Peavey Bandit Club - Page 10 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #181 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yet Another...

Teal...

Traded a Transtube 258 efx and a molded Fender case.
Good trade, I really like the lead channel on this.
Better IMO than my 2 silver stripes lead channels.
Long, ringing sustain, excellent smooth decay.

Last edited by tube power; December 15th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
tube power is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #182 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFreddy View Post
I've been trying to post this information at Wikipedia, but due to a "lack of veriafiable references", someone keeps deleting it. All I have is personal experience and what I've learned from Peavey employees and other Peavey users, so this could very well be a bunch of malarkey, but if it's not the exact truth, it's at least close to the truth. If anyone can correct or refine any information here, those contributions would be most welcome.

Models of Peavey Bandits

The Bandit

(1980) The very first Bandit was only made for one year. As subsequent versions became available, the original Bandit came to be known as the "Gunsmoke Bandit" because the font used to silkscreen the logo on the front of the amp resembled the font used in the opening credits of the popular 60's television show, Gunsmoke. The Gunsmoke Bandit was made in Meridian Mississippi USA and had a power rating of 50 watts RMS. It came equipped from the factory with a 12" guitar speaker made for Peavey by Eminence.

Solo Series Bandit

(1981-1983) The Solo Series Bandit soon followed the Gunsmoke Bandit and incorporated a variety of improvements, most notably a much improved sound. The Solo Series Bandit was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 65

(1983-1986) With the Solo Series Bandit 65, large improvements in tone compared to the previous version were again realized and the power rating was increased to 65 watts RMS. The Bandit 65 was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 75

(1987-1988) The Solo Series Bandit 75 saw the power increase by 10 watts to 75 watts RMS and a Bright Switch was added. The Bandit 75 was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 112

(1988-1995) The Solo Series Bandit 112 introduced many new features, the most notable being an increase in power to 80 watts RMS and a choice between Peavey's Scorpion speaker and Peavey's newly introduced Sheffield speaker. Many of the innovations that would later be branded as "Transtube" were included in the Solo Series Bandit 112, but the name "Transtube" had not been adopted yet. There have been several different versions of the Solo Series Bandit 112 but they all share the same manual and the same control layout. One of the more popular variations is known as the "Teal Stripe" or "Blue Stripe" Bandit due to a blue horizontal stripe below the control panel. The Solo Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA.

Transtube Series Bandit 112

(1996-1999) The Transtube Series Bandit 112 formally introduced Peavey's proprietary "Transtube" technology that allows a solid state amplifier to perform more like a vacuum tube amplifier. Central to the Transtube concept is a patented "power brake" that allows the user to control the amount of power required for dynamic range compression from the power amp, from 100% all the way down to 10%, thus enabling the amplifier to acheive power amp compression without running at full volume. The Transtube Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA and came stock with the Sheffield 1230 speaker. Notably, it was also the first Bandit to have an external speaker jack, allowing external speakers to be run instead of or in parallel with the internal speaker. Running into 8 ohms, power is still 80 watts RMS, but running into 4 ohms (the equivalent of using the internal 8 ohm speaker together with an 8 ohm extension speaker) the power is increased to 100 watts RMS. Due to the black color and square shape of the Transtube Series Bandit 112, it is sometimes referred to as the "Blackbox Bandit".

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in USA

(2000-2004) With the Transtube Series II, the metal corners and input jacks that had been standard on all Peavey Bandits up until this time were replaced by plastic corners and plastic jacks. The knob that controlled the Transtube power brake feature continuously from 10% to 100% power was replaced by a 3-way switch, allowing operation at 25%, 50%, and 100% power. Similar changes were made to the tone modification section of the amplifier to reduce unit costs. Due to a color scheme incorporating a red stripe across the front of the amplifier, many people refer to the Transtube Series II Bandit as the "Redstripe Bandit". During this time Peavey attempted to adopt a new company logo, and moved away from their traditional "pointy" logo. The new logo came to be known as the "Block Logo". The Block Logo was only used for a limited period of time, and the Block Logo Redstripe Bandits represent the last Peavey Bandits to be made in the USA.

