$vboptions[bbtitle]

Clean Boost build

JohnnyCrash
July 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hey guys, I'd like to thank ibobunot for recommending the AMZ Mosfet Booster (http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm) to me to build.

I built it from scratch while waiting on my Rangemaster's parts to arrive. In my search for parts locally, I found an old place with all kinds of NOS Germanium transistors, Mosfet transistors, and all kinds of very cool stuff!

It doesn't have a footswitch yet and I used stereo jacks for now (I'm obviously out of a lot of parts!), but it works great!!!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/AshCaster/Amps/Mosfet%20Boost/mosfetnoswitch.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q162/AshCaster/Amps/Mosfet%20Boost/mosfetguts.jpg

Tim Armstrong
July 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hey Johnny, you might consider going and getting a bunch of those Germanium transistors. Aren't they kinda rare-ish? You could make a bunch of cool Sixties-flavored fuzztones and make some of that boo-teek pedal money!

Cheers, Tim

JohnnyCrash
July 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
They had bags full of Germanium transistors. Brand new, individually wrapped. Some were new old stock that had been repackaged.

As far as this booster, I've had a chance to play with it a bit...

It goes from a nice, modest clean boost (making pickups a bit more punchier and present) to a big crunchy boost. It doesn't push tube preamps, it shoves them.

My only problem is the 5k Audio taper Gain pot. It doesn't have a lot of play. The last half is an all of the sudden boost, the first half barely boosts at all. Maybe a Linear taper or a 10k... but 10k may not work out so well...

JohnnyCrash
July 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, them ore I play this thing, the more I love it - but the more frustrated I am with the 5k pot!!

It only has a real usefull range from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock (max). Trying to find different shades between those spots is very narrow.

Very cool sounds though - a perfect clean boost - exactly what I was looking for (other than the pot issue)! Thanks for the tip again ibobunot!!!

ibobunot
July 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Jack Orman kicks ass, a lot of the boo-teek favorites are based on his designs.

.. :cool:

ThermionicScott
July 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
A 5k linear pot would be a worthwhile experiment -- of course, then you'll post that the gain comes on too soon! :razz:

- Scott

P.S. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the pot was supposed to be linear -- generally, it's when a pot needs to be audio taper that they'll be specific...

JohnnyCrash
July 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM
A 5k linear pot would be a worthwhile experiment -- of course, then you'll post that the gain comes on too soon! :razz:

- Scott

P.S. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the pot was supposed to be linear -- generally, it's when a pot needs to be audio taper that they'll be specific...

I'm sure a Linear will work better. It dumps to ground and an Audio taper seems a little boneheaded in this use.

Now if I can just get my NPN transistor hammered down in my NegGround Rangemaster build...