Mustang III Amp Club - Page 22 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM   #421 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendereedo View Post
Picked up a v2 about a month back in racing red.
Dude...that red is sexy!!!!

http://www.reverbnation.com/goatwhiskey
elmicko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:11 AM   #422 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

What I like about this amp is that it sounds good no matter what volume you are playing. You aren't relying on the physics of the tubes to create the tone. I have played this amp several times and I am going to get the III. I may get the floor board as well. All of the Fender modeled tones are about as good as it gets. The Twin and 59 Bassman are amazing. I am going to use the amp as a base tone and use other pedals to create different sounds.

TJ
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Roman's 12:18
tjnugent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM   #423 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmicko View Post
Dude...that red is sexy!!!!
Thanks! It's my favourite amp. The 100 pre-sets are amazing too - hell of a lot of fun!

Last edited by Fendereedo; January 3rd, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Fendereedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 16th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #424 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I dumped the stock patches to Fuse- but I still keep them on the m3v2, and keep cycling them and afraid to alter them or replace them- I guess I am afraid I would lose my backup in fuse. If I could see a way to save an entire set or bank of patches I could load or not it would be helpful- as it is I don't check out the online Fuse patches much as my amp and the Internet are never in the same room and there is no good spot for my laptop nearby anyway. Tweaking the patches themselves in fuse is easy- it is the organizational side of Fuse as a patch librarian that gets me (perhaps I should just use folders from the Mac OS to store different sets of patches?) I'd feel much more comfortable about flexing the amp outside of the presets if I could convince myself Fuse could say save a batch as factory, another batch as a separate group and I could move things about easier I would live to group the amp model family patches closer together.

I still hate and love certain patches but some days less than others. I wanted to create a set for my humbuckers and a set for my single coils.
I have the 4 button foot switch and expression pedal as well as 2 button that comes with, but seem stymied that I can only use two of the three at a time.

Wouldn't even attempt to pop any pedals in front of it- I just can't see models reacting to a boost pedal the same as tubes might. Another story for the modeled pedals and amp models interacting.

I still would like to use with another amp and an a/b/y switch. I think a cube 60 or 80 could actually compliment it.

The models themselves have me lusting for the real world tube amps they are modeling, hoping they are accurate representations. The factory patches I still like with single coils- I would have to back off the volume in my humbuckers.

And I have never had the volume above 3- as I hear ambient noises from faraway outdoors, I think the neighbors could hear my noise going the other direction as easily.

I have never noticed much difference (beyond some stereo) using the amp with headphones vs the speaker, so I have never gotten much sense of what coloration the speaker itself may be adding to the sound
Chancerubbage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #425 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi all. I've been lurking for a long time because I've been interested in this amp, and finally bought a new V2 last week. I'm not a big fan of all the metal, heavy distortion settings, but the amp allows me to get what I want from the 70s and 80s British settings very nicely, so I am happy. My question is, has anybody else noticed a marked improvement in the reduction of single coil hum with this amp verses a tube amp? I have one guitar with soapbars that I love, which was virtually unusable with my previous tube amps, but quiet as a mouse with this one. But I haven't moved the amp around to different environments yet, so I hope it's not a fluke that just happens in my basement.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:16 AM   #426 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Mine has been dead quite with my telecasters at every gig I've taken it to. I'm very happy with this amp, it's the first solid state amp I've ever liked.

To the poster above concerned about presets, I've backed up all of mine to my computer so they're ready to be loaded back into the amp via FUSE should the need arise. I did that so I could have the same presets in my MIII and my floor unit, it's worth the effort to hook up your amp to your computer occasionally.

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:10 AM   #427 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Definitely the most fun I've ever had with an amp and the sounds are excellent.
kend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2014, 01:48 PM   #428 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've been keeping all the factory patches as is. I still dislike and love the same patches, but occasionally I will play something that works great with the patch I hate. Get something much more interesting on some of the high gain sounds merely by dialing back the guitar volume.

I tinker with the patches, but never save any changes because I am afraid I would overwrite previous patches when backing up to Fuse.

I have the expression pedal. For the factory presets that expect it, I find it underwhelming, and it requires tinkering to set up better. It is far to easy for it to get mildly offset and affect the tone when you don't wish it to. I would rather have a dedicated Wah Volume with clear on off switching in front than this expression pedal that requires digging into menu hierarchy to adjust, and may be going where it shouldn't be going. If you have better experience please share.

I think the four button foot switch is worthwhile, and easier to get your head around despite 3 modes, and works nicely with the included 2 button.

I haven't gotten around to eliminating or replacing or editing to save patches 'as I might like Them' due to earlier stated confusion re Fuse as a librarian- which I could probably be set straight on but would have to make/find time.

