$vboptions[bbtitle]

Stain or Tinted Clear

jimd
March 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'm thinking about doing a build using transparent red, something like this

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0110500738_md.png

Since I don't have a sprayer and will use rattle cans, I think I have two options.

1) stain it red and then clear it

or

2) use the duplicolor metalcase/krylon x-metals red as a tint and clear over it once I get the look I want.

Any thoughts?

boris bubbanov
March 15th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I'd go with the transparent stain, of the two choices.

The red rattle cans you describe are meant to produce an opaque result. Although deep reds can take several coats to get a real even opaque coverage, I'd be expecting to get blotchy or uneven coverage, trying to use those for a trans finish. Edit: Jack says no and he knows these products better than me.

Check Mohawk, and see if they have any rattle can 'toners' you like. Their ' deep red mahogany' is quite dark, but more in the brown spectrum, not a true red.
www.mohawk-finishing.com

Stuco
March 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Either way should work if you take enough care. I would be sure that the clear you use is compatable with the other finishes you use though.

Jack Wells
March 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
The red rattle cans you describe are meant to produce an opaque result.

I must respectfully disagree. Both of the above referenced reds are tinted clears. The original intention of both was to tint chrome automobile parts.

Levee_Breaker
March 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
If it were me, I'd dye or stain the bare wood, the clearcoat it. Just make sure the dye/stain you use is compatible with whatever clearcoat you use.

Aniline dye and alcohol based stain works under anything.

Jack Wells
March 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I've used the ColorTone liquid dyes from StewMac mixed with alcohol. See my Thinline thread in the main forum.

Levee_Breaker
March 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I've used the ColorTone liquid dyes from StewMac mixed with alcohol. See my Thinline thread in the main forum.

Bingo. They're as good as anything, and made for the purpose.