12" Jensen Neo's - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

12" Jensen Neo's

I have read a few favorable comments from a few here on the 12" Jensen Neo speakers. I posted looking for opinions on another forum and got the following response. Basically I'm looking for any specific experience with any brand of 12" Neo speaker as well as any comment on the following response.

This is what Ted Weber says about Neo speakers

Quote:
I get asked a lot about neo speakers and how they evolved for this market. Here are my thoughts.
We engineers get all giddy about energy and power, so when the neo came along speaker engineers went crazy because of all the energy in a much smaller package. Where we would typically have 11K of energy in an AlNiCo, and maybe 13K of energy in a ceramic, they had over 15K in a neo. That's nice, except we can go overboard on anything and this is no exception. That much energy oversensitized the speakers and made them hard and harsh at high volumes with distortion. The first ones were unbearable.
Eminence and Celestion got a handle on it and made the necessary changes. As a result, they both have very good neo guitar speakers. The rest of the marketers are still clueless, apparently.
I started out designing ours with the AlNiCo energy as a target. The first question is... "why would someone purposely not take advantage of the energy in the neo" My answer is because I was shooting for a tone, not a contest winning energy level, and the light weight is a bonus. So, that's where we are.
The neo energy on our NeoMag™ Series speaker is the same as the AlNiCo magnet circuit it emulates.
As a result, they sound the same. Virtually identical.

Ted's been working on these speakers for years (like ten or so), and I think he's only just started selling them.

I still haven't heard much about them.

Old December 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Mine sounds great...even mixed with a Weber SB in a 2x12....we "can" all just get along if we try!
frank4001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
tdu
Friend of Leo's

I love mine too. They have such a huge, tight bottom which is what really appeals to. Sort of a middle ground between ceramic and alnico to my ears when it comes to highs.
tdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I guess you're both talking about the Jensens. What made you decide on these speakers? I haven't heard them and there are not many reviews on them or any Neo speakers for guitar.

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I went to a local shop and tried them out side by side with several other Jensens and Emi's. I thought the Neo 12 and 10 were excellent. I ended up with a Neo 10 for my old Gibson GA-18T, but I went with a Jensen RI P12Q for my wide panel Deluxe to keep the volume down for recording. If I ever need more volume from that amp, the Neo 12 would get the nod. They are very loud and transparent sounding speakers. The weight reduction is a plus.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nub
Tele-Afflicted

Bob/335,

My only experience has been with Jensen Neos, and so far, I love them. I have a 15" in my Delta Blues, and it's one of the nicest sounding speakers I've heard. It's far from harsh, it's actually very smooth, and does both clean & od/distortion equally well. I'm also getting ready to install a 12" Neo in my BFPR clone, and I already know it's going to sound great.

Why the Jensen's over the Webers? Well, the Jensen's are less money, have been available for quite a while now (with no wait when you order them!), and I've never really been thrilled with the Weber speakers I've tried. That's just me... YMMV.
Nub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2007, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
tdu
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I guess you're both talking about the Jensens. What made you decide on these speakers? I haven't heard them and there are not many reviews on them or any Neo speakers for guitar.
Bob, I bought a Reverend Goblin that had one in it stock (10"). I was immediately struck by the bottom end on it, and got a 12" inch one to put in my 1x12 cabinet. I love to mix it with the cab and the speakers in my amps.
tdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nub View Post
Bob/335,

My only experience has been with Jensen Neos, and so far, I love them. I have a 15" in my Delta Blues, and it's one of the nicest sounding speakers I've heard. It's far from harsh, it's actually very smooth, and does both clean & od/distortion equally well. I'm also getting ready to install a 12" Neo in my BFPR clone, and I already know it's going to sound great.

Why the Jensen's over the Webers? Well, the Jensen's are less money, have been available for quite a while now (with no wait when you order them!), and I've never really been thrilled with the Weber speakers I've tried. That's just me... YMMV.

