$vboptions[bbtitle]

How much is my Tele worth?

1963tele
May 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I just acquired my moms 1963 Telecaster. It is the one that is made of mahogany. I believe it is completely original but has a decent amount of wear and tear. I am missing the pickup cover and the little black top hat knob for the three way switch. I don't really want to sell it because it has been in my family all my life. I would really like to find out what it is worth just to know. I may be wrong but I believe 1963 and maybe 64 were the only years that the mahogany Telecasters were made. I have attached a few photos.

Any information on this guitar would be appreciated.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0004.jpg

KevinB
May 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
You are very close. The mahogany teles were only offered on special order in 1963, 4 and 5, and only in limited quantities.

By "pickup cover" I think you really mean ash-tray or bridge cover. The vast majority of older Teles are missing these as most people don't like them and just tossed them! The top hat knobs (it should be branded "DAKA WARE") are sometimes available on eBay or as "new old stock" at places like Angela Instruments.

You have a really beautiful guitar there, and I'm sure it means a lot to you - personally I'd treasure it. It's certainly worth a lot of money, but I would hesitate to put a price on it, although a figure well in excess of $10,000 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Good luck with it and thanks for sharing your photos.

Joe M
May 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Very cool, never heard of a mahogany tele before....

riolux
May 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Wow, I'm going to call my mom right now :-D

Gaber_771
May 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
What's your mom's 63 special order mahogany telecaster worth...

It would be priceless it it was mine... Great Guitar!!!

ddewerd
May 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
According to the S/N from the pic (L224xx) it would be a 1964

Neckplates with an "L Plate" are considered a Pre-CBS Fender (even though the CBS corporation bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen as early as late 1962.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963
L20000 to L55000 = 1964
L55000 to L99999 = 1965

I've got a 63, but I have no idea what it's worth, so sorry, not much help there.

Cheers,
Doug

1963tele
May 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
According to the S/N from the pic (L224xx) it would be a 1964

Neckplates with an "L Plate" are considered a Pre-CBS Fender (even though the CBS corporation bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen as early as late 1962.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963
L20000 to L55000 = 1964
L55000 to L99999 = 1965

I've got a 63, but I have no idea what it's worth, so sorry, not much help there.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks all for the great responses. I never looked in to the serial number but I removed the neck and it has a date stamp of 1963. I just assumed it was a 63. Maybe it was made in 63 and sold in 64?

Shelby21
May 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM
if you looka the pic of the body up close you can see above the bridge an indent in the body that follows the curves of a bigsby bridge, not saying was actually on there but the line indented above the bridge does look like one

Stuco
May 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
It's worth a lot, get another 63, 64 top hat and take care of that guitar.

Mostly original pre cbs telecaster in a rare and limited wood? Its hard to say, you should contact gruhn's or another respected vintage guitar appraiser/dealer. Also, watch ebay and vintage guitar sites to see what similar guitars are going for. It's worth a pretty penny cash wise but also probably a lot to you since it has history for you. Congratulations

Just out of curiosity, what does this guitar weigh?

Stuco
May 16th, 2008, 11:32 PM
if you looka the pic of the body up close you can see above the bridge an indent in the body that follows the curves of a bigsby bridge, not saying was actually on there but the line indented above the bridge does look like one

That looks like an "ashtray" bruise to me. Also, no signs that I can see of repaired bigsby holes.

Shelby21
May 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
That looks like an "ashtray" bruise to me. Also, no signs that I can see of repaired bigsby holes.
thats tru i didnt think of that

furrfurrfurr
May 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
beautiful.

hope you don't have to sell it.

Stuco
May 16th, 2008, 11:44 PM
From http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html

"1963 Telecaster specs:

Telecasters were offered with a mahogany body and a translucent red finish. Not very many were produced, and this option is only seen in 1963/1964.
12th fret neck dot markers moved closer together.
By late 1963, body dates were no longer used.

