$vboptions[bbtitle]

PV T-60; is it cool?

RickC
January 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Someone posted this link on another board, as an object of derision

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2371381193&category=33046

To, me these have a kind of Tele-like vibe, and imo the bang-per-buck ratio is pretty huge. What do y'all think? Anyone playing one of these now?

/rick

Telemaniac
January 13th, 2004, 05:38 PM
They look fine to me, and always go for an affordable price. Nothing "wrong" with Peaveys, I've got an old Peavey Milestone bass, like a Jazz copy, I like it a lot.

Mike H.
January 13th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I actually played one of these once. It played well and had great tones. The only drawback is that they are heavier than a mofo. I believe the bodies were made of oak.

Cam
January 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM
http://www.tdpri.com/viewtopic.php?t=6562&highlight=
Some of us here like 'em and have 'em. In spite of the weight of some of them, I think they are a highly overlooked and underated axe which is very affordable. .....Massive variety of tones available from them....... built to work! Extremely cool axe jmho....

e-merlin
January 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Well, it is boat anchor heavy, but it's one of the most versatile guitars you'll ever own. Bodies were heavy Northern Ash, the theory being that a heavier body would sustain better. Of course, that theory has been disproven, thank goodness.

A coupe of the cool features: Phase switch (works only when both pickups are on of course). Though a humbucker guitar, the coils taps are actuated by turning the Tone controls up. Single coil with the tone controls up, humbucker when you turn 'em down. No need for push/pull pots. Red Rhoads circuit design if I remember right.

I count Chip Todd (designer of the T-60) as a friend and mentor of sorts. You can talk to him over on the Peavey guitar forum. He no longer works for Peavey (or Fender) but keeps in touch over there. He is still building cool guitars as well as Top Fuel drag boat engines and guns. He's been visiting with Hartley about some new guitar designs. He's also restoring and lightening T-60s on request.

Cam
January 13th, 2004, 08:32 PM
E- merlin, do you know what he is doing to lighten them? Does it involve removal of wood?

buglecorps
January 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM
at a yard sale..great little 3/4 size electric..mine had the Superferrite pick ups, and would have totaly smoked any vintage Fender "student" model. Great little guitar, sold to a student who still uses it for slide.

markophonic
January 13th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I have a 1979, ash, natural finish, it's a tad on the heavy side but is a very versatile guitar with some great tone. The electronics are quite unique idea and I get some great "tele" type tones out of it.

These are an absolute bargain...you can find them in the $200 range.

e-merlin
January 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah, Cam, it invloves removing wood. A lot like a Thinline Tele, but he puts in some foam so it doesn't resonate like one. You can check with him on the Peavey Guitar Forum. He's even posted some pictures. You can also get his e-mail address there if you want to talk turkey.

I have 2 of the T-15s I bought for my daughters. I love those Super Ferrite pickups! I'm going to put one or two in a Tele. They are kind of like a P90 with a little bit more definition.

sticko
January 13th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Ask Johnny Copeland!

Colo Springs E
January 13th, 2004, 11:27 PM
....in a funky kinda way. You gotta be sure of yourself to be seen playing one of them! I think they are kinda cool, they're so ugly I kind of dig them.

-Eric

jericho60
January 14th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Hmmm...well, they are heavy as hell and have a neck that's too reminiscent of a yardstick for my liking. They do have a lot of tonal variety, though. I still see em for $150-200, maybe I should buy one and hang onto it if they're on their way up now.

Brian Henneman from the Bottle Rockets swears by T-60s now...the most expensive one he's got is a white one that he paid $200 for.

Blueblood
January 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Dead mint '83 and it sounds awesome. Not heavy like the T-60 but equally nice.
For the record, I would never spend over $200.00 for a T-60..my local guitar shop had one for $150.00 and it stayed over a year! :shock:

astro
January 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM
T60's are the kind of guitar that you just can't kill.

George Tabb from Iron Prostrate and Furious George used one.

They can sound alright, too.

timgreene
January 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
There is one in a pawnshop near me with 160.00 on the price tag. Probably coud get it for less. Not sure if the case is included. I see the one on ebay went for 330?

in my mind 330 is just to much.

e-merlin
January 14th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Let's see, $330 for a mint 70's T-60? Well, someone paid $1100 for a beat up, hacked 70's Tele the same day. Who got the better deal?

Joel Terry
January 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM
and the $300 - $350 price range still makes for an excellent value; however, they make a Les Paul feel like a feather. MAN, they're heavy guitars, those T-60s!

Just my two cents' worth,
Joel