$vboptions[bbtitle]

What is YOUR gigging amp?

LemonLess
March 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Buying a tele recently got me back into playing, so I joined a band. Then it hit me...I only have a Line 6 15W :oops:. We have a spare solid state Crate, but the tone is pretty bad so unless you guys think a speaker upgrade could help revive that, I need amp suggestions. We'll be playing small gigs of course so I dont need an arsenal of marshall stacks or anything. The Blonde Blues Junior looks like a sweet amp that I definitely want to try...what about just micing it to the PA for larger gigs? Larger tube amps are over my price range. Anyways, feedback is appreciated :cool:.

SixString821
March 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM
i gig a '94 blues deluxe... great amp and you can find them used sometimes for around 400-500 dollars. built like a tank to.

i can say though that the blues junior is a real nice amp too

Rumble
March 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
If I'm playing the Tele it's an AC15 with a 20-watt Greenback in it.

If I'm playing the Les Paul it's the 2x12 tweed Blues Deville.

getbent
March 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Tone King Imperial or Musicman 210/75

one cost a whole bunch (worth it)

the other was 250.00 and sounds good enough!

the naked guitar player
March 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
go for the blues junior, if its got the sound you like. I found out that on "larger gigs" they always mic you to the PA, so you wont need anything bigger unless you have a very loud drummer.

raf
March 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
When I was gigging (before my tele days) I played thru a 900 Series Hi Gain Marshall half stack.

If I were gigging now, I'd take out my little Vox ad30vt.

Tim73
March 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
My completely over the top styled Blues Jnr meets all my needs

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/Tim_73/TontoAmp.jpg

bradpdx
March 16th, 2008, 10:32 PM
1965 BFDR with a JBL E120 speaker.

I bought it for $200 in 1985 and it sounded awful. I rebuilt it myself several times, tried different ideas. Right now it is close to the stock circuit with better resistors, a lower distortion phase splitter, Sprague orange drop caps and no brightness cap on the volume control. And that ridiculously heavy JBL.

It all worked out nicely. It is a little slice of perfection I have gigged with for over 20 years. Plenty loud, rings like a bell with a chrome-plated sound that is never harsh. Turn it up past 6 and it levitates.

shoebox22
March 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Blues Deluxe Reissue. Great amp for small clubs and party gigs. The Reissue has a few features that make it preferable to the old ones (easy tube biasing and external speaker jack).

beep.click
March 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Depends on the gig...

But I agree with the guys who have already mentioned the Blues Deluxe. Versatile, and really gets the job done.

Tim Armstrong
March 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I have a really sweet 1969 Princeton Reverb for my very occasional guitarist gigs (I play bass, usually), but as wonderful as it is, they aren't generally cheap anymore!

My brother gets VERY good results from a very affordable VOX AD30vt, he's put about a hundred gigs on his so far!

Cheers, Tim

rhinocaster
March 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM
A tweed deluxe gets the job done for me. I've never been happier with my tone.

tele_jas
March 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM
My gigging amps: Dr Z Stangray and/or Dr Z Mazerati.

Poppatwang
March 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Depending on horsepower I need.
ADA Rocket (10 watts?) Single EL34
18 watt Marshall clone.
Laney VC30.

T_red7882
March 17th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I gig with my twin reverb, but for what you're looking for, i'd heavily recommend a peavy classic 30. that amp is way underpriced and sounds damn nice.

Tim Armstrong
March 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I gig with my twin reverb, but for what you're looking for, i'd heavily recommend a peavy classic 30. that amp is way underpriced and sounds damn nice.

Absolutely!

Cheers, Tim

Paul in Colorado
March 17th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Most of the time it's a Mesa Boogie Studio .22+ with an Altec Lansing 417-8H speaker in it. I run it clean and use pedals for distortion. For larger gigs I favor a Fender Bandmaster Reverb head into a small Bassman style 2 X 12" closed back cab with JBL K-120's in it. I have other amps, but those are the two I used the most last year.

After re-reading your post, I have to agree that something like a Peavey Classic 30 would be a good amp for you. Or maybe a used Deluxe Reverb RI.

chabby
March 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Love those little Mesa Studio .22's. There is a used one at my local shop on consignment but he wants 699 for it. That was a 500 dollar amp brand new so I just can't pay that or I would have already had it home.

Good advice here so far Peavey CLasiic 30's were being blown out at guitar center recenty. Blues JR is solid too. As you say more likely than not all will be mic'd anyway.