Fall 1964 Telecaster specs:

Pearloid fingerboard dots replace "clay" dots (this transitioned into early 1965).
Pickguard changed to a white plastic W/B/W three layer laminted plastic.
The Custom Telecaster peghead decal changed to the gold "transition" style decal with patent numbers 2,573,254 and 2,784,631 and DES number 164,227.
Pickup changes from "black bottom" to "gray bottom" (again this transitioned into 1965).
Tuners change from "single line" Kluson Deluxe to "double line" Kluson Deluxe (where "Kluson" and "Deluxe" are now in two vertical parallel lines). "

1963tele
May 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM

The indent you are looking at is from the ashtray cover. There has never been any modifications made to this guitar.

sean79
May 17th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I have no idea how much she's worth. If all is legit... my opinion is that it's priceless. Your mom? What's the story behind your mom having such a sweet Tele?
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/sean79sean79/50shogtele.jpg
If you're using photobucket, you can copy and paste the image codes directly in your text. That way, the pictures show up (instead of the blue links). If you click on the image code, I believe it will copy what you need - just past the [img ] thing in your post. Glad you're not selling it, and although I can't give you any information on that guitar, I'm sure there are people here who can (and have). Good luck - and welcome to the TDPRI.

BroadMaster
May 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM
WELCOME to the TDPRI, 1963tele! Nice specimen. What genre(s) of music did Mom play on it?

Keep it and check out some guitar lessons. Playing guitar is great fun and a fine hobby.... Next thing you know, you'll be building a clone of Mom's guitar to take out and play. Keeping her's, safely at home.

If interested, may I suggest www.joetheguitarman.com for a good beginning. But maybe I am assuming that you don't play,
yet... I could be off base, just your post seems to be indicative of being a non player.. glad to have ya here.:cool:

I just acquired my moms 1963 Telecaster. It is the one that is made of mahogany. I believe it is completely original but has a decent amount of wear and tear. I am missing the pickup cover and the little black top hat knob for the three way switch. I don't really want to sell it because it has been in my family all my life. I would really like to find out what it is worth just to know. I may be wrong but I believe 1963 and maybe 64 were the only years that the mahogany Telecasters were made. I have attached a few photos.

Mountaintwanger
May 17th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Beautiful Tele!......Keep it in the Family..........

Mountaintwanger
May 17th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Thanks for posting the pics of that beautiful Tele and welcome to the site....

1963tele
May 17th, 2008, 01:58 AM
WELCOME to the TDPRI, 1963tele! Nice specimen. What genre(s) of music did Mom play on it?

Keep it and check out some guitar lessons. Playing guitar is great fun and a fine hobby.... Next thing you know, you'll be building a clone of Mom's guitar to take out and play. Keeping her's, safely at home.

If interested, may I suggest www.joetheguitarman.com for a good beginning. But maybe I am assuming that you don't play,
yet... I could be off base, just your post seems to be indicative of being a non player.. glad to have ya here.:cool:

My mom played in county band for many years until she passed away in the early 90s. She purchased this tele when I was very small but I she did not play it much, she always played an acoustic Martin. There were other members of the band that played it though. It has been in storage for more that 18 years.

I think I am going to attempt to learn to play better. I can play a few cords that I learned many years ago but that's all. I did learned to play the bass fairly well and played in her band for a couple of years when I was in high school.

JamonHamon
May 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Make sure you keep it stock do not change any parts or refinish it
if you do it will lose its value

ddewerd
May 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks all for the great responses. I never looked in to the serial number but I removed the neck and it has a date stamp of 1963. I just assumed it was a 63. Maybe it was made in 63 and sold in 64?

That could be. I think my 63 is similar. I haven't removed the neck for a looooong time, but when I did, I am almost positive it said 62. I remember saying for the longest time that I had a 62 Tele (this was probably 30 years ago). Only when I started getting more into the whole Tele thing (like when I joined TDPRI) did I check the s/n, and it comes up 63. So I may have a 62 neck on a 63 body. I think there's someone else here (can't recall who) who has the same thing. But I'm a bit superstitious - my Tele plays great, and I'm so comfortable with it, that I'm scared to take the neck off just to check.

At any rate, you've got a great one!

