Egnater Tweaker Club - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 15th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Egnater Tweaker Club

A Tweaker club didn't show up using the search so might as well get this started.

Might be a good place for everyone to share their favorite "Tweaks".

After going through the small amp merry-go-round, I have decided on the tweaker.

hooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Was going to start this club earlier but I got lazy and you beat me to it.

I needed to downsize my amp and looked around at a variety of 15 watters. Tried Princetons, Voxes, Traynors but I couldn't bond with any of them.

Heard about the Rebel 20 a while back and then stumbled upon the Tweaker. Reviews were universally positive and every sound clip I heard only reinforced how good this little amp was.

Went to a local guitar shop that carried the Tweaker, played it in a closed room with a Paisley Tele for about an hour and a half and couldn't get a bad sound out of the thing. I bought it right then and there, no hesitation.

Had it for about a week and couldn't be happier. The amp is very warm and punchy, especially in the bass registers. It's also very responsive to pick attack. Digging in to different spots you can conjure up a variety of tones. Just waiting on a Hardwire RV-7 Reverb and then the cleans will get even better

My favourite setting so far is Master dimed, Gain at 8:30, Clean setting, Modern, AC, Treble 3:00, Mid 11:00, Bass 11:00, Bright and Deep. Guitar is of course a Tele in the middle position with the tone knob varying between 50-100% wide open. Beautiful chimey cleans
interloper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I picked up this little gem today at GC with the 20 percent off coupon. I am lovin this thing already.I think it sounds awesome with my les paul but haven't had time to play it with the tele yet. I gat the head and 112 cab.
broncstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My new combo arrived today and I've mostly been playing with my Tele.

So far I've been using the stock 6v6 tubes. I may order some EL34's to see how that changes the sound.

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i noticed that when i flip from standby to on the amp seems to kind of power up with a little hum then right back to quiet,is that normal.

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Broncstomper, I have not noticed that with mine.

The only issue I've noticed is a "pop" sound when I switch between vintage and modern. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old June 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

yeah i get that pop also. When i flip mine on standby for a few moments then back to on,It takes about 2 seconds then sounds like its warming up or something.doesn't get loud,hardly notice but with the mic on it it will be audible.It only last for a second or so. not a big deal just wondering.

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I replaced the V3 preamp tube and that stopped the hum. guess i got a bad tube but i'm back to good. Eganter was great and helpful.I ended up getting answers from Bruce Egnater,John Ewing and nate.I didn't make em mail a new tube but they sure would have.

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm a member

I got a Tweaker head about a month ago. $339 shipped with a discount from MF.
It has been a lot of fun. I was using it with my homemade semi open back 1-12 cab with a Vintage 30 , and it sounds great through that.
I just got a Egnater 1-12 cab that has the Celestion G12H30.
I used it at rehearsal last night. I'll have to give it some more time before I decide if I like it any better than my other cab with the V30.
It's a nice size combo though, lightweight, and versatile, works well w pedals.
I did 2 gigs with the Tweaker and it sounded great , mostly using fairly clean USA / Vox tones. Last night I tried the Marshall tone clean and it sounded good too. The high gain tones are great but I don't play a lot of music that requires that tone.

I haven't tried any tube swaps yet, I got a long email from Bob at Eurotubes with info about the tonal changes using different power tubes, if anyone is interested I'll be glad to post it or forward it to you.
For now I'm happy with the stock 6V6s, but since I have some , I may try some different preamp tubes.

I picked up a padded bag at Target for about $20 that the head fits into , it has pockets that I can store my power cable and speaker cables in.

My other amp is a Z28 clone made by our local amp guru Robert Hinson. I will continue to use it and I don't think I'll ever sell it, the Tweaker didn't replace it, I just wanted another amp.
If I get a gig that is at a large enough venue I may use both of them.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have been using the vintage side set on ac with treble and mids at about 11 o clock and the bass dimed. oh yeah on clean, bright and tight. seems to be working good for worship with my tele plus. I am using the 112x cab but would love another one. I am running a dd3 and digitech cf7 through the loop with a rat up front.

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

re tube upgrade info

Here is the info from Bob at Eurotubes, well the power tube info anyway.

So yes, we have done a variety of tubes for these and here are most of the options for you. The Egnater Tweaker comes with a pair of 6V6ís and when we auditioned these amps at the 2010 NAMM show Bruce was kind enough to answer our questions about bias ands tube swaps. The amp is cathode biased with no adjustment so it will also accommodate EL34ís, E34Lís, KT77ís and 6L6GCís.

The JJ 6V6's are a very full and round sounding tube and when pushed at higher volumes are a little crunchier in the mid and upper mids than a 6L6 is.

The standard JJ EL34 is just like the old European EL34's. These are a bit soft with a shallower low end and a smooth breakup with a nice crunch, a typical high quality EL34. Standard EL34 tubes are not real tight and are known for a slightly looser and more vintage feel.

