Join the Bedrock Brigade. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Join the Bedrock Brigade.

Bedrock amps were high quality tube amps built in New England during the late '80's through mid/late '90's.They are still great bargains on the used market,with amps still showing up quite frequently on Ebay and Craig's List.

First,I have a custom '97 600 Series 651 combo in green/blue tolex,Fender style silver mesh grill with old style scripted logo.I installed a Celestion G12K-100 speaker to excellent results.It was a Winter NAMM floor model in what I believe was Bedrock's last year of production.

Next up,a '96 600 Series 621 combo with Celestion G12H-30 speaker.This is basically a dual EL84 25 watt version of the quad EL84 50 watt 651.Both feature massive power/output iron,chassis mounted tubes,spring reverb,effects loop with send/return controls and military spec circuit boards.

Btw,I used to own a killer sounding early '90's 1600 50 watt head.This complex amp featured 12AX7A 7 tube descrete preamp sections [USA/British],a pair of EL34 power tubes,dual effects loops with send/return levels and bypass on each,dual spring reverb controls,8/4 ohm speaker outs and massive power/output transformers.I especially dug the higher gain British mode for it's smooth/tight/articulate tones and wonderful sounding harmonic structure.I eventually sold it to a friend after he had pleaded with me to sell it to him for the 5th or 6th time.I also made a nice $200 profit in the sale.

Lastly,I also had a late '80's 1400 Series 50 watt head.A great stage amp that sounded like a really good hot-rodded Marshall JCM800.Unforunately,it sounded only so so at lower/medium volumes and was quickly sold to an old school metalhead.

Anyone else have [or have had] a Bedrock amplifier?

Ed

EdMan57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

No but I have always wanted one (just because I kinda have a Fred Flintstone thing about Me)but all I know is that I want green! so I am happy that You give some model info since I don't know one from the other
Billy B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I inherited a Bedrock speaker with some other things bought from a guy a while back. It's a Bedrock 12E100.

I found through research that Guitarfetish's Jay once ran the Bedrock company. I wrote to him to find out more about this speaker and this was his response:

"Good speaker- Cone is a Britihs made Celestion style- Magnet and basket by Standford Acoustics- We assembled them in house- Like a 100 watt Vintage 30"

And that, kids, is your information moment.
dever is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dever View Post
I inherited a Bedrock speaker with some other things bought from a guy a while back. It's a Bedrock 12E100.

I found through research that Guitarfetish's Jay once ran the Bedrock company. I wrote to him to find out more about this speaker and this was his response:

"Good speaker- Cone is a Britihs made Celestion style- Magnet and basket by Standford Acoustics- We assembled them in house- Like a 100 watt Vintage 30"

And that, kids, is your information moment.
Cool info.Thanks!

Billy B.,funny you mention the Flintstones reference,as the very first "Bedrock" amps were actually called Fred's.

Btw,here's a link to the Bedrock Tribute Page.There is also a link there to an informative message board.

http://bedrock27.tripod.com/bedrockamp/index.html

Ed

Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've got a Bedrock BC-75 combo that I bought new in 1995. It's been on a bunch of tours with me, and to 45 of the 50 states... Still going strong.
It sits in semi retirement now because it's so heavy, and I haven't played a room where I needed 75 watts since the '90s.
I'm always a bit suprised that there isn't more of a cult following for them, they really are fantastic amps.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Reminds me of Joe Perry just hearing the name

Old May 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

got a bedrock 2x12 combo, Eminence speakers. loud and heavy--i think they were named
by their weight, or the cab being made from bedrock or depleted uraninium. built to survive a nuke. can get a variety of tones. not much info available on these, but i would grab another one in a heartbeat. Guitar Center special for $200 5 years ago, had 1 bad 12ax7, so they let it go cheap.
dusterood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan57 View Post
Btw,here's a link to the Bedrock Tribute Page.There is also a link there to an informative message board.
http://bedrock27.tripod.com/bedrockamp/index.html
Ed
That's the website I started just so at least there is a little bit of Bedrock info out there. The Tripod host is screwy, they changed software and made updates a big pain, so not much has been done with it, and I don't have time to start over from scratch.

I just picked up a 1600 50w head (looking for a footswitch!) and I own a 1200 head and 1202 combo.

Too bad Jay Abend or Brad Jeter don't put up a page with a bunch of tech info, schematics, etc for the owners of these amps, since this stuff is tough to track down.
LexLuthier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I recently picked up a clean dual EL84 600 Series 25 watt head off the bay.Not sure if it's called a 620 or 625.Either way,it's a really nice compact tube head.

Ed