Depending on gig I have the choice of 3 amps right now:

1. Bogner SHiva 1x12 80 watt EL34 combo sounds scary but it actually sounds very good at low volume too.
2.LIL Dawg D'Lux 25 watt 5E3 1x12 6V6 combo - great blues amp
3. Masters TVA 30 1x12 30 watt EL84 very similar to an AC30 but better reverb and better at low volumes

tiktok
March 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Mesa Subway Blues or Vox VR30 is how I'm rolling on the Tele gigs these days. They're always loud enough for me onstage, and we're mic'ed if it needs to be louder in the house.

NewOldStock
March 17th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Well I just got back into the band scene again about 6 weeks ago. I'm currently using a new Vox AC15 Custom Classic and my homebuilt Esquire & Strat.

The Vox AC15 and Peavey Classic 30 now carry the exact same price...$579-$599, depending on source. I prefer the sounds of either over Fender & Marshall, but that's just me. Both are single-channel amps, though the Classic 30 offers a "boost" feature, and is sometimes mislabeled a "2 channel", though it's only adding the gain stage of the second pre-amp tube for "boost". The Blues Jr i currently selling for $479 at MF...blonde or black.

eugenedunn
March 17th, 2008, 01:18 AM
http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/539/medium/Silver_and_Black_Attack_2.JPG

I use the 79 Champ for rehearsals and spankin' the plank at home. I'm dropping a Weber 8F125 in it next week. The original speaker in it is way weak and farty. The 69 Princeton Reverb has the sweetest tone and pushes a lot more air with it's Electrovoice Force 10 speaker. I'm having a 2x10 upright cabinet built for it.... slapping a couple of 1966 Jensen C10N's in there with some Weber Beam Blockers.

My guitar playing buddy in the band, has a 15-watt Blues Junior that more than holds it's own. We have a modest PA, considerate drummer , a bassist playing an EDEN Nemesis combo with 2x12 cabinet. And I used to use a 60-watt 4x10 Blues DeVille, but saw that it was overkill when my buddy with the Blues Junior had little problems staying with all of us.

So I recommend you getting that Blues Junior, putting a Weber Beam Blocker in it and substituting the V1 position tube with a 12AT7.

Geno

JohnnyCrash
March 17th, 2008, 02:40 AM
What kind of music?

Dirty sounds? My vote is for something with a lot of wattage (big, tight, bass - volume for all occassions) and a Master Volume control (manageable volume). Although many might disagree. Cleans? Perhaps a Deluxe Reverb.

It depends on too many things. Taste, the band's style, your style, etc. Taste makes for a gigantic array of amps and options... perhaps the style of music and the tone you're looking for while help us narrow your search down.

If you're planning on recording, all I can say is: get several amps.

Nick Fanis
March 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/KochStudiotone.html

My main gigging amp for over a year,killer sound and it weighs next to nothing!

klast
March 17th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Don't gig so much these days. Have used my Laney VC30 on a couple of gigs and it works nice with a Tele. It is foot switchable clean/overdrive and (nice) reverb on/off. The clean sound is Vox territory, but with a flavour of its own. The overdrive is quite good if you crank it a bit.

Klas

Axis29
March 17th, 2008, 07:04 AM
DRRI, covers all my bases.

Telenator
March 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Rivera Chubster 40 baby!

Two distinctly voiced channels in a deep 2/3 closed back cabinet covers everything from Creedence to Stone Temple Pilots and more. The most versatile amp I've ever played.

pc
March 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
For a couple years its been DRRI, but very recently its become my Budda Superdrive 30. Does Vox & Marshall tones equally well and loves my Tele and my Les Paul. It has been sitting in my studio for a year just as a recording amp, but after taking it out to a gig very recently it unseated the DRRI.

RomanS
March 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM
These days I usually use my JTM45-clone (built from a Weber 6M45 kit) into a cab loaded with 1x10" and 1x12" Eminence Legend speakers; I used to play through a Carvin Vintage 16 live, but found that it does not have the clean headroom I needed for my playing (and with some of the clubs I play you can't rely on them having a good monitor system, so miking is not an option).
My 2x KT66 loaded JTM45-clone probably has about 30 to 35 W, and I rarely need to turn the volume up above 9 o'clock - that gives me a full & warm, yet really clean tone (I prefer to get my OD from pedals, and I need a "clean clean" because I also play my lap steel through that amp) that is easily loud enough for hearing myself above the drums, without putting any guitar on the montors; at smaller clubs it is also easily enough to play without miking the guitar amp at all.

