Fender Mustang I & II - Page 3 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Mine arrived today. Love the Fuse software but I have no idea how to use the other two software packages that came with it....Live 8 and Fender AmpliTude. What do they do?

mako224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako224 View Post
Mine arrived today. Love the Fuse software but I have no idea how to use the other two software packages that came with it....Live 8 and Fender AmpliTude. What do they do?
Congrats. The amp has a USB interface and allows you to record modeled sounds directly into your computer. The Live 8 program is for recording tracks. The Amplitube program at least from what I recall is a plug-in for a variety of effects.
andrewpmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #43 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by richey88 View Post
Question: Will any footswitch work to toggle between the channels?
A standard two channel footswitch allows you to choose two of any presets to bounce between.

This may seem seem disappointing compared to (say) the VOX VT line which comes with 8 presets. Having owned the VT with a footswitch, I found that I didn't use but two channels and there were issues with it anyway, such as a volume spike (ouch) and delay between model shifts. I'm not sure if the Mustang does that too, since I haven't tried yet.

For me, having a clean and overdrive channel to switch between is plenty enough for jamming songs.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Impressive sounds...

To be honest, I looked over one of the Mustangs (II, I think?) at GC a month or so ago and thought "Why did Fender put that out?". It looked so cheap and low-end, I was embarrassed for them and the kid playing through it. Didn't sound very good either.

But that uTube clip that guy posted early in this thread kinda got me thinking I'd gotten a wrong impression? Sounded pretty decent.

Not that I would buy that amp (no need) but have to say I was wrong about the output, at least. The style and look still appear cheap to me, but that's just my 2 cents... not worth 1/3 of that.
pondcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

First looks...

Here's my first impressions... I got a Mustang II last night and I'm still tinkering with it.

For me, I wanted a SS amp that I could run down in the basement and play without firing up the tube amp. I wanted various sounds and features to tinker with, big speaker and a competitive price. (hard to get all three of those). I wanted an amp I could just grab with a guitar and cable, throw the amp in the backseat of my car... no pedals needed. Also, I have GAS and wanted the 'latest thing'.

The Mustang II is the only SS amp I own at this point. I've gone through a bunch hybrids. I've had the VT15, VT30 Spider III 75, Spider IV 75, Orange 35LDX, and MicroCube. Tube amps, I've had the ValveKing 112, AC15CC1, Blues Junior III, AC4TV, and Jet City 20 watt combo.

The Mustang II looks as though it would be heavy but it's not (25 pounds). I'm guessing the speaker magnet is not big and the wood is not thick ply. No tube transformer, metal chassis (or any chassis so I've heard), etc...

I think it was the only way Fender could sell them at $200. If they added better cabinetry and what-no, the price would go up and most buyers in that price range wouldn't appreciate it. Not defending it, but there is a lot of R&D and technology in that amp. That's probably where most of the money goes. But, we're talking about a $200. I can spend $200 at the gas station refueling my SUV, feeding my family, grabbing the latest Playboy and a few cartons of cigarettes.

Having owned a handful of hybrids, I knew I wasn't going to have some religious experience and go selling my tube amp. I will say that I was able to use the telecaster's volume knob to go from clean to high gain.

Bonus rambling
MY PHILOSOPHY ON GETTING THE BEST SOUND FROM A HYBRID:
What I have learned from all the hybrid amps I've owned or played, is that the master volume you set that amp at while you're dialing in tones, plays a HUGE role in getting the most satisfaction. You just can't dial in a great sound at bedroom level and then crank up the master and think it will sound the same. The volume level of the speaker brings out different sonic characteristics, notably the EQs and effects but also the nuances of the cabinet and amp models.

For example, when you are at bedroom volume and set your reverb until it's satisfying, if you crank up the master volume, you'll notice the reverb will sound more excessive even though you didn't change anything. The same with the EQ's, you can get a sweet sound at quiet volume, turn it up and now you have ear-splitting highs and mids.

