$vboptions[bbtitle]

Indonesian Squier Experiences

Charlie Fleming
September 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Greetings Forum Readers,

I would like to survey folks that have or have had Squier-branded instruments that were made by Cort in the Indonesian factory. These axes would have serial numbers that began with the letters IC. The only one I've ever had is a Precision Bass Special, that while having nothing really very exciting about it, tunes up, plays great and has been very dependable. I am curious to know how folks feel their IC instruments compare to ones made in Korea or Japan in terms of fit, finish, playability, quality of sound, et cetera. Perhaps if the responses built enough of a thread, we will be able to ferret out the IC models that are considered the best value and most desirable to own.

Thanks for reading, and responding,

Charlie

pchilson
September 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I have a 2001 Affinity Strat that fits the criteria. Fit and finish is absolutely fine. Only thing is the pickups aren't great sounding. Not a complaint just a fact.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk163/pchilson/White%20Affinity%20Strat/headstock_back.jpg

electrablue
September 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I had a standard strat I got in 2004 and eventually gave to my son. I thought the pups sounded great. Fit and finish was good except for a crappy nut (too high at the first fret so intonation was hard to maintain). The width of the neck at the nut was too narrow for me but that's just a function of the specs I guess.

bluesjr315
September 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
i own a china made affanity and i say the same thing fit and finish are great but the pick ups suck

JimInMO
September 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have an 07 "Crafted In Indonesia" standard Strat. Love it. Took some tweaking to get the neck and intonation right on. Big help was replacing the 09 strings with 11's. The alnico pups are great. The guys I jam with have a Mexican made 60's type reissue and and a an American VG. Mine plays and sounds better than the Mex. The only thing I like better about the VG is some of the sounds from that Roland bridge pup. Other wise it doesn't play as nice as mine. At least not $1000. as nice.

satorotas47
September 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have bought and sold many many Squiers over the last 28 years, and I have to say that in my experience the Cort-made Squiers were, and are, the WORST.

You only have to compare a Korean Squier from the 90's with a Samick-made Squier from the 90's to see a massive difference.

The Cort ones had crappy tuners (with no securing nut) and plywood bodies.

The Samick ones were actually superb guitars and had fast smooth necks with skunk stripe, good tuners with securing nuts, and solid bodies.

Massive difference.

Up to date the best Squiers have been made by (in order of excellence)...

1. Fuji Genn Gakki

2. Samick

3. Yako

This does not of course include Mexican or U.S made Squiers.

Tdot
September 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I have an IC05... Squire 51. Overall it sounds, feels and looks great. I bought it as a budget guitar for project experiments, but still haven't changed a thing. It's a notch above other Squires I've tried, maybe equal to an MIM Standard for quality.

beep.click
September 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
My VM Jazz Bass is GREAT. Quality all the way -- looks, playability. $280 new.

My mini Strat is very good, and fun to play, but not life-changing. $100 new.

My Indonesian Strat had REALLY rough fret ends, so I filed them down. Pickups are very tinny-sounding, but that works well with certain effects. $150 new.

All these instruments have IC serial numbers, all bought in the last 3-4 years.

How do these compare to instruments I have from other countries? The bass holds its own with anything from anywhere. The other 2 are inexpensive instruments that are 100% functional, and they're right on par with other inexpensive, functional instruments.

mcearlock
September 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
indo p bass special
indo custom 2 (converted to custom 1 specs with duncan jb/jazz and cts pots/orange drop caps)
I love them both!!

way better than chinese aff tele i had!!(seemed like a toy compared to custom)

yegbert
September 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I have never seen an Indonesian Cort Squier Tele that came from the factory with a plywood body, or that didn't have the nuts securing the tuner to the headstock.

My experience with the Indonesian Cort products is exclusively with Squier Teles. I have 7 of those, the oldest is a 1998 (first year production) and the newest is a 2006.

I have a Korean Cort guitar that is styled like a Tele other than its headstock shape. I think it is a 1993 year production model.

Some of my experience with Indonesian Cort Squier Teles...

Much of the hardware appears to be the same as Mighty Mite parts. Both Cort and Mighty Mite are Westheimer Corporation (http://www.westheimercorp.com/) brands. But Mighty Mite seems to be very ineffective in terms of communicating with consumers, so their online catalog (http://mightymite.com/) is outdated and getting a response to a phone call or forum (http://mightymite.axegrinder.com/cgi-bin/blah/Blah.pl) inquiry is like pulling hen's teeth. Note their use of the word blah in the folder name and page name for the forum in that link, I'm not making this up. The point is, you have to dig hard for Squier/Cort/Mighty Mite information from several places and connect the dots yourself to figure out some things.