THe singer in my band, on the other hand, plays his Tele through a Fender Blues Jr. - loud enough for him, but then, he prefers a slightly dirty tone, and always mikes his amp (even at small clubs).

So, coming back to your original question: The 15 W Blues Jr. (BTW, why do you want to spend more for the blonde version - just for cosmetics?) will be quite enough for gigging if
-) you don't need a pristine clean tone with lots of heardroom
-) or (if you do need a clean tone) you are able to mike your amp all the time, and know that you will have adequate PA and monitor systems, as well as a capable person behind the mixer, availble at all the clubs you will be playing.

If you want to be on the safe side, also check out some amps in the 40-50 W range (those won't be a lot louder than a 15 W amp, but will have MUCH more clean headroom) - amps like the Peavey Classic 30, Kustom Defender, or Fender HotRod Deluxe won't cost much more than a Blues Jr., esp. if you are comparing them to the blonde BJr., or are also considering used amps.

tweedtone
March 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
gigs with rockabilly trio: tweed Deluxe clone

club gigs with variety band: Vox AC15CC w/Weber Blue Dog

big gigs with variety band: Vox plus '63 Deluxe Reverb w/EVM-12L

balls-out rockin' gigs: 1993 Blues Deluxe w/EVM-12L and if it ain't loud enough, somebody else needs to turn down

Califiddler
March 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I gig a Traynor YCV50 Blue. Look around and you can get one for about the same price as a Classic 30. Two real channels, EL34s, Celestion Vintage 30, etc. Or try the YCV40 or YCV40WR, which have 6L6s.

I basically traded up from a Classic 30 to the YCV50, and I prefer it. It's just a lot more amp for the money.

wierdOne
March 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
there are a ton of good little amps out on the market..... I've got a Blues Jr. that I'm going to upgrade the speaker on...

It's a great sounding amp, but doesn't have the headroom to play with some of the bands that I play with.... the speaker should help...

BUT...

I've got bigger amps for bigger venues... and louder settings....

wetland10
March 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I use a tweed Bassman 5F6A circuit that I had made for me as a head, into either a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet depending on playing indoors or outdoors. For me, this amp works at any level and is all I need. Sometimes it gets mic'd into a PA and I keep it low and let the sound tech work the overall volumes.

Wayne

maumari
March 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
For gigs I use my own built "Little Hell" from a madamp kit (A15mk1) with some mods. For clubs it's perfect, for greater spaces I mic it.
It's a 15W 2x6v6 combo, solid pine, celestion v30, 12at7 in the clean (very clean) channel and 12ax7 in the hot (so hot!), double tone stack, lot of bang, quiet and reliable, from blues to funk, panel with neons.
Only con: built with 2cm thick pine and the V30, it wheights a ton!

see it complete here
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/index.php?cat=20402

Ciao
Mauro

Doctorew
March 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Mesa Maverick. Very versatile and great tone. Gigged with it for 5 years without a breakdown.

Tylercaster
March 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I use a Hot Rod Deluxe. Even though I never use just the clean channel. I use the drive with low gain. It seems to warm the amp up just right for lower volume gigs. But this amp sounds best when its outside driving hard.

bradpdx
March 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Been seen before, but I just dig it:

http://homepage.mac.com/bradpdx/.Pictures/Guitar/1965_Deluxe.jpg

1965 with a big old JBL. Boatloads of chrome on the tone.

marksound
March 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I use a Hot Rod Deluxe. Even though I never use just the clean channel. I use the drive with low gain. It seems to warm the amp up just right for lower volume gigs. But this amp sounds best when its outside driving hard.

Me too. :)

Boogie
March 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Silverface Deluxe Reverb or SF Princeton Reverb. Great for Bakersfield-style Country. SF Twin in the unlikely event that I'll be playing a stadium gig.

You don't mention what style of music you play or what type of tone you're after, Lemonless.

IronJoe
March 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Vox AC15.

Robert H.
March 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
1975 SFPR---still available for reasonable ($750-900) price. They blow a Blues Jr or the new Reissues away IMHO.

Chito
March 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Depending on the size of the venue, either a Traynor YCV50 Blue with the YCX112 ext cab (Eminence The Governor), a Peavey Classic 30 (Weber Blue Dog speaker) with the 112SX ext cab (Blue Marvel) or Fender The Twin. I normally use the Twin when I need lots of headroom for clean playing.

EJG1
March 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I don't play out much; I use a DRRI when my band plays in the basement.