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China

(2004-2007) This amp is cosmetically nearly identical to the USA version, so it is also referred to as "Redstripe Bandit", but there are several differences between the US built Redstripes and the Chinese ones. First, the Chinese version says, "Designed in the USA" on the front, while the actual USA version says "Designed and Made in the USA". Second, the speaker in the Chinese version is either unlabelled, or is labelled "Blue Marvel", a Peavey code for speakers made outside of Peavey and then rebranded as Peavey. All of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped from the factory with US made Sheffield 1230 speakers. Another obvious difference is that all Chinese Redstripe Bandits have the "pointy logo" as Peavey abandoned it's plan to adopt a new logo. Most - but not all - of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped with Block Logos.

Peavey Bandit with Transtube Technology

(2008-current) The current version of the Bandit is made in China and has essentially the same features as the Chinese Redstripe Bandit. Changes include the spring reverb tank being replaced by a digital reverb circuit, and Peavey has reintroduced metal corners. The footswitch is no longer included with the amp and must be purchased seperately.
One thing I would love to see added to this fine summary would be
the retail prices of these models when they were current.
tube power is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #183 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

According to Peavey the list price for the Bandit 65 in 1983 was $299.50, retail was probably half of that. I think I paid $150 for mine in 1985.
ASC67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #184 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I posted this on amp central station but I figured I should post it here in the club as well.

A little demo of my Peavey Solo series Bandit 65. I picked this up a few weeks ago and it was in rough shape. I had to clean years of tobacco tar and dirt of the exterior. I took the chassis out to clean the noisy potentiometers, I also replaced the five OP Amps in it as the old ones were very noisy and buzzing. The Scorpian speaker is in great shape for it's age and sounds great.These bandits are fantastic amps. Very tubelike in their sound and great Reverb. The guitar used is my modded CV 50's with a Mean 90 in the neck and a Harmonic Design S90 in the bridge and 4 way switch.

I had one of these in the 80's as my first nice amp, I foolishly traded it in on another amp. I regretted doing that for along time and I'm happy to have one again.

Special thanks to forum member Commodore 64 for being kind enough to send me the OP amps I needed to fix this amp.

Old December 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #185 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think I paid around $350 for a apir of Bandit 65s around 1985. I tried equipping them wiith EV 12" speakers. I thought they sounded better with the stock Scorpions. The EVs were too clear, if that makes sense. I used the DOD RDS-908 digital delay in my rack to create the stereo split. It was a nice rig for the gig I had at the time.
Ed Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #186 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Bandit's..........the best!!!!

Hey Dudes just happen to get on this Forum to see what was going on & saw the "Peavey Club" & had to check it out & join! Here is a pic of my Teal Bandit (Scorpion Equipped Of Course!) I WILL NEVER SELL IT! TO ME THESE BANDITS WERE & STILL ARE ONE OF THE BEST & BADDEST S/S AMPS EVER BUILT!!
axe dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #187 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFreddy View Post
I have never seen one of those before. Are you sure it's not a 112 EFX? The 112 EFX looks very similar to a Redstripe Bandit 112, but has the effects section that you're talking about.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-TransTube-112-EFX-Combo-Amp?sku=481368

These were around $400 brand new in 2003, similar to a Bandit, and their resale value is comparable to a similar vintage Bandit too. There were two different chips in those, the later chip is more desirable. If the upgrade chip is still available from Peavey, I think they're around $35 and it's a simple drop-in part.

If you do in fact have a Bandit with the EFX section, please post pics. I have been acquiring/collecting/watching Peavey gear for over ten years, and I have never seen one. It could be you have a very rare amp.

Good info... I can't change the first post I made, so I'll have to do a repost. If it turns out that BOK999 has a rare version of Bandit, I'll include that in my update too...
I JUST traded it for a peavey horizon ii guitar and hughes and kettner amp. Here are some pics though. I will sell that amp and keep an equally rare guitar! This amp was trade for when i sold my squire strat and frontman 15g amp lol. talk about trading up.

burnoutking999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #188 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

well i live in uruguay and i had a peavy bandit 112 (1993) and is a real good ampi , i will have to restaurate because have much shows maybe then post some pics , so i love the marshall soud but what do you think about this classic?? 1993 peavy bandit 112
wilner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #189 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

hi man

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe dude View Post
Hey Dudes just happen to get on this Forum to see what was going on & saw the "Peavey Club" & had to check it out & join! Here is a pic of my Teal Bandit (Scorpion Equipped Of Course!) I WILL NEVER SELL IT! TO ME THESE BANDITS WERE & STILL ARE ONE OF THE BEST & BADDEST S/S AMPS EVER BUILT!!
i have the same ampi but with shaffield eqquiped is a good ampi
wilner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #190 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Anybody got a good Scorpion they need to be rid of?

