Peavey Tube Amp Club - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Peavey Tube Amp Club

Introducing the Peavey Amp Club for owners/users of Peavey amps with tube technology, including all-tube versions and hybrids containing a solid-state preamp. A short list of Peavey tube amps includes: Bravo, Classic, Delta Blues, Encore, Mace, and Windsor. Several Peavey model specific clubs have started, and stalled, so hopefully those members will join us, here.

Please share information, stories, and photos if you will.

The Encore 65 (all tube) arrived at my doorstep with what appeared to be the original tubes, and a footswitch. It likes single coils, humbuckers, and pedals. This amp has been compared to the Fender Twin in sound, and weighs a hefty 49 lbs. There are 6 tubes total, (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7, and (2) 6L6GC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube Tone.jpg
Views:	4551
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	122435  

Old April 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I want to be a member one day, that is, an owner of a Peavey tube amp. I hadn't thought to shop for older models that are no longer in production; I'll have to think about that. I have been sorely tempted by a Delta Blues, though...or maybe a C30...

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've got a late 70s Classic VT 50 watt 4x10. Solid state preamp and 6L6s in the power amp. Fantastic sounding amp (especially when you consider I only paid $130 for it).

(not my amp, but mine's identical except for casters on the bottom)
storyboards27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a basement full. Pics are available for some but not all. Here's a list:

2 Bravos

VTM 60

Triumph 120

Classic 30

5150 Combo

I'd like to have an original all-tube Classic and a few of the modern Classics, as well as a Triple X, but I kinda buy 'em as I can afford 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a tweed covered Classic 50 with 4-10"s in it with a home built extension cabinet with matching tweed covering and a single 15" Black Widow speaker in it. sounds and looks great.

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've been contemplating Peavey tube amps for a while, models that are currently in production, such as the Delta Blues (2x10s? 1x15?) or a C30. I have test-driven a C30 and a C50 (4x10) in a local store at different times, and I played a friend's LP through his son's ValveKing 112. I'd sure like to try out a DB of either speaker configuration, but I haven't found one available locally.

However, this thread got me to thinking about shopping for older Peavey tube amp models that are no longer in production. So in the last 12 hours I've been doing some research (checking out owner's manuals from Peavey Support online, and YouTube videos), and I'm getting interested in the Bravo 112. I'm thinking that its 25 watts are plenty for my needs, and it sounds good in the YT vids I've watched.

But the one aspect of research that I can't do as readily on these older models is to play 'em. So, e-merlin, talk to me about those Bravos of yours.

I play classic Rock, classic Country and some new Country and a little blues. I do solo gigs, and guitar and vocals in a duo. Our audiences (and venues) are small to relatively small, as in 35-100 people. I plug my acoustic/electric into the PA, and for my Teles I put a mic in front of an amp (either a Bandit 65, 75 or Studio Pro 112, or my Vox Pathfinder 15R) and run it into the PA, while the amp is behind me. Does this sound like a Bravo might be the right amp for my purposes?

Oh, and e-merlin, sure would like to see whatever pics you have of your list of tube Peaveys, especially the Bravos.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There are many demonstration videos on youtube featuring older Peavey amps. Six or more of those contain Bravo demos w/ humbuckers. Still looking for a Bravo demo w/ single coil pups.

Old April 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
There are many demonstration videos on youtube featuring older Peavey amps. Six or more of those contain Bravo demos w/ humbuckers. Still looking for a Bravo demo w/ single coil pups.
Found one. And with a Tele, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
... I'm getting interested in the Bravo 112. I'm thinking that its 25 watts are plenty for my needs, and it sounds good in the YT vids I've watched. ...

I play classic Rock, classic Country and some new Country and a little blues. I do solo gigs, and guitar and vocals in a duo. Our audiences (and venues) are small to relatively small, as in 35-100 people. I plug my acoustic/electric into the PA, and for my Teles I put a mic in front of an amp (either a Bandit 65, 75 or Studio Pro 112, or my Vox Pathfinder 15R) and run it into the PA, while the amp is behind me. Does this sound like a Bravo might be the right amp for my purposes? ...
And seriously, I'm asking: how does the Bravo compare to my Bandits and Studio Pro? Tone? Touch sensitivity? I'd like some input.

