(Cosmetic) Speaker cabinet overhaul! Help!!! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Tech Center
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Tech Center A more focused discussion of Amplifier Mods, Tubes, Speakers, Cabs and such.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

(Cosmetic) Speaker cabinet overhaul! Help!!!

So here i am laying in bed, staring at what once was a ss crate gx-60 1x12 combo (aka, the boat anchor). long story short, the amp quit on me. as i have many amp heads, and no 12" speaker cab, i decided to convert it to a cab. i have hooked up a 1/4" female jack to the speaker, and mounted it to the cab. so, i'm done.. right? well i thought so too. i have an orange micro terror, and love the way it sounds through this cab. but the cab is old, and has been beaten (my neighbor gave it to me and it was his main rig for a number of years). it's a bit of an eyesore, IMO. so i've decided to just go ahead and overhaul this cab. new tolex, grill cloth, replacing the plastic corner protectors with black metal ones, and (this idea is still being worked out in my head) turning it into a (i suppose you could say..) convertable. meaning, cut a piece of plywood to cover the back, tolex it, and use a couple of hinges and maybe a latch to make it a closed OR open back cab. maybe even a speaker upgrade in the future (but for now the "crate custom design" speaker is good enough for me). i have a good source (i think..) for the orange tolex. but i cant seem to find any basket weave grill cloth on the net that matches (or comes close to) the grill cloth on my orange ppc108 cab. does anyone have any advice on where i can find the grill cloth orange uses on their cabs? if not the kind orange uses, maybe something that won't look completely different sitting next to my ppc108? also, this will be the first time i will have done a cab overhaul. if anyone has any tips, tricks, or advice to make the process easier, or make my end result look more professional, PLEASE feel free to let me in on it

on a side note, please don't advise me to "just buy a new speaker cab", or question why i want to do this. for two reasons. 1: this is a labor of love. modding, tweaking, or customizing my gear is a passion of mine. and 2: all things considered, i will save a lot of money doing this rather then buying an orange branded 1x12, and feel a sense of pride everytime i look at or play through it.

please, thanks, and have a rocking day

p.s. any advice on what to use to stick the tolex to the cab? i've been thinking elmers glue (but i feel that would get messy and give a not so professional look to the finished product), or maybe a glue stick, though i doubt that would prove very durable over time. again, i'm very new to refinishing cabs, some of my ideas may be stupid, but i am open to constructive criticism, so please be kind.

Diy mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Try this for grill cloth, it may be what you are looking for.
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/am...ill-Cloth-58-W

Mojotone also carries Tolex glue called Mojotone TruGlu that is waterbased. I have much better luck with solvent based adhesives.
cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

thanks cigarman! that looks pretty convincing. i love the look of the orange cabinets, but man i really don't like the price.
Diy mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 5th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I build cabs...for me it's always been faster/cheaper to build a new cab, but I have the tools and woodworking experience...but I didn't when I started out...so, real simple advice: decide what you need or want... It's always copying something, so if you like that speaker box, find a friend with a saw, if no experience building cabinets , cut to size and use drywall screws and Elmer's...brace it like the one you are copying...if its an open-back..the one you build should be... If you change it, you'll have to "port" it... So...copy what you know you liked the sound of.... If you don't want to upholster, use that spray on Bed liner from Walmart it will be tough... If it gets gouged, tape it off and spray it again....dudes you play with will think you're a genious.
Drjayz is offline   Reply With Quote