Rivera Clubster/Pubster 45 112? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Rivera Clubster/Pubster 45 112?

I am looking at picking up another 1-12 tube combo with reverb. I have a Gibson GA15RV that sounds great but is hard to adjust at gigs as the controls are on the back and all the way at the bottom...not a huge deal as there is only Volume, Tone and Reverb along with the Power switch but frustrating on dark stages while holding guitars.

A Deluxe Reverb RI would probably suit me just fine, has all the knobs on the front, etc. I'll probably go down that road soon.

I would like to hear some feedback if possible on any experiences with the RIVERA Clubster/Pubster 45 112. I have plugged into one of these once, but at super low volume in a shop. No one I know has one, so I was hoping someone here would have some comments on these amps performance and sounds. They seem almost like the same amp feature wise to each other.

I'll be using the amp for alt. country/country/blues and some rock. Any other cool 1-12 tube amps I should check out under a grand? I don't mind used amps...

Thanks in advance for the help!

RustleFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

you might want to check the alessandro working dog series, or the groove tubes soul 45 amp
Alter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Clubsters/ Pubsters are great amps. They have a crystal clear clean tone and the dirty channel can go from vintage crunch to heavy distortion. I play a Clubster 25 watt 110. Rivera also now has a Clubster 25 watt 112 called the Clubster Doce. The 25 watters have 2 6V6's and the 45 watters are EL-34 driven. I like 6V6's myself.

The DRRI gives you a tube rectifier tube and superior reverb.
The Clubster/Pubster gives you a truly roadworthy amp built like a tank and great reliability. While both are pcb amps, my tech says that Rivera's boards are far sturdier than Fender's.

Both great amps, I tend to lean toward the Rivera cause I like to play a little Ramones /Clash/Stooges mixed in with my Luther/Waylon/JJ. (Not that I can really play like those guys)
tlsmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I played the pubster yesterday and loved it - I have a DRRI currently.
Pubster is a totally different animal I think although its got nice clean headroom. It is built like a brick poophouse and very compact. It would handle giigging/road well and is easier to haul around than the DRRI not because its any lighter, but becasue its more compact. Both are plug and play amps and you couldnt go wrong with either. Would I trade my DRRI for it? No. Was it too much similar to the DRRI for me to buy it and AB it (which is what I'm looking for) yes. I'm still heading down the Marshall path as I can't find anything to sound like a Marshall, except a Marshall. The only reason to select the pubster over DRRI IMHO is for its sturdyness. That said, I've never had any sturdyness issues with the DRRI either. But the pubster would fitt nicely on the passenger seat of any sub compact, whereas the DRRI won't. Both are pedal friendly amps. The DRRI sounds well....like a fender - the pubster doesnt sound as good as the DRRI clean IMHO. Or maybe I should say its not that the pubster doesnt sound good clean, just doesn't chime like the DRRI in a natural way. Try both side by side.
chabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabby View Post
I played the pubster yesterday and loved it - I have a DRRI currently.
- the pubster doesnt sound as good as the DRRI clean IMHO. Or maybe I should say its not that the pubster doesnt sound good clean, just doesn't chime like the DRRI in a natural way. Try both side by side.
That's because the Pub doesn't have a clean channel. I talked with Rivera before buying my Club 25 (awesome amp) and they said if you need cleans, go with the Club over Pub, as it has the dedicated clean channel. The Pub is more like the Lead channel of the Club, which can give you a jazzy clean but nothing like the BF tones of the Club's clean channel.
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmack View Post
The Clubsters/ Pubsters are great amps. They have a crystal clear clean tone and the dirty channel can go from vintage crunch to heavy distortion. I play a Clubster 25 watt 110. Rivera also now has a Clubster 25 watt 112 called the Clubster Doce. The 25 watters have 2 6V6's and the 45 watters are EL-34 driven. I like 6V6's myself.

The DRRI gives you a tube rectifier tube and superior reverb.
The Clubster/Pubster gives you a truly roadworthy amp built like a tank and great reliability. While both are pcb amps, my tech says that Rivera's boards are far sturdier than Fender's.

Both great amps, I tend to lean toward the Rivera cause I like to play a little Ramones /Clash/Stooges mixed in with my Luther/Waylon/JJ. (Not that I can really play like those guys)
im so glad this thread was started, im in the market for a new amp and it jusy so happens i was checking this amp out. and its good that you can get a ramones/clash sound out of it, mainly cause thats what i want and of course you can forget my all time fave pete townshend.
whiskeyonsunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the feedback regarding this, very helpful and interesting! Good stuff!
RustleFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

A little different, but just to throw it in the mix:
I have a Chubster 40, and it's one of my most favorite amps. Wonderful tone. Rock solid construction. And the folks at Rivera are wonderful. I had some biasing questions and they actually faxed me everything I needed to get it right. The only complaint I've ever heard about the amp is that the Reverb isn't pedal switchable. But to be honest, I find myself using less and less reverb the more I learn how to play. :)
Gr8tfulEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Rivera Clubster

Just gigged with my buddy's Rivera Clubster 45 and I have to say this amp is very special we play rather loud and I only had it at 3.4-4 on volume with only the clean channel - I love the EL-34's on this thing and the clean is pristine open sounding but tight also very responsive - I do Hendrix and Trower and I have a pedal board that drives my tone - Cry Baby Classic>>>Tonebone Classic>>Prescription Vibe>>Fulldrive 2>>>Boss DD-3 when I kicked the Tonebone in the amp just sang like crazy - beautiful sustain, killer tone and for a 1x12 combo this thing held it's own against my Marshall 2x12 cab and head it was amazing really..For such a small amp!! I also have a Boogie MkII C+ and I would put the Rivera up there with it - it may not be as punchy as my Boog but the amp is very musical - I didn't use the gain channel because I drive everything from my pedal board - the rhythm on this amp is fantastic and it never got mushy or weak when I drove it with all my stuff on!!! I'm very impressed with Rivera and can see myself getting one of these amps - there's a reason Chris Duarte has used these in the past...
Funkydawg is offline   Reply With Quote