Old January 27th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #429 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sadly I'm no longer a member of the club, I sold the Mustang III. It was a good amp but I had to switch to Linux on my home computer and couldn't run the Fuse software in Linux, plus I'm getting a new amp this week.
HotRodSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #430 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi,

I'm new to the electric side of things, bought my first electric guitar a month or two back (10 yr old MIM tele) and am trying to find the right amp. I'm really thinking hard about the Mustang III for several reason, but regarding the FUSE softare, I don't have any internet at home. If I take my laptop to a friend's house and download/register FUSE with the amp, will it open up all the features (short of downloading others patches)?

I wont buy anything that requires a constant internet connection.

This would be my first and only amp (for a long time). Is this the right way to go? I play at church some, ranging from about 50 to 200 people, with my accoustic. So I want this for home use (solid states are nice quiet) and playing out some. I also want the tweeking ability without buying all the pedals.

The one thing I am missing is the opportunity to play with tubes, or cabinets (line out). I was looking at the Super Champ X2 as the other possibility, but MIII really seems more in tune with the FUSE and modeling stuff (and a better speaker in the combo unit)... whereas the SCX2 look more like a nice clean tube amp, with the modeling stuff grafted on after the fact.
Pualee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #431 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You can use fuse offline.

Old February 6th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #432 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancerubbage View Post
I've been keeping all the factory patches as is. I still dislike and love the same patches, but occasionally I will play something that works great with the patch I hate. Get something much more interesting on some of the high gain sounds merely by dialing back the guitar volume.

I tinker with the patches, but never save any changes because I am afraid I would overwrite previous patches when backing up to Fuse.

I have the expression pedal. For the factory presets that expect it, I find it underwhelming, and it requires tinkering to set up better. It is far to easy for it to get mildly offset and affect the tone when you don't wish it to. I would rather have a dedicated Wah Volume with clear on off switching in front than this expression pedal that requires digging into menu hierarchy to adjust, and may be going where it shouldn't be going. If you have better experience please share.

I think the four button foot switch is worthwhile, and easier to get your head around despite 3 modes, and works nicely with the included 2 button.

I haven't gotten around to eliminating or replacing or editing to save patches 'as I might like Them' due to earlier stated confusion re Fuse as a librarian- which I could probably be set straight on but would have to make/find time.
You know you can always just do a factory reset and get back all the original patches even if you don't have a save or backup available to you. Plus all the mustang fender preset patches are online in fuse use the checkbox to view 'fender only' patches and it shows the default patches.
SybotCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #433 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm about to buy one of these (Saturday hopefully).

Looking at the Miii v2, I thought there was not a way to drive an external cabinet... but I see an AUX on the top of the box, and a right/left output on the back. Am I getting the v1 and v2 mixed up? Can someone shed some light on those two parts of the hardware (I'm totally new to this stuff).

Also, I see there is a 4 button foot switch, and an expression pedal... and then another 'mustang' pedal board. The inputs in the back only indicate 2 button footswitch, and 4 button footswitch. How to make sense of the other two periferals?

[Edit]
So it looks like the "mustang floor" is the piece I was mixed up about... something altogether different. Does the expression pedal go in through the FX Loop then?

Old February 7th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #434 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popthree View Post
You can use fuse offline.
Didn't know that. How does it work? In a browser?

Old February 7th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #435 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodSteve View Post
Didn't know that. How does it work? In a browser?
Fuse is an application you install on your computer. After that you can hook up the amp and do all the tweaking and making presets you want to do. Also you can always restore the amp to the factory presets even after you save new ones. It's a neat program.

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #436 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
I'm about to buy one of these (Saturday hopefully). Looking at the Miii v2, I thought there was not a way to drive an external cabinet... but I see an AUX on the top of the box, and a right/left output on the back. Am I getting the v1 and v2 mixed up? Can someone shed some light on those two parts of the hardware (I'm totally new to this stuff). Also, I see there is a 4 button foot switch, and an expression pedal... and then another 'mustang' pedal board. The inputs in the back only indicate 2 button footswitch, and 4 button footswitch. How to make sense of the other two periferals? [Edit] So it looks like the "mustang floor" is the piece I was mixed up about... something altogether different. Does the expression pedal go in through the FX Loop then?
The PDF of the manuals are available on line to download, to augment my bad memory to follow.

I believe if you want to use the optional expression pedal, you plug it in the 2 button input, as the four button can do the patch switching. However I think I like the four button plus two button set up the best- if you get the optional extra pedals get the four button first. 2 button comes with.

I think I would actually prefer using an external Wah volume to the Exp1 as it's character will not change patch to patch, or effect an amp preset you did not intend while switching patches. I personally did not care for it is it is too easy for it to accidently be on and have a huge negative effect when switching to a preset that 'sees' it after being invisible on one preset.

The effects loop is there mostly for those that want to insert their investment of rack gear (or whatever) and the habits that go with, that they may already own in to that part of the signal path after the preamp stage, such as digital delay. It may be something you are already used to if your experience is more reverbless Marshall than fender reverb.

