$vboptions[bbtitle]

Who also fell in love w/ DUNLOP ULTEX picks?

Nick Fanis
January 15th, 2004, 09:29 AM
I have been a fanatic user of Dunlop nylon picks (glow in the dark 0.80mm) for quite a while.

I couldn't believe at the sonic difference and feel between those nylon picks and the regular Fender of tortex ones I have been using for years.

A friend gave me a new DUNLOP ULTEX (0.73mm) to try yesterday and what can I say THEY ARE EVEN BETTER than my trusty nylons.

They feel better and sound as crisp (and maybe a tad more ) as the nylons .

They are also fuller sounding giving me a rounder tone but w/ all the beloved crispness of the nylon.

I am sold ... 8)

Anybody now if the CLAYTON ULTEM are the same rebranded pick ( I love large triangle picks and Dunlop only offers ULTEX in the regular size so I think of giving CLAYTON a try if they are EXACTLY the same w/ DUNLOP)

jordanl
January 15th, 2004, 12:59 PM
The Claytons seem to be made from the same plastic as the dunlop ultex, they have some slightly different gauges. I think you'll be ahppy with em.

I got hooked on these in late 2002, and they're my first choice for electric. Great picks, I like the 1.0 or 1.14's. Nice and stiff with just a touch of flex.

fullerplast
January 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Yes, absolutely! I use the 1.15's and really like them. The best part is that they last forever. I used to trash picks every other gig but these just don't wear much at all.

John E
January 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Haven't tried the Ultex but I like the Nylon's... wanted to try something heavier so I picked up a 20 pack of these picks called "Brain"... they're blue and are 1.30's... nice and thick and last a while... I like them. Gotta try the Ultex, do they come in sizes over 1.0?

Nick Fanis
January 15th, 2004, 01:26 PM
the heaviest they got is the 1.14 BUT these are very stiff picks to begin with a .73mm feels more like a regular 0.9mm pick.
I also loved nylons but these ULTEX picks are better.

porklash
January 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Ultex 1.00 for me thank you!
A clear attack without sounding thin.

pEr

bluesy
January 15th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Yes, absolutely! I use the 1.15's and really like them. The best part is that they last forever. I used to trash picks every other gig but these just don't wear much at all.

I agree, I use the Ultex .73 and they seem damn near indestructable! Very articulate attack as well.

Mike D.
January 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM
But they cost twice as much. Nonetheless, it's just about all I use right now. I keep switching between guages which is something that I don't like doing with Tortex.

gottliver
January 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
ultex 1mm, nothing better!

Bill E.
January 15th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I do a lot of fast, syncopated strumming, plus anywhere where a larger pick helps. Otherwise, Fender heavy 358s
(jazz teardrop) for me. I wish the ultex came in a 358 shape - THOSE would be interesting!

B

jordanl
January 15th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure if they're still doing it but check out jimdunlop.com. They were giving away free Ultex samples for awhile. You give them your email and a few weeks later you get a .73 in the mail.

skepticult
January 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Another vote for the Ultex picks.

Hooray!

I like the way they stick to your fingers without being annoyingly textured like Gator Grips.

Kelsey
January 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM
and I love it, too. I also like the red Fender nylon picks, but I have to find someone who stocks the Ultex locally before I lose this one.

Scotland
January 15th, 2004, 06:15 PM
You gave me a great pointer on the Pyramid strings so I just ordered some Dunlops. I'll let you know about them.

Scotland
January 30th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Played with both 1.00 and .76 last night. The .76 is slightly brighter but they both make the sound so much more toneful. I would not have believed such a difference in tone could be had by picks alone.

Nick Fanis
January 30th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Yep I couldn't believe it too!
BTW Scotland I think that the actual gauge of the pick is 0.73 not 0.76 but I 'll check it out! 8)
I prefer the .73 from the 1mm cause I attack the strings very hard and a medium gauge pick does not muffle my tone while a heavy one chockes it a bit.
More civilized players will be fine with the 1mm though....