I think the Mighty Mite hardware is reasonably well designed and produced, and the quality control is acceptable. The tuners work fine for me.

The quality on the nuts seems to vary a bit. The frets aren't perfect, but they are way better than cheap guitars from the '60s and '70s. In spite of these shortcomings, the only one I have that needed work to be playable was one with fret wear requiring a L&C, and the nut on that same one had deeply worn nut grooves and tight string spacing so I had a new nut made with a better string spacing.

Current production pickups on the Standard Tele are Mighty Mite AlNiCos and are fine IMHO except in an application where a different eq is needed. Folks who want boutique pickups will surely dismiss them though.

Current production (since ~2004 apparently) Standard Tele pickguards have screw holes in the same location as MIA and MIM Teles, however the Mighty Mite control plate has been slightly wider and longer since the start of their production in 1998. You need to consider these characteristics when replacing pickguards.

The pickup selector switches are rectangular circuit board based items with a somewhat flexible switch lever. The flexible lever makes them feel flimsy. The location of the solder points very close to the circuit board makes them prone to shorting out with me after several soldering efforts to swap pickups. The pots are often dime-sized instead of quarter sized and 500K instead of 250K even for single coil guitars, and are split shaft. The dime sized ones turn very freely, I like that about them. But I generally prefer 250K pots so I usually swap out the switch and pots. I do find it educational to not combine my swapping of the pots from 500K to 250K, with swapping out a pickup. Better to make those mods separately and in that order, so I don't mistakenly blame the pickups for an undesirable eq or range of tonal control that is caused by the pots.

Beyond the Indonesia Cort Teles...

The Korean Cort I have also seems to have Mighty Mite hardware and Mighty Mite AlNiCo pickups, although both its pickups have a lower DC resistance than the ones from the Indonesian Cort Squier Teles, and they give it a brighter tonal character and the output level seems a bit lower. I put my amp volume on 6 with that guitar to get about the same volume as my others on 5.

musicalmartin
September 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
my 51 was fine ,no issues or problems ,stayed in tune OK,didnt bend in the middle or leak notes .Wish I had kept it

Sollophonic
September 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
My 06 Squier Standard Tele.

A great guitar, but I have done a few mods. It has a lovely neck, the tuners are reliable, and the neck pickup is one of the nicest Ive heard. I ahve done the following mods though.

1) Widened the nut spacing using a bone nut.
2) Wired the pickups so the middle position is in series
3) Opened up the chrome cover on the neck pickup to boost the tone.
4) Put .011 strings on.

Things I don't like. Very little, except the edges of the body are a bit sharp and can dig into your forearm. Sometimes I look at it and think the red torty pickguard is a bit kitsch! Maybe a black or a white pearl would look better

Also I got it used for about half of what they sell for new, so to me this guitar is a dream. Mind you IMO, its worth its new price too.

RatherBeFishing
September 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I have one of these. An affinity in a rather uncommon dark green color. I purchased it back in High School for $50 with amp, case, and cord. It has surprisingly good fit and finish. It does not stay in tune though.

The pickups, what someone else called "tinny", I would call very bright. Many Tele players seem to want brightness. It is the brightest strat I have ever played. Supposedly, these have alder bodies too which is cool. I am planning to sell mine because it has an extremely skinny neck on it.

KCKC
September 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I have an IC Squier 51 blonde, all stock, it's been great! Straight neck, stays in tune, for my needs the stock pups were fine.

The gent from dolphin street has a video on his site featuring his 51, its range of tone and playability. Good take http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-7.php

kc

e-merlin
September 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I bought this one last week. It's a Standard. Nice solid body. HSH routed. Ceramic mag pickups. Sparkle finish. No problems with the frets or the tuners, which are decent quality no-name sealed tuners.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm17/e-merlin/DSC04230.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm17/e-merlin/DSC04233.jpg

I'm putting the neck on what is fast becoming my number 1 Tele.

boris bubbanov
September 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
The Cort ones had tuners (with no securing nut) and plywood bodies.

I respectfully disagree.

The tuners on the Cortek Squiers are just as usable as the "Schallers" on the American series/standard or the Pings on the MIM standard; scores of guys use them as they are; I put Gotoh "Klusons" on all those above named guitars anyway so it doesn't matter. The 10.5 mm tuner bore is a headache but most other Squiers use this standard, anyway.