Cheers,
Doug

giginthesky
May 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
buckle rash? did your mom wear a belt? did she maybe buy it used? thanx for sharing the pics! truly made my day. could be maybe the parts were made in 63 and the guitar assembled in 64.

Dennis68
May 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
What's your mom's 63 special order mahogany telecaster worth...

It would be priceless it it was mine... Great Guitar!!!

Welcome !!The above quote is the best answer you'll get. You can't put a price on your Mom's guitar! But if you were pricing for insurance purposes, I'd say you should probabloy gt a formal appraisal by one of the noted dealers out there that provide such services.

Do tell about the history behind this one!

KevinB
May 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Dave Rogers has a '63 in his personal collection - not for sale! - with a maple board. But his has been refinished...

http://www.davesguitar.com/product/CL20086.JPG

BAW4742
May 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Welcome aboard 63tele.

Nice guitar. That's the first one of those that I've seen. And a nice story behind it.

Thanks for sharing.

skunqesh
May 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Make sure you keep it stock do not change any parts or refinish it
if you do it will lose its value

amen that! keep it original, it's perfect the way it is. The only thing you oughta change (IMHO) are the strings :lol:

Thanks for sharing the pics and story, that's a beauty of a guitar, and a rare bird at that. It may be well worth your time to have it appraised so you can insure it. I'm purely an amateur when it comes to making assessments, but in todays market that guitar could fetch well over 10-15K, and will continue to appreciate so long as it remains original. But that it belonged to your mom regardless of how much she played it, is just priceless.

Just had to pipe in cuz, in a twist of syncronicity, I'm set to build a mahogany pre-cbs clone myself. Those pics convinced to keep it nickel :idea: was thinking gold hardware, but the chrome and nickle hardware nails it, although I'm stickin with a blackguard :cool:

:!: Question for ya - how are the controls wired? That is, is the three way selector switch wired for: Bridge, Neck, Neck/tone or Bridge, Bridge w/Neck, Neck ? I'm curious since around the early to mid 60s Fender occasionally still wired them like the former.

cheers!

alexpigment
May 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
i would say you could easily charge $15k for that guitar

JackStraw
May 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Great guitar and story behind it.

nvosmeier
May 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Here is that vintage DAKAWARE top hat switch that you need on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FENDER-TELECASTER-ESQUIRE-SWITCH-TIP-DAKAWARE_W0QQitemZ200223214805QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4 7076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

russ
May 17th, 2008, 07:59 PM
The Mahogany Telecaster is a really rare guitar. I would pay to get appraisals from well established dealers.
Here is a picture from the 65-66 Fender catalog. I am fairly sure it is only pictured in this catalog.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/rstw2005/IMG_0740.jpg

xjazzy
May 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM

My mom played in county band for many years until she passed away in the early 90s.

:shock:
Nice tele!
It's priceless to you, I'm sure.

Colt W. Knight
May 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
:shock:
Nice tele!
It's priceless to you, I'm sure.

I noticed that as well xjazzy. What's going on here?

Kobedog
May 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
That is one special guitar. I've seen one recently listed at over 20k! One of the rarest models out there...it will continue to appreciate in value...insure it!

1963tele
May 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
amen that! keep it original, it's perfect the way it is. The only thing you oughta change (IMHO) are the strings :lol:

Thanks for sharing the pics and story, that's a beauty of a guitar, and a rare bird at that. It may be well worth your time to have it appraised so you can insure it. I'm purely an amateur when it comes to making assessments, but in todays market that guitar could fetch well over 10-15K, and will continue to appreciate so long as it remains original. But that it belonged to your mom regardless of how much she played it, is just priceless.

Just had to pipe in cuz, in a twist of syncronicity, I'm set to build a mahogany pre-cbs clone myself. Those pics convinced to keep it nickel :idea: was thinking gold hardware, but the chrome and nickle hardware nails it, although I'm stickin with a blackguard :cool:

:!: Question for ya - how are the controls wired? That is, is the three way selector switch wired for: Bridge, Neck, Neck/tone or Bridge, Bridge w/Neck, Neck ? I'm curious since around the early to mid 60s Fender occasionally still wired them like the former.

cheers!

