Best Sounding Modeling Amp? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Best Sounding Modeling Amp?

Looking for opinions on best sounding modeling amp. Is there one?

Thanks.

Johnny Halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Of the ones I've played... I like the Vox valvetronix series. Though I don't have a tube amp to compare it to, it's one of the better-sounding amps I have played. I own the 30-watt version, and it kicks butt.
aznrambo481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
tdu
Friend of Leo's

I'd have to go with the Line 6 Flextone III personally.
tdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Got my daughter a Vox Ad100vt last year, and for a solid state amp it kicks ass. Purchased it new on closeout for $400.

I think they have the 50watt 2x12 at Guitar Center for $299.
casadyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The street price for the 30-watt is $239.
aznrambo481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

For my money, its vox hands down. I've never tried the Line6 flextone, but its good enough for Pete Anderson. But from what I've tried, the line6 Spiders don't hold a candle to the similar priced Vox models. There is at least a little something extra in that single tube vox puts in the power section. -Something that makes its just a little more responsive, more alive in my opinion.
Brian blaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm not a fan of any modeling amps but I took a friend shopping a few months ago and we settled on the Line 6 over the Vox. He's more of a rocker and the Line 6 had better raunchy tones. Probably check them both out as the answer may depend on the type music you play.

Old December 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

the VOX's are sweet...too bad they don't make em look pretty like they used to...but they're a lot cheaper now too, so, i guess you take the trade off.

I have a roland cube now and i like it, but only two of the models really work for the kind of music i play. with the vox, i had like 4-5 different tones i could dip into...

I don't miss my VOX though, the Cube does what it needs to do for me, and i love the fact that VOX helped fund my thinline...
jazztele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi

I have: VOX AD60VTX (for gigs) and VOX AD50VT (at home, spare, rehearsals, sessions), both sound superb. They are dependable, and not too heavy. However, one should know, that the AD50VT can only save two individual sounds, plus one manual sound that cannot be stored. Compared to the AD60VTX, which can save up to 128 sounds. Maybe one mistake I made was buying the big floorboard for the 60VTX, it is huge (10 buttons, 2 pedals), very rugged and dependable, but can be a problem in very small clubs/venues. For the 50VT, there's only a Fender-like 2-button footswitch.

I had a Flextone I, which was good at it's time, as it was one of the first modeling amps available. But too thin sounding, therefore I replaced the speaker, with slightly better results. Our band's other guitar player has a Flextone II 1x12", which is indeed much better than the FT I, but IMHO (and his!) the Vox sounds way better.

go for the VOXes, you won't regret

btw: not affiliated in any way.

Cheers!

Barney Kessel
Rhubarb Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like the Roland Cubes for the money. I'd also look at the Fender Cyber series for Fender amp tones.
bluescube is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescube View Post
I like the Roland Cubes for the money. I'd also look at the Fender Cyber series for Fender amp tones.
+1 on the Cyber.
Gr8tfulEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

For home the VoxVT30 is perfect. You can snag a new one at GC for less than $200 out the door. They created quite a stir for good reason.

More powerfull and less portable offerings from the others will do the trick on a bar stage such as the Line6's Flextone III and Roland's Cube 60 and of course Vox's more powerful VT amp. Fender's only Cyber amp in production still is the SE. It's quite a few $$$.

Offerings from Crate, Marshall and Peavey in this territory just don't stack up and you don't see as much praise for them across the Net.
Wildhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Not that I'm a fan of modeling amps but they do have their place. I was really impressed by the Line 6 Spider Valve. They teamed up with Bogner and produced a wicked amp. This amp is a must to check out although the price may be a big ticket

http://line6.com/spidervalve/tour.html
tonebender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've had a Vox ad100vth and it was ok for the clean amps that it modeled but wasn't even close for the high gain stuff,my friend has a line 6 flextone and its also just ok...I'm currently using a Roland vg99,running it stereo,left side(hex pu) to my p.a. and the right side (mag pu) to my rack and into my blues deville.its way more programming,but the end result is awesome.
hupur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If you haven't played a Peavey Tube Vypyr, go do it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

My brother has used his VOX AD30vt for something like 250 gigs over the last two and a half years without a single problem, and it sounds amazing. We mic it up, of course...

Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

from my experience, the discontinued Crate DX series is worth a listen ... and the price is right ...

Old July 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The 2 best are The Vox Valvetronic series and Line 6. Line 6 is better for modern rock, hard rock, and metal whereas the Vox is better suited to cleans, blues, country, and classic rock sounds. The Line 6 has a very in your face crunch and the cleans seem to lack character IMO. The Vox is better for my tastes so I like it better, but if you're looking to do heavy distortion the Line 6 would be a better choice. Keep in mind that I own neither, I just go to Guitar Center a lot.

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Myself I would not get a modeling amp I would get a good tube amp and use a modeling pedal then you have the best of both worlds. I have enjoyed my Digitech RP pedals so much I have three of them and they sound good through SS or tube amps. I have a RP 80 and two 50's. I use one 50 just for the delay for my small PA system and it works great.
jh45gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't know about best. I have had a Vox AD30VT and I have tried a Fender SuperChamp XD. The Fender sounds a bit more tubelike whereas the Vox has more tweakable effects and has footswitchable channels and effect on/off.

Klas