Bob Bennett

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Hiker, it'd be great if you could put together a demo video of your Encore 65.

There aren't many out there, period. And of the few that are, no Teles are being played through them. Sure would like to hear a good demo of the Encore.

And also I'm still hoping for some input on the Bravo.

Bob Bennett

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've owned a db 1x15. Best amp I've ever had. Working on getting another. Right now I have an early seventies classic. Another great amp.

I have a friend with a classic 30, and I'm not much of a fan.
ValliereSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

LGOberean, i sent you a PM.

mitchfit
mitchfit is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Over the years I've owned 3 of the original Classic amps from the '70s (2 tweeds,I black tolex).

Snagged this old Classic VTX a couple of years ago,traded an early '90s Digitech RP-1 for it.Needs some TLC on the cab,but sounds great.

And the obligatory C30....

MASTER VOLUME? WHAT'S A MASTER VOLUME?
refin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Peavey Bravo was my one and only amp from '92 till very recently. I was gigging regularly with it (from small bars to open festivals) and taking it with me to every rehearsal studio. Always played single coils and I was getting many compliments for my sound. Never needed overdrive/distortion pedals. A real workhorse too. A cracked trace in the PCB was the only problem during all these years. (easily fixed for very cheap).
Still have it, 100% stock except for some tube swaps.
zeoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Try a prowler for a clean channel. 40 watt all tube with a 12 in it. It will crank! They r pretty cheap when u can find them. I gave $150 about 8 yrs. ago for mine. I dis have to send it n for some cold solder joints to be fixed a couple yrs ago.

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwj4856
I have a tweed covered Classic 50 with 4-10"s in it with a home built extension cabinet with matching tweed covering and a single 15" Black Widow speaker in it. sounds and looks great.
Any way you can send the dimensions and specs of the extension cab I wanna do a 212 to go under my 410s
sacrificetravis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refin View Post
Over the years I've owned 3 of the original Classic amps from the '70s (2 tweeds,I black tolex).

Snagged this old Classic VTX a couple of years ago,traded an early '90s Digitech RP-1 for it.Needs some TLC on the cab,but sounds great.
I own that amp as well. Mine has 2X12 Scorpion Speakers. IT IS GREAT! As long as I play electric guitar, I will keep this amp!
Roger Waters
Echoes
from the MEDDLE LP
RT1a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just bought my first tube amp in over 19 years...

It's a 1974 Peavey Vintage Tweed, 2 x 12 combo, 100 watts. It looks its age, but I think I can live with that...in fact, I like that. They are old style Peavey, solid state pre amp, 4 tube main. I have NO idea what tubes are in it, or what should be in it, or even what this one sounds like...bought it online.

Should be here mid week, and we shall see.
Any experience with these or with tubes for them?

Thanks.
Mine looks like this, not as pretty, but half the money, shipped.
http://www.gbase.com/gear/peavey-vin...ter-1973-tweed

I also have 4 other Peavey SS amps, all from the '80's,

mark

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

oldmark,

pls see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2J2Y2QN14g

HE says 4 x 6L6 in the output tube section.

hope that helps,
mitchfit
mitchfit is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Peavey Pacer/From Solid State to Deluxe Reverb Tube Circuit

This Pacer was the last surviving amp from my early years that I ended up keeping. After I got into tube amp building in about 2000 and I aquired a full new set of DRRI transformers from a friend cheap who replaced his DRRI with Mercury Magnetics. I begin to get the idea of converting the Pacer to Deluxe Reverb Blackface circuit but wanted to retain the Pacer appearace so it would actually be a Deluxe Reverb Incogneto. So here are some pixs of the result. It's pretty much stock DR with the exception of I made the middle control into a combination Mid/Raw control---so to about 4.5 is a mid control and after that it starts progressively grounding out the tone stack and preamp gain increases. One cool sounding Pacer now. Maybe we can get Hartley P to do a re-issue geared up like this! Platefire
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC008841.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	130144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC008861.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	130145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC008741.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	130146  

Name:	DSC008781.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	130147  

Old June 8th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Deluxe Reverb Incognito (DRI). I like that. That takes care of what designation to use for the model. But for the make? What would you call that? A Feavey? A Pender, maybe?

Bob Bennett