Pignose G60VR Club! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Pignose G60VR Club!

Got mine a while back.
Changed tubes and speaker and she's a killer!

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
to view every problem as a nail."
-Maslow-
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

wicked wicked thing I just think they need a little fine tuning my one fills a room with 100 people in it with the master and vol on 3 *****in thing
bluesanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
Got mine a while back.
Changed tubes and speaker and she's a killer!
Carried around half stacks for way too long. Not getting any younger. bought one of these used on ebay a few years back. Put a decent Eminence speaker in it, put some pedals in front of it, and have not looked back. Tone heaven, power and volume for days. Think of it as a single channel Boogie MarkI.

I've got great sounding high-dollar rigs, but I keeps coming back to this one

ty
thunda1216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 7th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Got the head version, run it thru a 2x12 with Eminence Legends (well Fender gold label but pretty much the same). I am also turning a G40V into a bass head for use with an Ampeg Portabass 2x12 cab, as I can not abide 10 in spkrs, especially only one in a combo. 2x12 or bust!!

I must admit having a 1x12" Mojotone in an old projector speaker box I use with my Epi Jr.
CharlyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've had several G40V amps pass through my hands in the past. Love the sound, love how cheap they are, dislike the lack of reverb. I've been keeping my eyes open for a G60VR at a reasonable price. If I ever stumble across one, I'll probably be in this club the next day. :)
MN Punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I have the Pignose G-60VR head and swapped preamp tubes for some old telefunkens I had laying around and I love it. Sounds like a hot rodded version of my 68 bassman head.
I run it into an open backed 2x12 w/jenson mods (35watters) wired @ 4ohms. I bought mine new for $150 at a local music store about 4 years ago...never regretted it, especially after swapping out preamp tubes which killed the the trebly response it had with crummy chinese tubes.
Derek72custom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I bought my G-60VR at an auction about four years ago.

I saw it during the preview before our local auction . It was brand new, with the tags still in place. I knew I wanted it and I bought it the next day for $35.

I took it straight to my pro tech and had all the tubes swapped, biasing leads added and a standby switch installed in the rear right corner. Later, I ditched the stock speaker and installed a take-out from a Top Hat 2X12. I guess I have about $200 tied up in it but it was $$$ well spent.

I doubt that I'm going to keep it much longer. It's a killer amp for the price but the power is pretty much overkill for my needs. 60 watts is LOUD!

Last edited by mymindsok; July 4th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
mymindsok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

G40V / G60VR Club

I figure the 7-100 and Hog-series guys can have the Pignose Owner Club thread to themselves. These odd gems are a whole different animal from the rest of the Pignose line.

As I was starting to talk about over in that thread, I snagged a G40V off eBay as a bench project. Things are progressing faster than I thought, and I think I'll have it done as soon as the end of this week. Here's what's up so far:
  1. I went to the fabric store and bought some beautiful purple felt to re-do the cab with. I applied it both the sides and to the front of the speaker baffle.
  2. One of the 6L6 tubes is microphonic. When I play certain notes the speaker causes it to rattle audibly. I've got a new pair of JJ's coming in the mail.
  3. I wanted a bass guitar speaker so I could use this rig for both guitar & bass. I settled on the Jenson MOD 10-70 after reading that other G40V owners have had good luck with it.
  4. It breaks up way too early on the volume knob. To get a little more control over the gain, I'm replacing V1 with a 12AU7 and V2 with a 12AT7. Hopefully that will do the trick.
  5. The slats in the vent plate on the back were pointing DOWN. Isn't that entirely wrong? I'm pretty sure it will disspate heat better if I flip it over.
  6. I thought the input jack would need to be replaced, but it turns out that it only needed to be tightened down.

Anyway, it was pretty good as it was when I got it, but after these very minor mods I think the end result is going to be rather sweet. Maybe nice enough to become my new stage rig for 2012. I'll A/B it against my Classic 30 and my ZT Lunchbox stack when I'm done and then make up my mind.

I wish it had a reverb tank, but otherwise I'm pretty excited about how it's turning out. I'll be sure to post pics (and perhaps a sound clip or two) when I'm done.

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wow. What I perceived to be the speaker leaving me with a lack of "oomph" on the low end was apparently due less to the speaker and more to a bad tube. With a pair of JJ 6L6GC tubes in her, a 12AU7 in V1 and a 12AT7 in V2, she really sings now.

I've got the new speaker coming tomorrow, and that might sweeten things a little more. I've got a really good feeling about how all this is going to turn out.

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It's done, and I'll be using it on stage this weekend. What do you think of the new look?