I am not sure of the wiring because I do not have an amp to try it out. After all of the feedback on this thread, I am now sure I am going to keep the Tele so I will be looking for an amplifier.

1963tele
May 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Here is that vintage DAKAWARE top hat switch that you need on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FENDER-TELECASTER-ESQUIRE-SWITCH-TIP-DAKAWARE_W0QQitemZ200223214805QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4 7076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the tip. I went directly on eBay and ordered it!

1963tele
May 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I would like to thank everyone for thier kind and helpful responses to this thread. I have many fond memories of this guitar from when I was a child and you have convinced my to keep it. My wife has been trying to get me to sell it because it was taking up space in the closet. Instead of being in the closet, I may just have to get a display case and put it in the living room!

I new that old telecasters were collectors items but until I found this forum, I really did not know how special and loved they were and would have never known that this one was anything special. Had it not been for the people on this forum I would have probably sold it for much less that it was worth.

I am absolutely going to get a professional appraisal but only for insurance reasons.

thepassivevoice
May 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I would like to thank everyone for thier kind and helpful responses to this thread.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who has added your photos to the OutstandingTeles folder.

63dot
May 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
extremely rare and one that could achieve a unique price that could maybe get you a mbz c-class or lexus luxury car...it could pay for a state college including rent in some states for a child

i had a mahogany body '62 jaguar but my body was a mighty mite after market body

your tele body, if fender, and not an after market, is worth a ton

even if the body is not real, but the neck, pups, electronics, tuners, and the rest are real, it's still worth a lot of money

i saw a '57 strat neck, without tuners, for $2,000 dollars all by itself, and fifteen years ago at that

whatever your tele is, keep it...very beautiful

63dot
May 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I would like to thank everyone for thier kind and helpful responses to this thread. I have many fond memories of this guitar from when I was a child and you have convinced my to keep it. My wife has been trying to get me to sell it because it was taking up space in the closet. Instead of being in the closet, I may just have to get a display case and put it in the living room!

I new that old telecasters were collectors items but until I found this forum, I really did not know how special and loved they were and would have never known that this one was anything special. Had it not been for the people on this forum I would have probably sold it for much less that it was worth.

I am absolutely going to get a professional appraisal but only for insurance reasons.

what if she had a rack of six pairs of aliigator jimmy choos and manolos in her closet, three of each in red, black and brown...would she think that was taking up room? :) he he

retail price on that - 20k or more - and conservatively, at the very least that much for your telecaster if all original and maybe some buyer would give you 30k for it

call george at george gruhn guitars
or norm harris at norm's rare guitars

get an insurance estimate

it is the second most rare fender i have even seen in the 15 years i collected from 1981-1996 when i had GAS

fender made a lefty strat body possibly in the early '70s with a right handed neck, in memory of hendrix, and displayed this one of a kind at the NAMM show...there is no price for that

your guitar, while in the picture above in the fender catalog, is about as rare as a catalog item "for the public" can be

when fender went public with dual and single pup esquires in the spring of 1950 before the broadcaster moniker, the single pup version was sold in that particular year in very few quantities, like your mahogany '63 tele

what you have is fender history

skunqesh
May 18th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I am not sure of the wiring because I do not have an amp to try it out. After all of the feedback on this thread, I am now sure I am going to keep the Tele so I will be looking for an amplifier.

No worries, have fun first! :smile:
If you get the opportunity take a few pics of the 'guts' of the controls and post 'em - S'il Vous Plaît. Or - If you're not ready or comfortable opening up the control route, have an appraiser take the pics (a professional appraiser will likely wish to see the insides of the control, but this is normal). Volume and Tone potentiometers typically have a manufacturer's date code on them which can be used to help confirm the overall date/authenticity of the guitar. The kind of pickup wiring used will be clear, but here's a schematic of what I'm burnin' to find out: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/53tele.gif

hope ya get a chance soon to shop around for an amp and have a blast firing that guitar up! thanks again for sharing your experience.