My son has a Rivera Chubser 55 and it covers all his gigging needs. But they aren't cheap.

nonvintage
March 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Maybe out of your price range, but you'll never need another amp. Unless AAS strikes. A Silverface Vibrolux Reverb Amp. This amp will work any size gig. Miked or not.

johnny7
March 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I use a Hot Rod Deville for gigs and wen I go to jams I just take my Vox AD50VT as I do not have to go through the hassle of lugging my pedal board with me.

On gigs I mic my HRD.

bo
March 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I use a Reverend Kingsnake combo and I have a 2x12 cabinet that I sometimes use with it. That gives me the option of 20 watts and a single 12 up to 60 watts and three 12s or any combination thereof. Combine that with the preamp that's switchable between a good BF and early Marshall and an "okay" tweed setting and I'm pretty much set.

xjazzy
March 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
DRRI.

Higgs F. Boson
March 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Early 90s Fender Concert. I admit it's way too loud, but my SFPR ain't quite loud enough...been eyeing a DRRI which would probably be about perfect.

Jim L
March 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Bang-for-buck: Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues.
I gigged with a Delta Blues (1x15 version) and found it to be a great match for my tele and my Heritage 535. For some reason I didn't like a strat thru it that much, though. They can be inexpensive and have a second channel if you need more crunch at lower volume. I stayed with the clean channel though.

The Blues Jr is 15 watts compared to the Peaveys I mentioned (both 30 watt amps). The Jr is inexpensive, more compact/lighter than the delta blues. It also has a master volume that let's you dial in more dirt at lower volumes.

For a bit more $$, the Deluxe Reverb reissue might be ideal. No master volume, so for more dirt, use an overdrive pedal. I personally prefer the tone over the Peavey or Blues Jr, but that's just my opinion.

The only thing about staying with a smaller 15 watt amp and mic'ing it is being sure your PA is going to cut it projecting your amp's sound. If they use a decent PA with plenty of power if needed, then it shouldn't be a problem.

sthebluesman
March 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
When I saw this post, I had to brag a little because I finally have gotten as close as I can for now (without spending a lot more money) to a signature sound or at least a classic sound. I take both an all original (except reconed original speakers) 1959 Bandmaster and an original 1966 Super Reverb with reconed original CTS Ceramics. This gives me a super combination from raunchy Tele blues to crisp clean Buddy Guy. My harp player uses my 1958 Tweed Harvard for that killer harp distortion. Some nights I don't even touch the Strat because my 1963 Tele is so versatile. If (and when) I have the money, I will buy a players '59 Bassman and possibly an original Twin (just dreaming). The vintage stuff definitely has the mojo no matter what anyone thinks on the contrary. I never know what kind of dream sound is going to come out from those babies from night to night and yes they are temperamental sometimes.

TwangoBango
March 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
The gig rig here closely resembles the one in post #36. It's a 1966 Fender Deluxe Amp (discontinued shortly thereafter) without the reverb. Replaced the orig speaker a few years back with a JBL D120F, which is a pretty efficient speaker - it seems louder and clearer now. Since there is no onboard reverb I use a Korg multieffect pedal. It's been adequate for every room I have played in.

andrenighthound
March 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Lil Dawg Champter (5f1) with a 12" webber ceramic speaker

I'm got another 5f1 and waiting for a 15" webber

i'm always micd

Acephspades
March 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Last year I finally bought my first PV Classic 30. I bought the head and use a Carvin 212 cab with Vin 30s and i really like it. These amps have been out since 91-92 and I've wanted one ever since. These were pretty popular amps with players for quite a while. I see why.

backalleyblues
March 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hot Rod Deluxe, using the clean channel only now, pedalboard in front. I got lucky with this one, mine has had no problems other than replacing worn out power tubes (200+ gigs will do that to tubes!) Again, like most others, it really depends on what style music you want to play-an HRDX will cover a LOT of bases and keep up easily with a loud drummer, like my current stick-man. YMMV, of course...

Franc Robert
Back Alley Blues Band

BellyBoy
March 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Trimmed and Burnin 59er... 2x12 one Weber alnico and one Weber Ceramic...
man do I love this amp!

DaBender
March 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Clubs will mostly see my newly acquired '61 Ampeg Reverberocket, though I could still use my Pro Jr. for grins on occasion. Outdoor parties will see my '64 Concert being used.

stxrus
March 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Reinhardt 18W 1x12 combo. i found my tone with this animal

steve

Jenix
March 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
+1 For the Vox AC15. Love it, and you can always mic it.

nic'o'caster
March 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Fender Prosonic combo for its clean tone to die for ! 60 watts is a bit too much but it has enough headroom for medium venues, even outdoor ones. A bit over the top for small gigs where a Blues jr does just great (with an efficient speaker, like a Weber ceramic blue dog...). The key is to know what you need : if you're looking for natural breakup from the amp, for a clean to bluesy tone, the Blues jr or Blues deluxe are great amps. Also, don't forget about the Deluxe Reverb, one of the best gigging amp ever. Keep in mind I'm thinking "clean with an edge" to "slightly overdriven" tones. Of course you will find dozens of amps better than those I mention for a little more money !