Check out the weight on the Weber Neos (and the price) and you'll kinda wonder why they bothered.
postjob62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

5 lbs. vs. 8 1/2 lbs. That's a 7lb difference for 2-12's. Hmmmm. Definitely more money but you are talking USA made vs Italy.

Someone mentioned they got a killer deal on the Jensens. I think I'm ready to pull the plug. Anyone know the best place to get them?

Wonder what a stock Oxford weighs?

Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I am. A speaker re-builder here in Memphis recomended it to me. I figured he'd know a good speaker when he saw/heard them so I just took his advice and gave it a shot. Its worked well, for me, with every amp I've tried it in..

Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Nub
Tele-Afflicted

I've bought my Jensen Neo's from Antique Electronic Supply:

http://tubesandmore.com/

They ship very quickly, have stuff in stock, and their prices are good. Sometimes, they have "test" speakers for sale, too; they come with a full warranty, but are a bit less money.

Btw, the 15" Neo dropped 9 lbs. off of my Delta Blues...
Nub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I must say that I have tried the neo's in my amps and in Fender's that I have serviced, and never really cared for them. And I am an OEM Jensen dealer, but would get them for anyone that needed one. I think the Alnico and Ceramic are still the best, kind of what T. Weber was referring to above.
Freight Twang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here are some observations on speakers I've had over the years...maybe its helpful.

EV12 in a Deluxe Reverb:
Loud (no ***** right?), great bass and defintion, However this set up in the wrong room an be a little much. All amp breakup so use good tubes and pickups. I''ve had great nights with Les Pauls and Strats.

Jenesen Neo
EV like but not as loud. Very balanced. Doesn't cut allot but who wants to "cut"?....I rather bludgeon with a rubber hammer(my attempt at humor)

Weber Silver Bell
Warm and full but a bit too "soft" on a gig situation for me. I could see other folks loving it.

Mojotone BV30V
Suprized by the good clean tone and nice break up but, similar to the Weber, didn't quite have the "jangle" I find myself looking for. Too much mid for me I think.

Reverend All-tone
To me its about the perfect speaker for a Deluxe Reverb. Good defintion, not harsh, strong warm treble. Good headroom. Its in a sweetspot for me.

BF Tremolux,
Weber 15" F150, 50 watt, 4 ohm. Its my favorite amp. Great with a Tele 'cuase you get these big clear lows and a soft treble that can still bite. Fenders and Marshalls sound great through this cab (a Trutone) as do humbuckers and single coils..It sounds a little bassy at first but you'll find yourself finding all the good stuff after a little time with it. Not too loud either...Think btween a Deluxe Reverb and a Pro reverb.

Weber G1265 and 50 watt Silver Bell Ceramic. in a Mojo 2x12 extension. Really good with this amp. Brings out a very full tone. Not harsh at all. I have a TrainWreck clone that this combo didn't work with..got strident on the bass. Like a Jack hammer to the head.

JTM45
Celestion G12H/Greenback in an old wood 1936.
Just not clear enough when when pushed..kind of ragged.
Jensen Neo/SB in a small Fender 2x12, 1/4 open back..Just great. All there. Every amp. BF bassman, Tremolux, Super Reverb. Just easy to dial in. Loud but not too much.

Weber 50 watt Bluedog/Mojotone BV30V in a 1936. This one is starting to grow on me allot. The Weber gets the big clean and BV30 has a warm early break up. Both speakers farily new...I'm hopoing the Weber smooths out a bit int he high end. The Fender cab above beats it as far as being easy to dial in but the 1936 desearves some time.

I have more but I burned the bacon(again!). Anyway I don't claim to have the greatest ears, I play in cover bands (mostly subbing in three different ones). Play about twice a month. I used play more hard core Chicago style blues back in the day when I also won the decathalon and dated Christy Brinkly....The older I get the better musician I used to be...Seriously just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I used the Deluxe Reverb/6L6/ss rectifier/EV speaker set up for a long time back in the day and it always got the job done well. I play mostly Strats and Tele's, have a couple of real vintage ones I got cheap...again , back in the day...thats it.... Merry Christmas!