The JJ E34L's provide a deeper low end and are more aggressive and punchy than an EL34. The E34L is tighter with slightly more headroom and power with a more aggressive crunch, a very articulate British tone.

The JJ KT77's have even a bit more low end extension than the JJ E34L's and they have a nice sizzle in the top end that is not brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and the crunch at loud volumes has more of a chunk to it and it's very punchy but not quite as aggressive as the E34L, a great tube for rhythm and solo work if you like the pushed mid and upper mid tone that all EL34 type tubes have.

So for a comparison the JJ 6L6GC's have a little more low end than the KT77's, but are a cleaner tube with a later breakup and they are not as mid range heavy, more of a traditional Fender type tone. They will also give the fattest and most linear full spectrum sound of all the small bottle octal tubes which also makes them a great tube for just about anything from Rock to Jazz to Country.

Old June 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Here is the info from Bob at Eurotubes, well the power tube info anyway.

So yes, we have done a variety of tubes for these and here are most of the options for you. The Egnater Tweaker comes with a pair of 6V6ís and when we auditioned these amps at the 2010 NAMM show Bruce was kind enough to answer our questions about bias ands tube swaps. The amp is cathode biased with no adjustment so it will also accommodate EL34ís, E34Lís, KT77ís and 6L6GCís.

The JJ 6V6's are a very full and round sounding tube and when pushed at higher volumes are a little crunchier in the mid and upper mids than a 6L6 is.

The standard JJ EL34 is just like the old European EL34's. These are a bit soft with a shallower low end and a smooth breakup with a nice crunch, a typical high quality EL34. Standard EL34 tubes are not real tight and are known for a slightly looser and more vintage feel.

The JJ E34L's provide a deeper low end and are more aggressive and punchy than an EL34. The E34L is tighter with slightly more headroom and power with a more aggressive crunch, a very articulate British tone.

The JJ KT77's have even a bit more low end extension than the JJ E34L's and they have a nice sizzle in the top end that is not brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and the crunch at loud volumes has more of a chunk to it and it's very punchy but not quite as aggressive as the E34L, a great tube for rhythm and solo work if you like the pushed mid and upper mid tone that all EL34 type tubes have.

So for a comparison the JJ 6L6GC's have a little more low end than the KT77's, but are a cleaner tube with a later breakup and they are not as mid range heavy, more of a traditional Fender type tone. They will also give the fattest and most linear full spectrum sound of all the small bottle octal tubes which also makes them a great tube for just about anything from Rock to Jazz to Country.
Great info.

Did you get any info on the preamp tubes? I just got a TungSol reissue for another amp but I'm tempted to put it in V1 and see how it sounds. But I'm happy with the sound and afraid to mess up a good thing.

Old July 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

preamp tubes

well Bob is a JJ tube distributor so he recommends JJ tubes.
Justtry the Tungsol, preamp tubes can make a lot of difference in the tone of an amp, and there is nothing to adjust and nothing you can mess up, either you'll like it better or not, if you don't put the stock tube back in.

I've got a stash of assorted 12ax7s, USA ,Mullard etc... I'm going to try a few out and see what changes I notice.
I just want to play it stock for a while so I will be familar with the tone as it is.

Old July 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Just about to buy my tweaker can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch1 View Post
A Tweaker club didn't show up using the search so might as well get this started.

Might be a good place for everyone to share their favorite "Tweaks".

After going through the small amp merry-go-round, I have decided on the tweaker.
trinityras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityras View Post
Not sure what that was about but I'm no longer a club member.

Sent it back and now have a PV C30.

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ok I broke down and ordered another Tweaker. I missed those Fendery cleans and tonal versatility.

Old July 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

As far as the problem with the effect's loop is concerned what pedals are a problem? I have a TWEAKER head on order and would like to use some reverb in the loop.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

here's a pic.this thread needs a few pics. By the way I am running a dd-3,digitech CF7, and boss flanger through the loop with no trouble.

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I love this place

I have been looking at a Tweaker for a few weeks but no one in my neck of the woods is a dealer. So I have to go by what is said in forms like this one, so thanks for your input, it helps. I will use it with a 1X12 cabinet with a V30 so it should work out alright.
Cheers To All
Soon to be a member
Double is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double View Post
I have been looking at a Tweaker for a few weeks but no one in my neck of the woods is a dealer. So I have to go by what is said in forms like this one, so thanks for your input, it helps. I will use it with a 1X12 cabinet with a V30 so it should work out alright.
Cheers To All
Soon to be a member
I ordered the combo. Not back in stock till mid August.

While I wait, I'm spending some time with other small amps to make sure I made the right choice. I'm currently enjoying a SCXD and I'm very tempted by the Class 5.