Plywood bodies? I've disassembled approximately 40 of these Cortek Surubaya Squiers and I've never seen plywood; I've seen the posts of scores of guys at the Squier 51 modders forum, and nobody has ever suggested any of those bodies are plywood. They are made of basswood, agathis or alder, depending on model.

I think the Surubaya Cortek Squiers are exemplary guitars.

e-merlin
September 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I think the Surubaya Cortek Squiers are exemplary guitars.

Amen, boris. I don't know why Cort gets such a bum rap. Between Cort and Samick, you've got something like half the world's production of guitars, give or take a bit. Not sure about the exact figures, but they make guitars for everybody and neither would be in business if they couldn't build a good one.

Rocks
September 14th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Out of curiosity, what guitars are made by Cort and Samick other than the Squires? I've heard they make guitars for quite a few different brand names, I just never knew which ones.

elelpe
September 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Hi, Boris. Just li'l correction. It's Surabaya, not Surubaya. 2nd largest city in Indonesia. To be exact, Cort Indonesia located in industrial district named Mojokerto. Few brand guitars that built in there: Ibanez, Epiphone, Cort, Washburn, ESP LTD, Hammer, Peavey, Condor, Parker, Morgan Total Music, Tradition, Grand Mystery and Daisy Rock. I heard soon they will build PRS SE line too. 24% electric guitars in world market come from this plant (50% come from China).

satorotas47
September 14th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Everone wants to big up there own guitars.

Only makes sense.

But I am telling you that Korean Cort guitars of the 90's had plywood bodies and crappy tuners. Also rough frets.

I think perhaps some of you are thinking things like modern-day Standard Squiers are made by Cort, when they are not.

Yako make most of these in Taiwan.

yegbert
September 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Only makes sense.

But I am telling you that Korean Cort guitars of the 90's had plywood bodies and crappy tuners. Also rough frets.

I think perhaps some of you are thinking things like modern-day Standard Squiers are made by Cort, when they are not.

I'm just sharing what I know objectively, not trying to make my own guitars seem better or make any one else's guitars seem inferior.

I suggest you go back and the read the OP's question, he specifically asked about Indonesian Cort Squiers, not Korean Corts. edited to add: and the title of thread is "Indonesian Squier Experiences"

The evidence I find indicates the current production Squier Standard Tele and Squier Standard Strat are made by Cort in Indonesia. Where do you get your information that leads you to believe they are made by Yako in Taiwan?

bowlfreshener
September 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I don't really care about all the other Squier series that are no longer being made, or haven't been made in recent years, because all I know is that my 6 Indonesian made Squiers between 2005-2007 are just as good, if not better, than the MIM Fenders I have tried out in the last couple years. I don't care what the self-proclaimed know it alls and so-called experts may say about these guitars on the internet and various forums, because I know they are full of crap when I play my Squiers. In fact, go ahead and trash talk Squiers, so maybe the market value will go down, and I can pick up a few more cheaply ;)

orni
September 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I went to the shop to buy me an amp, a Bassman 59. I tried it with an Indonesian Tele Custom with the Duncan designed P90s.
The amp is still in the shop, but the Tele is at my home. It sounds great, plays great and is very well finished.
Only downpoint, there was still some wood chips under the neck joint. Removed it and readjusted the string height.
I am very happy with this guitar.

bowlfreshener
September 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Only makes sense.

I don't care about Korean Squiers. The 6 Squier Standard Series Teles I own (made between 2005-2007) have IC serial numbers and say made in Indonesia on them.

So is a Squier made in 2005-2007 not a modern day Standard?

If Yako makes them in Taiwan, then why do my IC SN# Squiers say made in Indonesia? Please include any links, photos, or other info to back up your claim that "modern day Standard Squiers are not made by Cort", because unless there is evidence to back it up, I won't believe anything you say...

boris bubbanov
September 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hi, Boris. Just li'l correction. It's Surabaya, not Surubaya. 2nd largest city in Indonesia. To be exact, Cort Indonesia located in industrial district named Mojokerto. Few brand guitars that built in there: Ibanez, Epiphone, Cort, Washburn, ESP LTD, Hammer, Peavey, Condor, Parker, Morgan Total Music, Tradition, Grand Mystery and Daisy Rock. I heard soon they will build PRS SE line too. 24% electric guitars in world market come from this plant (50% come from China).

Thanks for the correction; I had it right for at one time but I've made that error many times in recent months, I'm afraid.

One of the things that has puzzled me so much, is just how little we (at this board) know about the men and women building these guitars we love. Please tell us more about Mojokerto, about Surabaya, and about, well, everything you can tell us about these fine people.