Smokin OP
March 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Valvetech Hayseed 30 usually at 15 watts. No pedal board, just volume & tone knobs.

Dave Hopping
March 17th, 2008, 11:54 PM
In March '80 I bought a Music Man 210-65.Over the years I've retired it in favor of a Mesa-Boogie Mk3,a Music Man 212-150HD,a Line6 AX2-212,and a Bassman LTD.Somehow the 210-65 always sneaks back into the gig.Small,light,loud,sounds great,and built like a tank.Ernie Ball REALLY needs to think about re-issuing Music Man amps.

slauson slim
March 18th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Smaller: SF Princeton, but miked for big showroom gig last night. MOD 10-70 speaker.

Bigger: Custom Vibrolux Reverb. MOD 10-50 and Jensen RI C10Q speakers.

Les Paul: JCM 900 2x12 50w combo. Celestion G12H and Vintage 30 speakers.

giginthesky
March 18th, 2008, 12:22 AM
if it helps... i have a twin, a 68' bassman, a marshall, a princeton, and a few other amps. to be honest, i take my blues jr out with me more than anything. it's an original usa model, it's easy to carry and it's pedal friendly. i like it.

jh45gun
March 18th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I suspect in the future it will be the 5f4 head I am in the process of building if all goes well with a 2x12 cab. My 5e3 head with the same 2x12 cab could handle the chores as well miked if needed or run it to a slave amp for more power.

Michaell
March 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
small stage > Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb or Deluxe Reverb

big stage > Fender Dual Professional

Jef
March 18th, 2008, 03:40 AM
1969 Bandmaster reverb and 70 watt ultralinear Pro reverb.
I stopped lugging that gigantic closed back 2x12 BMR cab around and use the Pro as a speaker cab with a spare amp in it.

4 Strings
March 18th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Whaddiya mean "over the top styled"? :mrgreen:

Great looking amp!

LemonLess
March 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I found someone selling a Blues Deluxe Reissue (w/ speaker upgraded to Celestion G12M-70) for $450...Think I should still take a trip to Guitar Center and try some other amps out? Or just jump on the deal asap? Or not even consider it?

Edit: Also, found a Vox AC15 with a nice case for $450...

tele1
March 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
With my Tele........Best sound I have ever had on a gig........

Big White Tele
March 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
1964 Deluxe Reverb, or a HRDX, large- Dual Pro.

jjh37854
March 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Dr Z Mazerati 2-10

2-3 years now, never looked back

garytelecastor
March 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Fender twin BF; Peavey Classic 50 410; Roland Cube 60; depends on the gig.
Lately I have been using 2 amps on stage on some gigs.

12ax7
March 21st, 2008, 12:05 AM
My gigging amp is an early 1990's-era "red-knob" Fender Super 60.

60W (2 6L6). Amazing clean channel, distortion channel is a little weird(designed by Paul Riviera, so it sounds more like a Mesa when really cranked) - takes a bit of getting used to.

It's notorious for being horrendous to service/repair, but I've never had any problems with it. It's built extremely tough, and weighs a ton (around 60 lbs).

unbridled
March 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
My guitar rig has changed a lot over time but "ole reliable" is my Princetion Chorus. It's been through hell and back and keeps on coming back for more. It's solid state and the overdrive tone is not good but the clean tone is very nice and I can use pedals to dirty it up. It always goes to the gigs, even if I don't plan on using it. It is just too reliable with usable tone and decent volume. I like my Music Man HD150 as well although it doesn't have on board reverb. In fact, Music Man amps could be some of the best buys in the "almost vintage" class. The pre-amp section is solid state, but the tube power amp section warms them up a bit.

petebradt
March 21st, 2008, 01:37 AM
http://guitarpete.net/images/billie.jpg

This one for bars. Kitty not included.

http://guitarpete.net/images/super3.jpg

This one for bigger gigs. I built this one.

teleman55
March 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM
SFDR, usually with a tubescreamer or SD-1, chorus or vibe, delay and sometimes octavia and a lot of the time they're all off. When i need more volume, an early SF Pro Reverb. I love the sound of a Deluxe on about 7! My change of pace amp is halfway between these two, very affordable and it sounds great. It's a Crate V32 Palomino.

