tubes were horrible sounding plus the amp hummed like crazy.

VERY happy with it. Wish I could drop my Red Fang in there but you can pull off pretty much anything with this. Amp wise my Laney Lionheart L20H runs circles around i though. But then its just a head and cost a lot more than this combo.

Want a REAL amp? Bob Rissi is building a few more. Get yourself a RISSON MARVELL while you can. Last amp you'll ever need.

Yhea those tubes are pretty cockeyed! You need to re-tension ALL the sockets or they WILL fall out.

jammers5
November 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I broke down and bought the Blues Jr. Texas Red. I had a hard time choosing between the Tweed NOS but that Celestion Vintage 30 was too tempting. Plus I am from Texas so it just makes sense.

I just bought the Limited Edition Blues Junior 3 off proguitarshop.com I have an 09 BJ but was interested in doing a speaker upgrade. When I saw this one, it thought it was a no-brainer!

http://proguitarshop.com/store/amplifiers-fender-amplifiers-c-4_5/fender-blues-jr-limited-p-2386

Can't wait to get it and compare em!

J5

bensophoto
December 28th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I never mind being late to a party -- I had a well worn Hot Rod Deluxe that was too much for my apartment/gigging needs so I did a straight swap of it for this Texas Red Junior 2 years back -- best choice I could've made -- I love this amp. I run a term, phase, delay and sparkle drive pedal and there's not a sound I want that I can't find. And with drums and 120 people in a bar I'm still rarely pushing past 4 on the master.