Hiwatt - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Amp Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom amps and special model amps from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Hiwatt

I know most are into wimpy amps these days. This 1973 Hiwatt 100, is by far the best amp I ever had, even at lower volume.
Never could find a Hiwatt cab, but, it does just fine with the old Fender cab with 2- 12" EVM 12S speakers with an open back.
One great feature of these amps is the tone knobs actually do something.

Thanks,

Don
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...telecaster.jpg

65flh5326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That is a serious piece of kit, Don.
I love the sound of a Hiwatt on song. Had one myself, many years ago. Killer amp.
As Ali G would say---"RESPEKT..."

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Me in 1983, at 15 years old with my Peavey T-60, a borrowed Hiwatt and red marshall stack - and a deaf keyboard player!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had this 74 DR103 untill a couple of months ago. I traded it for a 76 Super lead and cab. I didn't think I'd ever be able to afford another, but came accross this 73 DR112 three days later in a flea market.So lucky to have Hiwatt tone again. It sounds just like my ex DR103,but with a little more gain. No mid pot,but it makes up for that with an effects loop,pre out and the whole band can plug in.
marantz1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I've always wanted a real Hiwatt.

Betcha it'd be a killer bass amp, too!

Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi, took a few pages but I found you.
I recently bought a Hiwatt Maxwatt g110r. I know these maxwatts are lower
end of the scale and solid state but I gotta tellya it sparkles......super clean and power to boot.
Good dual distortion channels as well. Haven't tried it at gig levels yet so hope all goes well there.

Anyone had any experience with this model ?
china is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

"The place was really jumping to the Hiwatt Amps,
til a twenty inch cymbal fell and cut the lamps"

sorry, everytime I hear mention of Hiwatt Amps I immediately think of The Who.

My bad.
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

i have a HiWatt 4x12 in storage somewhere. haven't plugged her in in a while. sadly, i'm one of the converts to wimpy amps. but a '65 Ampeg Gemini dimed isn't that wimpy, as far as wimpy amps go! but yeah, i remember the volume days fondly.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hiwatt is my favorite amp, I had a combo in the early 90's 212 can't remember the model. But I would give anything to have it back, if I could afford it I would have one now. But their tube amps are high dollar, best sound I ever had. I was using a Tele and a Jackson USA-1 Soloist back in my Christain Metal days. Work good with a 410 cab. I will own one again. it played very good clean also.
Gary Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had a Custom 50 head i used with a 67 Bandmaster with original C12 Jensens, What a sound. I regret selling the almost everyday and its been 15 years.

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have an old Lead 30. Great little Bulldog of an amp!
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a newer Custom 50 head, use it with a Bogner 2x12 cab, killer sound!
livepulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I run Sound City mark 3's, 100 and 200 watts, through eminence pro speakers - this type of combination is pretty unbeatable in my opinion.

loud and clear.
gypsymoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hiwatt

I've got one of the last DR504, PC board, that was made at the Biacrown Electronics in UK, before they closed it, has a inspection date of 1984 and Harry Joyce name on the frame... It had 2 GT tubes. 1 Mullard ECC83, 2 Phillips ECC83, and a EH ECC83 in the PI...
The Mullard and Phillip tubes are dated from the 80,s the EH is newer 04... I just got 3 Mullard ECC81 I put one in the V4/PI and wow what a big difference that made in the overall tone... Took a small amount of drive out but left it with a cleaner usable tone... I wish I did this a couple of years ago when I bought it... It's like a new amp now it cleaned up the mud and noise that the EH was producing... The 4x12 cab is Avatar with Eminence GB128...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	087.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	125369  
CanadianCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've been playin' the heck outta my DR103 lately.
It's so weird because I've never had another amp with the dynamics and responsiveness of it and, cool as it is, it's also a bit frightning. Whenever I play it after playing an amp that, y'know, compresses, I feel like I'm playing wrong. Like I'm playing in reverse.
I love the way the low notes are so bold and deep without that Marshally way of drawing the chord toward that bass note (if that makes sense); the string seperation is divine. And with the way pick attack can stand out front, slugging out neanderthal open-chord rhythms isn't nearly as productive (or rewarding) as approaching arpeggiations or mixing up my game a bit.

I've never really been satisfied with any speaker pairings until recently, though. For a while I settled on some Weber Crescendo clones, which were mostly okay, but have recently gotten a "Hi-Tone" 212 that really matches every zing, clang, and shimmer that the Hiwatt can dare to bark out.

Yeah, getting them to crunch is a little nerve-wracking, but everything about the amp, especially in context of a band, is great...

[J.K.] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

NEW AMP DAY!!!!

NEW AMP DAY!!!!!!!!!

I just picked up a Sterling era Lead 30 Combo early 1980s.

I Roars! Gets pretty close to the Reeves era. Its as close as I'm going to get right now on my budget but i'm very happy with it. Comes close to my 1979 custom 50 from years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	153244  

Old November 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats Flakey!. My favorite amp ever that I've owned was an old Ampeg V-4, but a friend's Hi-Watt 100 head/cab killed just about as well. Different sounds, both amazing. I don't have much need for that loud of an amp at the moment, unfortunately. Those old cabinets were very heavy, very solid and heavy! Those old amps always turn heads from the first chord.
tele salivas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele salivas View Post
Congrats Flakey!. My favorite amp ever that I've owned was an old Ampeg V-4, but a friend's Hi-Watt 100 head/cab killed just about as well. Different sounds, both amazing. I don't have much need for that loud of an amp at the moment, unfortunately. Those old cabinets were very heavy, very solid and heavy! Those old amps always turn heads from the first chord.
I was in a band during my bass playing days (late 70s) in a power trio and the guitarist had a V4 stack and I played thru a Sunn 2000s (Not the 200s) with Sunn a 6 12" V shaped cab. TALK ABOUT HEAVY BUT OH THE STAGE VOLUME but that how is was in them days. We had a retired mail van for a band vehicle. You could hear the suspension springs creak as we loaded in our respective gear.

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakey View Post
NEW AMP DAY!!!!!!!!!

I just picked up a Sterling era Lead 30 Combo early 1980s.

I Roars! Gets pretty close to the Reeves era. Its as close as I'm going to get right now on my budget but i'm very happy with it. Comes close to my 1979 custom 50 from years ago.
My guitar tech had this Reeves era Lead 30. It was chock full of NOS Mullards. It was definitely the loudest 30 watts I've ever heard. I was there when he opened it up and sure enough Mr. Reeve's signature was inside the chassis.

Old November 26th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Blues View Post
My guitar tech had this Reeves era Lead 30. It was chock full of NOS Mullards. It was definitely the loudest 30 watts I've ever heard. I was there when he opened it up and sure enough Mr. Reeve's signature was inside the chassis.

Wow it looks just like mine. Um maybe I'm confused I thought the Reeves era only used EL 34s no matter the wattage. Mine has EL 84s also. Where was Reeves signature in the amp? I've done some looking about on the internet since yesterday and mine says Imported by Sterling but what I read was that Sterling made these amps in the US. It would be awesome if it was a Reeves era. Anyone more learned about this willing to offer up their knowledge?