Total mods:
12AU7 in v1
12AT7 in v2
New matched pair of JJ 6L6GC tubes in the power stage
Jensen MOD 10/70 8-Ohm speaker
Purple felt replacing the old fake pigskin
Steel waffle-style grill replacing the old nasty grill fabric

I love it, and intend to make it my "main" stage rig for 2012 and possibly beyond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	110760  

Old May 12th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Would love to hear/see some clips of the G60VR - I have the G40V and always been intrigued in the model...
http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Punk View Post
I've had several G40V amps pass through my hands in the past. Love the sound, love how cheap they are, dislike the lack of reverb. I've been keeping my eyes open for a G60VR at a reasonable price. If I ever stumble across one, I'll probably be in this club the next day. :)
As a follow-up, I've gotten used to getting my reverb from a pedal, and have gone back to the G40V as my main stage rig. Mine has a speaker upgrade (Jenson MOD 10/70), and I refinished it with purple felt. Suits my stage needs really well and doubles as a nice bass practice amp in a pinch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	427098_2880732109242_1125500907_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	130726  

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Who Said you Couldn't install a 12" Speaker in a G40V

I've got a G40V I've had about 4 years. I picked it up at a pawn shop for about $50.00 in good working condition. After jamming on it with several different guitars for a while the amp was prone to early distortion with seemingly too much gain and lack of clarity in overall sound. Sometimes that original speaker would make a noise when you drove it hard. It had the original chinese tubes in it. This is what I did to correct it:

1-I have a pretty good inventory of tubes and started sampeling different tubes for sound. I ended up with a set of Svetlana 6L6GC's power tubes,
one 12AX7 Groove Tube in the Phase Inverter and one EH 12AX7 in v2 and a EH 12AY7 in V1.

2-Removed existing baffel and Pignose speaker. Built a new speaker baffel for a 12" speaker and used a Fender/Eminence Special Design that came out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. You would think this little amp couldn't house a 12" speaker but it can, even though it's a tight fit.

3-Also made a cover for it.

These changes made a huge difference. The better tubes and the 12AY7 in
V1 provided more clean headroom and the speaker very much clarity and definition. It has more of a Fender sound now and with the master volume you can dial in the volume and touch sensativity needed for any size room.

The thing I like about this amp is it's a compact powerhouse. You couldn't make a 40watt tube amp with a 12" speaker smaller than this. I'm holding on to it because as I get deeper in my senior years less weight and more power will be a premium. Attached is a link to the modificatons I did to my pig. Platefire

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1262350...7601870695324/

Old June 16th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platefire View Post
I've got a G40V I've had about 4 years. I picked it up at a pawn shop for about $50.00 in good working condition. After jamming on it with several different guitars for a while the amp was prone to early distortion with seemingly too much gain and lack of clarity in overall sound. Sometimes that original speaker would make a noise when you drove it hard. It had the original chinese tubes in it. This is what I did to correct it:

1-I have a pretty good inventory of tubes and started sampeling different tubes for sound. I ended up with a set of Svetlana 6L6GC's power tubes,
one 12AX7 Groove Tube in the Phase Inverter and one EH 12AX7 in v2 and a EH 12AY7 in V1.

2-Removed existing baffel and Pignose speaker. Built a new speaker baffel for a 12" speaker and used a Fender/Eminence Special Design that came out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. You would think this little amp couldn't house a 12" speaker but it can, even though it's a tight fit.

3-Also made a cover for it.

These changes made a huge difference. The better tubes and the 12AY7 in
V1 provided more clean headroom and the speaker very much clarity and definition. It has more of a Fender sound now and with the master volume you can dial in the volume and touch sensativity needed for any size room.

The thing I like about this amp is it's a compact powerhouse. You couldn't make a 40watt tube amp with a 12" speaker smaller than this. I'm holding on to it because as I get deeper in my senior years less weight and more power will be a premium. Attached is a link to the modificatons I did to my pig. Platefire

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1262350...7601870695324/
I'm right there with you on the tube swap to tame the preamp, although I like the tight response of a 10", so I merely swapped in a better-quality 10 rather than changing out the baffle to hold a 12.

The more I look around, the more I realize that there is no amp on the market quite like this anywhere. A 40W tube-based 1x10" that you can usually grab used off Craigslist or eBay for around $200. Even new, it was about $300 and near they end of its run was being liquidated for considerably less.

How this little miracle box didn't take the world by storm, I still don't quite understand. Was it just because it's so ugly-looking?

The only thing that would make it more perfect for me is a reverb tank. Give me a G60VR in a G40V sized combo, and I'd be over the moon.