Add even more complication, hybrids typically model tube amps and their sonic characteristics. With the Mustang II, if you crank the Bassman's gain, the speaker sounds farty/tired, but it's not the physical speaker on the Mustang II which can handle everything I've given it with everything cranked. The farty/tired sound you hear seems to be the characteristic of a completely cranked bassman amp. It's neat to see the effort they take to take on the characteristics of the amps they're modeling.

So, my advice to anybody new to hybrid amps, create and save two separate settings for each sounds you've dialed in... one for loud volume and the other for quiter volume.

And, as I always say with any amp, the player's technique, their guitar, pickup selections, can make even the the most expensive amp sound good or bad.

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

pondcaster,is it your 2 cents that is worth 1/3?The amp is cheap and low-end but i can tell you chipboard and chinese made it is a one heck of an amp.Dont trust the YT clips,and whatever you do dont judge a new amp in a GC store,speakers have to be broken in,then you can really hear the amp.I love the carbon tweed look,but the sound is what matters,right?The cleans i am getting from this amp are lovely.
StraightNeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightNeck View Post
Is it your 2 cents that is worth 1/3?The amp is cheap and low-end but i can tell you chipboard and chinese made it is a one heck of an amp.Dont trust the YT clips,and whatever you do dont judge a new amp in a GC store,speakers have to be broken in,then you can really hear the amp.I love the carbon tweed look,but the sound is what matters,right?The cleans i am getting from this amp are lovely.
Yea, I agree. The cleans alone are worth it. I also thought the heavy "2000's" metal sound was impressive, not tinny or raspy. It's got a beefy low end and when I played Master of Puppets", even with my Tele, it sounded pretty rad.

The Fuse software is a nicer than the Spider IV software IMO. Using Silverlight was a great choice because it allows you to maximize the application as big as your monitor can handle and it will fill the entire screen. Even my Pod Farm and Riffworks won't resize.

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #48 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Definitely my opinion...1/3 of 2 cents.

Quote:
pondcaster,is it your 2 cents that is worth 1/3?The amp is cheap and low-end but i can tell you chipboard and chinese made it is a one heck of an amp.Dont trust the YT clips,and whatever you do dont judge a new amp in a GC store,speakers have to be broken in,then you can really hear the amp.I love the carbon tweed look,but the sound is what matters,right?The cleans i am getting from this amp are lovely.
I thought the uTube clip was pretty decent & real sounding? I've heard about "speaker break in" period but in my experience, it doesn't end up with a bad speaker sounding much better but with a decent speaker "opening up" and sounding even better.

Point was, I think the sound is better than I would ever have expected from that model. As my luthier and amp tech always say, "tone is different for everyone". Except at the extremes, 99% preference.

Sorry for the confusion, glad to clear it up.

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #49 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Very good input there,andrew.Takes some tweaking and understanding how this amp works.I have found out that setting the presets with master at close to 4 gives you good sounds at both bedroom and higher volumes.

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Singing to the choir...

Quote:
Takes some tweaking and understanding how this amp works.
Tell me about it. - proud member of the Cyber Deluxe owner's club

Old December 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #51 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondcaster View Post
Tell me about it. - proud member of the Cyber Deluxe owner's club
There ya go,as they say.

Old December 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #52 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpmast View Post
Yea, I agree. The cleans alone are worth it. I also thought the heavy "2000's" metal sound was impressive, not tinny or raspy. It's got a beefy low end and when I played Master of Puppets", even with my Tele, it sounded pretty rad.
Metallicas riff in the beginning of Human is one of the heaviest ive ever heard.
I like the American 90s,with some tweaking,of course,great ZZ Top grit.

Old December 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #53 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've had my Mustang I and II for a couple of weeks now and I keep finding new sounds. I agree that the cleans and heavy distortions are great, but I also think the in-between tones are impressive.

I might get flamed for this, but I think it's better than the much beloved Vox Pathfinder.

Old December 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #54 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Does the Mustang 2 do a good Blackface clean sound? I would love to get that sound in a small amp. .
lareplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #55 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

The twin reverb tone is fantstic!!!!!! I've been having a ball with this thing. Some of the overdrive tones get a little bit muddy but who cares its a $99 amp that does more than any other amp under $300. You have no idea how good this amp is until you plug it into your computer and use the Fuse software. The fuse software does a great job of creating tones that someone like me would never have the time or the budget to set up if I had to buy the pedals and all the other devises needed. I would say don't base your judgement off of the basic tones built into the amp.......particularly if you haven't read the directions.