I think the extention cab option is only on the mustang IV. There are stereo patches on the mustang III but you can only hear them via headphone, or recorded from the USB out. i think the only difference with the mustang IV other that wattage IS the ability to run 2 cabs in stereo. That is, if the m3 could do it, it could hurt sales of the m4.

The aux on the control panel is an aux IN, so you can pump in tunes or drum machine accompaniment for practice.

Besides allowing FUSE access, and perhaps some midi patch change data in, The USB can send dry non dsp signal along with the amp sim signal for editing and re amping in a daw, and at least it does this with the bundled download software- may be harder to tweak both out with other DAW software.

Old February 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #437 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancerubbage View Post
I think the extention cab option is only on the mustang IV. There are stereo patches on the mustang III but you can only hear them via headphone, or recorded from the USB out. i think the only difference with the mustang IV other that wattage IS the ability to run 2 cabs in stereo. That is, if the m3 could do it, it could hurt sales of the m4.
There are two outputs, from fenders webpage "two stereo XLR outputs". I don't know what these are, I'm totally new to this.

====

I picked up a MIIIv2 and MIv2 this weekend (one for me, one for my son). I thought the MIIv2 sounded substandard compared to the III. And the I sounded better with the small speaker in the closed back than the big speaker in the closed back of the II. That said, by the time we got home, we both were down -- we didn't open then I, and I'm taking it back for second III (or maybe something else). I wanted something to play out, and lost track of that when we were picking them out. Is there something other than a mustang that would pair well for playing out ... 2 guitars only. We looked at line 6, vox, and vender modeling amps - and a few tubes as well.

We love the III, I got FUSE working, and it is a lot of fun exploring the sounds. Is there a list of the non-fender amp models to what they imitate?

Also, some presets (the ones with heavy distortion) have a lot of white noise when the master is up, but we aren't playing. Is that normal -- I assume it is but not sure. It sounds beautiful quiet, and clean - but I'm not used to a lot of distortion.

It's a lot of fun so far, I still need to get the bundled software. FUSE did not install on my laptop, but works on my desktop, so I'm still working around a few technical gliches... but all in all, I am happy with it.

EDIT:

Is it just me, or do the trebles sound a little anemic compared to the base with that 12" speaker? I'm wondering if our 2nd amp should have a smaller speaker. I might be incorrectly biased due to playing a cheap practice amp with a small spearker (maybe 4" - 6 "). Why don't guitar amps have a tweeter and woofer together?

Old February 10th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #438 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmicko View Post
Fuse is an application you install on your computer. After that you can hook up the amp and do all the tweaking and making presets you want to do. Also you can always restore the amp to the factory presets even after you save new ones. It's a neat program.
Yep, it worked fine when I was running Windows on my PC but I had to switch to Linux and couldn't find a version of Fuse that works with it. There is a small user-made version I found but I couldn't get it to work, I'm not good enough with Linux yet.

Old February 11th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #439 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The 2 XLR outputs are like a DI of the amp sim to go into a PA or recording mixer that needs that impedance the fact that XLR is grounded allows for longer cable lengths. You can also get stereo out of the headphone jack or USB. What the Mustang 3 does not provide is a way to drive an extension speaker or two cabinets in Stereo directly from the amp. The Mustang 4 does this, with more wattage.

Old February 11th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #440 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Feel free to tweak the amp settings for better tone- you can do so without overwriting the factory settings. I found the high gain settings more palatable and flexible for me if I rolled back volume at the guitar. The patches are extremes to appeal to a wide variety of tastes during a quick store demo. What sounds anemic on a bridge pickup might be just right for a neck pickup.

As it is, I still haven't edited or tweaked much. And certain amp models are going to work better with certain guitars, single coil vs humbuckers. Find the models that work best, that always appeal to you. Also consider Fletcher Munson Curves- we hear certain frequencies better at different volume levels. You can always use headphones if in home volume levels are an issue.

The fender sims are more obviously labeled, supersonic is the burn channel of that amp. Brit colour is an Orange, there are HiWatt and Marshalls there as well, the graphics are a giveaway, patch names are clue. Pawn Shop is a Supro or any number of simple circuits from early sixties that break up early

Supposed inspiration from earlier version of amp firmware, v 1 settings, that can apply to v2 as well

Brit 60's is Vox AC30
Brit 70's Marshall 1959 SLP
Brit 80's Marshall JCM 800
American 90's Mesa Dual Rectifier
Metal 2000 Peavy 5150, Peavy 6505

If I were looking at another solid state modeling amp in the same price range, I would consider a cube 40 or 60. I've even thought about getting a cube and and aby stomp box to use alongside a mustang iii, I think they could compliment each other, a different take at clean and high gain from the Roland (JC 120 like cleans, singing mids in the high gain, and the Mustang for fendery stuff from the fender (Sparkle. Surf Twang