Much obliged.

peskypesky
September 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I don't really care about all the other Squier series that are no longer being made, or haven't been made in recent years, because all I know is that my 6 Indonesian made Squiers between 2005-2007 are just as good, if not better, than the MIM Fenders I have tried out in the last couple years. I don't care what the self-proclaimed know it alls and so-called experts may say about these guitars on the internet and various forums, because I know they are full of crap when I play my Squiers. In fact, go ahead and trash talk Squiers, so maybe the market value will go down, and I can pick up a few more cheaply ;)

Yes! lol

I have several Chinese-made Squiers that I love, but will soon be receiving an Indonesian Affinity Strat I bought off fleabay. I will definitely be posting my opinion about the guitar after I've put on new strings and done a set-up.

BoogerRooger
September 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I've got a Tele Custom II (IC060806665) and a CV, and the Custom II, while not finished as finely as the CV, plays and sounds great. In some ways I prefer the Custom II, particularly the neck, which is what everyone loves about the CV. It needed a good set-up, but then they are about 75% the price of a CV.

Guitarist magazine had the Custom II as one of their '50 Guitars to Play Before You Die' (www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/50-guitars-to-play-before-you-die-part-2-199810/4) and in Guitar and Bass it was the 'Best Bargain' 200-250 guitar, described as 'a minor classic'.

Tele-Champ
September 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=beep.click;1420691]My VM Jazz Bass is GREAT. Quality all the way -- looks, playability. $280 new.

Agreed on the Indonesian VM 70's Jazz Bass - I've got one also, and it's outstanding. Got it for $190 used. These have a great rep anyway, but I can certainly vouch for mine. Really fantastic Duncan designed pups, great tone. Incredible neck. I play it thru an Indonesian-made SWR LA15 bass amp ($300) which is also a great amp, tonally speaking (albeit not as loud as I would like it to be for 100 watts w/ a 15..). Still, fine for what I need it for.

My buddy who is in a popular local band and who has a USA Fender Precision, Ric 4001 and Breedlove acoustic bass couldn't believe the quality of this Squier 70's VM Jazz Bass. At first when I told him how great it was, he was skeptical. Not any more. After playing mine, he went right out to GC and got one of his own as a back-up for his Precision on stage.

I've also got an Indonesian Epiphone SG EBO short scale bass ($200) - Same great quality on this one.

I have no complaints about the Indonesian stuff.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/telechamp/SquierJazzBassPB-1.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/telechamp/EpiEB-OSGbassPB.jpg

Dave Hopping
September 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Here's my SQ51.Stock except for having the fret ends smoothed out.They were BAD.Other than that it was well made; everything fits nicely,sounds,and (now) plays OK.But the materials are clearly cheap.

I'll beg the mods' indulgence here because I'm about to rant a little.As always,JMHO-YMMV..........OK,as an American manufacturer,Fender made its reputation on quality and innovation of design,material,execution,and value for the price.I don't think it's very good brand stewardship for Fender to put its imprimatur on bargain-basement instruments like this one and some of the other low-end models.For what they are,they're OK,but for what they are meant to look like,they aren't.
Worse yet for us,the higher-end instruments coming from that part of the world are nothing short of phenomenal.We Americans are getting our a** kicked so badly that half of us applaud that failure,and are justifiably reluctant to lay out $$ for MIA when CIC,CIJ,MIM,et cetera will give you a much more substantial bang for the buck.Please understand that I don't fault anyone for getting the best value for their money;I have 3 Chinese-made-American-branded guitars besides the SQ51,and they're all great.I just wish that manufacturing in the USA weren't quite so MIA.

metulmykul
September 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I have 2 IC Squiers: Telecustom and Telecustom II.

In my opinion, both are fine guitars and were well finished save for some slightly sharp frets.

I don't think it was up to the Standard of my Japanese Silver Series, but that was also 10 years older and well worn when i got it.

I have no complaints with the IC Squiers.

BuddyLee
September 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I was looking at one of those Hello Kitty Indo Squires the other day. They neck was better than the Squire I learned on... and costs less.

For a total of $300-$350. including the price of the guitar itself you could probably throw on some good tuners and a good pup... and maybe a setup to boot.

If I was not looking for a Jaguar, I would be buying a Hello Kitty.