teleman55
March 21st, 2008, 02:08 AM
SFDR, usually with a tubescreamer or SD-1, chorus or vibe, delay and sometimes octavia and a lot of the time they're all off. When i need more volume, an early SF Pro Reverb. I love the sound of a Deluxe on about 7! My change of pace amp is halfway between these two, very affordable and it sounds great. It's a Crate V32 Palomino.

teleman55
March 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
oops!

petesguitar1
March 21st, 2008, 02:18 AM
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (clean only)

Ceriatone BF Vibrochamp

Full compliment of pedals

RumorsofsurF
March 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
Depends upon the gig....

Small gig:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/nolan83/HPIM0479.jpg

Hot Rod Deluxe

Bigger gig:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/nolan83/HPIM2011.jpg

'71 SF Twin...

Scotland
March 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Absolutely!

Cheers, Tim

Another "absolutely" from here too.

Scotland
March 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
My gig rig is a Boogie Mk lll with EVM12L, it gets me "my" tone like no other amp can.

Durtdog
March 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Lil Dawg 18 watt or a Twin reverb. Doesn't really depend on how much power I need, more about what I'm playing with whom and whether I want clean or crunch. I got the '68 Twin a couple of months ago, haven't had one in years, and I'm really enjoying the clean power.

hal
March 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Goodsell Super 17. Three knobs and the truth.

Tele295
March 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
A Silverface Vibrolux Reverb Amp. This amp will work any size gig. Miked or not.

BINGO!!!!!!!!

I've been using my SFVR with 2x10 Celestions for a couple of years now, and it is just the perfect gigging amp for anything from intimate coffee houses to outdoor carnivals and street fairs or noisy bars. Any time that I bring something bigger (and the VR is only 35 watts), it's been too much power and I've regretted it. I don't use a bunch of pedals and stuff - the tone is perfect right out of the box.

The Vibrolux Reverb is the classic Tele player's amp a la Gatton, Buchanan, et al.

Read the biography pages in the back of the Fender Amp book by Teagle & Sprung. INteresting epiphany about the Vibrolux Reverb

kludge
March 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Trace-Elliot Velocette. 2xEL84, Celestion Vintage 10 speaker, 1 volume and one tone knob. Weighs about 30 pounds and looks cool too. Been my main amp for many years.

If I ever have time to work on amps again, though, I'll be moving to a tweed deluxe clone and a rebuilt '68 Dual Showman.

Mike H.
March 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Generally I use a '95 Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb for small or medium venues. I use a '66 Super Reverb for large venues, or outdoor gigs.
Sometimes I rotate in a Peavey Classic 50 410+115E expansion cab, or a Delta Blues 115+212 Classic expansion cab. I recently acquired a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone and will probably use that in the right venue.

Teleglide
March 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Small clubs - Headstrong Lil King (Princeton Reverb clone)
Larger clubs - 64 Deluxe Reverb w/ an Altec 417 8C speaker
Big venues or outdoors - SF Bassman head, 1x12 cab w/ a Weber 12F150

KoskineN
March 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm using a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo here! I always wanted a very versatile amp and the Roadster is a dream come true! Fender-like clean(tweed mode), great Marshallish crunch ans BIG Mesa distortion! And my Tele sounds really sweet with it! But it's so heavy to carry around...oh well! :-)

pickinpete
March 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Peavey Classic 30 ... I run a chord from the effects send to my sub mixer, then out to the PA.

Pepi
March 21st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Been seen before, but I just dig it:

http://homepage.mac.com/bradpdx/.Pictures/Guitar/1965_Deluxe.jpg

1965 with a big old JBL. Boatloads of chrome on the tone.

And you should :wink:

Tanya's
March 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM
Traynor YCV 20 modified with a celestion Vintage 30 speaker and an ext. speaker jack to run another 1x12 with another Vintage 30 if needed.
For more horse power, a Peavey Classic 50 4x10

Freedom Fries
March 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
bradpdx and eugenedunn, me like!!!!!

Here's mine, either a '75 or '77 SFTR for pedal steel/Tele gigs...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix/397_twins2_1.jpg

also a '63 Bassman or a Blues Jr.....

Ron C
March 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
When I started gigging again in 2003 after a 20 year break it was a Hot Rod Deluxe. Then downsized to a Blues Jr., then a Traynor YCV40, then 1 or 2 Blues Jrs.

