Will Marshall JTM 45 Do Clean? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 26th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Will Marshall JTM 45 Do Clean?

I've chance of getting a Marshall JTM 45, will these do a decent clean sound with a Tele or Archtop, or are they for the distorted rockers?
Vikki)uk

vikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
I've chance of getting a Marshall JTM 45, will these do a decent clean sound with a Tele or Archtop, or are they for the distorted rockers?
Vikki)uk
I think they do a great clean, but I'm a marshall kind of guy. Yes, they also get nice and distorted if you crank it. The circuit is bass heavy, so the bass stays on 2 or lower. I like using an A/B/Y switch with 4 input marshals to switch between normal, bright, or both channels.

Also, they are really only about 30-35watts, so keep that in mind if you have clean headroom requirements.

Last edited by reddart; January 26th, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
reddart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Perfect clean amps unless you turn them way up. Most JTM45 users just dime them out, but these are really just a take on the old Tweed Bassman circuit. Steve Cropper used these during those Motown tours way back when. If you get a good deal on one of these, don't pass it up.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

wind the amp up...then turn down your volume on the guitar for the cleans....works great!
fierce_carrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_carrot View Post
wind the amp up...then turn down your volume on the guitar for the cleans....works great!
+1, I always keep my amp volumes from 8-10 and use the guitar vol pots....
reddart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddart View Post
+1, I always keep my amp volumes from 8-10 and use the guitar vol pots....
the most UNDERUSED effect in guitar playing is the volume control....
fierce_carrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibber124 View Post
Steve Cropper used these during those Motown tours way back when.
It was Stax and it was only during one trip to the UK (circa '67). Can you imagine the look on thier faces when they saw those huge amps! On that tour they shot some very popular footage of many great acts all of which Booker T & the MGs (including Steve Cropper & Duck Dunn) were the back up band.
Tim Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Swartz View Post
It was Stax and it was only during one trip to the UK (circa '67). Can you imagine the look on thier faces when they saw those huge amps! On that tour they shot some very popular footage of many great acts all of which Booker T & the MGs (including Steve Cropper & Duck Dunn) were the back up band.
That Stax/Volt Revue in The UK is awesome (an overused word to be sure but absolutely appropriate in this case) Otis Redding and Sam & Dave kick it into another gear.
I like JTM's they're a Soulful Amp - very full bodied.
Even the reissues are nice.

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Right-Stax. Too early in the morning!

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The JTM 45 does a stellar clean, in my experience. It's not a Fender clean, nor a JC 120 clean. It's rich and warm, one of my favorite clean tones. Largely underappreciated and underutilized by guitar players.
Durtdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I agree - the JTM45 is one of my favorite clean tones, too, very full and warm, careful with the bass pot, though!

I don't have the "real thing", though, just a Weber 6M45 (their JTM45 clone; I have the version with KT66 tubes, which are a huge part of "THE" JTM45 sound) that I built myself, and this is my main amp right now; I use it clean all the time, and get my dirt from pedals; mine stays clean until about 10:00 or 11:00 on the dial (and is WAAAAY too loud for my band before it starts breaking up seriously - this thing has quite enough clean headroom to keep up with an unmiked drummer...)

Are you going to picku up the combo version (aka the "Bluesbreaker"), or the JTM45 head? If it is the latter, consider using a different option than the traditional 4x12" closed-back cabs the rockers are using - I personally use a cab that combines a 10" and a 12" speaker, and I think 10" speakers would be perfect partners if you mainly want to play clean, and could also keep the tons of bass on this amp in check a bit; and after all, the JTM45's "daddy", the Fender Bassman 5F6A, also used 4x10" speakers...
RomanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Great info thanks everyone.........
Just had a funny thought....i have a 60's....70's? Marshall Artist combo at my mums house it has two Green Back speakers and two EL 34's plus reverb.....no master volume. Could this be a JTM 45 variant, i'd forgotten all about this one. I think i have a 4 off EL34 version, with illuminated rocker switches, head, that must be a 70's one.... i pinched a couple of EL 34 out of that one a few weeks back
I'm going to view the JTM 45 next week, i don't think it will be cheap though......details a bit lacking at the moment...
Regards
Vikki(uk)
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote