Marsh Amps - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Marsh Amps

I was at a playing last night when my phase inverter tube went out on my Tweaker 40 (is this a sign of things to come?). A guy brought his Marsh Bassman Clone head to let me use. That thing sounded so good. Does anyone have experience with that amp? Do they all sound that good?

Old December 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

There are precious few reviews of Mike Marsh's amps. I ordered one by seeing the Utube videos of guitar demos from Wolfe guitars. Every one sounded very good to my ears. His prices are lower than most builders, so I figured, why not try one.

He is shipping me his Big Texan (SRV Vibroverb clone). I get it in a couple of weeks. I'll report on it when I get it.
Petimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I haven't played one of their amps, but I have ordered parts from them before and will say that it was A++ Customer Service.
twangjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have no experience with Marsh but haven't read anything negative either. However, just because a tube went on your amp doesn't mean it has problems. Tubes die, it happens. You need spare tubes if you're going to play a tube amp, not having them is like driving your car without a spare tire, you're asking for trouble.

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The Marsh Big Texan sounds GREAT!! I've had it a little over a week and at least in practicing with it, I found a good sound at many lower volume levels. It is everything I wanted so far.

I get a few gigs next week with a Jazz trio and 60s Country band, so we will see how it goes in the band settings, but my guess is very well. I can't wait to try it.
Petimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I haven't played an amp that Mike has built himself, but I have bought two amp kits from him that I built myself (Vibro Champ and 5F1 Champ). I've have seen his work, however, and it is top notch. He is great to deal with if you are thinking about building your own amp too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his amps, most of which are clones of classic amps with a few tweaks to fix issues with the original design.

For the price of Fenders current circuit board amps, you can get a handwired amp made like they used to make them in the 50's and 60's.
Martini24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hello! I just got a used Marsh Vibrolux Reverb in near mint condition for a ridiculously low price...I HAD to buy it! All point to point, hand-wired, for half the price of a PCB Fender custom Vibrolux RI. So far I'm very impressed, it sound very lush and authentic. I guess being used, it is well broken in.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a Marsh clone of a Fender Tremolux with the 5e9a and it is quite loud... and the tremolo on it is excellent. Mike was quite gracious.... I would not hesitate to recommend his amps.
Rodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm in the LP tweed twin club now, an unbuilt Marsh kit showed up on a CL type listing for a low price of $500 asking, and sold for $425, a buddy did the purchase for me and brought the amp kit back to my province for me. I haven't built an amp kit for several years, Allen Accomplice last build, but tweed chassis are lot tighter to work with compared to BF chassis. The LPTT build had some birthing pains as I added a bias pot ala Ceritone's layout and had one cold solder joint on that pot. As I just finished last night, I haven't had a lot of time in on the amp yet, but I do like the starting tones with stock 12ay7s in V1, V2 and V3. Vintage glass may help for power tubes. The kit came with a lacquered cab, but the speakers are ceramic Jensen C12Qs. Those speakers may have to go and be replaced with alnicos, maybe the new Eminence EJ's.
For the dollar outlay, this may be a real good amp. I upgraded to Heyboer trannies, especially because the concern was the stock PT didn't really have the dual rectifier 6amp draw spec and I went to the big HPTT output trannie. This added $235 to the build cost, but I got such a deal on the kit that I thought upgrading the transformers was not as much of a concern cost wise. No pics or clips yet, but I'll try and add them after finding what guitars work best with this amp.

As for the original post on the Tweaker 40, Phase inverter tubes are the hardest working tube in an amp, and they can fail as a result. Check your voltages and try and meet the spec for that design.
Capn Rory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Marsh 5G9 Tremolux

Anyone heard one of these yet? I am intrigued, love Deluxe tone but want a tad more headroom, and his prices are insanely good for handwired work.
P90Freak87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a low powered Tweed Twin with Weber Sigs. I swapped out the power transformer for the reason stated above-it's been made standard now. It is the best sounding amp I've ever heard when it's cranked. It's also the quietest 40 watt amp I've ever heard-not what you would expect for volume. I don't think this is Mike's fault-just the nature of the beast.

The build quality is excellent. The insides and cabinet work look like a bou-teek amp should. These are Mojo kits, so if you've dealt with them you know the quality level of the parts.
0018g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

My first, and only, build was a Marsh Champ. The build was easy and the instructions very clear. He was incredibly fast on any kind request. I hadn't played guitar in 25 years. When I turned it on and played something, it was like I was clobbered on the head with warmth and compressed. A truly lovely machine.

He deserves more money, more fame, more business, and more love. Great guy to do business with.

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Mike Marsh is a class act with a real knack for building great sounding amps and standing behind them. Customer support is second to none, Mike fixed an amp for me absolutely free and installed better input jacks than came with it, the reason I'm pumping his name you ask, well I bought this amp used off of craigslist and there was no warranty. Mike took care of it no questions asked, it's the best sounding 5f11 circuit I've yet to hear. I don't know what he does but it's more than slapping parts together, he provides a product that will get you what you want. I wish I could afford one of everything he builds
gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I own the Marsh 63 brownface vibroverb with the 2 tens. A very powerful amp. I love the tube bias tremolo. I would buy from him again. He builds nice amps at affordable prices
Boltneck is offline   Reply With Quote