$vboptions[bbtitle]

Does a lefty tele need special pickups?

BarryH
April 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I've been asked to fit a set of the Texas pickups into a MIM tele, problem the guitar is a lefty.

Will I need to order special pickups for a left handed guitar?

Barry

Jack Wells
April 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
No ........... if you look at the parts lists for the MIM Standard and the MIM Standard LH, you'll see they use the same pickups.

matt t
April 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
If you are talking about Texas Specials you are out of luck. The poles are staggered for a right handed guitar. Fender doesn't offer them in a left hand stagger. My wife had bought me a set, unfortunately I'm a lefty so I couldn't use them (not really sure how much it would have mattered if I installed them anyways). Had Van Zandt make me a lefty set. Same price, just had to wait a little longer. Most pickup companies will wind them lefty for you. There are plenty of pickups out there where the poles are staggered evenly. They work in lefty guitars with no problems.

KokoTele
April 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
it ain't the wind, but the magnet configuration. Flat pole pickups work fine. Staggered pole pickups or something like the Duncan Five-Two won't be set up right.

matt t
April 16th, 2008, 11:04 AM
it ain't the wind, but the magnet configuration

Sorry eryque, that's what I meant. That's why I mentioned the stagger of the pole. Here's what my Van Zandts look like staggered for my lefty MIM Strat. Definately would be a problem on a right handed guitar (who plays righty anyways?)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/mtal46/MattsCamera.jpg

matt t
April 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
BarryH, sorry but I actually opened my eyes and read your post correctly (I was thinking Strat instead of Tele). If you are talking about Fender Texas Specials they should work in the LH Tele just fine. I have a neck TS in my Tele that I like alot. I don't have the matching bridge, but I believe the poles are staggered evenly so it shouldn't be a problem. I promise to read before I type next time.

kludge
April 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry eryque, that's what I meant. That's why I mentioned the stagger of the pole. Here's what my Van Zandts look like staggered for my lefty MIM Strat. Definately would be a problem on a right handed guitar (who plays righty anyways?)

I have a bandmate who plays left-handed, strung upside-down. And she REALLY wants a Tele. I've been worrying that in order to sound right, she'll need a righty bridge on a lefty body, with the extra routing that entails.

BarryH
April 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Matt,

No problem, thanks for taking the time to reply anyway.

Barry

Jack Wells
April 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
So ....... what exactly would happen if you installed regular Texas Special pickups in a left-handed Telecaster? Will it result in a situation that can't be corrected by pickup height/saddle height/tone-control/amplifier adjustments? Is it going to sound bad?

Vizcaster
April 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM
In a Strat you could put them in flipped over 180 degrees so the polepiece stagger matches the strings - so long as you have enough routing underneath to clear the little bulge where the wires come out under the pickup - but in the bridge position of a telecaster the baseplate and mouting screws are assymmetric (three screws) so you can't just flip it over.

voided3
April 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Some people pay for reverse stagger "Jimi" sets of pickups so I'd imagine that the "incorrect" pole staggering is desirable to some. That or if you have a swimming pool/humbucker route and long enough leads, you could just install the pickups backwards (leads exiting towards the neck).

voided3
April 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
In a Strat you could put them in flipped over 180 degrees so the polepiece stagger matches the strings - so long as you have enough routing underneath to clear the little bulge where the wires come out under the pickup - but in the bridge position of a telecaster the baseplate and mouting screws are assymmetric (three screws) so you can't just flip it over.

YOU BEAT ME! :lol: :shock: