Blackface Princeton (NR): Ragin' Cajun or Lil' Buddy? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Blackface Princeton (NR): Ragin' Cajun or Lil' Buddy?

For those who know the tone/volume profile of the non-Reverb Blackface Princeton, which 10" speaker would you choose and why?

A little background: I use a stock American Tele through this amp, and it has the stock Oxford 10L5. I'm looking for more volume, warmth, fullness, and a little less treble. Kind of a mix or the best of a 10" and a 12". I know the Lil' Buddy is supposed to be very smooth on top, but I read somewhere that it wasn't that great as far as volume. Anyone else hear this? The Cajun seems like it might fill out the mids nicely in a pretty scooped amp like this, and everyone says they are loud. But, the idea that I can finally put my Treble above 2 with the Lil' Buddy might be cool too.

I don't really know... any replies appreciated.

Thanks,
c-pop

chamberpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Or maybe Eminence Delta Demon -- seems like a smoother treble response, but it's the quietest of all the Patriot 10s and I need a boost from my Oxford 10.

Any insights?

Thank you
chamberpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Try a Jensen MOD 10-70.
slauson slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've got a '71 NR Princeton.

Came with the stock Fender Oxford ceramic speaker. Blahh. It's boxed up for safe keeping.

Next I put in a Carvin Vintage 10 that is supposed to be like Celestion 10. Louder but too bassy and boomy. I like those speakers better ( I have two) in a closed back cab.

Third up was a Weber alnico Blue Pup. Weber's 10" version of a Celestion Blue. I have never even thought of taking that speaker out in the three and half years it's been in there. Maybe if I tried others I'd find something I would like better, but I'm taking the "if ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

Isn't Emi making a 10" version of their Red Fang now? I've heard good things about the Fang and I believe they are plenty efficient if you want the most volume out of a 12 watt amp.

I've also run this through an extension with a 15F125 (too bright and thin) and a Emi Cannabis Rex (not bad but didn't get me jumping either).

BTW, I think that the NR Princeton's are one of the great steals in vintage amps these days. With a little looking you can still find them for under $400. And I love having this amp that can be turned up to 10 and not completely blow you away. But it stays cleaner at that level than a Champ....until you push it with some wide open P-90s. Yum.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/...tandzsmall.jpg
telel6s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Eminence Ramrod. I have them in my 2x10 cab thing they are warm and full as you decibed. Great price too.

Check out my band!
Five Long Years
mistermullens is offline   Reply With Quote