Nick Fanis
January 30th, 2004, 04:30 AM
of BTW I bought mine from these guys:

http://www.firstguitar.com/Showroom/picks.html

GREAT SERVICE and PRICES!

Scotland
January 30th, 2004, 04:54 AM
I think that the actual gauge of the pick is 0.73 not 0.76 but I 'll check it out! 8)
I prefer the .73 from the 1mm cause I attack the strings very hard and a medium gauge pick does not muffle my tone while a heavy one chockes it a bit.
More civilized players will be fine with the 1mm though....

Yes Nick, once again you are right. My thoughts are identical to yours on the gauge thing. Picks, Pyramid strings....any more great tips ? :lol:
Thanks,
John

I'll check that site you posted, I got the last three picks (each gauge) in the only UK shop I could find them in.

rebelern
January 30th, 2004, 05:19 AM
For all this info, and the link, I'll see if I can find a stockist, and get some, I feel the .73mm will be for me too!. :wink:

Ernie.

Nick Fanis
January 30th, 2004, 05:34 AM
the great thing about these guys is that they sent the picks WITHOUT charging any shipping cost (yes even to international buyers!).
Actually I bought 24 picks for the "Greek" price of 6 picks !

PVTele
January 30th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I've used grey .60 Jim Dunlop nylon as long as I can remember (I like a v light pick) and I love them for the attack and the articulacy (is that a word? :? ) you get with them. I use 9-42 D'Addario EXL120's, and I find a heavier pick just drowns them. (I once wrote to congratulate them on the way these picks sound AND last, and I got a really nice email back from Jim D himself! Has to boost your loyalty, a thing like that 8) )

Never tried the Ultex - must give them a go. Do they make a lighter one than the .73? I'll see if that free offer's still going on their website.

Nick Fanis
January 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM
they do make a .60 one that is also great.I also used to love the old grey NYLON Dunlop picks but these new Dunlop Ultex sound and feel better.

mojito
January 30th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I got a couple of the free samples and pretty much had them lying around, then the other night I happened to grab one. It was amazing how much brighter the Ultex sounded over my regular Dunlop "fins". I will need to run through a set and see if it is the sound I want or not. Brighter isn't always better IMO. They definitely are worth checking out though.

alexbatonrouge
January 31st, 2004, 06:18 PM
on the world that play Country with Dunlop 208 (big black and thick (more than 1mm). Strange thing but once I got used to it, no thinner pick did it... Any other outlaw around so we could set up a team. ahh the other one is our bass-player who found one of mine lying around.

maxsmith
June 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Anybody now if the CLAYTON ULTEM are the same rebranded pick ( I love large triangle picks and Dunlop only offers ULTEX in the regular size so I think of giving CLAYTON a try if they are EXACTLY the same w/ DUNLOP)

They may be the same material, but the Dunlops have a terrific-ly smooth bevel all the way around the edge that feels like butter on the string - the Claytons aren't so nicely finished.

Besides that bevel, I love the Dunlop Ultex because:

They feel lightweight but stiff for the guages compared to other materials.

The surface has a matte finish that doesn't slip around so much.

They don't warp from heat while they've been in your hand awhile.

Every one I have seen is FLAT - you wouldn't think that's a big deal, but take a look at a handful of new Celluloid or Tortex or Delrin picks and notice how many are warped!

They last - a nice (D'Andrea XCell, Pyramid) celluloid pick wears away enough in one set that I can feel it and need to change picks - I attack the string with the pick angled, not flat - so the edges take all the abuse and get ground away fast.

They have a Rhino printed on them!