MatthewK
September 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I saw an Indonesian Squier Tele Custom on the weekend - curious because I recently bought an 83 Japan Squier Tele Custom. Found it hard to believe they were the same brand, the Japan one is equal to or better than many of the Fenders I saw there, but the MII looked like an unfinished wood-work project from high school. Every part looked cheap to me. I will admit I didn't play it but frankly I didn't much want to.

jamblehamblebum
April 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM
i picked up a indo strat off e bay 75 quid and its wonderful . stock pick ups sound great . plays like a dream . and the finish is really nice . i love it

Abu Twangy
April 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM
I have found the Cort Indonesia products to be good quality for the price. I've owned a Squier Standard Precision 5 and a Squier Standard Strat made in Indonesia. Both were well finished and very playable.

The hardware is so-so and the electronics are low bucks but what do you expect at that price point?

el cheapo
April 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
My 06 Squier Standard Tele.

A great guitar

Agree!

1) Widened the nut spacing using a bone nut.

I'm doing this with mine as well.

3) Opened up the chrome cover on the neck pickup to boost the tone.

The Fezz Parka mod will do the same thing, and you don't have to futz with the pickup.

4) Put .011 strings on.

Agree!

Sometimes I look at it and think the red torty pickguard is a bit kitsch! Maybe a black or a white pearl would look better

I thought the tort guard was too dark as well. A buddy suggested white, and I decided to go with 3-ply parchment. This made a huge difference! The guitar looks so good I think I should be wearing a tie when I play it!

Sorry how this post looks! I tried the multi-quote for the first time and blew it.

tlimbert65
April 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I have a Daphne Blue Squier Deluxe Strat with the IC serial number. I've had it for a couple months now. It required some setup and adjustments out of the box (I'd be surprised if any guitar didn't), and there are certainly things about it that might appeal to some and not others (neck profile, pickups, bridge). The quality, it seems to me, is top-notch and I love the sound and feel. The only nit I can pick is that the volume and tone pots feel a bit cheap. They're working fine, however.

Muddslide
April 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM
My most recent Tele/gear purchase is a 2000 Indonesian Cort Squier Standard Tele. Great neck, alnicos sound fine, not plywood (although that doesn't matter to me, having had a few quite nice plywood guitars.)

I got a great deal on it and had been considering a used MIM or a CV, but the Standard won out becuae it had (IMO) the nicest neck of all three (CV necks too thin for me) and I liked the pickups better than the stock MIM pups.

I tend to prefer maple fingerboards on Teles, but the rosewood on my Squier Standard is great.

Jeff R
April 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM
'04 and '08 tele standards, here. I've replaced the pups and electronics in the older one, and the '08 is about to get a set of pro-tubes. Don't like the factory ceramics and other than the radius on the body, nice guitars.

plymman
April 1st, 2012, 03:12 PM
A lot of the Vintage Modified guitars are Indonesian and they are great guitars for the money, up there with the Classic Vibe line. I have the VM jaguar bass which I love and the twin humbucker custom tele which was also very decent.

KenH
April 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM
My Indonesian Vintage Modified Tele Special with the Jazzmaster neck is the best <$300 I've spent. I'm not changing a thing. Duncan Designed PU's are fabulous for the price. My first maple neck and I love it. First time for 9-1/2" radius too.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pRQgVoCKYb-z33QDB8Dd05tNMnA26MGHWOoJvr1ofY5e1fFo5LH_P45BbkNks VeqiF77Gv6adzZVEtPwvCfWeww/2012%20VM%20Tele%20Spec%2019.jpg?psid=1

shutterbiker
April 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
I have a 2009 IC Standard Tele and I feel like it is a great value for the money spent. I have changed out the pickups and electronics, but I notice that people change pickups on much more expensive guitars.

Steve

BoogerRooger
April 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
My Indonesian Vintage Modified Tele Special with the Jazzmaster neck is the best <$300 I've spent. I'm not changing a thing. Duncan Designed PU's are fabulous for the price. My first maple neck and I love it. First time for 9-1/2" radius too.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pRQgVoCKYb-z33QDB8Dd05tNMnA26MGHWOoJvr1ofY5e1fFo5LH_P45BbkNks VeqiF77Gv6adzZVEtPwvCfWeww/2012%20VM%20Tele%20Spec%2019.jpg?psid=1

Lovely guitar!

My VMC II cost 160, and while I could be picky about the fit and finish, after a set-up it plays and sounds fantastic. No complaints at all, for the money.

trev333
April 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
this is my second fav now.. :grin:.. sounds great...

I had some spare P90's I HAD to put in something..:roll:
and this '07 Indo X Squier had spare real estate under the PG....:twisted:... a good mod platform.. there's no neck PU rout under that big black guard:!:..

this neck is a beauty to play...nice stick of wood, big head and all...:wink:..