Old June 16th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Oh, and sorry for the various redundant posting further up in this thread. I had another one going which the mods merged with this one.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Long-time TDPRIer and experienced amp modder here.

There are two G40Vs in the family and over the years I've done quite a few mods. I bought them for their excellent volume-to-size ratio and one look at the strangeness around V1B in the schematic told me I'd have to mod them. So far, this what I've done (and one thing I will soon do) to the one that I usually use -- I like loud and clean, so keep that in mind:

1. Tubes -- unless you like preamp overdrive (as opposed to the imo more desirable PI and output stage overdrive), imo the best thing you can do for a G40V is to replace V1, the first hole 12AX7. After trying a 12AU7 (awful), a Sovtek 5751 (didn't work at all due to the oddball biasing of V1B) and several 12AT7s (hard to find one quiet enough for that job, finally found an NOS one that was), I recently switched to a JJ ECC832/12DW7, which really hit the sweet spot. I was still getting more preamp overdrive than I wanted, so I tried that Sovtek 5751 as V2 and that *almost* got me where I wanted to go. The final glorious step was replacing V3 (the PI) with a 12AT7 -- tried several, including an EH that was terrible, but an old (but not that old -- it had the modern logo) RCA did the trick beautifully. The toughest tube sub I did was to ditch the Chinese 6L6GCs for a pair of Soviet-era NOS 6n3Cs -- this required removing the Fender-style "bear trap" retainers and installing the coil spring gizmos Marshall uses because of the larger Russian base diameter. These are reputed to be great tubes in cathode-biased circuits and they've been just super so far despite being "officially" rated for lower B+ than the Piggy provides -- imo the ancient datasheet is overly conservative about that spec.

2. Speaker -- along with that first hole preamp tube, this one is a must and very much a matter of personal taste. I chose an old JBL MI-10 (I told you I like loud and clean!), but there are many other fine choices out there, including neodymium models that would lighten up the amp considerably.

3. Circuit mods -- I put a resistor (any value between 33k and 100k will do) between the grid of V1A and the center conductor of the shielded lead from the input jack, a la Leo. I also installed a rectifier/regulator/fliter circuit to put DC on the filament of V1 -- I was hoping for more hum reduction than I got, so I may undo that one next time I have it apart -- at the very least, I'll get rid of the regulator, which was never really necessary and may actually be adding a little noise. My final mod will be to install a switch to take weirdly biased V1B out of the signal path entirely, which will make the G40V a into de facto Fender Tweed-era amp -- AFAICT, a DPDT mini-toggle will do that nicely. I also replaced the output stage coupling caps with 600V Orange Drops -- a good move as the originals tend to fail (one of them in my other G40V recently did exactly that!).

Anyway, perhaps some other G40V/G60VR owners will find this helpful -- I'm nobody's circuit design engineer, but I'm happy to help to the extent my experience allows.
editorjuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
I bought my G-60VR at an auction about four years ago.

I saw it during the preview before our local auction . It was brand new, with the tags still in place. I knew I wanted it and I bought it the next day for $35.

I took it straight to my pro tech and had all the tubes swapped, biasing leads added and a standby switch installed in the rear right corner. Later, I ditched the stock speaker and installed a take-out from a Top Hat 2X12. I guess I have about $200 tied up in it but it was $$$ well spent.

I doubt that I'm going to keep it much longer. It's a killer amp for the price but the power is pretty much overkill for my needs. 60 watts is LOUD!
Let me know if/when you're ready to let it go -- I'd love to apply my G40V modding experience to its big brother!
editorjuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My dream amp would be a G40V with the reverb tank of a G60VR. I love having all that power in a little 1x10, and just wish it had built-in reverb because I tend to leave my 'verb settings alone for entire shows and prefer spring tanks over using a digital pedal.

Unfortunately, adding a tank to an amp that doesn't have one is a non-trivial mod.

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Even thought a reverb tank would be nice, I can live without reverb but must have a delay. Speaking of 10" speakers, I recently bought one of those Eminence Ragin Cajin speakers and just love it. Not in my G40V as it has a
12 ", but for a relativly cheap speaker it sounds great for my needs. I've got it mounted in a home made cab.

I know where there is another G40V in a antique shop for $150.00 with the backplate missing. That seemed high to me cause I picked mine up for $50.00 in like new condition. All and all, I guess it isn't too bad of a price. I never tested it. Platefire

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Why isn't there any pictures of a Pignose G60VR in this "Pignose G60VR Club!"?
DADGAD is offline   Reply With Quote