Vox AD30VT, tube & speaker replacement - recommendations - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Vox AD30VT, tube & speaker replacement - recommendations

I am the new owner of a used VOX AD30VT - and I like it a lot... however, it's probably a couple of years old. so, I'd like to replace the 12AX7 in it with a new tube so I know what I'm hearing and I'm looking for recommendations -

And I'm thinking that down the line I'll be looking for a new speaker too... I hear the Webers are good, but which one?

In short, I'm not really refurb'ing it, but I want to get it as good as I can and start from there...

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Everyone's mileage will vary, of course, but I put a JJ tube and a Weber Signature Series Ceramic Sig 10S in mine. Man, night and day. Tight tone is the only way I can describe it. Stock sounded sloppy by comparison, and frankly, it wasn't that bad to begin with.
Gr8tfulEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You may also want to check on a NeoDog Celestion. These were put in the AD60VTX and sound great!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
You may also want to check on a NeoDog Celestion. These were put in the AD60VTX and sound great!
I've heard good things about this speaker too.

Old December 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Not sure if you're aware of this great forum, but it is dedicated to Valvetronix amps and they might have some good ideas for you as well: http://www.valvetronix.net/forum

Old December 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've been thinking about this myself, getting an AD30VT and replacing the speaker with something fabulous. Here's my conundrum: this is a digital modeling amp. The tones of the various models (and their speakers) are digital effects. The stock speaker's probably a generic, middle-of-the-road model and the "tone" is created and reproduced.

In other words, putting a top-of-the-line speaker, like a Celestion Blue from an AC-15, might mess with how everything sounds. Putting in a "toneful" speaker might be at cross purposes with the speaker tones modeled by the amp.

Despite all that, I really wanna do it! There was a Valvetronix thread a few weeks back where a guy said that he wished he could find a real AC-15 that sounded as good as his AD30VT set for AC-15. When I had a AD60VT, the AC-15 was my favorite setting. I wonder what a Celestion Blue (which costs more than the whole amp, I know) would sound like in an AD15VT or AD30VT (I know, there are speaker size issues, 8" & 10" respectively).

Old December 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

aunchaki... this is an interesting point you make.

Vox, as with Line 6, have chosen 'modeling' type speakers that supposedly handle the wide array of different sounds that the amps produce (a flatter response) for their amps.

I found this online and found it interesting about the stock Vox Valvetronix VT series speakers:
The Celestion 70/80 is a great sounding, well balanced all around economic 12 inch guitar speaker in the General Line of Celestion with good bass, strong mids and highs and sounds fantastic clean or crunchy ...Its relatively accurate and neutral sounding. It's used as stock combo speakers by companies like Laney, Randall, Traynor.
With this in mind, I always wanted to upgrade my Flextone speakers to see if I'd be happier. Also, the Vox AD60VTX (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/ad60vtx.asp) uses the NeoDogs and so do the AC30 112's! They are amazing... so go figure!

I think it may also depend on your favorite settings (amp mods) of your Valvetronix along with your guitar. I've heard of people buying an AD50VT and immediately upgrading the speakers and being happy.

Old December 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I think aunchaki does make a good point. However, it might be worth considering the role the player plays in tone too. True, my AD30VT is a modeling amp that, in theory, crosses the gamut between tweed and metal. And perhaps the original speaker is meant to handle that range. But I don't play probably 2/3rds of what this amp models. I mostly use the Dumble Clean (Boutique) and AC 15 or 30 settings. So finding a speaker that performs well with just those two or three "models" makes since for me (but perhaps not for someone wishing full access to all models)

Old December 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tfulEd View Post
perhaps the original speaker is meant to handle that range. But I don't play probably 2/3rds of what this amp models. I mostly use the Dumble Clean (Boutique) and AC 15 or 30 settings. So finding a speaker that performs well with just those two or three "models" makes since for me
A very good point. When I had a AD60VT, I stuck pretty much to the VOX and Fender models. I wouldn't really care if the tone of the high-gain models was hurt by a new speaker.