Telemarkman
May 18th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Here is a picture from the 65-66 Fender catalog. I am fairly sure it is only pictured in this catalog.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/rstw2005/IMG_0740.jpg

Based on the 1-ply pickguards (except for the Custom Tele), it would seem that the catalog has to be a 1963-64 :confused: ?! (By 1965 all Teles sported a 3-ply white plastic guard).
But maybe they just used an old picture ...

BAW4742
May 18th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I may just have to get a display case and put it in the living room!

Way to go! :grin:

Just don't keep it in the case like a museum piece. Take it out and play it. That's what Teles are for.

Your mom was a musician. I think that's what she would want.

Enjoy it.

63dot
May 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Based on the 1-ply pickguards (except for the Custom Tele), it would seem that the catalog has to be a 1963-64 :confused: ?! (By 1965 all Teles sported a 3-ply white plastic guard).

My 1965 tele still had some leftover 1964 parts on it and the transition period, starting in early 1965, was somewhat messy and a lot of anomalies cropped up

some esquires had spaghetti logos late into the 1960s

some back neckplates didn't have the stamped "F" making some people start doubting the authenticity of the guitar

serial numbers didn't always match up, and led others to think that they stuff might be altered

were the guitars altered, yes, but by CBS general (mis)management

...and other things, which also helped cement some of the early collectors bashing post-CBS guitars

now CBS quirks like three bolt necks, flat frets, funky designs, etc are collector items in their own right

skunqesh
May 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
My 1965 tele still had some leftover 1964 parts on it and the transition period, starting in early 1965, was somewhat messy and a lot of anomalies cropped up
-
...and other things, which also helped cement some of the early collectors bashing post-CBS guitars

now CBS quirks like three bolt necks, flat frets, funky designs, etc are collector items in their own right

heya 63dot,
sorry if I'm going OT, and Im sure this is a constant conversation amongst Tele connoisseurs, but I hadda chime in about dat Post CBS questionable quality thing. Pre CBS teles are way outta my reach nowadays, unless I win the lottery or stumble upon a mint Broadcaster at Ed-n-Mables ''Movin' to Florida" garage sale (pleez God, pleeeez! :lol: ). Luckily I've been able to get my mitts on a few mid-60s teles, which imho still make damn fine players. And as you pointed out - vary tremendously. Which is why I'm curious to find out what kind of pickup schematic was used on 63tele's most bodacious mahogany masterpiece (I'm still drooling over those pics - wow!)

I picked up a '67 basketcase not too long ago, and discovered it originally had pre-65 wiring, so I restored it to that configuration instead of the typical Brdg/B+N/Neck setup. It's not for everyone I reckon, but it's kinda neat - wonder what anyone else thinks of this set up?

1963tele
May 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM

There is a guy selling a 1963 / 1964 Fender catalog on ebay that has a similar picture showing the mohagony Tele. The only difference is the picture shows Telecasters and Esquires and the sign on the music stand is labeled correctly. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1963-1964-FENDER-FULL-LINE-CATALOG-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ110252734909QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11898 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Telemarkman
May 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM

I'm just surprised that Fender didn't show their newest features in their catalog rather than leftover parts ...

Both my '65 Teles (blonde and red) had a 3-ply white pickguard.

And sorry for hijacking the thread :oops: ...

63dot
May 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'm just surprised that Fender didn't show their newest features in their catalog rather than leftover parts ...

Both my '65 Teles (blonde and red) had a 3-ply white pickguard.

And sorry for hijacking the thread :oops: ...

that's a great point

my best guess is that a '63 would usually have a triple ply pickguard

but if it had a single ply, i wouldn't be alarmed

gruhn had a thinline tele custom looking electric from that period with les paul custom like block inlays, before any block inlays came into mass production at fender

it was transluscent green and it also had neck binding and was possibly a one of a kind, but it was real according to george gruhn

fender also had a lucite stratocaster in the '50s for a NAMM show booth, so almost anything is possible

before our well known fender guitar porn calendar, or custom shop calendar as i get every year, fender did some models in some rare and beautiful configurations and never made a record of them in a major publication or catalog

of course, fender custom shop was the first time fender went off the beaten path in large enough quantities to make a lot of guitar collectors get a chance to see something not quite stock or ordinary

73Tele
November 9th, 2008, 01:15 AM
there is a custom shop copy of that guitar (sr. masterbuilt) at a local dealer and it has a single ply white guard--assuming they did their homework, my guess is they came with a single ply. it is simply stunning and to think you have the real deal! pls do try to keep it as you would always regret selling it.

