$vboptions[bbtitle]

Freddy Weller & John Beland Together This Summer

John Beland
April 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Just thought I'd mention that my ol bud, Freddy Weller and I will be sharing top billing in Norway this summer at The Hilltop Cowboy Festival in Vigeland on July 11th. Although we will have our own bands, I will be playing guitar behind Freddy on his show. Lots of BBending, California country.

It'll be a great time and very special, as Freddy has been semi-retired for a few years now. He's the greatest and I hope any TDPRIers in the area will stop by.
See Ya There!!!
JB
www.johnbeland.com

Dave Evans
April 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Just thought I'd mention that my ol bud, Freddy Weller and I will be sharing top billing in Norway this summer at The Hilltop Cowboy Festival in Vigeland on July 11th. Although we will have our own bands, I will be playing guitar behind Freddy on his show. Lots of BBending, California country.

It'll be a great time and very special, as Freddy has been semi-retired for a few years now. He's the greatest and I hope any TDPRIers in the area will stop by.
See Ya There!!!
JB
www.johnbeland.com

Hey John, tell Freddy hello for me. I'm sure ya'll will have a great time!

garytelecastor
April 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM
flyingB-So what is the market like over in europe now for country players? I have an act I would like to book over there and was just wondering what the scene is like. Can you fill me in?-g

John Beland
April 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Dave & Gary
Dave..I certainly will pass along "heys" from you to Freddy. He'll be glad to hear from you.

Gary,
Not the greatest news to pass along to you. The market in Europe varies. Like anything, acts have to have a measure of past credentials, visibility and exposer before buyers show any interest. Like here in the States, its all about filling seats.
Most of the venues are festivals and occasional clubs. But the club scene has dwindled in the past few years in favor of DJ's and Line Dancing. The country scene is still there, but not as strong as past years.

However, if you are an act with a track record you still can work Europe, but most USA acts working there are acts that have been around a long time with a history of past Europe gigs under their belts.

Alot of countries favor their own acts more than outsiders. It's cheaper and theres this thing about International talent taking the wind out of local talent. This applies to Australia and Canada, where they have their own scene, with their own hit artists and talent pools and certain circles have this "thing" about USA acts coming over and taking the spotlight away from their own. Funny, when you consider that their entire country music industry originated from copying what was started in the USA. It's still that way.

In my case, I've been playing internationally since 1972, with major acts as well as the FBB. It has established a bit of a fan base for me, for which I'm very thankful. I have also spent many years successfully recording & producing overseas, as well havingh alot of International product released over the past 30 plus years on various overseas labels.
Mind you, the FBB ( Flying Burrito Bros) worked Europe solid for many many years, developing a very strong following throughout Europe, Japan, Australia etc.

All of this has helped me on my recent decision to tour solo, but it's taken many years of touring abroad & building enough ground interest to warrant bookers to book me today.
Playing Europe is very hard these days for newer acts. The gigs just aren't there like they used to be and promoters are very reluctant to pay to fly in acts from abroad, especially with the high costs of airfares these days.
Good luck, man. I hope youcan find a crack inthe door.
Cheers
JB
www.johnbeland.com

Erikr
April 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Hi John...

This is about 40 minutes from where i live..i might show up;) Perhaps take a look at your tele as well;)

John Beland
April 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Great Erik..see ya there!
JB

Dave Evans
April 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
There's a great interview with Freddy. Goggle on to Freddy Weller nashville city paper. Sorry, I don't know how to post the addresses so your on your own to find it. The article was done July 30, 2007.

ednew
April 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I really enjoyed that article--thanks for the heads up, Dave.

Hey John, have you got room for another "Hey" to Freddy Weller!?

I played lead back-up for him with my band Sundown at the Trenton NJ State fair back in the early 70's. Fun show--he's a great talent!

At that time I had a Bigsby palm pedal setup on my Tele and I remember Freddy really got a big kick out of that!

Thanks,
Ed

John Beland
April 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Sure will Ed. Freddy has always been a big bender fan. He used Clarence, Bob and later me all on his recordings. He still loves to talk about it!
JB
www.johnbeland.com

Telemarkman
April 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I will probably make it to one of your concerts in Kristiansand in june - I'm very much looking forward to it :cool: ...

Flat357
April 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hi John .
Hope you have a great time . Are you playing with the Bothers or backing an artist ?

garytelecastor
April 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks so much John. I appreciate the counsel. I guess we'll try for a tour of the greater Boundary Waters Canoe Area.:grin: :grin:

Just thought I would let you know but I still steal licks off of the Cool Breeze CD.

John Beland
May 1st, 2008, 12:33 AM
Telemarkman...Great. see ya there, buddy!

Flat357..No more FBB. Solo these days. Visit my website and check things out.
www.johnbeland.com
Thanks

Gary..You're most certainly welcome! Good luck!!
JB

John Beland
June 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Can't wait!!!
jb
www.johnbeland.com