Lately it's been a Gibson GA5, or if I need to bring out the big iron :-) my remaining Blues Jr.

asatfan
March 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Well, I don't suppose this will peak anyone's interest....I've been using a Crate Vintage Club 30 for probably 12 or 13 years. Paid $400 for it new, put in a Weber California. It's a class "A" amp and always sounds good. Have re-tubed it several times, other than that, no problem. I've had many "good" amps, BFSR and SFT, and even a couple that I'm embarrased to say I traded away....but, the Crates been a great little investment. I get alot of compliments on my "tone".

J. Hayes
March 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
I work with several band configurations in my local area on both guitar & pedal steel. My favorite guitar rig would be my MusicMan HD-one fifty twin twelve hybrid or my Peavey MX 1-12 hybrid (I have two of these). I do a restaurant gig each Saturday night which requires some more variety so on that gig I use a Peavey Classic Chorus 2-12 as it's got a nice clean noise free sound with a great sounding on board chorus.

We do an oldies Rock & Roll gig once a month in which I use an old Kustom 250 piggy back amp with a 4-12 cabinet. The whole things covered in blue sparkle tuck & roll. Just plug a Les Paul in this thing, turn up the reverb & tremolo, and you've got that old "swampy" Creedence Clearwater tone! I have two of the 4-12 cabinets but rarely use them both.

For pedal steel my main amp is an old Randall Steelman 500 with a 15" JBL which really kicks butt. It's very loud with a lot of clean headroom and punch which you need on steel. Occasionally if the gig calls for more of a west coast Ralph Mooney sound I'll use the MusicMan amp for that.

I also have a small Randall RG-80 solid state amp with a 12" ElectroVoice speaker which is an amazing sounding little jewel. When I went to California last year I took it with me as it was small and I could use it for guitar or steel and it would work well either way.

I have some others but that's what I use on a regular basis....JH in Va.

Fret Melter
March 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM
bradpdx and eugenedunn, me like!!!!!

Here's mine, either a '75 or '77 SFTR for pedal steel/Tele gigs...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix/397_twins2_1.jpg

also a '63 Bassman or a Blues Jr.....

That SFTR looks like heaven!! I played through an early seventies Twin Reverb a couple months back with my Tele, and it was the best sounding amp I've ever heard!!! I love Silver-face TR's!!!!!

Tony474
March 26th, 2008, 06:46 AM
For the general run of work I do, I'm more than happy with solid-state in conjunction with either my pedalboard or more often a perfectly satisfactory old Zoom 2020 multi-effects unit with carefully-edited patches.

Mostly I use my Tech 21 Trademark 60, sometimes my Roland Blues Cube BC-60 1 x 12 and if I can't be arsed to take either of those I'll just use the newer Cube 60 for smaller gigs. Volume's never a problem, especially with the TM60, but if need be I can just slave it up through the PA via its voiced XLR line out.

If a bit of cred is called for, or as an occasional treat to myself, I'll wheel out my beautiful old Music Man 112RP-100 with its EV speaker, but it's far too good for most of my audiences.

billygoat
March 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I use a mesa boogie .50 caliber +. Always enough volume available and not too physically large or heavy (compared to a twin/super/ac30)

WrapAround
March 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Power Scaled JMJ30 or '62 Deluxe.

yelserpdog
March 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM

That's badass!!! Where did you get the leather work done? Was it ere in the UK?

I use my trusty Laney VC15 for everything. I don't ever use the dirty channel though, just the clean one with pedals for my dirt.

CatfishStudios
March 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
59 Bassman LTD custom shop relic..with a tubescreamer..and thats it
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7886/hpim0294sz0.jpg

Middleman
March 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
-81 Vibrolux for large rooms. Master volume control added.
-Fender Blues Deluxe 2007 for everything else including recording.

All with a 72 tele custom.

Doug Ferguson
March 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Don't gig a lot anymore, but when I do it's an Epi Blues Custom 30. It's got a lot of versitility and vibe, especially with the 15w/30w application. Tonally, it covers the bases pretty well, particularly the 15w setting -- sparkling highs, creamy mids, thumpy bass, all mixable with a pretty decent onboard EQ. And I've always loved the BIG sound of 2 12" speakers.

March 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I rarely gig anymore.
But when I do...............

Re-tubed EV Jr. (NOS Sylvania 5751 & NOS GE EL84).
EarCandy open-backed 1 x 12 cabinet with....VERY lucky find.... NOS 1956 Quincy "top hat" alnico speaker.

Steve

david henman
March 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
NOW: traynor ycv15blue - a fifteen watt el84 combo that is the best sounding amp i have ever owned.