I put a bone nut in it, 10's and a 5 way switch.... and the PG.. I never needed to adjust the bridge action/intonation, the set up was great (ex band guitar)...the satin finish has nearly worn off the back of the neck under the open chord area I play it so much these days....

I never used to play this one much stock... it probably sounded OK with the bridge HB... my US tele's/strats ruled the amps then... since I put the P90's in it I play it every day... it now has a sound I was always looking for and feels great to play..:cool:

when I scored it used off ebay a few years ago I didn't even know they made Squires in Indonesia..:confused:. so, I didn't know what to expect when it arrived and I saw the serials.....

the fit and finish/wood is excellent..

ifallalot
April 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM

I've wanted one of these since they came out. The VM Jazzmaster also speaks to me as well.

I like my Indo Squier Tele, I've changed the PG and put a GFS Fatbody 7k in the bridge and now it sounds great. The previous owner had already done a treble bleed mod so the neck pickup sounds good too

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/orange01z28/2012-03-23_21-36-04_216.jpg

pondcaster
April 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Like my MII Std VB Tele but did switch out the pups (stock > VNs) and a bunch of other mods (electrosocket/switchcraft, f plate, sperzels, selector switch, pickguard, amp knobs, etc.)... nice guitar that I got for $150 and put another $200 into. Truth is, with my other Teles and the fact that it's my heaviest guitar (9lbs+), this one doesn't get played very often.

el cheapo
April 2nd, 2012, 09:08 AM
I like my Indo Squier Tele, I've changed the PG and put a GFS Fatbody 7k in the bridge and now it sounds great. The previous owner had already done a treble bleed mod so the neck pickup sounds good too

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/orange01z28/2012-03-23_21-36-04_216.jpg

Nice! That pickguard looks a lot better on your Squier than it ever did on mine!

Topbanana
April 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Just got a VM Tele Sp. in white, all it took was a PU adjustment to get right. Did the Indonesian factory tool up with the same equipment that the Chinese CV factory uses? The fit and finish is almost identical.

ifallalot
April 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Nice! That pickguard looks a lot better on your Squier than it ever did on mine!

thanks again man! good working with you!

el cheapo
April 2nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Here's mine. Right now it's at the tech, getting a new bone nut with wider string spacing.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/1115/medium/Picture_113_crop_2.jpg

Sollophonic
April 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Heres my 4 Squiers, all Indonesian made

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/SquierCollection3.jpg

All play and sound pretty good to me.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/SquierCollection1.jpg

jamblehamblebum
April 24th, 2012, 07:44 PM

top shopping there mate quality teleage

charlie chitlin
April 24th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I recently got one from a friend for a set-up.
I was going to post a pic asking what the heck it is.
Indonesian Tele...black with black headstock.
Nice chunky neck and, after a set-up, it plays like a freakin' DREAM.
I'm TOTALLY shocked.
What a lovely player!!

J Lacey
April 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Bought my son a Indonesian made strat off the wall at a local fender dealer a couple of years ago. Didn't wanna spend too much at first until I saw that he would be interested enough to stick with guitar. To be honest it was a piece of crap. I'm sorry, it just was.............We were lucky last fall to sell it for $100 to one of his buddies from school. Total junk in my opinion. I know there's a market for 'em and some guys can love 'em, but this one was absolutely useless as it came from the factory. And even if it had been a decent guitar, the adjustment allen screws in the bridge saddles were so long that they dug into your hand. You couldn't even rest your hand anywhere near the bridge. Why would they do something that stupid? Wasn't no amount of pro set-up gonna make anything more than a boat paddle out of that one...........sorry, maybe what I had isn't what you guys are talking about?
http://www.merrylandsmusic.com.au/images/Used-Stuff/SANY0043%20(Small).JPG

Jeffro

banjohabit
April 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM
i have owned 5 squiers. i still own the three that were made in indonesia, because they are very nice guitars for the money and great platforms to mod from. the two that came from china i got rid of. both were beautiful to look at, and sounded near equal to the MII ones, but were difficult to intonate and neither would hold tune very well at all.

i've no dog in this hunt, i enjoy all my various instruments from all around the world, but to enjoy playing them they have to hold tune. this is the most important part of set-up to me, and in the last 35 yrs. i have become pretty good at figuring out what a guitar needs in order to be played comfortably AND hold tune. and if i can't do it, i am not one to hesitate to seek professional help. none of that helped those chinese squiers so i gave them away, the same as i would have done no matter where they were made. can't see what difference that makes anyway: either the guitar will sound and function the way you want it to, or it won't. if it don't, pass it on to the next guy !

mcknigs
May 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM
I went to the shop to buy me an amp, a Bassman 59. I tried it with an Indonesian Tele Custom with the Duncan designed P90s.
The amp is still in the shop, but the Tele is at my home. It sounds great, plays great and is very well finished.
Only downpoint, there was still some wood chips under the neck joint. Removed it and readjusted the string height.
I am very happy with this guitar.