My only complaint is with the additional software that came with it. Neither the Live 8 or the Amplitude seem to work on my laptop. (Vista Ultimate 64bit) Been fighting with the Live 8 for hours and hours and can't get it to play back thru my speakers.

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #56 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraspnAtStrings View Post
I might get flamed for this, but I think it's better than the much beloved Vox Pathfinder.
No one is going to flame you,they have to agree with you.
And i do agree,it is better when it comes to overdrive,i dont need pedals with this amp,i hate them anyway.Cleans are in the same league,maybe the highs are a tad sparklier.

Old December 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #57 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako224 View Post
My only complaint is with the additional software that came with it. Neither the Live 8 or the Amplitude seem to work on my laptop. (Vista Ultimate 64bit) Been fighting with the Live 8 for hours and hours and can't get it to play back thru my speakers.
mako224
It might be the Vista 64 bit that's the problem. See FAQ #2 here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/vista

Are you not able to get Ableton to open at all or just not getting any sound?
If it's the latter, did you:

1. Install the Fender Universal ASIO
http://www.fender.com/support/article.php?kb_id=70

2. Select it as your preferred sound device?
http://abletonlife.com/setting-up-au...n-ableton-live

I've never used Ableton since I own Reaper, but I couldn't get any audio from the Mustang on my laptop (Vista 32 bit) until I downloaded the Fender ASIO (for some reason the ASIO4ALL didn't work with the Mustang), selected it as my sound device, and then on the track selected Mustang for the input. Then voila!

I find Ableton less intuitive than some other programs. I prefer Reaper, which works on Vista 64 bit, for basic home recording (if you plan to use the amp and laptop on stage then Ableton is a better option). You can try the full program for free and if you decide to keep it (very inexpensive) you just buy a license. I was able to get Amplitube and the Mustang up and running on Reaper in minutes.

Old December 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #58 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
No one is going to flame you,they have to agree with you.
And i do agree,it is better when it comes to overdrive,i dont need pedals with this amp,i hate them anyway.Cleans are in the same league,maybe the highs are a tad sparklier.
I think you described the differences perfectly. I also prefer the headphone out on the Mustang.

I think this amp, with the Fuse software and a good recording program, is a great option for people who want to have the versatility and tweakability of software amps but don't want to be tied down to a computer all of the time.

Old December 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraspnAtStrings View Post
mako224
It might be the Vista 64 bit that's the problem. See FAQ #2 here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/vista

Are you not able to get Ableton to open at all or just not getting any sound?
If it's the latter, did you:

1. Install the Fender Universal ASIO
http://www.fender.com/support/article.php?kb_id=70

2. Select it as your preferred sound device?
http://abletonlife.com/setting-up-au...n-ableton-live

I've never used Ableton since I own Reaper, but I couldn't get any audio from the Mustang on my laptop (Vista 32 bit) until I downloaded the Fender ASIO (for some reason the ASIO4ALL didn't work with the Mustang), selected it as my sound device, and then on the track selected Mustang for the input. Then voila!

I find Ableton less intuitive than some other programs. I prefer Reaper, which works on Vista 64 bit, for basic home recording (if you plan to use the amp and laptop on stage then Ableton is a better option). You can try the full program for free and if you decide to keep it (very inexpensive) you just buy a license. I was able to get Amplitube and the Mustang up and running on Reaper in minutes.
I have done everything in those posts and have the ASIO driver. Guessing its the 64bit. Pretty disappointed with that aspect as the software bundle and recording abilities are one of the big reasons I made the purchase.

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #60 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Got a Mustang I a couple of days ago and having a ball with it. The Ableton software won't install, it appears that the install file is corrupt. I emailed Fender and we'll see what happens.

For the Amplitube LE - Can the amp act as an interface, or do you need to use a different connection?
Clump is offline   Reply With Quote