THEN;

tech 21 trademark 60, sold to finance:

line six flextone, the first (heavily hyped) modeling amp. :oops:

quickly returned, upgraded to:

fender hot rod deluxe, which got stolen, so i bought:

fender blues jr...tried for five years to make this sound like an amp,

fianlly swapped it for:

traynor ycv40wr, an absolutely flawless amp, but then i discovered the joys of playing through a low wattage tube combo (see "NOW").

in the meantime, i managed to snag a used tech 21 trademark 60 to replace the one i stupidly sold. it is my number one recording amp.

-dh

wierdOne
March 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
http://guitarpete.net/images/super3.jpg

This one for bigger gigs. I built this one.

Is that 2 10's? what's the story on both those amps? they look awesome... :)

petebradt
March 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Is that 2 10's? what's the story on both those amps? they look awesome... :)

THe Deluxe is one Clay Hullett built for me 10 years ago. I built the Super (2x10) last year.

PostoronnimV
March 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Tiny Terror with Avatar 2x12 cab

harry the filter
March 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Dr Z Maz 18 210 since 2005. For larger shows I take 2 of them. Incredibly versatile and loves pedals. I've been thinking of getting a Z28 for the EF86 preamp and paring it with a Jr, so if anyone has an extra Z28 lying around and would like to trade for a Maz jr...

Radspin
March 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I use a '65 Princeton Reverb with a re-issue Jensen C10-Q speaker for most gigs. I ply with a six-piece classic rock band and we try to keep the volume down (except when the keyboard player gets out of hand in the last set, a usual occurrence). I've even used this amp on outdoor gigs, and we don't mike the instruments--we set our own levels. The amp gets surprisingly loud--I rarely turn it up past four or five.

For bigger rooms and some outdoor gigs I use a small-box Bandmaster cabinet with reissue Jensen C-12Ns and either a '64 Bandmaster head (these amps are really rich and sweet sounding and perhaps underrated) or a late '60s (I think) non-master-volume Dual Showman Reverb head that's been blackfaced. With that head and the Bandmaster bottom, there's never a lack of needed volume :-}.

I use pedals to get distortion--a Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET for crunch rhythm and a Fulltone OCD for leads--sometimes running the Fulldrive into the OCD if I want over-the-top sustain for something like the solo in Pink Floyd's "Time."

Tony474
March 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
In addition to the stuff I described earlier, I've just scored one of these at a very good price indeed on UK eBay:

http://www.dennischandler.com/img/assets/1019/l3.JPG?l3.JPG

Purely a speculative purchase based on hearsay but when it arrives I'll see if it's any good and gig it if so.

I also just bid successfully for a Roland BC-60 3 x 10 Blues Cube to go with my present 1 x 12.

All I need now is a few more gigs...

octatonic
March 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
1962 Fender Bassman with 1/2 power switch.
2x12 Marshall with V30's.

Tony474
March 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Love that sig (and know the feeling :wink:)! Haven't forgotten about your kind offer re the Kinman guitars, Jim, and will be in touch. Cheers, Tony.

BluesOwl
March 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM
15 watts (fave for over 10 years)
http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/539/My_Sonic_Savior.jpg

Now Ahm gonna put it in a head cab and use an Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30 + Alnico Blue @ 4 Ohms

nsbluesman
April 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Old Traynor Yba-1 converted to 5F6 with 5881's into a 4X10 Haggerty Cab.. sometimes I get adventurous and throw in a boss SD-1 modded to fulldrive.:grin:

That's it..

Cheers

73blonde
April 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Top Hat Club Deluxe or Bogner Duende

AnArmyOfJuan
April 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
for years I used a modified '67 Bassman head through a 2X12. thing is, it only does distortion, but that was fine back then, since I was basically playing punk. interestingly, when I took it in to Egnater last year, he told me that it was only putting out 18 watts. I never had a problem with volume.

now that I'm back to playing guitar, after a long stretch playing bass and/or drums, I'm gigging with a '61 Ampeg Reverberocket that was actually found in the trash! my tech cleaned it up, re-tubed it, and I think I may like it better than even a BFDR! 15 watts, 1X12. can't see that I would need more power than that. need it louder? mic it.

WaysideRickNJ
April 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
For "normal" electric band gigs, I gig a Mesa-Boogie Blue Angel 1x12 combo, running it on the 2x6V6 setting for 15 Class A Watts.

For smaller gigs (duo/coffeeshop gigs), I gig an early Silverface Champ, 100% stock.