The Excelsior Lounge - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Guitar Pickups

Forum Jump

Old April 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Cool beans drdos, I'm completely ready to recieve mine, But It will have to be manana..

Do you think it's strong enough to cut through a 4 pc rockin blues band, unmiced?

Extra Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Crispy View Post
Cool beans drdos, I'm completely ready to recieve mine, But It will have to be manana..

Do you think it's strong enough to cut through a 4 pc rockin blues band, unmiced?
I do but then again my band mates tell me that I play too hard so amp wattage for me never matters. I swear they whine your guitars too loud. Last gig I was playing through a Fender Pro Reverb on the 12Watt setting. Vol at about 3 all night long I'm getting turn it down from the bass player who plays through a 250Watt SS G&K head... Anyway, sorry for the rant. Yes I believe you could get by with this amp in a band situation..
drdos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My good buddy Dakota Dean just uploaded a demo of the Excelsior for harp and vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I did a double post, please remove, sorry.
Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Day 4 of mine. Finally got to crank up it way up last night. I, too, was a bit surprised by the amount of clean headroom, but I'm very happy with that. It seems to be quite a bit of amp for the money. No regrets. All my guitars seem to like it. The Dano neck pup and some slide was nice when it was turned up enough to get some dirt.
Pointmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Another video I haven't seen posted here yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbMxJmuyRjg
Pointmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

just put a Tung Sol 12AX7 in v1 and it really opened her up. Beautiful, shimmery cleans, breaks up a bit sooner than stock tubes too. This thing just keeps getting better
steve v is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ok, difficult question , as I fully understand most owners are in testing / honeymoon period ;)

I cannot play an amp at lower vols without a dab of verb. And I mean just a dab - nothing noticeably 'wet'.
My problem. Understood. But I cant change it ;)

I accept the 'rule' dictates that amp breakup sounds awful with reverb in front, and my experiences thus far lead me to believe this is an universal 'truth' .

So, gassing that I am for an Excelsior - has any one tried it fully cranked with a 'verb pedal in front?
How did it sound?

or:

Assuming I am unlikely to crank a 13 Watt Tube amp (way loud enough for me, esp. with a 15", I'm sure)
How much clean headroom is there? - i.e. could I keep it clean and pretty loud, thus get away with a lightly set verb pedal, and mayble step on an OD pedal for my (relatively) lower volume dirt instead?

I wouldn't want 'verb for natural grind, if the Excelsior already gets way loud before that break up point, as any room would likely provide enough for me by that point.

Any thoughts?
telepath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Haven't tried it with a reverb pedal but there really is a fair amount of clean headroom.
steve v is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Had mine up around 1/2 with a Fulltone Choral/Flange on and it sounded excellent with my Jag plugged in and the amp set to the Dark setting..

Old April 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a "Hall of Fame" reverb that sounds excellent with my other amps, I expect it will be no different with the EX. I just have to get home from work and hope I didn't miss the Fed Ex guy....

Old April 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdos View Post
I do but then again my band mates tell me that I play too hard so amp wattage for me never matters. I swear they whine your guitars too loud. Last gig I was playing through a Fender Pro Reverb on the 12Watt setting. Vol at about 3 all night long I'm getting turn it down from the bass player who plays through a 250Watt SS G&K head... Anyway, sorry for the rant. Yes I believe you could get by with this amp in a band situation..
Rant accepted and understood. Perhaps just the shear beauty of the Excelsior will calm the beast in your bassplayer.

Old April 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Crispy View Post
Rant accepted and understood. Perhaps just the shear beauty of the Excelsior will calm the beast in your bassplayer.
She is a women, an art teacher, and blond.... I don't think there is any help....

Old April 20th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody else trying theirs with a steel guitar? I have found that this is a great amp for clean steel sounds. I had a Fender Twin and the steel didn't sound nearly as good through that, is it does with this one. More to like about this amp as each hour goes by. Helluva honeymoon period! LOL!
tele salivas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 03:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

None of you are helping my GAS.

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

I think one of these is in my near future.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Have any Excelsiors made it to Canada yet? I want one!

Old April 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

OK, so after three days of experimenting with different tubes in the Excelsior I am finally thoroughly satisfied. Don't get me wrong this amp is sweet stock, but the drastic change between Dark/Bright was driving me nuts. The Dark just seemed too dark and the bright just too bright with my Tele's which I mostly play. So, here's the combo that I am happy with. I changed the Sino 6V6GT's out for EH-6V6GT's not a Major improvement in itself but it did quiet the amp more and gave it a little more chime. I took out the Tung Sol 12ax7 from V1 (which originally replaced the Sino 12ax7b and got rid of the occasional popping noise) and put the Tung Sol into V2. Then I put a JJ 12ax7s into V1. The amp is QUIET even on the bright channel. I am able to get tube breakup at around 50% max vol. The Dark channel has come alive and is a little brighter. With a little more dirt in the clean the bright channel is not so bright now and a lot less hiss is coming through. OK, so until Billm comes out with some awesome mods I can gig this amp and feel satisfied with the tone coming out. Cheers...

Old April 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Can someone give a rough comparison between the sound and volume of the Excelsior and some other amps? Say, Blues Junior, Princeton, AC15, etc...
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I got one in today and played it for about 30 minutes. Anybody notice any buzz/rattling in theirs?
Whoa Tele is online now   Reply With Quote