"If you know "how" to play, a Peavey Bandit is all you need."
HOBBSTER01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #191 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've got a first generation transtube one and it's one loud clean beast. It was my main amp until I discovered tubes. Funnily enough I've got a daddy-o overdrive that only sounds good with that amp.

Old January 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #192 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Here is some great info on all the Bandits - I took this from The peavey Forum,
You can click on each description and get a picture....

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14177

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #193 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Hi everyone.
Ive got a 1998 Peavey Bandit 112 blackbox, its the only amp Ive ever had, but Ive just got a new Tele after years of playing a not good *** SG copy. Well I see that theres a lot of support in the Tele community for the Bandit but can I ask; if you were going to buy a new amp to use mainly with your Tele, what would you buy?

What is the 'Classic' Tele amp?
N3TeleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #194 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3TeleMan View Post
Hi everyone.
Well I see that theres a lot of support in the Tele community for the Bandit but can I ask; if you were going to buy a new amp to use mainly with your Tele, what would you buy?

What is the 'Classic' Tele amp?
There is a thread on this subject on the amp central station forum, 1st or second page.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM   #195 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Late comer, hoping to join the club. I've had the new Chinese Bandit for a couple months, and every time I play another amp, I like the Bandit even more. The Bandit has really made me appreciate the value of a good clean tone.

My only complaint with the Bandit: What's with the reflective knobs? Can't tell where the darn things are set without getting up really close. Anybody find any better knobs that are good replacements?
tlimbert65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM   #196 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'm also interested in how people are using pedals, both analog stompboxes and digital modeling units. Recommendations for specific pedals? Are you running them straight in the front or in the effects loop? Anybody running a digital modeling unit into the effects return, with the guitar into the pedal's input, therefore bypassing the tone-shaping circuitry of the Bandit altogether? I'm currently running my Digitech RP255 that way, and getting some good sound, but somewhat reduced volume.
tlimbert65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:10 AM   #197 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlimbert65 View Post
I'm also interested in how people are using pedals, both analog stompboxes and digital modeling units. Recommendations for specific pedals? Are you running them straight in the front or in the effects loop? Anybody running a digital modeling unit into the effects return, with the guitar into the pedal's input, therefore bypassing the tone-shaping circuitry of the Bandit altogether? I'm currently running my Digitech RP255 that way, and getting some good sound, but somewhat reduced volume.
I have pedals in the effects loop of an early USA Transtube 112: compressor, tremolo, slapback, delay. I spent some time with this and - for reasons I don't remember - felt that this is the better way.

I have an old Boss ME-10; I have probably run it straight into the input but then put it away. I would be glad to hear how you arrived at your decision to bypass the pre-amp/tone stage with your Digitech.. Was the difference really noticeable?

Greg
Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #198 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

After reading on another thread how to put LED's in a Peavey footswitch I went ahead and installed some in my Bandit 65 footswitch. It was super easy and only took about 15 minutes. The way the switching is set up on the Bandit the Light is off for the overdrive channel and off for Reverb on.

Here is how to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootRoots View Post
very simple, here you go...

And my footswitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	74407  

Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:00 AM   #199 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC67 View Post
After reading on another thread how to put LED's in a Peavey footswitch I went ahead and installed some in my Bandit 65 footswitch. It was super easy and only took about 15 minutes.
Wow, you read my mind somehow! I'll look for that thread; what voltages are the LEDs you used rated for?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM   #200 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Coal View Post
Wow, you read my mind somehow! I'll look for that thread; what voltages are the LEDs you used rated for?

Thanks,
Greg

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-centr...ootswitch.html

Not sure that it matters, I bought a bag of various LED's at Radio shack a few years ago for a pedal mod so I had them laying around in my parts drawer.