There's an owners' forum for that guitar here on TDPRI. :)

mcknigs
May 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM
I guess I own two.

One is a Strat from 2005 or so that had been submerged in a flooded music store and thrown out. The fretboard had delaminated from the neck so I replaced it with a Mighty Mite. I was not happy with the pickups so I replaced them with overwound $17/set pups from the GFS clearance section. It plays and sounds fine.

The other is a Tele Custom II. I've modifed it greatly, replacing the neck with one I had lying around and liked better, replaced the pickups (not necessary in retrospect) rewired to have a single volume and repainted.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/169444-squier-tele-custom-ii-p90s-cool-kids-club-7.html#post3749739

Over the weekend I did a setup on a friend's Hello Kitty Indonesian Affinity Strat. The neck felt much better to me than either of the necks that were originally on my own Indonesian Squiers.

-Scott

stephenyi
May 1st, 2012, 11:27 AM
I also disagree with this statement.

I just wanted to add that the Korean Cort factory made some of the highest quality Squier guitars in the late 90s called the Pro Tone Series. I have a Pro Tone vintage blonde strat and can confirm that the body is solid ash and not plywood. Here's some additional information:

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/theprotonepage.htm

I have bought and sold many many Squiers over the last 28 years, and I have to say that in my experience the Cort-made Squiers were, and are, the WORST.

You only have to compare a Korean Squier from the 90's with a Samick-made Squier from the 90's to see a massive difference.

The Samick ones were actually superb guitars and had fast smooth necks with skunk stripe, good tuners with securing nuts, and solid bodies.

Massive difference.

1. Fuji Genn Gakki

2. Samick

3. Yako

waparker4
May 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM
I bought a squier ( cort i believe) pj bass recently and after a good cleanup it will be legit. Pickups have a really nice sound even through crappy pots that are falling apart. I'll replace the bridge jazz pup with dimarzio ultra jazz to alleviate the hum. New pots and strings and it will be rocking.

notdave
May 1st, 2012, 12:07 PM
I've got an 2007 Indonesian Cort Squier Affinity Strat (phew!).

Pros:

It's got a nice, but thin, neck. The frets are fine and the ends are well dressed. The nut was alright out of the box. It stays in tune (but I don't use the whammy bar). Plays OK .

It was inexpensive.

Cons:

Electrics are a bit low rent, the pickups aren't fantastic and the saddles are probably chrome plated monkey metal.

But it was inexpensive.

All of the cons are easily fixable, if I could be bothered. Did I mention it was inexpensive?

I've been in the cavity with a Dremel. The body's wood (dunno what wood though), not plywood. BTW, it was inexpensive. :smile:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/wobblyron/DSCF1111-1.jpg

Skub
May 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
I've been in the cavity with a Dremel.

I had you down as taller.

notdave
May 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
I had you down as taller.

Arf!

teleowner0196
May 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM
Are Indonesian Squiers better than Chinise?

Arbiter
May 1st, 2012, 02:11 PM
Proud owner of 3 Indo VM Jazz Basses - two fretless, one fretted. Only mods were that one of the fretlesses got EMGs, because I like 'em.

Can't get a sheet of typing paper between the pocket and the neck. Best bolt-on builds I've seen from a factory.

Cons: finish is good but color is a problem.
Electronics: I like heavier-duty pots, jacks, etc, than what they use
Hardware: fine. Would maybe upgrade if I had unlimited money.

Best bang for the buck I've seen in a long time.

bajabuster
June 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Massive difference.

1. Fuji Genn Gakki

2. Samick

3. Yako

we are now in the 21st century. the first Japanese guitar that came into the store I worked at was an absolute joke, and a bad one. things change, don't live in the past, embrace the present~
I own an Indonesian JA90 Tele, and i must simply say, it's the nicest of all my Fenders. what makes you an official on where the best guitars are made?