Arlo
November 9th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Unique and nice Telecaster you have there. Welcome to the forum.

Ask the master of Telecaster knowledge "Fuzzy" http://www.webervst.com/tele1/

He will be able to not only give you details but point to an appraisal expert if he doesn't know the value himself.

Buy yourself another Telecaster to learn on and save this one from any further damage. It might come in handy for funding the kids college someday. :wink: That would surely make Mom proud too.

Ronkirn
November 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
The Mahogany Tele and Strat were introduced in ’62 (if I recall) to compete with the mahogany Gibsons that many considered to made of a better quality lumber. However the additional cost of the Mahogany's made ‘em less desirable, thus they were discontinued after a few years.

That was your Mom’s guitar, it doesn’t matter that she rarely played it, never sell it, you will regret it the rest of your life…. I sold my Grandfather’s Autoharp when I was 22… for a hunret ‘n fifty bux dammit… Now all I have are the memories of him playing that thing when I was a little feller.

Ron Kirn

bigjoeblue
November 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
What a beautiful guitar. Your Mom surely loved you to give you such a fine guitar. Really glad you're keeping it, it's a work of art and way to special to you to put a price tag on except for insurance.

boneyguy
November 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I noticed that as well xjazzy. What's going on here?

Neither of you noticed that the quotes that don't make sense to you are from 2 different people!!!:shock:

MatteusNova
November 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Varför då? Har hon också en gammal tele? :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist). :mrgreen:

That was your Mom’s guitar, it doesn’t matter that she rarely played it, never sell it, you will regret it the rest of your life…. I sold my Grandfather’s Autoharp when I was 22… for a hunret ‘n fifty bux dammit… Now all I have are the memories of him playing that thing when I was a little feller.

Ron Kirn

The other day a old friend/work colleague of my dad was over for dinner. He saw my Telecaster and noted that he once owned a 1956-58 Gibson bass, years ago. He told me the whole story and how he eventually sold it for peanuts. :cry: I gave him a glare and told him to come and have a look at the computer screen what it was worth today. You could hear his jaw drop to the floor. :mrgreen:

bryn evans
December 31st, 2008, 10:45 AM
hiI just acquired my moms 1963 Telecaster. It is the one that is made of mahogany. I believe it is completely original but has a decent amount of wear and tear. I am missing the pickup cover and the little black top hat knob for the three way switch. I don't really want to sell it because it has been in my family all my life. I would really like to find out what it is worth just to know. I may be wrong but I believe 1963 and maybe 64 were the only years that the mahogany Telecasters were made. I have attached a few photos.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/1963fender/IMG_0004.jpg

bryn evans
December 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM
[hi sorry about that im a newbie I also have a mahogany tele but instead of the two pots and a select switch i have 4 pots and a select switch fitted into the body and not on a chrome plate does anyboby have any ideas thanks

KevinB
December 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the TDPRI!

Pictures would be nice.

Is yours a chambered mahogany Telesonic...

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1998_Fender_Tele-Sonic_N8352458.jpg

twangcaster1
December 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
It's worth more than a Squire Affinity Tele, I'm pretty sure of that.:rolleyes:

bikefreak193
February 8th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Does anyone know what my auston 6 string electric guitar is worth?

noisemaker
February 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
man... thats a nice piece of wood you got there...
I'd say it would be. hmm.. priceless, atleast to you..
if it were my moms guitar i would NEVER EVER sell it
not even if I lived on the street :wink:

castpolymer
February 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Love that Tele. Hold onto it unless you or your mom are in dire financial straits. Welcome to the forum. Not many folks bring such a sweet Tele for us to drool over. IMHO, mahogany Teles are very underated. It is almost like no one wants to admit that maybe Gibson had a good idea using mahogany. I am not saying it is better or worse than ash or alder, just different in a nice way.