$vboptions[bbtitle]

BF Champ Extension Speaker

Johnny Halo
July 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Just picked up a '66 Champ in exc. condition. I would like to use the speaker as little as possible to keep it in said condition.

Looking at Ampwares site, I see they have RCA plugs and wire. I am thinking I could get another speaker and wire it up to the plug and, voila! Extension speaker for the Champ.

Also, I am guessing it would be possible to put the RCA on one end and a 1/4" on the other to use in a cabinet.

Any thoughts? What gauge wire would be best?

Thanks in advance.

eugenedunn
July 16th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Are you against pulling out the RCA jack and replacing it with a standard 1/4-inch jack? It is a direct drop-in, with no drilling needed. Very easy to do.

If, on the other hand you don't want to mess with it, I suggest you put your Champ in a head cabinet and wire a RCA plug into the back panel jack. Then your original cabinet and speaker will remain unused.

Johnny Halo
July 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I was thinking that making a wire(s) would be the easiest and least invasive way to go.

eugenedunn
July 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
This is a pretty straightforward plug n play setup. I would recommend it if you're gonna transport your amp and plug into cabinets all the time.

Have you thought about removing the existing speaker and storing it? Just replace with a robust Weber 8F125 like I did. Much louder, and late breakup. 3.2 ohm vintage correct impedance, 30-watt rating.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/539/medium/79_Champ-Weber_8F125.JPG

WrapAround
July 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Or you can get a RCA-to-1/4" adapter and use a regular 1/4" speaker cable to an extension cab. I believe Weber can make any speakers with the stock Champ speaker impedance.

eugenedunn
July 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think WrapAround's got the easiest solution, but the RCA jack is inherently kinda weak.

Like I said earlier, if you plan on connecting and disconnecting a lot and transporting a lot, you would do well to either go for the beefier 1/4-inch jack or even the head cabinet route.

SamBooka
July 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I have done the 1/4 to RCA adapter thing in the past.
2 issues.. Very long and weak. Also more weight straigh down on the RCA jack and with vibration the RCA plug can fall out.

I made a custom cable using lamp cord (I know.. but it seems to work for me) since I didnt want to replace the RCA jack with a 1/4". I loop the cable through the handle so the weight is not being held by the RCA jack.

Cheers

Drew