Boondocks
June 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Greetings Forum Readers,

I would like to survey folks that have or have had Squier-branded instruments that were made by Cort in the Indonesian factory. These axes would have serial numbers that began with the letters IC. The only one I've ever had is a Precision Bass Special, that while having nothing really very exciting about it, tunes up, plays great and has been very dependable. I am curious to know how folks feel their IC instruments compare to ones made in Korea or Japan in terms of fit, finish, playability, quality of sound, et cetera. Perhaps if the responses built enough of a thread, we will be able to ferret out the IC models that are considered the best value and most desirable to own.

Thanks for reading, and responding,

Charlie

Hi, it's kinda funny - because just last week I sold my 2005 Squier Strat to a friend who's been 'on my case' for a long time. He's been nagging to buy it so I had to give in. I can say, that I think they made good instruments at that plant, good craft, good wood and nice sound. Well worth the money.
http://www.sorvallas.se/guitars/2.jpg

ScottieHotrod
June 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I've got an IC Squier standard tele. It works fine except the electronics are poop.

Has a brilliant trashy bridge sound, very thin and brash. I put some elixiers on it this time last year and it's still bright as hell. Pick it up now and then to mess about with. Very noisey tho, I would go at it with some upgrades and a soldering iron but I'm too busy with my new guitar.

One thing that is very strange is that the rosewood part of the neck is thicker near the nut than at the heel.

I treat it as a beater but I actually paid 200 for it. That's a lot of cash to me!

dexfx69
January 20th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Old thread but I ad to reply to the above post. I own many USA Fenders and Gibsons, as well as many Indonesian crafted Squiers. The Squiers in the past decade have been excellent instruments overall, usually with a minor problem like setup (easily remedied), or fret levelling not done up to USA spec.

All my Indonesian made Fender Squiers purchased since 2002 are solid hardwood in alder, agathis, ash or basswood - the plywood years were a long time ago. For the price, these instruments are a steal of a deal. Matter of fact, I just returned my Fender Jazz Bass and prefer my Indonesian made Squier version for playability and build quality.

dexfx69
January 20th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Wasn't no amount of pro set-up gonna make anything more than a boat paddle out of that one...........sorry, maybe what I had isn't what you guys are talking about?

On rare occasion, the Indonesian made guitars will be a dog. But that is a rare occasion. Dont judge just by the one - go try some more and youll be pleasantly surprised.

Stringbender11
January 20th, 2013, 10:38 AM
My only experience with Indonesian guitars is a Squier Strat I had that was i think an '05. It was a really nice guitar imo, very good fit and finish. I often see the Indo Squiers getting bashed in guitar forums & have wondered why. And I wouldnt let that stop me from getting another one if I found a nice one.

rhythmjones
January 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I have a 2012 VM Jazzmaster. It is a superb guitar that far exceeded my expectations for a guitar at that price point. The neck and fretwork are perfect. The Duncan Designed AlNiCo pickups are SWEET. I couldn't be happier.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/486462_4418809356925_2069258345_n.jpg

ftgjr
January 20th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I picked up an 05 Squier Standard this past Summer, for $80. This guitar is surprisingly good, even if it were twice the price. This is my second Squier Tele and think they are great value.

flyswatter
January 20th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I recently bought an Indonesian VM Tele with Duncan Designed P90s in both positions. Great guitar. Definitely not plywood. Only problem when I got it was slight roughness to the neck from hasty sanding. A little 400-grade emory cloth took care of that.

banjohabit
January 21st, 2013, 12:12 AM
i have an indo-made trans-amber strat like the one shown above, my #2 guitar behind my indo-made 2009 tele standard. my #3 is indo-made as well, a (now heavily modded) bullet strat.

both strats have been modded and proved to be very good platforms for modding and useful guitars for gigging.

the only mod i've done to the tele is the greene/fezz wiring and it's a very gig-worthy instrument, the tool i use to inflict the public with my guitar playing several hours per week. never a moments problem with it. duh..it IS a tele.

tpaul
January 21st, 2013, 01:09 AM
My only complaint about the indonesian standard and fat squier telecasters is that the ones I've owned have had too sharp a break angle behind the saddles.

I wish I had a better picture, but this is the best I could find after searching online. It's from a fellow here on TDPRI, and he replaced the original bridge, but that doesn't matter because it's the location of the string-through holes that causes the problem: they're too close to the neck, by about a half-inch. Or, I guess another way of saying it is that the scale length is just a tad too long? Whatever the cause, it creates this crazy sharp string break angle. You can see in this picture that the strings go over the saddles and then dive down at pretty much a 90 degree angle. Every one of these I've tried had this same sharp string break angle, and I think it negatively affects the tone of the guitar. YMMV.