8)

boogaloo
June 28th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I like the Ultrex (don't like the prices, but I love the picks). I usually buy Dunlops in bulk, and have recently purchased a half gross of their "Black Gold" .73's. About a year ago I bought some Dunlops branded "Lucky 13" (a clothing manufacturer, I think) from fleabay. Got a good deal on 'em. Guess I just like Dunlops in general :D

Brian

steve s
June 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
that is the same pick I use but I did find some in the large triangle style....which is what I also prefer. Are you sure they don't offer them that way? Maybe they stopped making that style, or maybe that ain't what I got but it sure looks like it. I'll check them out when I get home. Mine are same color but the big triangle and have the same Rhino on them???

maxsmith
June 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
that is the same pick I use but I did find some in the large triangle style....which is what I also prefer. Are you sure they don't offer them that way? Maybe they stopped making that style, or maybe that ain't what I got but it sure looks like it. I'll check them out when I get home. Mine are same color but the big triangle and have the same Rhino on them???

Yeah, you can still get them.

If you search "Ultex" on eBay, you'll find a couple of places that ship them in larger quantities at reasonable prices.

Joe-Bob
June 28th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I didn't like the Ultex when I tried it, but I may have to do a re-test. Lately, I've been using the Dunlop .96mm Gator Grips. I've been really happy with those.

stevedenver
June 28th, 2005, 04:35 PM
ultrex is great
now if they'd make em glow in the dark.....

maxsmith
June 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM
ultrex is great
now if they'd make em glow in the dark.....

I notice that Dunlop calls the color of the Ultex "tequila" - though it's not the color of the tequila I drink - it's still cool...

It might be cool if they were more - colorful they not so easy to spot when dropped.

BB
June 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I have been a fanatic user of Dunlop nylon picks (glow in the dark 0.80mm) for quite a while.

I couldn't believe at the sonic difference and feel between those nylon picks and the regular Fender of tortex ones I have been using for years.

A friend gave me a new DUNLOP ULTEX (0.73mm) to try yesterday and what can I say THEY ARE EVEN BETTER than my trusty nylons.

They feel better and sound as crisp (and maybe a tad more ) as the nylons .

They are also fuller sounding giving me a rounder tone but w/ all the beloved crispness of the nylon.

I am sold ... 8)

Nick...we seem to be on the same wave length.....Vinci strings, Graph Tech IOS saddles, Ultex picks....Hmmm. I actually switch off between Ultex, Tortex, Nylon, those little jazz numbers, my fingers, my homemade wood picks, etc...but I do find myself really liking (and searching my pocket for) the ultex picks. They feel good and sound good.

soma5
June 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ultex .73 have really fast snap and if you angle them you can get a thick tone. I use them by preference now; I used to use very thick picks all the time but not any more.

xStonr
June 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I like the Snarling Dogs Brain Picks w/smart grip. I use the .88mm ones. Great pick and great name.

LINK (http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&STRID=202638&Method=0&CategoryID=0&BrandID=1732&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=nonetodaythanks)

ruger9
June 28th, 2005, 08:39 PM
how does the Ultex compare to the tortex?
(I haven't found any Ultex pics locally)

soma5
June 28th, 2005, 09:51 PM
how does the Ultex compare to the tortex?
(I haven't found any Ultex pics locally)

Tortex seems to me to have slower snap. Both are good. I like and sometimes use the Tortex green and also the yellow. I've found the yellow ones to be a little warped lately. I really like the faster snap with the Ultex.

Sarge
June 29th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Are they are the one's with the "Rhino" on them? I belive I fount 2 glued to a magizine Dunlop ad. If so, it's all I use any more.

boogaloo
June 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
on the Rhino on the pick.

Also- although I agree that the color can be easily lost on a stage (or an oriental rug for that matter..speaking from experience) I like the color- theres something about it that says "vintage" to me.

Brian

T.JED.JR
June 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM
They are all i use anymore, a salesman a GC talked me into trying them, i used regular fender nylon before and he was so sure i would like them he said he would sell them to me for the same price as the nylon, best thing i ever did. (well one pf the best anyway). :wink:

JerryPro
June 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I've been using them for about three months now. They are all I use. I use the 1mm that are Tequlia color. They are very hard to find when you drop them. They seem to blend into whatever stage your playing on.