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've got a Vox AD30VT, had it for a couple months before I started to look around for a speaker replacement. After looking around on the boards I decided on a Celestion G10, this is the one you want for a Vox 30, muchhhhh tighter base and general overall clarity. It's a tad expensive at 85.00 but your ears will thank you. Where it really shines is when cranked up you don't get the muddiness and rumbling.
Hiram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Celestion sounds good... how 'bout the tube (12AX7)?

I appreciate the help getting this figured out. I'd been wondering about the modeling aspect of these amps, and thought maybe I'd need a good speaker to just pass through the sound of the amp... so the Celestion sounds good - I'll go looking for one, unless someone talks me out of it.

Now... how about the tube? If'n I'm gonna take this apart, I'll replace the tube at the same time... any suggestions? Electro Harmonix?

Old December 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Good to see more Coloradans here!
casadyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I asked Ted Weber his opinion on a speaker replacement for my AD50VT. He suggested the California ceramic. I put one in and have been very happy. It's a high powered speaker and I believe is based on JBL's, so it's design is to be very clean with a lot of headroom. If you think about it, that's what you want for a modeling amp. The amp doesn't need the speaker to color the sound, as the amp takes care of that task. I'm sure there's others that will work, but I know that the Weber California will enhance these great Vox amps.

As for the tubes, I haven't changed one out but if I do, it'll probably be a JJ.

Old December 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'm about to tear my AD15 apart and make it into a head (trying to find a good source for nice lumber).

When I do so, I'll try swapping out the 12AX7 with the 2 dozen or so that I have on hand.

It may not be very applicable here, though, as most of them are older goodies - a few old 7025's, some ECC81's, a Telefunken, etc.

As for speakers - I think that coloration can work, if you are sticking to certain models. While it is ultimately a SS power amp section, the tube is still utilized there to make it behave much more unlike others I've come across.

I've got a couple of Celestion 12's and a Weber Cali 10 that I will try. I've also got an Emi Governor that I plan to try as well. In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up sticking with a Legend - they seem to work great with just about everything.

Old December 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Sounds like you've got a project

I'll be interested to see what you end up thinking is best... and it sounds like you'll have the right resources to get through a good process... and I like the idea of making it into a head...

Keep us/me posted!

Old January 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

So... I'm going to replace the speaker, now...

...anyone know, just offhand, whether I've got an 8-ohm or a 16-ohm in my AD30VT?

... I know... I know... I'll just take off the back...

11-Gauge - any luck on your rebuild?

Happy New Year, ALL!

Old January 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by directordoug View Post
...anyone know, just offhand, whether I've got an 8-ohm or a 16-ohm in my AD30VT?

... I know... I know... I'll just take off the back...

Happy New Year, ALL!

IT'S AN 8 ohm

Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I put Weber 10A150T to my AD30VT and I love it. The Alnico Weber is for sure on "loose" bass side but very pretty complex overtone. If I had a chance
to start over again, I might go for the Jensen P10R for much less money.
I suggest you ask yourself first: do I need ceramic (tight bass but a little
harsh) or alnico (loose bass but smooth and warm) then you choose the
right model in that magnet world. Speaker upgrade is an very expensive thing
since you can not predict the result prior to try.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by directordoug View Post
I'm about halfway there. I know that I'm building a 2X10 cab, with one half being pushed by a ceramic Cali 10. I'm still futzing over the other half, and whether or not to make an open or closed back cab.

I'm currently looking for a good pine source - then the AD will become a head. I'll probably go with a green stain.

Old July 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Anything ever come about from everyone's experimenting with tubes and speaker swaps? My ad30vt sounds super muddy/bassy and has some high pitched noises that I am wondering about. I got it used and wonder if the 12ax7 needs to be replaced. Maybe it has went harmonic?
forgivenick is offline   Reply With Quote